Brandon is a Big part of the problem

Toledo Bill

I have mixed feelings on Brandon and his comments on Marrone building a new culture were clearly stupid unless Marrone has a secret yogurt experiment going on in the lunch room fridge at OBD.

That said, when Mr. Wilson died, Brandon personally participated in a lot of events with the fans, and helped the team through the sale process which resulted in them being permanent Buffalo residents. That is a big deal IMO and I'm guessing it was not easily navigated with vultures like Jones and Kraft trying to get Jon Bon Jersey and Toronto. I'm not saying he did that all on his own, but he played a part. To me, whatever he did during that transitional phase to end up with this result should never be forgotten.

So he hired an incredibly crappy coach while he had a limited budget. That has been a short term problem. It can be fixed.

But . . . isnt that his job?

The argument he should be retained for doing his job is kinda like NFL players who want a new contract with fat signing bonus, as a reward for past performance.

It dont work that way. Whatever you have done for me lately, i've paid you for. What will you do for me tomorrow?

The Pegulas not doing anything yet does not mean they will not or that they are not laying the groundwork. That is not how they operate.

Remember... one day we woke up and found out that Darcy AND Rolston were fired (the night after a win) and Lafonatine was the new President of Hockey Operations and Ted freaking Nolan was back to coach.

NOBODY saw that coming. There were no "sources" telling us that Nolan was on the way back. Nolan coming back was probably one of the most unlikely events possible.

It would be like waking up tomorrow and finding out that Whaley and Marrone were out and Jim Kelly was President of Football Operations and Marv Levy was back as coach on an interim basis.

What the Sabres did was something that if you predicted it on a message board people would mock, ridicule, and dismiss you.

I'm NOT saying they will fire everyone, because I don't think they will. BUT do not be surprised when someone shows up as the "consultant" or whatever title they give the person right after the season and nobody saw it coming.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Are the Buffalo Bills really a mess? I mean, are they making the Pegula's money? Do the Pegula's really want a winning Buffalo Bills football team or are they primarily in it for the money?

Buffalo Bills fans lap this stuff up even when the Bills suck. So why would the Pegula's care about a winning Buffalo Bills football team?

Unquestionably the dumbest thread in weeks.

They have owned the team for a couple of months, they greaatly overpaid for a team in a small market and you see evidence that they don't care about winning?

give it a chance!

Russ Brandon routinely opines on the football operation: "'Whales' has done a great job," "Marrone has changed the culture, etc." He is always quick to offer his opinion on any football matter to any reporter who asks. Do you think he keeps these opinions to himself on the inside? Hell no. He is trying hard to keep Whaley and Marrone in place to make himself look good (he hired them) and to maintain influence over football decisions.

But hiring these clowns should be a firing offense for Brandon.

Whaley should be fired for the 2014 draft alone. If a draft is historic in terms of its WR depth, you don't trade up to grab a WR. It makes no sense. You can't know for sure which one of these guys is the best available but you know a very good one will be available at #9. So you trade away a #1 to get to draw the first lottery ticket? idiotic.

Marrone hired an overmatched college coordinator to run the offense and has been about as good with in-game decisions as my blind 19-year old terrier mix.

Unquestionably the dumbest thread in weeks.

They have owned the team for a couple of months, they greaatly overpaid for a team in a small market and you see evidence that they don't care about winning?

give it a chance!

:thumbsup: Never underestimate the posts you find on this board.

Here's what I'm unclear on - when Pegula took over the team, the coverage indicated that Brandon would stick to marketing/communications for the team and Whaley would oversee the football operations. A wall of separation, if you will, that was demonstrably absent during the final years of Ralph's tenure.

Flash forward to a couple weeks ago and Brandon is quoted as saying that Marrone has done a great job changing the culture and he's happy with him. If Brandon is strictly on the marketing side, he shouldn't be commenting on the coach's performance. And at the very least, he shouldn't be doing so in a public setting.

I'd be more than relieved if Pegula/Whaley were the only ones commenting on the football team itself.

Let Brandon stick to his strengths - namely selling a product that's been moribund for more than half my lifetime at this point. But if he continues behaving as if his opinion on the GM/coaches/players has any consequence, then he should be the first one shown the door.

Russ Brandon routinely opines on the football operation: "'Whales' has done a great job," "Marrone has changed the culture, etc." He is always quick to offer his opinion on any football matter to any reporter who asks. Do you think he keeps these opinions to himself on the inside? Hell no. He is trying hard to keep Whaley and Marrone in place to make himself look good (he hired them) and to maintain influence over football decisions.

Whaley should be fired for the 2014 draft alone. If a draft is historic in terms of its WR depth, you don't trade up to grab a WR. It makes no sense. You can't know for sure which one of these guys is the best available but you know a very good one will be available at #9. So you trade away a #1 to get to draw the first lottery ticket? idiotic.

Marrone hired an overmatched college coordinator to run the offense and has been about as good with in-game decisions as my blind 19-year old terrier mix.

Well said here

Brandon seems to skate through so much of this mess. He is the one constant through these depressing years. I am really sick of "He is a great Marketer". There are a lot of talented marketing professionals out there.

He had Wilson's ear and he is doing his best to work on Pegula.

He was "in charge" for several of the terrible decisions that have been made.

He hired a lower tier College coach (and his asinine assistants).

So now he is "working" Pegula with all his comments about Marrone.

He is a politician and a very poor football man.

Get rid of him... he is a major part of this teams problems.

I agree of much of what you wrote. I would emphasize the fact that he looks like a professional and he gets much more respect than he deserves because of it. He is the ultimate politician who knows how to schmooze the owner(s). I call it the "empty suit syndrome". He looks the part of an executive even though the actual substance is absent.

Let's look at Brandon's record as a top executive with the Bills. He has been the top exec since 2006. During these 9 seasons the team has never made the playoffs. Also, the team's win percentage is less than 40%. He has failed by any objective measure, but he manages to escape scrutiny and responsibility for his failure.

What next?

Based on what I observed from Terry Pegula when he took over the Sabres, Brandon will remain in his position next year at least. He will most likely keep the equally flawed Doug Whaley and Marrone. Pegula kept the Sabres hierarchy together with the Sabres when he took over. Over time he realized that the people in charge were not doing the job well and he eventually made changes. He will most likely follow the same course with the Bills.

What I would do if I were the owner?

I would immediately hire a consulting team of current or former executives, personnel men(GM's), and even coaches who have a track record of success in the NFL. I would ask them to evaluate the performance of the current management team and ask for their recommendations and possible courses of action. After I received their report, I would ask the consultants to recommend a list of candidates to fill the CEO and GM positions. Given the list of candidates, I would hire the best possible candidates regardless of salary. (shopping for talent in the discount bin has not worked for the Bills!)

I would replace the current failures with the best candidates that money can buy. These executives might be working for other teams right now, but I would offer them more money to turn the Bills into a champion. Once I hired the CEO and GM, I would instruct the GM to follow the same process to hire a new head coach. Hire the best possible coach and assistants that money can buy! Spending $18.5 million on a quality coaching staff is a better investment than spending the same amount on a Jay Cutler for one year! Previous Bills GM's have hired coaches who couldn't find jobs anywhere else!

The only chance the Bills have for future success is to replace the current failures with top notch people. The current management has the stink of losing all over them. Hopefully the new owner will realize this fact.

This guy comes out blowing Marrone's horn about changing the culture, this guy (Brandon)is great at selling tickets. He needs to stay away from all football decisions (you win one big game the whole year) at that is changing the culture?He also told everyone the day Marrone was hired that Marrone was innovative & cutting edge.Did anyone see that in two years?

Edited by Niagara Dude

Spot on!

I argued from the moment it happened that forfeiting a future #1 draft pick to trade up for a WR was an historic blunder. I still believe it strongly today. Today, would you trade Sammy Watkins for Odell Beckham Jr. and a 1st round pick? Every GM in the league outside of Orchard Park would do so in a second!!! Whaley blew it big time. I agree he should be fired on this basis alone when you consider the Bills had no established QB to get him the ball. A classic case of putting the cart in front of the horse. Look at what Dallas did over the last few years in the draft. Three number 1 picks on offensive lineman and now that are headed to the playoffs based on a great rushing attack and giving the QB time to throw.

The Bills used two number one picks on a WR with no quality QB to pass it to him. And people wonder why the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 15 years.

He will but out of football operations soon. Pegula will bring in his own crew, He learned his lesson with the Sabres.

I truly do not believe we can take anything out of what Pegula did with the Sabres and say with any certainty whatsoever that this is what he will do with the Bills. He started out keeping the status quo. It blew up in his face. But a guy like that, or anyone who has been successful in business and in life, is NOT going to suddenly go against his gut instinct, and first decision. He's NOT going to say, because of what happened, status quo is wrong and blowing it up is right.

He's going to go in with an open mind and say to himself sometimes status quo is the right way, and sometimes blowing it up is the right way, and you don't know what your gut instinct will tell you until you get inside it and evaluate it. He had a much bigger predisposed position on the Sabres decision though. He always liked Darcy and Lindy. For the Bills, there was only the two years of Marrone, and for the most part, Whaley.

Here's what I'm unclear on - when Pegula took over the team, the coverage indicated that Brandon would stick to marketing/communications for the team and Whaley would oversee the football operations. A wall of separation, if you will, that was demonstrably absent during the final years of Ralph's tenure.

Flash forward to a couple weeks ago and Brandon is quoted as saying that Marrone has done a great job changing the culture and he's happy with him. If Brandon is strictly on the marketing side, he shouldn't be commenting on the coach's performance. And at the very least, he shouldn't be doing so in a public setting.

I'd be more than relieved if Pegula/Whaley were the only ones commenting on the football team itself.

Let Brandon stick to his strengths - namely selling a product that's been moribund for more than half my lifetime at this point. But if he continues behaving as if his opinion on the GM/coaches/players has any consequence, then he should be the first one shown the door.

It makes you wonder why Russ feels obligated to discuss parts of the team he has no responsibility for. And it's also strange because the people who should be most concerned (above the coach-player level) with winning are the GM and Owners who have remained silent since the sale was approved in October.

Excellent post.

Even if he has a contractual obligation to appear and make himself available to answer specific questions about Whaley and Marrone? It's not like the guy called a press conference to create a platform for his opinion on the matter. Just because he's only too glad to do so when asked doesn't change that. If we don't like what he has to say, maybe we should urge the media to stop asking him questions.

GO BILLS!!!

Russ Brandon has done a brilliant job of selling a terrible team for well over a decade, and is one of the integral reasons that there will even be a BUFFALO Bills five years from now. He's not a football operations expert; he's not a personnel expert; he's not a coaching expert. He's a sports business expert who helped us retain our team, and even if he were useless now - which he decidedly isn't - he'd deserve a sinecure for life for past service.

The number of people who want Brandon's head is at once puzzling and totally expected. Puzzling, because he's good at what the Pegulas pay him to do. Expected, because we quite naturally demand blood after another year of failure on the field.

Even if he has a contractual obligation to appear and make himself available to answer specific questions about Whaley and Marrone? It's not like the guy called a press conference to create a platform for his opinion on the matter. Just because he's only too glad to do so when asked doesn't change that. If we don't like what he has to say, maybe we should urge the media to stop asking him questions.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd be shocked if there's something in his contract stipulating that he has to answer specific questions about Whaley/Marrone. But yes, if he's truly not on the football side of operations, then it should be Pegula/Whaley/Marrone speaking on behalf of the team at an event where media is present. Simply put, Brandon has no authority to assess the coaching staff or front office.

Go Bills.

This guy comes out blowing Marrone's horn about changing the culture, this guy (Brandon)is great at selling tickets. He needs to stay away from all football decisions (you win one big game the whole year) at that is changing the culture?He also told everyone the day Marrone was hired that Marrone was innovative & cutting edge.Did anyone see that in two years?

I did. How many head coaches wore visors before Marrone came along? The cutting edge chit is there you just have too dig a little.

I'd be shocked if there's something in his contract stipulating that he has to answer specific questions about Whaley/Marrone. But yes, if he's truly not on the football side of operations, then it should be Pegula/Whaley/Marrone speaking on behalf of the team at an event where media is present. Simply put, Brandon has no authority to assess the coaching staff or front office.

Go Bills.

He has an obligation to appear on WGR every week and he answers the questions put forth. I don't think he tells them what questions to ask.

GO BILLS!!!

He has an obligation to appear on WGR every week and he answers the questions put forth. I don't think he tells them what questions to ask.

GO BILLS!!!

He also has answers to questions they don't ask. Like the time he told GR that the HC he hired had "changed the culture."

He also has answers to questions they don't ask. Like the time he told GR that the HC he hired had "changed the culture."

Wrong. WGR asked him to expand on his previous remarks made at the Quarterback Club luncheon regarding Marrone and the culture change.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Not so much. He chooses how he is going to answer questions. For example, if someone asked anyone with a contract to appear on WGR when was the last time they had sex, are we to assume they are contractually obligated to answer to the millisecond?

Not so much. He chooses how he is going to answer questions. For example, if someone asked anyone with a contract to appear on WGR when was the last time they had sex, are we to assume they are contractually obligated to answer to the millisecond?

At least you're objecting to the way he answered a direct question posed by someone else. That's different than people getting on his case for spouting off on subjects without being prompted.

GO BILLS!!!

He has never deferred a football question to my knowledge. Along with being all over the playing field at camp, meeting with prospective coaches and free agents, being front and center in the draft war room with materials scatiered in front of him, being shown at the hof game with an open laptop in front of him very deeply concentrating on the field, and just the fact that they had the audacity to try to crowbar him in as the gm in 2008. Can anyone fault anybody for gaining the perception that this guy carries heavy influence and opinion on the football side?

I mentioned in a different thread I went to school for sports business for awhile. Pretty much everybody there including myself were there because our athletic careers were over or almost over, and we wanted to someday be a gm of a pro sports team. There is no way brandon is passing this opportunity up.

I don't dislike the guy really or blame him. I just think the organization needs to wall off the business side completely with brandon behind the wall. I really don't believe he is a very good communicator through the media and/or burned a lot of his goodwill defending the Toronto series.

Do we really think the bills can attract the harboughs, chip kellys, gruden of the world if they need to run everything through a business guy?

Food for thought from http://billsmafia.co...-nfl-offseason/

The Bills’ offensive line has surrendered 37 sacks, 82 QB Hits and 113 pressures. In simpler terms, Kyle Orton is getting hurried, hit or sacked on 38.2% of his dropbacks, the sixth highest rate among 27 qualifying quarterbacks…

It’s tough to get passes off when a quarterback’s own lineman is sitting in his lap the instant the ball is snapped. So, Hackett relied on operating out of the shotgun. Move Orton a few yards back, create space between himself and the defenders in hopes of giving an extra split second to make a play. That’s why 449 of the Bills’ 556 dropbacks were out of a shotgun formation.

But sometimes even that isn’t enough, as Orton’s snap-to-sack time of 3.14 seconds was the fourth fastest time at his position. Another way to limit an opponents’ pass rush is to get the ball out quickly, using screens, slants and quick, high-percentage short throws to move down the field. That’s why Orton’s average time from snap to attempt was 2.32 seconds, the third quickest time among 27 qualifying quarterbacks.

Edited by hondo in seattle

He has never deferred a football question to my knowledge. Along with being all over the playing field at camp, meeting with prospective coaches and free agents, being front and center in the draft war room with materials scatiered in front of him, being shown at the hof game with an open laptop in front of him very deeply concentrating on the field, and just the fact that they had the audacity to try to crowbar him in as the gm in 2008. Can anyone fault anybody for gaining the perception that this guy carries heavy influence and opinion on the football side?

I mentioned in a different thread I went to school for sports business for awhile. Pretty much everybody there including myself were there because our athletic careers were over or almost over, and we wanted to someday be a gm of a pro sports team. There is no way brandon is passing this opportunity up.

I don't dislike the guy really or blame him. I just think the organization needs to wall off the business side completely with brandon behind the wall. I really don't believe he is a very good communicator through the media and/or burned a lot of his goodwill defending the Toronto series.

Do we really think the bills can attract the harboughs, chip kellys, gruden of the world if they need to run everything through a business guy?

I won't fault anyone for forming that perception but I can't ignore the abundance of chatter over the years over who actually called the shots while Brandon was GM. In absence of anything credible pointing to specific football decisions hes made, I don't put much weight on the easy connect the dots.

Since he became president we have had a better roster than we have had since the 90s. We have the best record since the early 2000s. I have no problem with him staying. My only problem with him and any one in the front office is they haven't found a qb or been trying very hard to find one.

He wasn't very good as a gm but as team president he has been fine

Spot on!! when he was the defacto "GM", I doubt he was much more than a sounding board for DJ and Nix. If them two would disagree, he may after listening to both sides be the tie breaker vote. That's why he he likely removed himself from that position.

There's going to be alot of very disappointed people on this board next week as likely the only change that may occur is the replacing of Hackert and the offensive staff. Likely Whaley and RB will be back and I'd be very disappointed if they canned Whaley as they'd be hard pressed to find a better replacement and please don't suggest 70 year old Bill Pollian.

I won't fault anyone for forming that perception but I can't ignore the abundance of chatter over the years over who actually called the shots while Brandon was GM. In absence of anything credible pointing to specific football decisions hes made, I don't put much weight on the easy connect the dots.

I don't care if he was only the defacto GM. He has been the face of the franchise for about the last 5-6 years. He has had a major role in the organization during the entire playoff drought. When you hear him on the radio and other media outlets, he talks like he is still running the show.

I am sorry but we can't keep this guy. He may be a very good marketer, a nice guy and all that other jazz. The simple fact is he has been a major part of the losing culture that has persisted for the last 15 years. The last time a team had a playoff drought that lasted this long was in the mid 80's. The last decade and a 1/2 has been historically bad. I will be worried that Pegula is too nice if he doesn't drop the hammer on Brandon. I really like Whaley but I would have no problem showing him the door as well.

More genius posts here about knowing exactly what role someone in the organization involved and how they are the reason for the team not being successful. Russ Brandon is far from the problem here and won't be let go unless he wants to go. No one here knows how much of a football knowledge the guy actually has, they just assume since he has a background in business he knows nothing while giving their opinions on the football side of things based off of their experience running their fantasy team and reading websites for "insider info"

He is also not or ever been the "face of the franchise", ask football fans outside of Buffalo who Russ Brandon is and I bet 99% of the response would be "who?"

You could call Fred Jackson the "face of the franchise", and he has been on the field through a lot of the bad, should he be run out of town too? At least he suits up and plays the game and is part of the wins and losses........

More genius posts here about knowing exactly what role someone in the organization involved and how they are the reason for the team not being successful. Russ Brandon is far from the problem here and won't be let go unless he wants to go. No one here knows how much of a football knowledge the guy actually has, they just assume since he has a background in business he knows nothing while giving their opinions on the football side of things based off of their experience running their fantasy team and reading websites for "insider info"

He is also not or ever been the "face of the franchise", ask football fans outside of Buffalo who Russ Brandon is and I bet 99% of the response would be "who?"

You could call Fred Jackson the "face of the franchise", and he has been on the field through a lot of the bad, should he be run out of town too? At least he suits up and plays the game and is part of the wins and losses........

So any post you don't agree with you feel the need to insult the poster by sarcastically calling his post "genius level"? Grow up dude. But that is besides the point.

People outside of Buffalo don't know who Russ Brandon is, so he is not the face of the franchise? He has been the one holding all the major press conferences over the last few years and the one pumping up his chest about how he and those under are going to turn this franchise around. We are not talking about players here. I think it is pretty obvious the players aren't the ones who make free agent and draft decisions, just like they don't hire the head coaches and general managers. Your Fred Jackson point is just ridiculous.

How about Nix, Whaley and Marrone? They are all great too right? Anyone who criticizes them must be making a "genius post". Everything they did was so wonderful and the Bills still missing the playoffs is just bad luck.

What I think is you are a giant homer. You have made up your mind that Brandon is great and the Bills can do no wrong.