Marrone was upset at the Buffalo Media

Marrone may have thin skin with the media, but that ain't why he quit this gig.

It appears his contract was structured such that he had 4 million reasons to throw his hat at the chance for a "double dip"

Yup, he pockets $4M instead of proving that he believes in himself and his players and will stick around when the going gets tough.

St. Doug's reputation takes a major hit. Some idiot owner like Woody Johnson will hire him and will watch him put his team through a tailspin, all the while blaming and alienating those around him and acting like he has a severe skin allergy in response to criticism.

Marrone's career is going to be over in 2 years at most. Screw him.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, I don't believe the media had any role in his departure. I believe he wanted security, in the form of contract extensions for himself and his staff - and, ultimately, more power and control. I think it was denied and he left. The manner of his departure says a few things to me:

1) I do think it was a smart move on his part. He is marketable right now. If he stayed and the team showed little to no improvement next year, then he probably would be fired and his chances of another HC job would be slim. RIght now, he may be able to parlay taking a perennial 6-10 team with a losing culture to a 9-7 record and playoff contention into the security, power, and control he craves.

2) While it was a good move for him, it calls into question the sincerity of all his preaching about accountability, his commitment to the team, and his commitment to the fans. He had a team that finished 9-7 with another year on his contract, and two years of rhetoric about his dedication and commitment about where he wanted them to be. Then he walked out without finishing the job.

3) Given the nature of the responses from some of the players, it is clear he never informed them of his decision. He just left. They bought into his philosophies, played their hearts out for him, ad he didn't have the decency to at least let them know.

I know it is a business and there would be no loyalty from management if they felt he should be fired. However, that is the business that Marrone chose to be in. He preached commitment, accountability, and respect - and in the end, he showed none of those things.

I wish him well but I am glad he is gone.

Edited by billsfan1959

Was funny, last night, on their Bills "special", Paul Hamilton (I know, I know) sounded like he had started celebrating New Years Eve early...he said, and I quote that Marrone was "dumb, thin skinned, and full of himself". I do think the Buffalo media (or moreover GR55) is fairly negative most of the time...but it says little about Marrone if he couldn't handle what those bozos have to say.

IMHO, I don't believe the media had any role in his departure. I believe he wanted security, in the form of contract extensions for himself and his staff - and, ultimately, more power and control. I think it was denied and he left. The manner of his departure says a few things to me:

1) I do think it was a smart move on his part. He is marketable right now. If he stayed and the team showed little to no improvement next year, then he probably would be fired and his chances of another HC job would be slim. RIght now, he may be able to parlay taking a perennial 6-10 team with a losing culture to a 9-7 record and playoff contention into the security, power, and control he craves.

2) While it was a good move for him, it calls into question the sincerity of all his preaching about accountability, his commitment to the team, and his commitment to the fans. He had a team that finished 9-7 with another year on his contract, and two years of rhetoric about his dedication and commitment about where he wanted them to be. Then he walked out without finishing the job.

3) Given the nature of the responses from some of the players, it is clear he never informed them of his decision. He just left. They bought into his philosophies, played their hearts out for him, ad he didn't have the decency to at least let them know.

I know it is a business and there would be no loyalty from management if they felt he should be fired. However, that is the business that Marrone chose to be in. He preached commitment, accountability, and respect - and in the end, he showed none of those things.

See Syracuse University. He said the same things there including into the face of a 16 or 17 year old kid. This was discussed a bit when he took the Buffalo gig, but, because it was a move to the NFL it was mostly overlooked. He has a bit of mercenary in him I guess & he preaches one thing but practices another.

I'm not glad that he's gone, but, now that he's gone I'm glad. A secret corner of my mind is hoping that he gets the nyj gig so we can watch him deal with that media on a daily basis. Another corner of my mind doesn't want to face him twice a year because of the potential embarrassment to the Bills organization.

To Littman or whoever approved the contract...ARE YOU !@#$ING CRAZY? YOU GIVE A COACH AN OUT CLAUSE THAT GUARANTEES HIS FULL PAY FOR NEXT SEASON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

@Schopptalk: Teams say they get radio but people I know with teams never seem to. They don't fully comprehend what our job is: keeping an audience.

@MatthewWGR: @Schopptalk @ByTimGraham Judging by Doug's 4th down question eyeroll at @JoeBuscaglia no matter what we talk about there will be complaints

@Schopptalk: Bills were incensed when WGR talked Marrone's future after the GB game, @ByTimGraham writes. Bills would rather we talk blitz packages 24/7.

It's perceived as bitterness only because they haven't won. It's no different than any passionate sports city, though.

In fact, I'd say living here most fans, including lots of season ticket holders have just grown increasingly casual about the on field product and just take a wait and see approach. Nowhere near as opinonated as the 80's and 90's but then this organization has never been bad like this for anywhere near this long.

You missed a good part of the 70s and 80s I take it.

ARE YOU !@#$ING CRAZY? YOU GIVE A COACH AN OUT CLAUSE THAT GUARANTEES HIS FULL PAY FOR NEXT SEASON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This should be a thead.

While I don't think that his problem with the media is what made him quit, I do think that his thin skin led to some of his coaching struggles. He received a lot of criticism about fourth down...and then went for it on a fourth and four early in the game...and when it didn't work out, he refused to go for it late in the game. A number of times, it seemed like Marrone would do something based on criticism he was receiving...but didn't really believe in it and would revert back. He never seemed to have a strong and clear philosophy, which I think is part of his/Hackett's problem. Though, on the other hand, other times he seemed unwilling to "cave" to popular consensus (as with refusing to put Urbik for such a long time). And then there was the weird press conference personality change into a monosyllabic Bill Belichick clone. He just seemed too worried about what the media/fans had to say about him.

@Schopptalk: Bills were incensed when WGR talked Marrone's future after the GB game, @ByTimGraham writes. Bills would rather we talk blitz packages 24/7.

As a disclaimer, I think Russ has done an outstanding job, and i want him to stay. But that interview with Howard when he was getting testy cause Howard was asking tough questions i thought was bad form bt Russ. Would love to know how Russ will answer questions about Marone now.

BTW, listen to this interview on the 49ers flagship station...can you see Russ sitting through this?

Link is to interview is about halfway down.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27229279/49ers-jed-york-faces-radio-interview-barrage

@Schopptalk: Teams say they get radio but people I know with teams never seem to. They don't fully comprehend what our job is: keeping an audience.

@MatthewWGR: @Schopptalk @ByTimGraham Judging by Doug's 4th down question eyeroll at @JoeBuscaglia no matter what we talk about there will be complaints

While I'm never 100% happy with WGR...I have to wonder what any NFL team in the year 2014 would expect?

I know Russ Brandon got a bit testy with Howard Simon when he asked about Marrone's future recently...And Simon answered Brandon's protest with the simple statement (and this may not be the exact quote) "Your fans want to know...they ask these questions...they want to know..." That did shut Brandon down a bit...And it's the whole point...Yes the questions may be tough at times...They may even be unfair from the Bills perspective...But right or wrong fans want to know...And despite the hope that the local media will turn into some type of communist propaganda machine in the Bills favor, many of these questions are completely valid...

There were HUGE holes in Marrone's coaching abilities...He did improve the teams record in 2014...Can't take that away from him...But he was nothing like he was presented to be when he was hired...He was not this forward thinking innovator...He was an old school run first HC who could not develop a running game...There was a constant flow of strange decisions off-the-field along with on-the-field mistakes...Over these two years he lost plenty of winnable games...When he had a Playoff caliber Defense this year, and some nice talent on Offense, he dropped winnable games like Houston on the road, KC at home, and at an Oakland team that ended up with 3 wins...He was an ex NFL O-lineman, and ex NFL O-line coach and by all reports a HC that spent a HUGE chunk of his time working with the O-line only to see the play of the O-line regress not only in his first year...but from his first to his second year after Drafting three O-linemen AND signing a mid tier O-line UFA!!! How is that even possible? The run first HC who saw his running game get worse in his second year...I think that's worthy of a tough question or two...

Marrone is a legend in his own mind...He sees himself as a football genius, but the truth is he's not...And while Russ and the Bills organization would like the local media to put blinders on and be thrilled about a 9 win season...that's simply not reality...Buffalo is still a proud football city that is not willing to accept another year without a Playoff appearance...We as Bills fans can see faults in a coach like Marrone a mile away and yes...uncomfortable or not, we'd like to hear answers...What's so hard to understand about that? B-)

I live in nyc, and while the media is all encompassing (there are so many outlets) and often negative, it isn't as relentlessly negative as the Buffalo media, which is all-encompassing in a different way. The community is so invested in the Bills that it can feel like it's the only subject being covered. It doesn't feel that way in NYC -- there are too many other teams (with the Yankees being number one) and there's too many other interesting things going on.

While I'm never 100% happy with WGR...I have to wonder what any NFL team in the year 2014 would expect?

I know Russ Brandon got a bit testy with Howard Simon when he asked about Marrone's future recently...And Simon answered Brandon's protest with the simple statement (and this may not be the exact quote) "Your fans want to know...they ask these questions...they want to know..." That did shut Brandon down a bit...And it's the whole point...Yes the questions may be tough at times...They may even be unfair from the Bills perspective...But right or wrong fans want to know...And despite the hope that the local media will turn into some type of communist propaganda machine in the Bills favor, many of these questions are completely valid...

There were HUGE holes in Marrone's coaching abilities...He did improve the teams record in 2014...Can't take that away from him...But he was nothing like he was presented to be when he was hired...He was not this forward thinking innovator...He was an old school run first HC who could not develop a running game...There was a constant flow of strange decisions off-the-field along with on-the-field mistakes...Over these two years he lost plenty of winnable games...When he had a Playoff caliber Defense this year, and some nice talent on Offense, he dropped winnable games like Houston on the road, KC at home, and at an Oakland team that ended up with 3 wins...He was an ex NFL O-lineman, and ex NFL O-line coach and by all reports a HC that spent a HUGE chunk of his time working with the O-line only to see the play of the O-line regress not only in his first year...but from his first to his second year after Drafting three O-linemen AND signing a mid tier O-line UFA!!! How is that even possible? The run first HC who saw his running game get worse in his second year...I think that's worthy of a tough question or two...

Marrone is a legend in his own mind...He sees himself as a football genius, but the truth is he's not...And while Russ and the Bills organization would like the local media to put blinders on and be thrilled about a 9 win season...that's simply not reality...Buffalo is still a proud football city that is not willing to accept another year without a Playoff appearance...We as Bills fans can see faults in a coach like Marrone a mile away and yes...uncomfortable or not, we'd like to hear answers...What's so hard to understand about that? B-)

This is the post of the year :thumbsup:

Seriously though...Good Post

I live in nyc, and while the media is all encompassing (there are so many outlets) and often negative, it isn't as relentlessly negative as the Buffalo media, which is all-encompassing in a different way. The community is so invested in the Bills that it can feel like it's the only subject being covered. It doesn't feel that way in NYC -- there are too many other teams (with the Yankees being number one) and there's too many other interesting things going on.

Valid points but if the Jets were in the middle of a 15 year playoff drought the media negativity would be on a completely different level

Totally agree with the NYC comment. Disagree with the Buffalo one. I pay very close attention to the Buffalo media and GR. There are basically only three guys that are always negative, Sully, Gleason, and Schopp. Maybe add the jokers from The D & C but they aren't even always negative, they're just not any good. The other GR guys aren't always negative at all. Bulldog and Simon and Jeremy White aren't. Tim Graham isn't always negative. None of them are.

These guys not liking the Buffalo media is a joke. Russ Brandon, one of the most disingenuous people I ever heard, complaining about the media is hysterical. And I love Russ.

Valid points but if the Jets were in the middle of a 15 year playoff drought the media negativity would be on a completely different level

But there are NY teams in long tailspins here - the Mets and the Knicks, and both have horrible, cartoonish car-wreck owners. They take heat, of course, but the attention often shifts away because new failures and successes among other teams always crop up, shifting the coverage away. It just never seems to shift away in Buffalo - there are two teams and the main opinion columnists (Gleason and Sullivan) are very negative. They drive the mood. I'm not a fan of Sullivan, but he's at least intelligent. I wouldn't say the same about Gleason.

Edited by dave mcbride

Excellent!

How do you think Marone would have reacted to the Chicago writer who declared the season dead after the Bills beat the Bears in the opener.

Turns out he was right, but that was negativity.

I again all to listen to that interview from San Fran, that is what a tough media sounds like.