NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest concern with the coaching hire was that I didnt want another Coordinator-turned-first-time-HC dill weed. We dont need another guy learning on the job, we need a true HC. And it seems like we got one.

The dream scenario would be for Ryan to take a true overseeing HC role, where he sets the tone for the team, helps with gameplans, and lets his coordinators run their schemes. Regardless of who we bring in for OC I think we can only go up. Id like to keep Schwartz this year, but if not Im not too worried. The D is crazy talented, and Schwartz is most likely gone next year anyways.

I like that we interviewed basically everyone that was out there, and then were still the first team to go and aggressively get our guy.

We'll see how it shakes out from here. Go Bills!!

Edited by DrDareustein

Nothing makes sense. Rex's teams "play hard" even though they get blown out. He "prepares" them by never having won a game post-bye.

Many posters who hated Rex are now changing their tune. I suppose we will have to get behind him as well.

I never hated Rex when he was at New York. In fact I liked the way he believed in his players and admired the defense he built.

But I didn't want him to come here because (1) he's a bit of a buffoon, and (2) he's had little success on offense.

But when you look at the other dozen coaches we interviewed, you could find reasons not to like them as well. Either their success was a long time ago, or their resumes were thin, or whatever. In each case, you can find reasons why they aren't head coaches right now already.

I don't know if Rex was the best choice but he certainly wasn't the worst choice. My dream scenario was Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the Bills but that was never going to happen and posters here would criticize even that ('Too long out of football.' 'Don't want the Cover 2.' 'The Chin is overrated.').

There was no candidate close to being a consensus perfect choice. Every candidate has their warts (or foot fetish as the case may be).

As you say, we can only get behind Rex now and hope for the best. Combining Rex with a good OC could do wonders for this team.

I never hated Rex when he was at New York. In fact I liked the way he believed in his players and admired the defense he built.

But I didn't want him to come here because (1) he's a bit of a buffoon, and (2) he's had little success on offense.

But when you look at the other dozen coaches we interviewed, you could find reasons not to like them as well. Either their success was a long time ago, or their resumes were thin, or whatever. In each case, you can find reasons why they aren't head coaches right now already.

I don't know if Rex was the best choice but he certainly wasn't the worst choice. My dream scenario was Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the Bills but that was never going to happen and posters here would criticize even that ('Too long out of football.' 'Don't want the Cover 2.' 'The Chin is overrated.').

There was no candidate close to being a consensus perfect choice. Every candidate has their warts (or foot fetish as the case may be).

As you say, we can only get behind Rex now and hope for the best. Combining Rex with a good OC could do wonders for this team.

Sure, every coach has warts. Why did we grab the one whose warts directly coincide with our team weaknesses? I would've rather hired an OC who sucked at hiring good DC's.

wow...a man with 20/20 hindsight wisdom......the point is, Lovie came in, brought in his QB, made him #1 immediately and proceeded to go out and sh#t the bed with his guy. With Doug Martin, and a very good set of Wide Recievers (that turned out to be great), the record does not reflect the talent on that team.

Totally agree...For the life of me I could not figure out why that organization did not simply stay the course with Glennon who showed plenty of promise in 2013...The kids played 19 games to this point with a 2-1 TD to INT ratio (29/15)...That's not bad for a young QB in this league...He needs to push up his completion percentage a bit...But at the very least Glennon has some nice tools to work with...You would think a good HC can recognize those things and try to bring them out further... B-)

Well, he's better than EJ Manuel.

No he's not...Compare their first 15 games...

Well, he's better than EJ Manuel.

In fairness, so is my aunt.

Hate the pick. Don't have any suggestions of my own, but Rex is a loudmouth whose embarrassing "guarantees" fell flat. I don't think he's wholly to blame for the state the Jets have been in in recent seasons, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement of his talents either.

Don't have any suggestions but you'll openly criticize this one? Bills Fan Logic.

Edited by stevestojan

My biggest concern with the coaching hire was that I didnt want another Coordinator-turned-first-time-HC dill weed. We dont need another guy learning on the job, we need a true HC. And it seems like we got one.

The dream scenario would be for Ryan to take a true overseeing HC role, where he sets the tone for the team, helps with gameplans, and lets his coordinators run their schemes. Regardless of who we bring in for OC I think we can only go up. Id like to keep Schwartz this year, but if not Im not too worried. The D is crazy talented, and Schwartz is most likely gone next year anyways.

I like that we interviewed basically everyone that was out there, and then were still the first team to go and aggressively get our guy.

We'll see how it shakes out from here. Go Bills!!

Agree with this. It is an exciting time to be a Bills fan.

OK, everyone who doesn't like this move. Would you seriously rather have Kyle Shanahan? Because that's who everyone thought would be coach yesterday. Seriously, that was the alternative.

+1. We land a coach who was the leading contender for the Falcons and who by all accounts had a great interview with the 49ers and people are seriously upset? Inconceivable.

Because he's a horrible person. Buy, okay, its not about the person, its about finding a quality HC. So, I'm willing to listen. What's inspiring about Rex's 50-52 record as a HC?

I'm going to go out on a limb and call BS on you having "friends". You must be talking about your parents. You're one of those professional haters

image.png?w=500&c=1

Totally agree...For the life of me I could not figure out why that organization did not simply stay the course with Glennon who showed plenty of promise in 2013...The kids played 19 games to this point with a 2-1 TD to INT ratio (29/15)...That's not bad for a young QB in this league...He needs to push up his completion percentage a bit...But at the very least Glennon has some nice tools to work with...You would think a good HC can recognize those things and try to bring them out further... B-)

No he's not...Compare their first 15 games...

Right. I forgot about the time that EJ led his team down the field in the last minute to a playoff win.

I like this hire. The Defense, whomever the DC is going to be, will be so much fun to watch.

Roman is a very good OC, and will allow (Insert QB Here) to have free reign. He also will have a great running game with a solid Offensive Line. I'm liking the pieces that appear to be falling into place.

Happy to replace Marrone with Rex and I am truly excited about having a guy like Rex here. It should make things a lot more fun. While I can only imagine how much fun our D will have with Rex, our D wasn't the issue--with either Pettine or Schwartz--we all know that. We had other issues and does Rex bring anything to the table to solve those issues. Rex brings a lot of good to the table but he has plenty of deficiencies. I hope some of you who have more time than me and more knowledge (I only profess to be a fan not an expert) can put together an objective list of all of the issues with Rex over the past few years--e.g., hands off with offensive side of the ball, inability to develop a young QB--Sanchez or Geno, his horrible time and game management, etc... He was lucky to have Idzik as a fall guy but please don't forget that Rex is no longer coaching because of Rex too not merely due to Idzik. Hope a smarter, more astute fan with knowledge of the Tri-State scene will articulate in a much more erudite and cogent manner than I, the arguments against Rex and why those should concern us (please do not rely of speculation about how Whaley is going to somehow pull a franchisee QB out of a hat). Happy but concerned in NJ....

Edited by biggerdaddynj