St. Doug to Michigan?

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY? year 2 was an improvement in all but the QB playing behind center the past 3 months

Well, they are offering Harbaugh $8M a year. Marrone currently makes $3.5M. If Michigan offers him $6M it's an easy decision for him IMO. He would almost double his salary and take a more prestigious job.

Well, they are offering Harbaugh $8M a year. Marrone currently makes $3.5M. If Michigan offers him $6M it's an easy decision for him IMO. He would almost double his salary and take a more prestigious job.

Michigan job is not what it used to be Kirby...every job in the SEC just about better than that one. Students not showing up at games, cold weather, hard academics....plus every team on TV now, not like it was 25 years ago when you only saw 3 games a week and Michigam always seemed to be on

And i am not buying the Michigan job is more prestigious than any NFL job.

Edited by plenzmd1

Michigan job is not what it used to be Kirby...every job in the SEC just about better than that one. Students not showing up at games, cold weather, hard academics....plus every team on TV now, not like it was 25 years ago when you only saw 3 games a week and Michigam always seemed to be on

And i am not buying the Michigan job is more prestigious then any NFL job.

Now,

I disagree that it isn't more prestigious (and I love the Bills & hate Michigan). A big part of what makes those jobs is tradition & alumni money. Is ND any good? Texas? Those are still considered way better jobs than somewhere like Ole Miss even though Ole Miss would pound those teams (when healthy). Here is a list of the 10 best coaching jobs in football as of 2 years ago. http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8733842&src=desktop

While I agree that Michigan isn't what it used to be (and may never be). The job clearly still has appeal.

And i am not buying the Michigan job is more prestigious then any NFL job.

Now,

Depends on how you view prestige- NFL is certainly a higher level but a winning Michigan program fills a larger stadium, probably has a similar (if not larger) national base and gives him more control (something I think we can all agree he enjoys). And might pay him double.

Let Marrone and Hackett go. They have 0% to do with our record. It's all defense and personnel

Agreed. There is by far more talent on this roster than at anytime in the past 15 years.

Marrone's most critical decision was hiring Hackett and that has been an abysmal failure.

Let Marrone and Hackett go. They have 0% to do with our record. It's all defense and personnel

Right. Players don't need coaches. Brilliant observation, Knute Rockne. :doh:

Here's an idea. Let's fire all the coaches and use the extra money to trade for Cutler. Super Bowl, here we come.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I disagree that it isn't more prestigious (and I love the Bills & hate Michigan). A big part of what makes those jobs is tradition & alumni money. Is ND any good? Texas? Those are still considered way better jobs than somewhere like Ole Miss even though Ole Miss would pound those teams (when healthy). Here is a list of the 10 best coaching jobs in football as of 2 years ago. http://m.espn.go.com...842&src=desktop

While I agree that Michigan isn't what it used to be (and may never be). The job clearly still has appeal.

I agree has its appeal, but just seems to me not as big as it once was. I may be wrong, but think ND even has fallen a bit for younger guys. Same deal as Michigan...hard academics, cold weather, etc. Again, not saying its a bad job, but for instance 20 years ago Miles jumping at the chance to go from LSU to Michigan....never happen now.

Depends on how you view prestige- NFL is certainly a higher level but a winning Michigan program fills a larger stadium, probably has a similar (if not larger) national base and gives him more control (something I think we can all agree he enjoys). And might pay him double.

Now that we can all agree on :thumbsup:

I agree has its appeal, but just seems to me not as big as it once was. I may be wrong, but think ND even has fallen a bit for younger guys. Same deal as Michigan...hard academics, cold weather, etc. Again, not saying its a bad job, but for instance 20 years ago Miles jumping at the chance to go from LSU to Michigan....never happen now.

Now that we can all agree on :thumbsup:

I definitely agree that their program isn't what it used to be. They have the alumni money to bounce back (at least somewhat). The population shift hurts those schools but OSU has been able to recruit the southeast and Texas. The right coach may be able to do the same for Michigan (but they better get it right this time). They were stupid to get rid of Rich Rod.

I could see them easily being at a level like Wisconsin has been for the last decade. I wouldn't be surprised if they were back competing for the Rose Bowl & the occasional playoff spot. They can be a fringe top 10-15 team perenially.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Marrone deserves some respect around here. Don't understand Buffalo fans and media.

as fans we don't understand how to react to a winner, so we do what we always do. After so many seasons of looking to the draft in October many of our brains are trained that way. Like our reaction to oh no we don't have our first round pick !! Our selections just keeping it in the 2000's CJ Spiller, Eric Wood, Maybin, McKelvin, McCargo,Whitner, Erik Flowers, JP, McGahee, Mike Williams....and this year I don't get to add to it !!???

we will learn because were gonna be forced to ..Marrone knows what he's doing and how to build a winner (even minus an actual qb)

And i am not buying the Michigan job is more prestigious than any NFL job.

Michigan isn't a more prestigious job than Oakland or Jacksonville or Tampa... or dare I say Buffalo? Sorry but with the amount of publicity that NCAAF gets, the money flowing into Michigan (I saw they are among the top revenue generating athletic departments and one of the few that actually makes money!), and the storied history, that job outranks these bottom dwelling NFL gigs. NFL owners have zero patience (coaches being fired after one and two seasons) and being competitive is more about talent, and especially at the NFL level, having a god QB. In college, if you're a good recruiter at an excellent, big, historic program (like Michigan) and can coach em up, you're good for a long time. Plus, you can build a winner quickly because it's perpetual free agency with nothing to offer other than, what is it, 80 scholarships that the other colleges offer?

The days of the NFL being the pinnacle of coaching are over. College football is every bit as much a billion dollar enterprise as the NFL and as someone who rarely if ever watches it, I can name 5 college coaches at major, elite, prestigious programs and I honestly don't know the names of 5 NFL coaches...Oakland, Jacksonville, Houston, Detroit, Minnesota. And we played four of these teams!

If I were Marrone, and I was offer the Michigan job, even with a slight pay raise, I'd take it in one second. He'll get the time to rebuild, his approach to accountability and responsibly works in college, and I think he's a good (not great) coach/manager.

You would if you understand that the Bills have missed the playoffs going on 15 years. There absolutely should be no respect given for "the college try,"

That's funny. Doug Marrone has missed the playoffs exactly one time as a head coach in the NFL. I'm sure the list of hall of fame coaches that missed the playoffs their first year is long and distinguisged.

Marrone deserves some respect around here. Don't understand Buffalo fans and media.

Even if you're going to give Marrone credit for the defense because the head coach has his hands in all aspects of the team (I don't) and you're gonna say the offensive futility is more a function of bad qb play than a bad system/bad play calling, how can you defend the botched fourth down calls and clock management every single week?

Even if you're going to give Marrone credit for the defense because the head coach has his hands in all aspects of the team (I don't) and you're gonna say the offensive futility is more a function of bad qb play than a bad system/bad play calling, how can you defend the botched fourth down calls and clock management every single week?

Maybe it's the players on offense? I recall people demanding Marrone fire the ST coach last season. A year later our ST is much better. The difference? The players. Maybe that's why it takes 3 years to turn a team around?

That's funny. Doug Marrone has missed the playoffs exactly one time as a head coach in the NFL. I'm sure the list of hall of fame coaches that missed the playoffs their first year is long and distinguisged.

True. BUT as a franchise, there is no margin for error. Can't give him 5 years to find out it has been a failure. Then we are going on 20.

Want us to turn into the Chicago Cubs?

True. BUT as a franchise, there is no margin for error. Can't give him 5 years to find out it has been a failure. Then we are going on 20.

Want us to turn into the Chicago Cubs?

Who is asking for 5? How about more than 1.75 when we're on our most winning season in 10 years?

Maybe it's the players on offense? I recall people demanding Marrone fire the ST coach last season. A year later our ST is much better. The difference? The players. Maybe that's why it takes 3 years to turn a team around?

4th down calls? Clock management? Those are things that are definitely the head coach's decision and it's a mathematical fact that he is terrible at them. We also know that he came in as an offensive minded coach and our offense is terrible, that is a statistical fact. Maybe he is doing some great things behind the scenes, but that's all speculative.