PSL prices for Falcons new stadium approved

nucci

PSL's will happen in some form in Buf, no doubt. I think the Vikings new stadium has more reasonable prices, probably more in line with Buffalo's pricing structure.I have 8-10 years to save up. A higher-end wedding for my daughter or 40 yard line seats forever? Hmmm.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

That is the biggest rip off out there ! Soon it will be as outrageous as going to a BB game ! How can you charge twice for the same seat ?

PSL then you have to charge again for the ticket on that seat ? Who ever does that has more money than brains ! thats like buying a car & paying for it twice makes no sense what so ever !!

Not to mention the Falcons don't or didn't need a new stadium the Georgia dome wasn't but about 10 or 12 years old talk about ridiculous !!

Must be nice to be able to afford that mess.

I'm 61. PSL's are not budgeted into my slowly approaching retirement.

The minute we have PSL's in Buffalo is the day that I walk away......

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

these are only 11% of their seats. My current seats are probably in the bottom 11%

Buffalo cant sustain PSLs and high ticket prices. At least for "common" seats. Im sure its well known in the sports business community nationally and locally.

Their best bet is to strike hot like the Sabres. A few good seasons. Prime a season ticket holder cap with a waiting list. Keep the perceived demand and inch up the ticket prices.

Edited by May Day 10

I agree PSLs are ridiculous. I hate the concept. But it's not exactly new. Hell, big time college programs have been doing it for years. You need to make a gift in the thousands of dollars to the scholarship fund just to have the right to buy tickets.

And as someone else pointed out, it's only 11% of the seats.

We may get them in Buffalo, but there's no way they're as pricey.

The minute we have PSL's in Buffalo is the day that I walk away......

RWS' club seats already have a license fee embedded into the annual "member" cost. The license fee is not shown on the physical tickets, however.

As I understand it, the license portion of the cost is unshared revenue so the Bills get 100% of that.

I'll say it again... my favorite team plays in a league I totally detest. This project is receiving hundreds of millions in govt subsidies, apparently as high as $550M (http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/03/18/4735/falcons-stadium-cost-to-taxpayers-counting-hidden-subsidies-554-million/). The league has gone from an everyman sport to a wealthy persons sport that pimps the middle and lower classes to support the wealthy. It's amazing. I love how the team website coolly blows it off as expected ways of doing business, as something par for the course. http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/funding/ In particular is the statement that the team will take on risk and liability, like that's somehow doing taxpayers a favor rather than the expectation for a private, for-profit entity. They also try to use the "hey the hotel tax is paid for by visitors." True enough in many cases but that's still a tax on the public AND more troubling, could be used, I don't know, for education, transportation, infrastructure, or other actual need of Atlanta residents rather than make billionaire more wealthy while excluding a huge portion of the local population from every attending a game.

I am a die hard Bills fan and season ticket holder but I will never pay a PSL, I'll stay home for free and watch it on TV when possible. Part of me hopes, and this isn't hyperbole or for effect, that the NFL dies off. The concussion thing is a major problem and could be costly, the continually make the product actually worse to attend and watch not better, the league is filled with miscreants and unlikable characters that are celebrated and the owners and players are greedy ingrates. It's hard to deal with a sport when the business of it is constantly shoved in your face and we're supposed to just accept it all even when it comes out of our pockets. The continual drive for profit and wealthy eventually runs dry, it always does. Every single major company has hit hard times and the NFL will in the future, and I hope the English Premier League's popularity grows and grows and grows and soccer takes its place... might happen as more kids play soccer and parents keep their kids out of football.

So PG can go drill another well to build his stadium because if he asks for public money, I'm out.

Pay $45,000 for the right to pay the team another $3850 each season for tickets. Wow!!! Wish I had that kind of cash.

Wonder if it will end up like the Jets/Giants PSL’s that a few years later were worth about half of what people paid for them.

That is the biggest rip off out there ! Soon it will be as outrageous as going to a BB game ! How can you charge twice for the same seat ?

PSL then you have to charge again for the ticket on that seat ? Who ever does that has more money than brains ! thats like buying a car & paying for it twice makes no sense what so ever !!

Not to mention the Falcons don't or didn't need a new stadium the Georgia dome wasn't but about 10 or 12 years old talk about ridiculous !!

I agree with everything you said except that the dome was built in the early 90's so it's 20-22 years old. That still doesn't mean they need another already or the Braves which is even more ridiculous

The PSLs referenced in the article are primarily aimed at corporations and the extremely wealthy of Atlanta. Notice all the sections mentioned are special Club sections. Most regular folk wont be sitting there.

I still hate PSLs, but its not like they are charging $10k for seats in the endzone.

The PSLs referenced in the article are primarily aimed at corporations and the extremely wealthy of Atlanta. Notice all the sections mentioned are special Club sections. Most regular folk wont be sitting there.

I still hate PSLs, but its not like they are charging $10k for seats in the endzone.

From the article.......maybe not 10K but you'll pay a few thousand.

Seat licenses also will be required for all other seats sold as season tickets, but those prices won’t be determined until later in the year. They are expected to be set at various price points below $10,000.

From the article.......maybe not 10K but you'll pay a few thousand.

Seat licenses also will be required for all other seats sold as season tickets, but those prices won’t be determined until later in the year. They are expected to be set at various price points below $10,000.

Yeah, saw that. It will probably be in the same range that the Club Seats at the Ralph cost. $3k-5k. Still a ridiculous concept, but its not new.

PSLs in Buffalo will work themselves out. If they set the prices too high and they don't sell, they'll have to make adjustments. But why NOT charge at least some kind of PSL if they can? Even if it's $500/ticket you're talking about over $30 million. That's some cheddar.

My thoughts are that the new stadium will come with some sort of PSLs. It may not because the Pegula's operate a little differently than most owners but I would think that there will be some. They will be attached to the best seating locations in the stadium. This will be the biggest change from the Ralph. It is tough to just keep raising those lower level sideline prices without people that have sat there forever feeling as if they are being forced out. A new stadium provides the perfect cover to get that pricing in line with the rest of the league (at least somewhat).

Seat selection will still be done by tenure but when those people go to look and see that the seat that they were paying $100 a game for is now $220 per game and each seat requires a $10K PSL (just as an example) they will look elsewhere. The seats now that are the most expensive have decent amenities but do not have the prime real estate. The Bills will be able to marry those two concepts in the new building and will have no problem filling them. It will also create a trickle down effect and a scarcity problem (which is good from the team standpoint).

My thoughts are that the new stadium will come with some sort of PSLs. It may not because the Pegula's operate a little differently than most owners but I would think that there will be some. They will be attached to the best seating locations in the stadium. This will be the biggest change from the Ralph. It is tough to just keep raising those lower level sideline prices without people that have sat there forever feeling as if they are being forced out. A new stadium provides the perfect cover to get that pricing in line with the rest of the league (at least somewhat).

Seat selection will still be done by tenure but when those people go to look and see that the seat that they were paying $100 a game for is now $220 per game and each seat requires a $10K PSL (just as an example) they will look elsewhere. The seats now that are the most expensive have decent amenities but do not have the prime real estate. The Bills will be able to marry those two concepts in the new building and will have no problem filling them. It will also create a trickle down effect and a scarcity problem (which is good from the team standpoint).

Kirby, tell me what you think about the logic of having club amenities (to varying degrees) at all levels of stadium seating? While you do need to maintain exclusive, high end amenities for the prime seating PSL crowd, if you have standing room club sections with bar service and TVs, etc, even in the cheap seats generates more revenue than traditional concessions. Am I off base here?

RWS' club seats already have a license fee embedded into the annual "member" cost. The license fee is not shown on the physical tickets, however.

As I understand it, the license portion of the cost is unshared revenue so the Bills get 100% of that.

Right,and I have no problem with that.

I sit in the third row of the upper deck between the 30-35 yard lines, and I'd hate to give up those seats.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

Right,and I have no problem with that.

I sit in the third row of the upper deck between the 30-35 yard lines, and I'd hate to give up those seats.

I'm bracing myself for the PSL shoe to drop, but hopefully, it won't happen until a new stadium is built.

The smart way to do it, when they do come, is to spread it over time, say ten years. So a $1,000 PSL becomes just a $10 surcharge per ticket.

Kirby, tell me what you think about the logic of having club amenities (to varying degrees) at all levels of stadium seating? While you do need to maintain exclusive, high end amenities for the prime seating PSL crowd, if you have standing room club sections with bar service and TVs, etc, even in the cheap seats generates more revenue than traditional concessions. Am I off base here?

I think that it is a good idea and something that you are seeing as a growing trend. There are different sort of skybox type of things going on now. We took the old pressbox at our arena (at the way, way, way top) and created it as a private party area. We would sell it at $50 a ticket and it would include food (which probably cost us $20 a head). We basically were making $30 a ticket on a seat that alone we couldn't sell for $15.

Another thing that is possible is selling memberships to these clubs. Maybe your membership is included with your PSL purchase or you can buy a membership for $500 a year per ticket (or whatever the case may be). You can do this with all inclusive areas as well. It doesn't take away the exclusivity but it allows more revenue growth by selling them as a stand alone. In addition it is a benefit that helps you to sell the PSL in the first place. It helps people justify their buying decision. There are a lot of direct and residual benefits of having those club type of areas.

I had a customer at work once. Lady was in her 80s. Her and her husband were 49ers fans and season ticket holder literally since day 1. They wanted to charge them $20,000 plus the seats.

That is kind of what I was getting at earlier. You cannot ever do that without the new stadium (this is the EXACT reason that a retrofit was never a realistic option despite what was said publicly). You offer them the opportunity to pay $20K and if they decline hopefully you can keep them at a similar spend to where they are and find the person that will spend that $20K.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

All of a sudden the Ralph looks pretty good

The Ralph has ALWAYS looked good in my eyes. Perhaps the community minded Jacobs family ( notice how their interest in a downtown stadium story died fast) will pick up the PSL tab! The Pegulas don't need a new stadium to raise seat prices. Just WIN

Wow, when they built the stadium in Downtown Charlotte I think the PSLs for the most expensive seats were around $3500. And the uproar then was intense! Man, how prices have skyrocketed!

And the economy of WNY is skyrocketing too, yea right. Buffalo 4th poorest city in the US and Rochester....

And the economy of WNY is skyrocketing too, yea right. Buffalo 4th poorest city in the US and Rochester....

The thing with the PSLs is that they don't need 80,000 people to shell out the $10K or whatever (again just as an example) for the licensee fees. They probably want to sell like 10-20K at the highest price. Just by using those numbers as an example that is $100-$200M alone. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The thing with the PSLs is that they don't need 80,000 people to shell out the $10K or whatever (again just as an example) for the licensee fees. They probably want to sell like 10-20K at the highest price. Just by using those numbers as an example that is $100-$200M alone.

I don't know where the 10,000 psler's will come from, the Bills don't sell out the clubs now!

I don't know where the 10,000 psler's will come from, the Bills don't sell out the clubs now!

That is the point from earlier. They probably have sold roughly 10,000 club seats and the location is not good. They will have ZERO problem getting that kind of money for a club type atmosphere on the lower level sidelines between the 20's. That is the reason that the retrofit was never an option. They needed to start over with the best inventory in the building. They need to raise the amenities there and they can charge a premium when your best locations come with the most perks. It doesn't work at its best if you have one or the other.

That is the point from earlier. They probably have sold roughly 10,000 club seats and the location is not good. They will have ZERO problem getting that kind of money for a club type atmosphere on the lower level sidelines between the 20's. That is the reason that the retrofit was never an option. They needed to start over with the best inventory in the building. They need to raise the amenities there and they can charge a premium when your best locations come with the most perks. It doesn't work at its best if you have one or the other.

currently there are multiple semi-premiums that compete with each other as best options, and you would be talking about creating a super-premium and then tiers below. makes total sense, but thought id attempt wording it a different way for others.

Edited by NoSaint

currently there are multiple semi-premiums that compete with each other as best options, and you would be talking about creating a super-premium and then tiers below. makes total sense, but thought id attempt wording it a different way for others.

Ha ha, thanks for interpreting for me. I know what I'm getting at but don't really know how to get it out.