GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$117.797 is not to shabby.

Folks need to remember that this need will be ongoing, and that help from the NFL, and sadly the Bills organization, will be late to arrive, if ever,

Once your cash donation is made, please put pressure on the appropriate parties.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I'm going to respond to this thread one time and I'm only going to do it because I've been a member here for a long time and I have tremendous respect for the guy that started and runs it and the people that post here.

I've been knee-deep in this for the past 36 hours and I've heard or read every argument that has been made pro or con. I respect everyone's opinion on whether they should donate or not and wish everyone else felt the same way.

One thing that I would like to make clear is that Darryl Talley doesn't deserve anyone's harsh words because of this fund. I did something that I never do in life, I made a quick decision to launch something and I put it out into the world. Darryl didn't ask for any monies and last night I had a very emotional conversation with his wife about how torn they are: One one hand they are overwhelmed by the love sent their way and on the other they just don't know how they can accept such a generous outpouring that they didn't ask for.

If what has happened causes anyone the need to lash out with words they can send them my way. It's my impetus and it's my burden to bear, the Talleys are innocent of blame.

With that said, the kind words and love have outweighed that 100 to 1. The Bills were the top story on ESPN today and they didn't even play a game. It had nothing to do with murders, drug busts or any other scandal. It was all about the unprecedented donations being sent in from all over America by people united in their love of one man and his family.

Despite the fund reaching its goal and the man it is intended for saying that he can't see how he can accept it, it just keeps rolling on. If you can't find some beauty and solace in that notion, I hope some day you will.

To the OP, Tipster, thank you for your good intentions. To the rest of you I ask a favor, however you may feel about the merits of donating to Darryl, please put it aside for now. On Sundays we have the rest of the NFL to fight and on the other days of the week it often seems it's us against the rest of the nation.

Let's not fight amongst each other when the subject is one of our own.

regardless if I agree with it or not, I do find great kindness out of people willing to donate and I respect that no matter what.

Well said in your post.

That is all.

Edit: I'm also sorry for high jacking the thread.

Edited by mrags

We can all find ourselves in a dark place. It does not require 'fault', or conscious decisions. For many it is a pattern of depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive personality... There are thousands of diagnoses's but there is only one proven cure: talking about your problems with other people, usually a therapist or trained psychologist. Other times all it takes is a good friend who can listen.

Sometimes it is impossible for people to see that there is help right in front of them because they are blinded by their own personal demons. Let us all hope that this will reach a person who is in need and will hopefully let him know that people care for him and are willing and able to help. The money only says 'we care about your life'. You have so much more to still give, Mr. Darryl Talley. Billieve that your best memories are ahead of you.

I'm going to respond to this thread one time and I'm only going to do it because I've been a member here for a long time and I have tremendous respect for the guy that started and runs it and the people that post here.

I've been knee-deep in this for the past 36 hours and I've heard or read every argument that has been made pro or con. I respect everyone's opinion on whether they should donate or not and wish everyone else felt the same way.

One thing that I would like to make clear is that Darryl Talley doesn't deserve anyone's harsh words because of this fund. I did something that I never do in life, I made a quick decision to launch something and I put it out into the world. Darryl didn't ask for any monies and last night I had a very emotional conversation with his wife about how torn they are: One one hand they are overwhelmed by the love sent their way and on the other they just don't know how they can accept such a generous outpouring that they didn't ask for.

If what has happened causes anyone the need to lash out with words they can send them my way. It's my impetus and it's my burden to bear, the Talleys are innocent of blame.

With that said, the kind words and love have outweighed that 100 to 1. The Bills were the top story on ESPN today and they didn't even play a game. It had nothing to do with murders, drug busts or any other scandal. It was all about the unprecedented donations being sent in from all over America by people united in their love of one man and his family.

Despite the fund reaching its goal and the man it is intended for saying that he can't see how he can accept it, it just keeps rolling on. If you can't find some beauty and solace in that notion, I hope some day you will.

To the OP, Tipster, thank you for your good intentions. To the rest of you I ask a favor, however you may feel about the merits of donating to Darryl, please put it aside for now. On Sundays we have the rest of the NFL to fight and on the other days of the week it often seems it's us against the rest of the nation.

Wow, how eloquently stated is this response??! VERY! Darryl Talley is my favorite player, always has been, always will be by a landslide. Not because he played football but because of the way he played football, the way he cared about this franchise, community and fanbase. The Talleys aren't asking for a handout, Darryl simply just spoke out about the NFL is dealing with former players and it's lacking severely.

Through football I discovered a man that I admire. Darryl is a stand up guy and someone I look up to. The qualities that I see in him is qualities that I believe in. Is he a saint? No, I'm sure he's not but I'm not judging him, I have no right.

As far as the money he made and should he be a recipient of cash donations? Well, that's for each of us to decide but I don't care about how much money he made, I care about him. The man is struggling, he's struggling mentally and that is the tragic part of this whole thing and it's a direct result of playing football. Him and many other former players deserve to be provided better for mentally, psychologically and financially and the NFL is stepping in the right direction but still lacking dramatically.

I'm proud of this fanbase, I don't off of this. The people of WNY are passionate, genuine loyal people who have their priorities intact as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want to contribute I respect that, that's your priority but being humane and compassionate to an individual is admirable. Money was never an issue with either the Talleys or the contributors, it was genuinely heartfelt and that touches me deeply so yes I'm very proud of this fan base but maybe I should have been more politically correct and just have said the people of WNY. Bottom line is that this isn't really about the Talleys, football or the Buffalo Bills. It's about the kind of people who reside in the region I come from. If I had to pick an individual person who represents what I'm speaking of, do you know who that would be? It would be YOU! With all the things going on in this fundraiser, the pros and cons, I'm afraid that this genuine, compassionate act that you initiated has gotten lost in the shuffle. You sir are the kind of person that puts a name or a face to the type of people that this great traditional region bears and I thank you for it. God Bless you!

My priorities are just fine. Those affected by my situation rather I do this than buy lattes and HBO. I do hope that you never need it, but should you come upon circumstances that spiral out of your control that you are treated with compassion and understanding by folks who maybe feel their priorities include compassion and understanding. I respect your decision to not donate, but I try not to judge your priorities.

You did the right thing, my friend. I gave many years ago when I was unemployed. God will pay you back. He did me.

I know there is a separate thread about Darryl's sad situation, but I hope the mods find this worthy of it's own entry.

I have set up a Go Fund Me campaign to help Darryl pay his bills and get the help he needs. Please consider donating what you can.

If any one of us was in need Darryl would be the first Bill rushing to our aid.

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

First thanks Chevy for doing this. Darryl was always a favorite. Second I have been out of the loop for the past week and did know about any of this going on. when I started to go through the pages of this post today it broke my heart. For those of you who have been around since way back , you know that BadDad has two stinky little kids. well those two are men now and when I texted them this afternoon to tell them the story, they had both donated in the first 1,000 dollars on Thursday. My brother and I will donate tomorrow God bless Darryl and his family and go Bills.

I think that the effort you ignited is outstanding and you're to be commended for acting and inspiring the fanbase to act in such a compassionate way. Well done... VERY well done!!

I've seen articles now on this story on ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports and a number of other major football sites. However, it hasn't received ANY mention on NFL.com, the NFL Network or the Buffalo Bills website. I think now that the fans has spoken, acted and provided some short-term relief, for this effort to ultimately be successful the pressure needs to turn to the Bills and the NFL as Talley is far from the only player in this situation.

To me this is one of the first tests of the Pegulas' ownership of the team and whether there's more to it than just keeping the Bills in WNY. I'd like to see them step up and address this issue. I would also like to see reporters (and fans) begin to routinely and repeatedly ask coaches, active players and GMs about it at press conferences, radio shows and other call-in shows and force the issue and not let them give some talking point response to dismiss it or kick it up the management chain. Everyone with a microphone in front of them should be PUSHED to talk about it as one day in the future this could be Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams or Boobie Dixon the fan favorites of today who give their all on every play and work through injuries to get it done on Sundays....

The money that was raised will be consumed at some point and if the larger solution doesn't come from the team and league, it will all be for naught. I wouldn't want to see that something tragic happened a few years from now because nothing came of this beyond some short-term relief.

Edited by cage

Scanning through the donors, I notice there are lots of fans of other teams...Cowboys, Lions, etc. How about Janice Torbet, who gave $100:

"From the Raider Nation, to one of the Bills who whopped us so badly in the Jan. 20, 1991 AFC title game."

Or Paul Richardson, who also gave $100:

"As an Oiler fan I hated the Bills, for obvious reasons, but I respected the hell out of every player. Especially the heart and soul of their defense. Good luck Darryl, don't give up!"

I also see a lot of comments from folks who don't remember, or were too young to have watched Talley, on how the NFL needs to step up and do more. If nothing else, this is raising some badly needed awareness like few other stories have. Maybe because there's still hope for intervention and not a suicide, after the fact.

Some notable donors (real or not):

Takeo Spikes $500

London Fletcher 1000

Peter King 250

Ryan Miller 100

Mike Williams?? 100 :lol:

And many anonymous $500 & $1000 donors. Got to be quite a few current and former players in that bunch!

I know there is a separate thread about Darryl's sad situation, but I hope the mods find this worthy of it's own entry.

I have set up a Go Fund Me campaign to help Darryl pay his bills and get the help he needs. Please consider donating what you can.

If any one of us was in need Darryl would be the first Bill rushing to our aid.

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

This is a Good Thing you've done, ChevyVan. In the Superbowl years, Darryl Talley was always my favorite Bill.

If I could reach Darryl and Janine, I have one thing I'd like to say:

Take the money. Because it isn't just about you.

It's about medical problems from playing the game we love, that weren't known while you were playing, impacting body and mind.

It's about hundreds or thousands of former NFL players, each in a Pain Cave of their own, trying to figure out what's happening and what to do - what works, what doesn't, what's best.

It's about the families of all those players, facing the same struggles.

It's about the league being reactive, doing something when pressed but not enough.

It's about Buffalo fans who would die a little bit themselves if they ever opened a paper and read about Darryl Talley doing what Junior Seau felt he had to do.

So take the money, but take it as a chance. Use it to get yourself straight as you can with medical and alternative treatment. Start with whatever it takes to get a sound night's sleep, because when you aren't sleeping right everything goes to sh** and when you are, everything looks better. Hire a different lawyer to see if your pension situation can be remedied, because the NFL is all about PR and this GoFundMe says you have PR behind you.

Then take the money and take it as a challenge. When you can, pay it forward by reaching out. As a former player, you have tons of cred. Use it to reach out to other players. Get guys talking. Talk about what works and what doesn't work. Build a database. Talk to families of former players about watchouts, what to look for when a guy may be going down that road. Build family support groups. And let it go from there, because it will. Because when you're up to your a** in alligators, it's hard to drain the swamp, and I think many former players are up to their a**. But if you take it with the same determination that made people love the way you play, maybe you have a chance to take on the swamp.

But first, take the money. Use it on your health, and fix whatever you can. Because if you do that, you'll be able to pay it forward in ways that are inconceivable now.

This is a Good Thing you've done, ChevyVan. In the Superbowl years, Darryl Talley was always my favorite Bill.

It's about medical problems from playing the game we love, that weren't known while you were playing, impacting body and mind.

It's about hundreds or thousands of former NFL players, each in a Pain Cave of their own, trying to figure out what's happening and what to do - what works, what doesn't, what's best.

It's about the league being reactive, doing something when pressed but not enough.

It's about Buffalo fans who would die a little bit themselves if they ever opened a paper and read about Darryl Talley doing what Junior Seau felt he had to do.

So take the money, but take it as a chance. Use it to get yourself straight as you can with medical and alternative treatment. Start with whatever it takes to get a sound night's sleep, because when you aren't sleeping right everything goes to sh** and when you are, everything looks better. Hire a different lawyer to see if your pension situation can be remedied, because the NFL is all about PR and this GoFundMe says you have PR behind you.

Then take the money and take it as a challenge. When you can, pay it forward by reaching out. As a former player, you have tons of cred. Use it to reach out to other players. Get guys talking. Talk about what works and what doesn't work. Build a database. Talk to families of former players about watchouts, what to look for when a guy may be going down that road. Build family support groups. And let it go from there, because it will. Because when you're up to your a** in alligators, it's hard to drain the swamp, and I think many former players are up to their a**. But if you take it with the same determination that made people love the way you play, maybe you have a chance to take on the swamp.

But first, take the money. Use it on your health, and fix whatever you can. Because if you do that, you'll be able to pay it forward in ways that are inconceivable now.

Some excellent and insightful thoughts in this post!

Chevyvanmiller: my hat is off to you sir.

Can't wait to see Jimbo in that Talley jersey. The stadium is going to be in Berserker mode today.

I donated. I can understand the reaction of some people that say he squandered millions,maybe so. He is one of my favorite Bills ever! Idonated not for the money but to be counted as one of the Many people who appreciated what he did for the Bills. I was at the Brick Bar playing pool with one of my friends in 1983. This dude walks in and I say to my friend " that's the third round pick Talley, he was by himself ,we asked him to play pool andhavea beer with us, he was really col. He was the heart andsoul of that team,the only guy who would andcould slap bruce down! The bullheaded toughness he showed in the field probably led to his business problems. I cried when I read the story, I have lots of Bills cards, posters etc... I have a shelf behind my desk and there is only one card on it Darryl Talleys... Gahh bless...

Edited by Fredo G.

This thread has brought out the best from Bills fans. And the worst.

For the former, thanks ChevyVanMiller. For the latter, thanks mrags.

I don't want to destroy this thread again. I will leave you with this.

I have already spoken with ChevyVanMiller personally about this so you don't have to fight anyone else's battles for them. But if you feel the desire to confront me about it, we can do it in private.

Best post in years...

Thats a hell of a post Hopeful ! Well done Sir !!

seeing Kelly in a 56 jersey was a beautiful thing,,,,

your a douche :devil:

I don't want to destroy this thread again. I will leave you with this.

I have already spoken with ChevyVanMiller personally about this so you don't have to fight anyone else's battles for them. But if you feel the desire to confront me about it, we can do it in private.

I feel better now. can we move on.

Over here we have the tiger cage..

and then over here we have the Elephants.

Little known fact bout Elephants is, they can fly. not all of them can of course

No one has seen them actually do this but , some hard scientific evidence is coming to light recently that some of them can actually hover. and then float a bit .

just sayin

Edited by 3rdand12

Had a great talk with Janine this morning as I was driving in to the Ralph. There will be an announcement soon and I can't spoil the surprise, but it's good news. The stadium was awesome today with love for Darryl and with what you all have done with the GoFundMe campaign.

I had a great time hanging out with Hammered and what I witnesssed up close with the ketchup and mustard ritual will haunt my dreams forever, :) The burning of the Whitner jersey in effigy was as cool as it gets.

Here is the quote that Janine sent me to post as an update:

A message from Janine Talley:

"Our hearts have been touched by the incomprehensible kindness of people throughout the country, Through tears of joy, every single comment has been read and they have been a source of great comfort.

Darryl's purpose is to bring awareness to the fact that there are many former NFL players who suffer similar circumstances.

Frank Croisdale's idea has ignited a movement that was inspired by the brilliant story-telling of Tim Graham."

Things like this thread make sites like twobillsdrive worth spending time on. It's pretty heartening to see a community show support for one it its own.

For the life of me I don't understand the trolls who pop up on this thread and the gofundme page just to rip on people doing something for someone else.