Coaches you don't want

major

Frank Reich.

Todd Bowles (even though I think he could be a good coach)

Rex Ryan (only because we need to keep Schwartz and 4-3 and concentrate on offense)

Mike Shanahan

If Tony Dungy wanted to be the coach, and had a great guy to run the offense, and became a Marv type manager HC and let Schwartz run the defense, he wouldn't be a bad guy. If he wanted to install his system and run the defense, he would be a guy I say no to.

As one of the above posters mentioned above: assistant coaches who have ridden the coattails of future hall of fame QBs.

I also am wary the new flavor of the month in college football.

As an aside, I also am tired of reading posts from posters (who have never had any position in the NFL in their lives) who post: "the game has passed him by."

Frank Reich. That's just crazy talk.

I agree, Good God Almightly. Do we really want to go down this road again? Did anyone watch the Chargers offense this season? It was like watching the Bills offense except they have a franchise quarterback. Stop it, stop it, stop it. We need to finally get a proven winner for a head coach.

If we hire Polian, and he wants to hire as coach someone whose best record in the NFL was 9-7, and whose most recent record was 3-6 in a shortened season, and whose claim to fame was winning Grey Cups, what would we say?

Too bad the Stadium Wall wasn't around when Marv was hired.

Frank Reich.

Todd Bowles (even though I think he could be a good coach)

Rex Ryan (only because we need to keep Schwartz and 4-3 and concentrate on offense)

Mike Shanahan

If Tony Dungy wanted to be the coach, and had a great guy to run the offense, and became a Marv type manager HC and let Schwartz run the defense, he wouldn't be a bad guy. If he wanted to install his system and run the defense, he would be a guy I say no to.

I think Dungy is the most over rated head coach ever.

I hope the Bills interview all the best candidates, Cowher, Bowles, Reich, Ryan, Bevell, Gase and pick the guy who they think is the best one and the one who has the best plan to get our offense on track (with regards to defensive coaches, who they would pick as an OC). I don't care if Bowles is a defense guy, all they need is a guy who the players will run through a wall for and if he has a great offensive coordinator in mind that will come here, then that is awesome. Bowles seems like that coordinator HC candidate who will have his first HC job for a very long time.

Reich... offense was choked down the stretch in a playoff race and not ready

Kubiak... losing record as a head coach

Gase... no name prior to Manning, suddenly a superstar?

and any other OC who watches his franchise QB actually coach and run the offense.

Won't matter.... Marrone, Cowher, Lombardi, Belicheck..... won't be sustained winners without a QB. 3 and done for the next guy without a QB. Bank on it. Keep chasing coaches until your blue in the face, they need a QB.

Cowher. I've never been that big of a fan of his. Yes he won a Super Bowl, but he also believed that Kordell Stewart could be a successful QB in the NFL. No thanks.

Kubiak. Another great OC that is not good enough as a coach.

Ryan. Not interested, and I don't think we should consider him as a DC either, because we would have to change our defensive philosophy again.

Marvin Lewis. I know, I know. He's still coaching. But if the Bengals lose to the Colts, he will have a career playoff record of 0-6. Also his overall regular season record is not that great. It's amazing that he is still coaching there. If he does get fired, just say no.

Marvin Lewis. I know, I know. He's still coaching. But if the Bengals lose to the Colts, he will have a career playoff record of 0-6. Also his overall regular season record is not that great. It's amazing that he is still coaching there. If he does get fired, just say no.

His longevity with the Bungles has been mind-boggling

Reich... offense was choked down the stretch in a playoff race and not ready

Kubiak... losing record as a head coach

Gase... no name prior to Manning, suddenly a superstar?

and any other OC who watches his franchise QB actually coach and run the offense.

Won't matter.... Marrone, Cowher, Lombardi, Belicheck..... won't be sustained winners without a QB. 3 and done for the next guy without a QB. Bank on it. Keep chasing coaches until your blue in the face, they need a QB.

The old chicken and the egg applies. Coach or Franchise QB first? I'm starting to wonder who will want to sign here if they make the wrong call for HC.

I don't think Frank Reich is ready...

Rex makes no sense to me...He's a 3-4 guy and we have a top 5 Defense that runs the 4-3...But...I do like the fact that he's had success vs Belichick...

I'm not thrilled with the older retread guys even if they do have Super Bowl rings...I think you have to be in it every year to keep your edge... B-)

Cowher

Gruden

Dungy

Ryan

Marrone

Two of the guys you don't want are my two favorite choices: Dungy and Cowher. I hope Pegs offers them $12 million per year to come out of retirement.

Cowher rumored to be visiting Buffalo:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174779-coaches-you-dont-want/page__st__20#entry3400595

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm surprised to see the lack of love for Dungy and Cowher.

Cowher took his team to the playoffs 10 of 15 years despite QBs and other personnel coming and going. He accumulated a 140-90-1 regular season record and a 12-9 postseason record. Compare his 15 years of success to our last 15 years with no playoff appearances at all.

Dungy turned two teams into winners. He made it to the playoffs 12 of 14 years - in different cities with different personnel. He went 139-69 in his 14 years. I'd be crying with joy if the Bills had that record over our last 14 years. Both Cowher and Dungy have won Super Bowls. No Bills coach has ever done that.

How can Dungy or Cowher not be an upgrade over Marrone who went 25-25 with the Orange and 15-17 with us? In fact, how can they not be better choices than mediocre retreads like Rex or unproven coordinators with no HC experience?

You can't argue with winning and both Cowher and Dungy have proven they know how to win in the NFL.

Cowher took his team to the playoffs 10 of 15 years despite QBs and other personnel coming and going. He accumulated a 140-90-1 regular season record and a 12-9 postseason record. Compare his 15 years of success to our last 15 years with no playoff appearances at all.

Dungy turned two teams into winners. He made it to the playoffs 12 of 14 years - in different cities with different personnel. He went 139-69 in his 14 years. I'd be crying with joy if the Bills had that record over our last 14 years. Both Cowher and Dungy have won Super Bowls. No Bills coach has ever done that.

How can Dungy or Cowher not be an upgrade over Marrone who went 25-25 with the Orange and 15-17 with us? In fact, how can they not be better choices than mediocre retreads like Rex or unproven coordinators with no HC experience?

You can't argue with winning and both Cowher and Dungy have proven they know how to win in the NFL.

Problem is, they proved it 10 years ago.

Take a look at Cowher's win loss ratio and playoff appearances with and without LeBeau. I say no thanks .

Frank Reich, too green right now

Gase, is his first name Peyton?

Josh McDaniel, ****ty little brat

Hasslet, hate the guy

Jon Gruden, can't develop young QBs

Rex Ryan, can't pick offensive assistants

on the fence

Jim Schwartz, doofus as HC in Detroit, but maybe he learned to fix his flaws.

Cowher & Dungy, will they be able to get back at the grind that means being HC in the NFL?

Problem is, they proved it 10 years ago.

True enough but schemes haven't changed that much in a decade. Anyway, being a HC is about far more than scheme. It's about leadership, building a coaching staff, working effectively with the FO, time management, focusing on what's truly important, building teamwork & accountability, etc. These guys know how to do those things.

And I've got to wonder how a big name hire would affect our FA signings. I doubt if Adam Gase would attract a lot of players. But many FAs would suddenly be interested in Buffalo if Dungy was the HC.

The coach I don't want is Rex Ryan. I actually think he did a credible job in New York/New Jersey but was cursed with a GM (Idzik) who didn't do him a lot of favors. Still, Rex is a bombastic buffoon, if a somewhat talented one. Plus Rex would want to change our defense and I'd rather leave Schwartz alone after seeing what he did this year.

Take a look at Cowher's win loss ratio and playoff appearances with and without LeBeau. I say no thanks .

How successful would Parcells have been without Belicheck? Good coaches build good staffs. Cowher did that. I'm not going to fault him for finding success with Dick LeBeau.

True enough but schemes haven't changed that much in a decade. Anyway, being a HC is about far more than scheme. It's about leadership, building a coaching staff, working effectively with the FO, time management, focusing on what's truly important, building teamwork & accountability, etc. These guys know how to do those things.

I think the Steelers do it the other way. They already have everything in place, and just move guys up through the organization, instead of having a coach come in and build it up. Cowher didn't "build" the Steelers, he took over the reins.

Mike Tomlin is doing pretty much the same thing with the Steelers. I think the Steelers organization is so solid, with well defined roles for everyone in the organization, that any decent coach on their staff can step right in.

I think Bill Cowher is way overrated, and a media celebrity. In every city that needs a coach, casual female fans trying to discuss football with hardcore fans will all say "I want Bill Cowher as our new coach". I don't think he has an interest in jumping back into coaching for any team that isn't already elite.

He has nothing to gain, and a legend to lose.

Edited by HoF Watkins