Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

My concern with Reich is whether his brand of toughness will translate as an NFL HC, where success usually depends on the players mirroring the HC's personality.

I always perceived him as man-of-God tough. That works great for self motivation. I'm not sure that can work anymore in the hedonist environment of the NFL.

Guys like Belichick, Carrol, Harbaugh....you get the impression these guys are unencumbered by perceived moral boundaries, and that matches up better with the personnel in the NFL.

Maybe I am wrong. I really don't know what Frank does as a coach and maybe he won't try to impose his spirituality on a team full of rolling eyes, but it would be a concern if he did.

Agreed, but Dungy did OK with a similar persona. But then again he was always OK with dirty play, particularly in his DC days.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern with Reich is whether his brand of toughness will translate as an NFL HC, where success usually depends on the players mirroring the HC's personality.

I always perceived him as man-of-God tough. That works great for self motivation. I'm not sure that can work anymore in the hedonist environment of the NFL.

Guys like Belichick, Carrol, Harbaugh....you get the impression these guys are unencumbered by perceived moral boundaries, and that matches up better with the personnel in the NFL.

Maybe I am wrong. I really don't know what Frank does as a coach and maybe he won't try to impose his spirituality on a team full of rolling eyes, but it would be a concern if he did.

This is my view and I share the concern. Reich used to lead group prayers on game day. But then again, Dungy is similar and it can work. Just not the style I'd feel most comfortable with.

Agreed, but Dungy did OK with a similar persona. But then again he was always OK with dirty play, particularly in his DC days.

Exactly.

Polian was head of pro personnel for the Bills when Reich was drafted in 1985. He didn't draft him, but presumably he had a say. In the expansion draft of 1995, Polian as GM of Carolina selected Reich from the Bills. Reich's first coaching job was an offensive assistant/qb coach for Indy in 2008, when Polian was running the show. He was promoted to QB coach when Dungy left in 2009.

Frank Reich will in all likelihood be the next coach of the Bills.

What we really don't know is the job that Pegula will be offering Polian. It's possible, but it's somewhat hard to believe that he is going to be GM. And if he's not, it's hard for me to believe that he is going to handpick a head coach before he gets here and force him on his GM, especially if it remains Whaley.

Whaley could quit too unless he loves Reich as the choice.

Almost as interesting as who the next coach is going to be is what kind of job or power will Polian have. He's not going to scout and spend ten hours watching tape a day. And that is the only way he can really be making draft picks. I think he is just going to be an overseer, and help in numerous aspects. But that may not be forcing a coach on a GM. Especially because he would never have tolerated that as a GM.

probably one of the most ludicrous things i have ever read.

The defense was loaded with talented playmakers across the board and played a react instead of attack defense, which was ridiculous. IMO and many, many others, Corey was the sole reason we lost four. He should have been gone years before but Marv was too loyal to him. A decent DC on that team with Bruce and Bennett and Talley and Hansen all of the other guys would have dominated.

I also think that NT Jeff Wright and DE Bruce Smith were pass rushers first and run stoppers 2nd. Wright, in particular, had a hard time holding the middle of the defense together against the monsterous NFC OLs.

This is an interesting observation.

Dungy-- an outspoken Christian and quiet, strong leader-- is the counter-example.

One of my biggest worries about Reich as well.

Ive noticed we share the same concerns and opinions on most of these new issues. The Bills must be in some real trouble if that's happening! :thumbsup:

Why is it too soon for Reich to be a head coach? He played for 14 years and has been an assistant for 8 years. Worked his way up from QB coach of the Colts to the OC of the Chargers. Is there a magic number of years it takes? Has there been anyone that was just named a head coach without being an assistant? Everyone was given a chance at some point. Reich is a year older than Rex Ryan. Ryan was an assistant for 22 years. Same amount of experience. Jim Harbaugh was QB coach with the Raiders and then was hired as the Chargers head coach. Never even a coordinator. Marrone was the Saints OC for 3 years. What happened? Was he good or did he have Drew Brees in his prime? I'd say he had Brees. Point is, if the Bills decide that Reich is the guy, then hire him. Can't turn out any worse than the last 15 years.

Deep!