Marrone was upset at the Buffalo Media

I brought this up after the game Sunday.. various members of the media, specifically those at WGR were jerks, Marrone did not trust them after the injury with EJ stuff last year, his 110% comment was wrong and they just ripped him for it. I believe Marrone was never over friendly after that point. That being said... those at WGR then became overly critical of him because it became personal. They went crazy on the 4th down thing. In his first yaer Marrone was approachable and down right funny in his appearances on the Howard Simon show. Last season's big thing that they harped on was the QB sneak on 4th down and he even came on and talked about it and said he would look at their stats. Howard Simon said he didn't want him back 7 weeks ago on the pregame show. I'm not excusing Marrone because he could have killed them with kindness etc...and taken the high road but I believe it was hard for him to take criticism from guys that have never been coaches or leaders etc... Some of their points may have had merit but others were down right stupid. There was also way too much criticism after wins etc.

There is a lot of truth in what you wrote.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NY media ripped Rex Ryan for going to watch his son play a football game.

The "Saint Doug" thing came from Marrone. That's how he looks at himself, as some sort of Lombardi-like coach with big-time credentials.

Only a truly arrogant SOB would dub himself "Saint" anything based on a .500 career record.

If Belichick called himself "Saint Bill" I might buy it. After all, there has to be SOME divine intervention up there in NE*

I have to believe Doug said this in jest, at least somewhat. I find it hard to interpret things in the most negative way, simply because I may not care for a person.

I have to believe Doug said this in jest, at least somewhat. I find it hard to interpret things in the most negative way, simply because I may not care for a person.

I get that, but Marrone is someone who seems almost universally disliked by the people he leaves in his wake after he plows through an organization.

I find it laughable but probably mostly true that Marrone was upset with his Buffalo media critics, including WGR. Laughable in that there is not one person in the WNY media, from Sullivan to Buscaglia, that is qualified to land even an intern job with an NFL team. Their second guessing and in depth NFL knowledge can be found on any barstool in WNY. So Doug, if you were upset at that, and clearly you were, you should have considered the source and manned up a bit. But your dealings with the media here revealed a lot about your character; thin skinned and considerably less than honest. And informing your team via text after it was already public is consistent with your general lack of candor.

Marrone's last interview with WGR with Sal was a gem. Asked if, given his only coaching/NFL experience was on the offensive side of the ball, if he spends more time with the offense, Marrone insisted that he spends equal time on defense, special teams and offense. A lie. A stupid lie. I mean if it was true it would be dumb anyway, since the D and special teams were doing great, and it was the O that was struggling and needed the attention. We know Doug was not interfering with Schwartz, just as he had little input in Pettine's D.

So good luck Doug. If the likes of Howard Simon bother you, I am sure you will do well in NYC. Clueless Howard wanted you fired, but stated he was surprised other teams were interested in you. Simon, who gets paid to follow the NFL, was actually surprised that Doug is a much desired coach candidate. Definition of clueless. Reminded me of the time Simon landed the great Mike Mayock on his radio show several years ago right before the draft, and informed Mike that he thought Bills should take James Hardy with their 1st round (12th overall) pick. Because, after all, Hardy was tall. Mayock actually laughed at Simon, and informed him that nobody believed Hardy was a round one pick. No one. Simon cut the interview short

While I agree with you on the parts about Marrone being thin skinned, I disagree with you on the parts about the Media.

What you are ignoring is the fact that radio is and always will be about listeners. Listeners = audience base. Audience base = demographic to sell to advertisers. Advertisers = revenue.

You don't need to be an NFL intern to interpret the game and speak to the fans. In fact, guys like Jeremy White, Joe B, and Matthew Coller do a great job of being the intermediary between the Counter Trap, A Gap, 3 technique, X's and O's guys, and Bob from Cheektowaga who thinks Jim Kelly should come back and coach the Bills.

The technology available to everyone these days (all 22, NFL Rewind) mean that more than ever, the gap between coach speak and honest evaluations is closing.

Edited by 5 Wide

Actually think Buffalo media pressure is underrated in a fishbowl sort of way. So what if NY is a much bigger market. Not sure who their Schopp is. It's not Francesca who is from the old "punt/kick" school and he likes guys who are never interesting (DM is way better than Rex at being uninteresting).

Why is it that everbody buys into the Marrone hated the Buffalo media angle so much? The source of that is the same Buffalo media, seems very narcistic to me. Is it because we all hate the BUffalo media and therefor find it easy to buy into? That's what I find laughable.

Actually think Buffalo media pressure is underrated in a fishbowl sort of way. So what if NY is a much bigger market. Not sure who their Schopp is. It's not Francesca who is from the old "punt/kick" school and he likes guys who are never interesting (DM is way better than Rex at being uninteresting).

That's what I've been thinking.

Paul Hamilton was being a dick last night (I usually like him) on GR, and at one point, he said that tired "you think it's bad here, wait until you get to NYC" phrase. I really don't think it's worse.............Although the NY Post has very clever headline writers for that back page!

While I agree with you on the parts about Marrone being thin skinned, I disagree with you on the parts about the Media.

What you are ignoring is the fact that radio is and always will be about listeners. Listeners = audience base. Audience base = demographic to sell to advertisers. Advertisers = revenue.

You don't need to be an NFL intern to interpret the game and speak to the fans. In fact, guys like Jeremy White, Joe B, and Matthew Coller do a great job of being the intermediary between the Counter Trap, A Gap, 3 technique, X's and O's guys, and Bob from Cheektowaga who thinks Jim Kelly should come back and coach the Bills.

The technology available to everyone these days (all 22, NFL Rewind) mean that more than ever, the gap between coach speak and honest evaluations is closing.

If they don't even have the expertise to be an NFL intern, why and how is their "interpretation" any different or better than Joe the drunk from down the street. Listen to the stupidity that comes out of WGR on a regular basis, and it's hard to understand your point. The Simon example was one, we had another WGR "expert" opine that the Bills should draft a QB in EVERY single one of the seven rounds of the draft in the hopes of finding one.

Look I don't expect these guys to be experts. But REAL journalists who cover the NFL actually develop sources, insiders or ex coaches, who provide their expertise and/or inside knowledge, as a basis for the opinions or insights passed on to viewers/ listeners. Otherwise you have exactly what you get now, just a guy who never played or coached the game, simply watching a game on TV and providing us with his completely uninformed opinion.

Paul Hamilton was being a dick last night (I usually like him) on GR, and at one point, he said that tired "you think it's bad here, wait until you get to NYC" phrase. I really don't think it's worse.............Although the NY Post has very clever headline writers for that back page!

Not only is your angry local fanbase much larger, but when you are bad in NY you are in the national news for it every week. Basically Coughlin and Rex have been getting skewered on ESPN for years. it's the sports and media capitol of the country. When you are bad in Buffalo Sully writes something bad about you and Schopp says he's not sold on you. Otherwise, nobody outside of WNY cares. You are only relevant in Buffalo if you are winning. So yeah, it's maybeeee 100 times worse in NYC. :lol:

Paul Hamilton is a perfect example of the clueless. Doesn't know a thing about the NFL, has never developed a source who does, but shoots his mouth off all the same with one ill informed take after another. It was Hamilton who told us all at the beginning of the year that that Bills absolutely should have fired the special teams coach. Big mistake not to, according to Paul. After a 2014 season where the special teams performed well, we hear nothing from Paul the NFL expert. Early on Paul was yapping every week that he could not understand why Mario Williams wasn't being moved to different spots along the defensive line. Jim Schwartz actually provided an explanation, which Paul apparently missed, but hey what does Schwartz know? 14.5 sacks later, Hamilton hasn't a word to say on the subject. Just moves on to his next inane take

You have to admit what kind of NFL flagship talks about firing the coach right after one of the greatest wins in Bills history? (GB) Can't that wait till Monday?

One of the greatest wins in Bills history?

lol

Come on! That's what they WANTED us to think. It was a really nice win for them. But teams beat good teams every week. Tampa beat the Steelers IN Pittsburgh. Where is Lovie's ring?

This is a franchise that won AFL Championships, prime time games, playoff games, and went to Super Bowls.

The Green Bay game was nice and all but a regular season win against a good team does not even rank in the top 20.

lol

Come on! That's what they WANTED us to think. It was a really nice win for them. But teams beat good teams every week. Tampa beat the Steelers IN Pittsburgh. Where is Lovie's ring?

This is a franchise that won AFL Championships, prime time games, playoff games, and went to Super Bowls.

The Green Bay game was nice and all but a regular season win against a good team does not even rank in the top 20.

They won a game that everyone said they couldn't. They shut down a top 3 NFL QB. But you're right. It was nothing. But did they have talk about firing Marrone on that post-game show?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

lol

It doesn't matter. They wrote it off like the last 4 games were a guarantee to go 1-3 and we wouldn't compete and how GB, DEN, and NE were all Superbowl caliber teams, and we embarrassed GB. Wrong time to ask about his job security IMO.

You have to admit what kind of NFL flagship talks about firing the coach right after one of the greatest wins in Bills history? (GB) Can't that wait till Monday?

Why? The following week's game justified the "fire him" talk.

They won a game that everyone said they couldn't. They shut down a top 3 NFL QB. But you're right. It was nothing. But did they have talk about firing Marrone on that post-game show?

I did not say it was "nothing."

But calling it one of the greatest wins in franchise history is comical. The Chiefs embarrassed Brady on national TV. Teams beat good teams every year. Great players look terrible from time to time.

It doesn't matter. They wrote it off like the last 4 games were a guarantee to go 1-3 and we wouldn't compete and how GB, DEN, and NE were all Superbowl caliber teams, and we embarrassed GB. Wrong time to ask about his job security IMO.

It did seem like bad timing to talk about firing Marrone. That I agree with.