Marrone was upset at the Buffalo Media

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Marrone was hired, he said the coordinators he brings in will be experts in their field. While we can say that about Pettine and Schwartz, and maybe Crossman this year, there's no way anyone can confidently say Hackett is an expert at being an OC. With that being said, how much credit should Marrone get with this year's 9-7 record? Should he get credit for hiring Pettine, Schwartz, and getting players to help out Crossman on Special Teams? One thing is for sure, he is a former offensive linemen and former OC and the offense, especially the O-line has regressed significantly.

The single minded focus on whether to go for it on 4th down by several in the Buffalo media was myopic.

I agree.

This whole topic is a media-driven whore-fest. The 'Snooze staff seems to have no limits anymore on how low they'll go to capture eyeballs...Vic (who I had high hopes from with his return) included.

I agree.

This whole topic is a media-driven whore-fest. The 'Snooze staff seems to have no limits anymore on how low they'll go to capture eyeballs...Vic (who I had high hopes from with his return) included.

Ok, fine. So tune it out if you're the coach. Problem is, Marrone is a thin-skinned narcissist.

Well he's going to LOVE the NYC media, as many have already pointed out. Here's the NY Daily News' main attack dog, Manish Mehta. He's already after St. Doug:

"Marrone isn’t Lombardi, Walsh or Halas. He’s a middling coach with a middling resume. His power play for an extension after a 15-17 record – and no playoff appearances – in his first two seasons was curious to many people across the league. “I don’t understand it,” one front office executive said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-consultants-pushing-doug-marrone-jets-article-1.2062892

Well he's going to LOVE the NYC media, as many have already pointed out. Here's the NY Daily News' main attack dog, Manish Mehta. He's already after St. Doug:

"Marrone isn’t Lombardi, Walsh or Halas. He’s a middling coach with a middling resume. His power play for an extension after a 15-17 record – and no playoff appearances – in his first two seasons was curious to many people across the league. “I don’t understand it,” one front office executive said."

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2062892

This is an amazing read

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-consultants-pushing-doug-marrone-jets-article-1.2062892

That's a great article. Ha. Mehta is a fun read at times. Always kinda liked him.

That's a great article. Ha. Mehta is a fun read at times. Always kinda liked him.

He puts Jerry Sullivan to shame. Sometimes he cuts corners with the facts, but as a card carrying Jets hater I can't get enough of his stuff. When the Jets have an embarrassing loss on Sunday, Manish is usually a key part of a great Monday.

I agree.

I brought this up after the game Sunday.. various members of the media, specifically those at WGR were jerks, Marrone did not trust them after the injury with EJ stuff last year, his 110% comment was wrong and they just ripped him for it. I believe Marrone was never over friendly after that point. That being said... those at WGR then became overly critical of him because it became personal. They went crazy on the 4th down thing. In his first yaer Marrone was approachable and down right funny in his appearances on the Howard Simon show. Last season's big thing that they harped on was the QB sneak on 4th down and he even came on and talked about it and said he would look at their stats. Howard Simon said he didn't want him back 7 weeks ago on the pregame show. I'm not excusing Marrone because he could have killed them with kindness etc...and taken the high road but I believe it was hard for him to take criticism from guys that have never been coaches or leaders etc... Some of their points may have had merit but others were down right stupid. There was also way too much criticism after wins etc.

I have a dear friend in the local media who gave me some insight into the current Marrone firestorm and what likely won't change under Bill Polian. See what you think:

The Bills aren't fond of criticism by the media. The department heads in charge of media and communication at One Bills Drive pay close attention to the media, especially to what's said and served up on sports talk radio.

More often than not The Buffalo News gets a pass because, being owned by Warren Buffett, one of the richest men on the planet, and being Buffalo's only daily news paper, The News has clout. There's a media axiom that says you don't mess with a company that buys printer's ink by the tank car.

But radio, especially talk radio, is viewed from a different perspective by the Bills, who have been known to try to muzzle and muscle coverage on radio and TV. When WGR adopted the news-sports-talk format in 1990 and obtained the rights to the Bills, the attempted manipulation went into overdrive.

As a radio guy and a season ticket holder, I understand the perspective from both sides of the desk. Here's where things will get even more interesting if reports are true about former Bills GM Bill Polian coming back to consult the Bills.

The odds-on favorite to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame and architect of the Bills AFC Championship years, Polian is the guy who once advised Art Wander, who at the time did an afternoon sports talk show on AM 1400 a low power Buffalo radio station heard by a few hundred listeners at best, to "get out of town."

A little sensitive, Bill?

Wander later joined WGR, a 5 thousand watt blaster, where his popularity and ratings increased. WGR had the radio rights to the Bills at the time and held them through the franchise's (oh and) four Super Bowl runs.

When I worked at WGR and 97 Rock, Polian was known to pick up the phone at the slightest provocation. He once called the stations' General Sales Manager and vociferously (picture veins popping out of his neck) blamed him and the stations for inciting the fans to tear the goal posts down after the Bills clinched a playoff birth.

Ridiculous.

The Sales Manager, not one to be trifled with, told Polian to get a grip. The Bills had a rocky relationship with WGR, even though the station as a unit, promoted and supported the team, and paid the Bills millions of dollars for the team's radio broadcast rights.

The Bills had a better mutual relationship with 97 Rock, which worked in lock step with the Bills as a radio and business partner. But that relationship ended when Citadel Broadcasting, the company that owned 97, 103 and 104, went bankrupt and the bankruptcy court allowed Citadel to void contracts with all parties. When 97 Rock's owners opted out, the Bills were in need of a broadcast partner.

Entercom Communications, which owns AM 550, AM 930, AM 1400 and AM 1520, as well as FM 98.5; FM 102.5 and FM 107.7, was the only company that showed interest in the Bills. Imagine the reaction at One Bills Drive when that deal was put together.

Reliable sources told me the Bills VP of communications made his feelings known about at least one of WGR's talk show hosts, hoping his displeasure would "soften" the host's perspective.

It didn't. And why should it?

Because Town Square, the company that owns 92.9; 93.7; 96.1 and 106.5 saw no need to cut an expensive deal with the Bills, Entercom was the only company that had the desire, capital and clout to do a contract with the team.

The Bills went back to WGR. The sports talk station. Where personalities and callers could praise and parse the team at will. Buffalo football fans know their stuff. It can't be sugar-coated. Objective analysis and commentary has value. The problems arise when personal attacks are made. On the whole, the Bills on WGR is a good fit, even if the Bills might have reservations and occasionally become hyper-sensitive to legitimate criticism.

Over the years, in and out of the daily routine, it's my opinion that the Bills prefer to deal with national media over local media. There have been occasions where national writers have been "fed" information hours before the local media. In today's world, an hour might as well be a week.

And of course, we know about ESPN's Chris Berman, the Bills biggest cheerleader on the national stage. His tight relationship with the Bills media VPs resulted in ESPN getting information minutes and hours before members of the Buffalo media.

The Bills say they don't pay attention to the media, the newspaper writers and the sports talk show hosts, but the comments in today's News story prove otherwise. Having been part of the Buffalo radio media for many years, I know first hand the Bills pay attention to what's said and printed.

So, from a media watcher's perspective, it will be interesting to see what happens when Bill "Get Out Of Town" Polian comes in to review the Bills organization. Could be loud.

I also heard from another source that Bill Polian was able to get certain media people fired that he didn't care for. So if Marrone being thin skinned is an issue for the local media, what will change under Bill Polian?

Agreed about Mehta!

Much better and smarter than Sully (and of course, Bucky). And since he writes in NYC I can laugh at his shots. But I'm really not a fan or columnists who make their living trashing the local team. I prefer SOME objectivity. At least Mehta seems to understand the game a bit.

The NY media ripped Rex Ryan for going to watch his son play a football game.

The "Saint Doug" thing came from Marrone. That's how he looks at himself, as some sort of Lombardi-like coach with big-time credentials.

Only a truly arrogant SOB would dub himself "Saint" anything based on a .500 career record.

If Belichick called himself "Saint Bill" I might buy it. After all, there has to be SOME divine intervention up there in NE*