Too many cooks in the Kitchen ?

Listening to Eric Wood on GR, he said that Marrone, Morris, the TE coach and somebody else were constantly on the Oline to get better. Could it be that the players were confused as to what to do because one guy says do this and another that, leading to paralysis by analysis? Also he indicated that the coaches were bashing them just as much as the fans and media, could they have ruined their self confidence and this led to their regression?

Listening to Eric Wood on GR, he said that Marrone, Morris, the TE coach and somebody else were constantly on the Oline to get better. Could it be that the players were confused as to what to do because one guy says do this and another that, leading to paralysis by analysis? Also he indicated that the coaches were bashing them just as much as the fans and media, could they have ruined their self confidence and this led to their regression?

All of that may be true, but the fact that there isn't much talent on the O line to begin with is much more relevant.

All of that may be true, but the fact that there isn't much talent on the O line to begin with is much more relevant.

3/5 of the line was part of what was considered a high level offensive line 3 years ago. They were bad this year but I feel like the scheme didn't help them much either

those guys were good under Chan.

The same OL last year finished top 3 in rushing. They are not all that horrible.

last year.

This coaching staff looks worse and worse by the day

indeed

The success of our positional units varied inversely with St. Doug's level of involvement.

indeed part 2

This is the case with the front office too.

yep, time to clean house, sick of all the usual suspects screwing things up.

Shouldn't that befall Whaley?

Where I'm at a loss is with how many posters seem to support Whaley, but we have no QB, largely due to him if not exclusively due to him, no RBs, nothing special at TE, questionable WRs at least to top levels, and opinions overall seem to be demonstrative that the talent on the OL is not good either.

In short, he's got the offense in shambles and yet still has his job.

yep, time to clean house, sick of all the usual suspects screwing things up.

Yeah, but that's clearly not going to happen. The time to have done that was last week. Pegula's missed the boat on this one.

I hear lots of fans complaining about the Sabres, and I have no idea how there's any contrary argument there, but it seems as if he's pulling the same nonsense he played there.

Where I'm at a loss is with how many posters seem to support Whaley, but we have no QB, largely due to him if not exclusively due to him, no RBs, nothing special at TE, questionable WRs at least to top levels, and opinions overall seem to be demonstrative that the talent on the OL is not good either.

Yeah, but that's clearly not going to happen. The time to have done that was last week. Pegula's missed the boat on this one.

I hear lots of fans complaining about the Sabres, and I have no idea how there's any contrary argument there, but it seems as if he's pulling the same nonsense he played there.

maybe in a couple years he will after we go through some retread and he realizes it's time to start over :doh: :doh:

I like Eric Wood but coaches are there to motivate you one way or another....sitting around singing kumbiya isnt gonna stop Wilfolk from knocking back into you quarterback. The assistant coaches have a job to do

how many assistants do they need?

The same OL last year finished top 3 in rushing. They are not all that horrible.

They were 2nd in yards and tied with two other teams in 14 in yards per attempt. The ran the ball more than any other team in the league by a good margain. Let not skew the facts.

True esp at guard the talent is non-existent and at RT you had a rookie which resulted in growing pains at that position. As a unit they need both a talent and coaching upgrade along the o-line.

I am fascinated by the logic that because the O-line was good under Chan, a few years ago, that of course these same players couldn't have possibly regressed or, I dunno, sucked to begin with. They were never good, the front 5 has been shuffled a few times, guys have been banged up, they have gotten older, and the very idea that Irbik and Pears belong on this team is garbage. Moving tackles inside appears to be a garbage philosophy too. Marrone is a cookie cutter coach plain and simple, but if not for the bad press and the collective angst towards him, some people might have a different opinion on the quality of said O-linemen. Whaley looks brilliant at picking some defensive guys, but that is equally tempered by his awful assessment of offensive personnel.

True esp at guard the talent is non-existent and at RT you had a rookie which resulted in growing pains at that position. As a unit they need both a talent and coaching upgrade along the o-line.

We really have little idea what guard holds after seeing it mangled with a choice like pears over urbik, hearing how negative the coaches were, poor play calling etc.... A good coach might get them to middle of the pack without a massive makeover

They kind of sucked at run blocking.

I think getting your arse handed to you by Williams, Williams, Hughes, Dareus, Charles, and Wynn every practice probably hurts your confidence more than any of the coaches mean words.

it was NOT QUITE the same O line as last year...Glenn and Wood returned at LT and C,respectively,but there was a revolving door at LG,RG and RT. 4 new guys (Williams and the 3 rookies),. Marrone should have left Pears and Urbik on the right side and concentrated on fixing LG No continuity to speak of.

Edited by Pablocruise

They really weren't all that bad under Chan. His staff did a much better job of getting the most out of basically the same group of guys (except Henderson).

They were 2nd in yards and tied with two other teams in 14 in yards per attempt. The ran the ball more than any other team in the league by a good margain. Let not skew the facts.

The year before that, they were 4th in yards per attempt and 6th in yards with the same players (4/5). Two years with Marone, they were one of the worst in the league. Coaching more than talent has something to do with it.

The year before that, they were 4th in yards per attempt and 6th in yards with the same players (4/5). Two years with Marone, they were one of the worst in the league. Coaching more than talent has something to do with it.

There are coaches who are used to having crappy talent and figuring out ways to scheme around it and make it passable. Chan was like that. Add in fitz's quick release, and pretty much the same oline (or worse, with Bell at LT) was considered a strength of the team.

The 2014 offense averaged about 25 yards less a game then the 2012 offense. Had Orton played all 16 and Spiller and Fred all 16 I bet that gap closes significantly.

The 2012 team had a healthy oline of Glenn--Levitre--Wood--Urbik--Pears. Very good.

And a QB in the system for 3 seasons.

Another thing to factor---teams were more than happy to let Spiller go nuts bc we couldn't throw worth crap and teams scored on a historically bad defense at will.

This offense needed to replace Levitre. Groom a 5th round and 7th round pick to START on the oline. Urbik played ok when he was in. Ok ain't good enough..

And it wasn't too long ago we were all convinced Spiller was no good---All 22 Jeremy showing us holes he missed. We all saw it. We all saw him pathetically attempt to pass block.

I'm sick of these comparisons to the Chan O. It had 5 good games. The rest was CRAP. What the hell was everyone watching? Oh yea...the occasional 60 yard run by Spiller when we were down 24 to puff up the stats.

I think 15 years of watching Brady and Belichick deficate all over us has Bills nation in a ridiculous place.

Edited by Big Blitz

They kind of sucked at run blocking.

I think getting your arse handed to you by Williams, Williams, Hughes, Dareus, Charles, and Wynn every practice probably hurts your confidence more than any of the coaches mean words.

going against better players in practice will make you better.

Woods did defend Hacket said he was told what to do. The radio interview with Woods today was interesting, if you did not hear it you should http://media.wgr550.com/a/100652143/1-6-eric-wood.htm

I am excited for next season!!

Looks like old sour puss did us a favor

going against better players in practice will make you better.

Looks like old sour puss did us a favor

Aren't you the OP?

You're saying that the coaches being harsh on the O-Line made the O-Line worse . . .

Come on man, if you're not mentally tough enough to take Marrone chewing you out, What are you going to do when Vince Wilfork wants to eat you for Lunch.

Aren't you the OP? Obviously

You're saying that the coaches being harsh on the O-Line made the O-Line worse . . .

Come on man, if you're not mentally tough enough to take Marrone chewing you out, What are you going to do when Vince Wilfork wants to eat you for Lunch.

it's not about being able to take it, it's about undermining their ability to play, which makes them think they are not good enough and thus start performing to their constantly suggested inferiority.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

it's not about being able to take it, it's about undermining their ability to play, which makes them think they are not good enough and thus start performing to their constantly suggested inferiority.

Possibly and also possible that if they are constantly loudly negative, how well are they actually teaching technique and such....

You basically called the O-line p*****s by making this assertion. How can you not hold the players responsible for their performance? If playing like garbage is their response to being told that they are playing like garbage, then they are garbage. These guys were never good and I have never seen them do anything over the past 4 years to make me believe that they were ever capable of run blocking with power. If they couldn't run the draw out of the shotgun they got stuffed. Fred was also a much better player in Chan's tenure. They get zero push consistently. Chan was vilified for going 5 wide on 3rd and short for reasons that fans still deny to this day. They are weak at the point of attack.

So in your opinion getting your ass handed to you everyday in practice by the best defensive land in football makes you better but Marrone saying you're garbage constantly makes you worse.

I think that tells us more about you than what the OLine actually went through.

I love it when an athlete speaks his mind and gives a fairly candid interview and the reaction by some is "just shut up and play." Priceless.

It is a fans prerogative to do so. I don't get caught up in the drama of millionaire excuse making, nor have I ever paid much attention to interviews from the players, coaches, and front office types. Every team is what their record says they are. Every game is one highly specific situation after another that can't be looked at accurately without context of everything else on the field that precedes it in chronological order. For me that is the beauty of football. Broad statistical averages say absolutely nothing about match ups and situational football. The only outcomes that matter to me are winning or losing. Nothing these guys say will change their past performance. I don't need their eye witness testimony when there is a video of the events. Ray Rice would agree. Using interviews to gain context of what is not understood by watching the game itself is a waste of time. I am happy that Marrone is gone. I am also happy that they were 9-7. Obviously, it's JMO. The guy wasn't wrong about everything, just as it is true that Whaley hasn't been right about everything on the offensive side of the ball.

Our WRs are young but we have top level talent in Watkins/Woods/Hogan. Chandler has too many drops for my liking so I with you there. If we had an answer at QB then I think the O-Line play starts to improve. Fitz clearly was not the answer but we were better off with him behind center than Orton. My fear is that we are really going to need some quality OC and O Line coaching for EJ to develop, the game is too fast and he plays too timid.