So how would you like having a Ford Field in downtown Buffalo?

PromoTheRobot

The Batavia Dome makes a lot of sense. Great for Bills games and it can be used year round for major concerts and pull from both Buffalo and Rochester (kind of like Darien Lake does for summer concerts).

no market for "major concerts". Thats why acts do not come to WNY for a very long time. The stones, and any younger mega acts avoid Buffalo like the plague. They have to, it's a profit driven business. They go to Toronto, other big acts play toronto or other rust belt city's not named Detroit. And, For the cndert goer the experience is even nicer up there.

The claim that domed stadium would bring in these events is simply not true. They won't come to the ralph now because there is no money to be had. These are multi million dollar productions, they do not discount for areas with horrid economy's. Who would drive to Batavia for a major show? In a dome seating 60K? Who would book a major show in Bativa? Why would the Bills play in Batavia? it's not like Buffalo is built out. How many hotels in Batavia? Not many.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like domes for football... I like that it's played in just about whatever weather is happening. It makes the game more interesting.

That being said, if they want to use the stadium for anything other than football, it needs to be a dome, or retractable. And we all know, if it's retractable, it's going to be closed during bad/cold weather.

When open, the retractable roof stadiums provide strange shadows and half dark/half lighted fields.

I don't know if that makes it harder to play, but it seems like it would... having your eyes adjust during a 3 second go route and having the ball move out of the sun and into the shadow would be tough imo.

Im kind of split, but lean toward open. Would like something similar to Seattle. Real grass. Get it out of the Southtowns though.

Games in domes lack character for me. They are all miscellaneous and the same. With all the memorable outdoor games for the Bills, the weather becomes a large character in the story.

However, by the time this would theoretically get built, I will be in my mid 40s, and my friends and I would maybe rather spend our gamedays calmy grabbing a brunch and some beers in a downtown pub... walking to the game, being comfortable, and leaving in a timely fashion. It would also lend to me bringing my kid(s) who would theoretically be about 10-12.

So a downtown roofed facility, I hope constructed and designed tops aesthetically, with a distinct unique flavor where a Broncos fan sees a quick highlight and immediately knows its from Buffalo... and also to maximize noise levels.

As far as Ford Field goes... I dont know, never been there, but on television it always appears so dark and boring.

Super Bowls are laughable at this point either way. Maybe, just maybe with a new roofed structure, and Buffalo continues a strong rebound, and Pegula swings a lot of money and political clout to make it so, we can land 1 in a 1-shot-deal. It would take a lot of "Pegula Dust" as someone calls it.

no market for "major concerts". Thats why acts do not come to WNY for a very long time. The stones, and any younger mega acts avoid Buffalo like the plague. They have to, it's a profit driven business. They go to Toronto, other big acts play toronto or other rust belt city's not named Detroit. And, For the cndert goer the experience is even nicer up there.

The claim that domed stadium would bring in these events is simply not true. They won't come to the ralph now because there is no money to be had. These are multi million dollar productions, they do not discount for areas with horrid economy's. Who would drive to Batavia for a major show? In a dome seating 60K? Who would book a major show in Bativa? Why would the Bills play in Batavia? it's not like Buffalo is built out. How many hotels in Batavia? Not many.

I have suspected for awhile that a permanent brick and mortar amphitheater by the waterfront will be a reality in the next 5 years or so.

I don't like domes for football... I like that it's played in just about whatever weather is happening. It makes the game more interesting.

That being said, if they want to use the stadium for anything other than football, it needs to be a dome, or retractable. And we all know, if it's retractable, it's going to be closed during bad/cold weather.

to make the most sense for Buffalo it needs to be a dome, it has to be a multi-use facility. Not something that only gets used 10 days a year.

Reviews of ford field seem to be overwhelmingly positive

I saw jeremy white tweet today that he has heard pegula has his heart set on an open air stadium.

No idea the validity of the statement but it was the first I've heard of anything of the sort

He already has one!

I've always liked the idea of the open air stadium and playing in the elements. But as I get older, I realize that the smarter move is to have a dome. This opens up the potential client base to older, more affluent fans who choose not to go sit outside. If we had a dome, I think it would increase the number of families at the game and reduce the numbers of drunken idiots. Like many others, I too would prefer a retractable dome so it could be open during the early season and nicer weather games.

Retractable roof = dome. How often do you see teams with retractable roof actually play with it open? Very rarely.

This.

Retractable roof stadiums are only open on perfect days. People need to get over that fantasy. The question is simply dome or no dome. Pittsburgh offers the best example of brand new open-air NFL stadium; Ford and Lucas offer ideas of the indoor type.

It will be an open stadium. As a businessman, Pegula doesn't see the added benefit of a dome that would offset the cost.

There will be no schedule of non Bills events that would pay for the extra 4-500 million(plus interest) over time that the dome would add to the cost.

AT&T Stadium

ATT is your success story WOW! Cost in 2014 Dollars – 1.43 Billion. Talk about setting the bar low. First 6 months of next year. Remember it is the deep south and it is warm in the winter, so they are a good destination that time of year since they have a weather advantage in the winter.January 2015 Booked 2 days February 2015 Booked 2 days March 2015 Booked 2 days April 2015 Non Local Events booked - one day May 2015 0 events June 2015 0 events

Edited by simpleman

It will be an open stadium. As a businessman, Pegula doesn't see the added benefit of a dome that would offset the cost.

There will be no schedule of non Bills events that would pay for the extra 4-500 million(plus interest) over time that the dome would add to the cost.

Yes there is

Concerts, Conventions, NCAA tournaments, College bowl game possibly.

You can do it. Just involves outside the box thinking.