NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Agree 100% LA. If it's the Bills bus, I'm on it. Even if Rex is driving. And i'm praying (figuratively, of course) we get to our destination unscathed.

In terms of entertainment value, think of it like a Hunter S. Thompson book (Ryan) vs. an episode of Criminal Minds (Marrone).

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck did what he did. Rebuilt a terrible team into a good respectable team. But he wasn't the guy to get you to the next level, unfortunately. Like Marty Schottenheimer, his sphincter tightened up during the playoffs and he was WAY too conservative.

Ground Chuck still was one of the Bills better coaches.

Knox' problem in Buffalo was the team was never healthy when the playoffs rolled around. I agree with the comparison to Marty, though I'm not sure he ever took the most talented team in the NFL to the playoffs, something Marty did a number of times.

Why were the Bills players upset when announced he was leaving? Why did they play so hard for him. I think the idea the players didn't like Marrone is absurd,.

Not all of them did for sure. Practicing the day after a pre season game? Remember the backlash after a fight in camp? "that's what you get"

Think Mike Williams is a fan? Goodwin? Bryce Brown? CJ? I'm sure I'm missing a few. I think he has plenty of guys on the team that will be quite happy at this whole turn of events. But you are correct that some players were upset. Although upset for different reasons. I think of something Stevie said about Chan years ago. We like him cause he came here when no one else wanted to. Now think some of the players today are thinking wtf is this guy abandoning us for?

And then to have someone in the front office send a mass text to them? No class.

There are reasons guys would like him too though. Think of all the **** Dareus was in during the off season and in camp. He kept that quiet for him and I'm sure that was appreciated so I'll give him that but I am so happy he's gone and I was glad to have him at first.

Chuck did what he did. Rebuilt a terrible team into a good respectable team. But he wasn't the guy to get you to the next level, unfortunately. Like Marty Schottenheimer, his sphincter tightened up during the playoffs and he was WAY too conservative.

I agree 100%, Dean. He's what the Bills needed at the time though to bring them out of the barren '70s (1 playoff appearance in '74). His defense in 1980 was fantastic & 'The Bermuda Triangle' was fun to watch. Had Fergy not been hobbled by a bum ankle in San Diego, I do think that the Bills would've gone to the Super Bowl that year and Knox may have been able to shed the "not the guy to get you to the next level" tag.

In terms of entertainment value, think of it like a Hunter S. Thompson book (Ryan) vs. an episode of Criminal Minds (Marrone).

:lol:

But I actually like Criminal Minds. (But not as much as I like Hunter.)

Not all of them did for sure. Practicing the day after a pre season game? Remember the backlash after a fight in camp? "that's what you get"

Think Mike Williams is a fan? Goodwin? Bryce Brown? CJ? I'm sure I'm missing a few. I think he has plenty of guys on the team that will be quite happy at this whole turn of events. But you are correct that some players were upset. Although upset for different reasons. I think of something Stevie said about Chan years ago. We like him cause he came here when no one else wanted to. Now think some of the players today are thinking wtf is this guy abandoning us for?

And then to have someone in the front office send a mass text to them? No class.

There are reasons guys would like him too though. Think of all the **** Dareus was in during the off season and in camp. He kept that quiet for him and I'm sure that was appreciated so I'll give him that but I am so happy he's gone and I was glad to have him at first.

You seem to be bunching a lot of complaints together here. Some of which have nothing to do with whether he was liked (generally) by his players, while he was HC of the Bills. Some of the comments about Marrone around here remind me of a high school girl after a break up. "He was so mean to me. I never liked him. And I'm SOOO upset he didn't take me to the prom."

First of all, I toss out that pre-season stuff, especially neither you nor I know exactly what went on. As for the guys who he didn't play, well---duh! Sure some guys hold a grudge. Who's the player that, after leaving the Jets, and landing elsewhere said, "I am finally being coached"?

The mass email has ZERO to do with how his players felt about him while he was their HC (which was the point here). If the players hated him, they'd simply be glad he was gone, no?

I agree 100%, Dean. He's what the Bills needed at the time though to bring them out of the barren '70s (1 playoff appearance in '74). His defense in 1980 was fantastic & 'The Bermuda Triangle' was fun to watch. Had Fergy not been hobbled by a bum ankle in San Diego, I do think that the Bills would've gone to the Super Bowl that year and Knox may have been able to shed the "not the guy to get you to the next level" tag.

Definitely what the Bills needed. I was kind of hoping they would bring in a guy like Hank Stram toward the end of Knox's reign to take over.

The mass email has ZERO to do with how his players felt about him while he was their HC (which was the point here). If the players hated him, they'd simply be glad he was gone, no?

I for one am simply glad he's gone. I'll leave it at that.

Cool . You are a thoughtful man and I also have an intense dislike for those who talk as you describe . When it comes to that person actually defending others in a moment of danger I am usually left getting hit alone while they run or cower . I don't believe Rex would back down from a fight although I think his brother would start one and let everyone else get hit . I hope you are wrong about Rex , if that's true it is a very dangerous her because his bravado can only last do long until he is asked to back it up in some way .. Kids love the bravado because many athletes are introverts despite their strength . I am hoping that he has garnered the redirect in the locker room because he runs his mouth in the media bit is a stand up guy when it counts . I am afraid to ask if you know an example where he was a punk .. Many trust find babies don't mature until late in life and both he and his brother were exposed to a real football intellects in the men who hired his father and maybe buddy himself buddy buddy was only a good d coordinator not a good head coach .

Marrone was petty and small which are bad qualities to lead men, I think only true heart wins championships over getting behind a genius who is socially inept . That social retardation is why I am glad we aren't being led by Schwartz because he has the vibe of an intelligent punk who will yell when held back by others but would stand like a deer in the headlights if he had to actually defend himself . I am happier about Rex over Schwartz snd marrone because neither of those two are leaders of me. Just pretty good coordinators . I wouldn't even let marrone coach an I line after it was confirmed he denegrated his underlings which creates a horrible pall over any workplace

Well .. I have to thank you for your response and please answer with examples if you have them .. I sense Rex will actually defend himself and others and seems to have better character than marrone or Schwartz but plays a role as a clown for the media because it works for him .. If you know otherwise please reveal because I want to like the hire. Btw I don't think terry is very bright and am amazed he amassed all that money but I am so grateful to anyone that saved two major components so essential to the identity of our hometown

I should edit more on my phone ..apologies

Sad that "one of the Bills better coaches" was barely above 0.500 during his tenure here...but it's true,

I for one am simply glad he's gone. I'll leave it at that.

Fair enough. And I'm sure, after what went down, many of his players and fellow coaches feel the same. The question I have is, how did they feel about him when they thought he was returning? Rumor has it he was offered an extension by Pegula, So i find the talk of nobody at OBD likening him hard to believe.

Cool . You are a thoughtful man and I also have an intense dislike for those who talk as you describe . When it comes to that person actually defending others in a moment of danger I am usually left getting hit alone while they run or cower . I don't believe Rex would back down from a fight although I think his brother would start one and let everyone else get hit . I hope you are wrong about Rex , if that's true it is a very dangerous her because his bravado can only last do long until he is asked to back it up in some way .. Kids love the bravado because many athletes are introverts despite their strength . I am hoping that he has garnered the redirect in the locker room because he runs his mouth in the media bit is a stand up guy when it counts . I am afraid to ask if you know an example where he was a punk .. Many trust find babies don't mature until late in life and both he and his brother were exposed to a real football intellects in the men who hired his father and maybe buddy himself buddy buddy was only a good d coordinator not a good head coach .

Marrone was petty and small which are bad qualities to lead men, I think only true heart wins championships over getting behind a genius who is socially inept . That social retardation is why I am glad we aren't being led by Schwartz because he has the vibe of an intelligent punk who will yell when held back by others but would stand like a deer in the headlights if he had to actually defend himself . I am happier about Rex over Schwartz snd marrone because neither of those two are leaders of me. Just pretty good coordinators . I wouldn't even let marrone coach an I line after it was confirmed he denegrated his underlings which creates a horrible pall over any workplace

Well .. I have to thank you for your response and please answer with examples if you have them .. I sense Rex will actually defend himself and others and seems to have better character than marrone or Schwartz but plays a role as a clown for the media because it works for him .. If you know otherwise please reveal because I want to like the hire. Btw I don't think terry is very bright and am amazed he amassed all that money but I am so grateful to anyone that saved two major components so essential to the identity of our hometown

I'm a bit confused. I know of no examples of Rex running from fisticuffs. But I'm not sure if that was your question.

I'm also not sure I understand the Schwartz or Marrone hate (other than being upset the way Doug left the team).

I have to ask (please don't be upset if I am mistaken here), is English not your first language? You have a very different style of writing. Maybe it's just me today.

Sad that "one of the Bills better coaches" was barely above 0.500 during his tenure here...but it's true,

Bills fandom ain't for sissies.

Hopefully we can get all the foot and swinger jokes out of the way early on

OK. I'm glad we have the Pegulas here to foot the bills for the Bills. I expect Rex is just the Rx we need to cure the rot at the foot of our organization and get our legs under us. The Bills O will be manicured to a fault and stay polished now, and our D will go toe to toe with anyone in the AFC East. We will get to the playoffs and put our best foot forward.

Did I miss any?

OK. I'm glad we have the Pegulas here to foot the bills for the Bills. I expect Rex is just the Rx we need to cure the rot at the foot of our organization and get our legs under us. The Bills O will be manicured to a fault and stay polished now, and our D will go toe to toe with anyone in the AFC East. We will get to the playoffs and put our best foot forward.

Did I miss any?

Something about toeing the company line.

Did I miss any?

Should be pedicured.

Do you think they celebrated with a bottle of Lafite Rothschild? Maybe they couldn't foot the bill for that, and settled on Barefoot Cabernet.

I think Rex is the type to not want to impose, but the Pegulas put their collective foot down and got the best. From what I hear, they don't spare any expense just to keep themselves from stepping on anyone's toes.

Is Buffalo sports really ready for this:

Yeah, oh my god. He turned sideways during an interview. Look out Buffalo... this guy is out of control! Hide your kids!

First of all, you have as much of a right to call me out at anyone. Number of posts don't matter. And you ask a good question (I HATE that!).

The fact is, there is no one HC candidate I was in love with, other than Cowher--and he isn't coming. I had mixed feeling about Shanny after his Washington debacle, but I would have accepted him willingly. A top OC (as it is really the offense that needs to be addressed at this time) would have satisfied me to some extent. A guy like Kubiak, an offensive coach who has had both success and failure, as a HC intrigued me.

Let's face it. Other than Cowher, no available person has #1 NFL HC experience and #2 Been successful at every stop (and most every year) under various conditions. Either you are gambling on a college HC, a NFL coordinator or a HC that failed somewhere at some time.

The reason I say "hold my nose" for Rex is he is a meathead, a mook, a blowhard---and I don't like those things in a person, let alone a HC. He craves the spotlight and competes with his players for praise and publicity. He makes everything about HIM. He's a braggart, even when he is getting his ass kicked. I hate guys like that. And I hate that the Bills head coach is now a guy like that. Add to that, I have the idea Rex thinks he is doing Buffalo and the Bills a favor by being their head coach. He got a five year deal, I assume at very big money, when he has yet to really prove he is HC material. Finally, and this is really petty of me, he comes from a family of overrated meatheads. His father, a great DC, was a crappy HC who thought he was the second coming. And his brother publicly back-stabbed his boss in Oakland. I hold my nose because I can't sand the Ryan stench.

Does that answer the question?

Wow. Guess you better find a new team. Sounds like your rampant hatred will no longer allow you to be a part of anything this man touches. For the rest of us, Go Bills!

My God! The Pegulas are in over their heads. Can't believe they couldn't have done better than this. Prove me wrong, Rex, please!

Good luck as O'Brien's consultant in Houston, Doug. He probably already knows when to punt, so learn something else.