Global warming err Climate change HOAX

I think it goes to a Vote. After all this IS PPP. Vote for is le muppe' a sex kitten or a sex bore. 

lol

Edited by muppy
  • Shocked 1

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Cast:

@Irv as the irrepressible climate change denier who's signature phrase "What a hot mess!" is sure to resonate with audiences old and young;

@ComradeKayAdams as the passionately verbose climate warrior with a gritty can-do attitude and an abiding affection for Greta Thornberg, known only in the movie as "She who steals joy from the world";

@Tiberius as the object of Kay's affection, a tall homely lad with a crooked smile, lazy eye, and a man who knows so little about so much;

@muppy as "The Lady in the Black Dress", intrepid journalist international swimsuit model posing as a hostess at the hottest vegan restaurant/house of ill repute in Paris;

@The Frankish Reich as chief climate litigator on a path to save the planet, a long-winded yet genteel country lawyer producing enough carbon dioxide to kill three small villages in the Amazon every other day 

@B-Man man at bar;

@leh-nerd skin-erd, your faithful narrator

Well played. I would have felt insulted but the "genteel" made it all better.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You're as genteel as a ma'fa, Frank.  I'd never take that from you--and remember, artistic license prevails here.  

Somewhere way back in the double digits of these pages you'll find my long-winded, carbon dioxide-emitting (but only when read allowed) but nevertheless genteel take on climate change and the impact of carbon emissions. You'll find it remarkably open-minded and balanced but still somehow unconvincing to this audience.

Hey, just ask and I'll recreate it for you! (that's o.k., I'll wait)

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Somewhere way back in the double digits of these pages you'll find my long-winded, carbon dioxide-emitting (but only when read allowed) but nevertheless genteel take on climate change and the impact of carbon emissions. You'll find it remarkably open-minded and balanced but still somehow unconvincing to this audience.

Hey, just ask and I'll recreate it for you! (that's o.k., I'll wait)

I'd be ok with that. 

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Cast:

@Irv as the irrepressible climate change denier who's signature phrase "What a hot mess!" is sure to resonate with audiences old and young;

@ComradeKayAdams as the passionately verbose climate warrior with a gritty can-do attitude and an abiding affection for Greta Thornberg, known only in the movie as "She who steals joy from the world";

@Tiberius as the object of Kay's affection, a tall homely lad with a crooked smile, lazy eye, and a man who knows so little about so much;

@muppy as "The Lady in the Black Dress", intrepid journalist international swimsuit model posing as a hostess at the hottest vegan restaurant/house of ill repute in Paris;

@The Frankish Reich as chief climate litigator on a path to save the planet, a long-winded yet genteel country lawyer producing enough carbon dioxide to kill three small villages in the Amazon every other day 

@B-Man man at bar;

Ass! I am tall, but not homely at all. No lazy eye, and an intelligent reasonably informed person.

Hope all is well with you Lenard

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ass! I am tall, but not homely at all. No lazy eye, and an intelligent reasonably informed person.

Hope all is well with you Lenard

I don't make the rules, Tibs.  They say you're homely, you're homely.  The eye tilts, it tilts.  Perhaps you and @muppy can split a Mountain Dew and commiserate over artistic direction.  I must push on! 

image.png.51fe0148d11958197072b61162d5458a.png

I am well, thank you, and I hope you are as well.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Cast:

@B-Man man at bar;

I'll be the critic: "It sucked."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I’m putting in the research. 

IMG_3412.jpeg.de4987af519606c314c5a07c858aa26d.jpeg

Don’t let nobody tell you that STEM ain’t for guys like us! 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'll be the critic: "It sucked."

I originally had you as:

@Doc man with sandwich board sign reading “If Climate Change is real then why am I so cool?” 

You got written out in the last draft.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Angry 1

I am paging la senorita amiga comrade kay to the chat. I bet SHE won't diss my classy exotic Sexy albeit demure sleeveless Black fringe dress.

The word on the street is Vintage Means not only old.But EXPENSIVE. Le Muppe' is no cheap floozie type. My job defines me NOT. so there  Leo

@ComradeKayAdams 

on a serious note I am obsessed with this dress. She is a HOT TAMALE. red heart sparkle earrings and black fringe, great legs. SO TALENTED I LOVE HER

I've been back to read this thread already like 3 times LMAO

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't make the rules, Tibs.  They say you're homely, you're homely.  The eye tilts, it tilts.  Perhaps you and @muppy can split a Mountain Dew and commiserate over artistic direction.  I must push on! 

image.png.51fe0148d11958197072b61162d5458a.png

I am well, thank you, and I hope you are as well.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder though would you agree amigo?  Marty Feldman what a comedic treasure That guy was. ICONIC as heck If he were alive I'd invite he AND @Tiberius for a nice happy hour beer and shoot the baloney. Mountain dew?  Too much caffeine. I need to learn you everything tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk

LMAO HE started it. 

😇

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, muppy said:

I am paging la senorita amiga comrade kay to the chat. I bet SHE won't diss my classy exotic Sexy albeit demure sleeveless Black fringe dress.

The word on the street is Vintage Means not only old.But EXPENSIVE. Le Muppe' is no cheap floozie type. My job defines me NOT. so there  Leo

@ComradeKayAdams 

on a serious note I am obsessed with this dress. She is a HOT TAMALE. red heart sparkle earrings and black fringe, great legs. SO TALENTED I LOVE HER

Comrade Kay likely will dismiss dialogue on the potato sack Ms Lennox is wearing (I was never really a fan of Eurythmics, btw, the music just seemed heavy to me), and speak to the huge impact the vinyl age of records had on the environment.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, ComradeKayAdams said:

Your data precision demands are nonsensical. We do lose temporal resolution and eventually all sense of WEATHER as we continue looking back in time, but we still have enough detail of the global CLIMATE to see all its pertinent trends. What happens is that many different sources of climate evidence (ice core air bubbles, tree rings, oceanic/terrestrial sediments, coral reefs, sea sponges, glacial isotope ratios, isotope ratios in flora/fauna/microorganism fossils, etc.) obtained from many different locations on the earth converge and overlap to tell approximately the same climate story. This data congruence is what gives climatologists their confidence. New data continues coming in and continues refining the records, but so far the holistic climate paradigm has yet to be even remotely perturbed…let alone overturned.

I still can’t tell from your posts if you properly understand the difference between weather and climate?? Think back to that scatterplot of temperature (vertical axis, in degrees Celsius) versus time (horizontal axis, in years). Each dot represents an annual global mean surface temperature (simply constructed like this: take one location, average its temperature over every day and night of every season in a year, do the same for many other evenly distributed locations across the earth, and then find the average of all these averages). Think of this dot as a global WEATHER average for each year.

So the dot-to-dot connecting lines represent the changing WEATHER, while the scatterplot’s nonlinear regression line fit is the changing CLIMATE. The maxes and mins of the weather oscillations can be severe and can be completely natural in origin (solar activity variation, wildfires, volcanoes, ocean current variation, etc.). We mostly care about the trajectory of the nonlinear regression line (representing earth’s input/output energy balance), which changes comparatively slower. Some of the pre-Industrial Revolution sources of climate evidence that I listed above can also provide seasonal weather data, but aside from interesting max/min results, it’s each of their climate regression lines we care most about because these are modeling the trapped energy from the sun. And as they say: if all these regression lines fit, you must not quit (climate science)!!

While we’re thinking graphically…think about another important scatterplot: carbon dioxide (vertical axis, in ppm…parts-per-million) versus time (horizontal axis, in years). Thanks to all those ice core air bubbles, we have really good data that goes back 750k+ years. We see nothing above 300 ppm in the entirety of the previous 750k years, ~280 ppm in 1750, then a crossing of 350 ppm in the late 1980’s, and a crossing of 420 ppm last year. So that’s a very sudden and steep incline in this plot to match the sudden and steep incline of the regression line in the aforementioned temperature plot.

When you overlay these data plots that can go back hundreds of thousands of years, you see temperature lagging slightly behind carbon dioxide emission in an apparent correlated relationship. Based on our knowledge of greenhouse gases (known since the mid-1800’s), it makes sense that this relationship is causal and behaviorally representative of a positive climate feedback loop. But if you have any different explanation of the most recent spikes in these plots, please let us know! L Ron, Tibsy, and I met in a dark smoke-filled room and decided to relax the standard of a peer-reviewed scientific research paper. Just give us ONE idea of what’s happening in these plots that is not an anthropogenic explanation. If you don’t have a persuasive theory of your own, then don’t blame us if we choose to stick with the scientific consensus.

You could have just said “you guys are stupid”. I’ve got some land on the barrier islands for sale…  not really, that would be stupid. 

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Comrade Kay likely will dismiss dialogue on the potato sack Ms Lennox is wearing (I was never really a fan of Eurythmics, btw, the music just seemed heavy to me), and speak to the huge impact the vinyl age of records had on the environment.  

Puffery 

• Sad 1

What the hell is going on here?? 

I'm going to buy a big black cowboy hat today at Stagecoach West in Irving, so I can wear it at work Monday while I walk through the hall handing out free apples

Why? Because life is so good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, muppy said:

@ComradeKayAdams 

BTW, that's the only part of the film I would have praised...

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Don’t let nobody tell you that STEM ain’t for guys like us! 

I originally had you as:

@Doc man with sandwich board sign reading “If Climate Change is real then why am I so cool?” 

You got written out in the last draft.  

Put Doc back in!! The fans demand it! 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

BTW, that's the only part of the film I would have praised...

attn senor Leo. let's tally the Vote.

le muppy in her "pictures don't do it justice" WOW dress  ONE

Leo's take on my dress                                                           zero

lol Thanks Doc!

red carpet worthy 100% #Perfection TCK 🖤 is for my gorgeous dress. haters gonna hate

😇

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, muppy said:

@ComradeKayAdams 

Sup, Mup?!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for hijacking this ridiculous thread and turning it into a substantive conversation on women’s fashion. Everything that needed to be said here on anthropogenic global warming has probably already been said. I am, sadly, quite familiar with the Martin Durkin/Tom Nelson film, “Climate: The Movie.” If anyone has genuine scientific questions specifically related to this terrible movie, I’ll be happy to discuss them. Otherwise…

<< Narrator: The collective readership sighs, bracing themselves for another obnoxiously long post… >>

Your black dress is fine, Muppy. Don’t let Leh-nerd fashion bully you. For one thing, most black dresses are essentially considered timeless. You can also accessorize it with knee-high boots or a crop top jacket, or you can alter the hemline or the tassels. But don’t be afraid of clothing considered “vintage.” Commie Kay Fashion Fun Fact: I have several uber-vintage dresses that have worked themselves into my semi-regular rotation. I’ve collected Edith Head Hollywood facsimiles that began as Halloween costumes, but now I leisurely wear them out to parks or to Brooklyn hipster house parties and they’re a major hit!

If you’re looking in general for a demure style that’s contemporary and classy, I can tell you that maxi dresses are very popular here in NYC (and presumably also in Paris…and Milan, London, etc.). If you want to go bold and contemporary, form-fitting bodycon is the way to go. And you can never go wrong with monochromatic or floral patterns, IMO. PM me for details if you’d like. I’m also curious about the differences between SoCal style trends and Northeast style trends. Even between Manhattan and Brooklyn (and definitely Buffalo!), they can vary considerably.

Let us now address The Fundamental Fashion Tao of Commie Kay:

1. Choose a style that’s uniquely YOU: fashion is supposed to be personal, self-descriptive, and artistic. Don’t get too caught up in the latest fads or the uber-competitive milieu that is Paris, the location of Leh-nerd’s film. Also, ignore any Leh-nerd-like misogynistic mocking or bro bromides. Go haute couture if you’d like, but not if it makes you feel internally unsettled (I personally find more fulfillment in the challenge of seeking out clothes that are both inexpensive and fashionable).

2. Accentuate your best attributes and divert from your flaws: Know your body shape, skin tone, and facial features. Having a close friend who is comfortable keeping it real with you is invaluable. If you have Brie Larson abs, dress like Brie Larson. But if you’re mortal…Commie Kay Fashion Cheat Code: skater dresses, patterned hosiery, and heels make a great combo regardless of body type. If you’re in Paris, though, I’d upgrade this to a hemline at least halfway up the thigh, ultra-sheer pantyhose, and 4+ inch heels…IF IT IS IMPERATIVE (despite my previous paragraph’s theme) that your cosmopolitan peers know you are a SARTORIAL SLAYER and that you are NOT. EFFING. AROUND. WITH. FASHION.

3. Stay mindful of what’s appropriate for the occasion: Leh-nerd is making you a hostess in his movie, but he also forward slashed “brothel” with “vegan restaurant.” The difference clearly matters. Further clarification from him is needed. In the meantime, as a hostess of some sort, I would say maybe go with a super cute blazer dress??

P.S. I, too, have a current fashion obsession: this Oscar de la Renta red floral bandage dress that Emily Blunt is modeling below! I think I shall wear this in Leh-nerd’s jejune right-wing propaganda movie. I suppose John Krasinski (bonus points: fellow Polish-American!) could fill in for Tiberius? Poor Tibsy’s crooked smile and lazy eye just won’t work on the silver screen. Gary Oldman (or Gary Busey?! Eek!) can play Irv. George Wendt will play B-Man. Bob Odenkirk will play The Frankish Reich. Sloth from The Goonies will play Leh-nerd, obviously.

EmilyBlunt-6.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Sup, Mup?!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for hijacking this ridiculous thread and turning it into a substantive conversation on women’s fashion. Everything that needed to be said here on anthropogenic global warming has probably already been said. I am, sadly, quite familiar with the Martin Durkin/Tom Nelson film, “Climate: The Movie.” If anyone has genuine scientific questions specifically related to this terrible movie, I’ll be happy to discuss them. Otherwise…

<< Narrator: The collective readership sighs, bracing themselves for another obnoxiously long post… >>

Your black dress is fine, Muppy. Don’t let Leh-nerd fashion bully you. For one thing, most black dresses are essentially considered timeless. You can also accessorize it with knee-high boots or a crop top jacket, or you can alter the hemline or the tassels. But don’t be afraid of clothing considered “vintage.” Commie Kay Fashion Fun Fact: I have several uber-vintage dresses that have worked themselves into my semi-regular rotation. I’ve collected Edith Head Hollywood facsimiles that began as Halloween costumes, but now I leisurely wear them out to parks or to Brooklyn hipster house parties and they’re a major hit!

If you’re looking in general for a demure style that’s contemporary and classy, I can tell you that maxi dresses are very popular here in NYC (and presumably also in Paris…and Milan, London, etc.). If you want to go bold and contemporary, form-fitting bodycon is the way to go. And you can never go wrong with monochromatic or floral patterns, IMO. PM me for details if you’d like. I’m also curious about the differences between SoCal style trends and Northeast style trends. Even between Manhattan and Brooklyn (and definitely Buffalo!), they can vary considerably.

1. Choose a style that’s uniquely YOU: fashion is supposed to be personal, self-descriptive, and artistic. Don’t get too caught up in the latest fads or the uber-competitive milieu that is Paris, the location of Leh-nerd’s film. Also, ignore any Leh-nerd-like misogynistic mocking or bro bromides. Go haute couture if you’d like, but not if it makes you feel internally unsettled (I personally find more fulfillment in the challenge of seeking out clothes that are both inexpensive and fashionable).

2. Accentuate your best attributes and divert from your flaws: Know your body shape, skin tone, and facial features. Having a close friend who is comfortable keeping it real with you is invaluable. If you have Brie Larson abs, dress like Brie Larson. But if you’re mortal…Commie Kay Fashion Cheat Code: skater dresses, patterned hosiery, and heels make a great combo regardless of body type. If you’re in Paris, though, I’d upgrade this to a hemline at least halfway up the thigh, ultra-sheer pantyhose, and 4+ inch heels…IF IT IS IMPERATIVE (despite my previous paragraph’s theme) that your cosmopolitan peers know you are a SARTORIAL SLAYER and that you are NOT. EFFING. AROUND. WITH. FASHION.

3. Stay mindful of what’s appropriate for the occasion: Leh-nerd is making you a hostess in his movie, but he also forward slashed “brothel” with “vegan restaurant.” The difference clearly matters. Further clarification from him is needed. In the meantime, as a hostess of some sort, I would say maybe go with a super cute blazer dress??

P.S. I, too, have a current fashion obsession: this Oscar de la Renta red floral bandage dress that Emily Blunt is modeling below! I think I shall wear this in Leh-nerd’s jejune right-wing propaganda movie. I suppose John Krasinski (bonus points: fellow Polish-American!) could fill in for Tiberius? Poor Tibsy’s crooked smile and lazy eye just won’t work on the silver screen. Gary Oldman (or Gary Busey?! Eek!) can play Irv. George Wendt will play B-Man. Bob Odenkirk will play The Frankish Reich. Sloth from The Goonies will play Leh-nerd, obviously.

EmilyBlunt-6.jpg

I didn't get past the first sentence and the LOVE Kay. You are beloved. by ME *mu-ah* a sister fashionista  I am here for it chica :-)))))

you go girl ♥️  my loquacious and smart AF Amiga. BRAVO!

Gorgeous red dress. Next year for the Academy awards we will do a "red carpet looks critique" My best Dressed 2024 was Cynthia Erivo in dark green leather sculptured with train. Total art piece forget fashion statement. great to read you. m

ccccccc.jpg

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Sup, Mup?!

EmilyBlunt-6.jpg

I only have a lazy eye and crooked smile in the movie, all acting! But my hair is pretty long. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, muppy said:

attn senor Leo. let's tally the Vote.

le muppy in her "pictures don't do it justice" WOW dress  ONE

Leo's take on my dress                                                           zero

lol Thanks Doc!

red carpet worthy 100% #Perfection TCK 🖤 is for my gorgeous dress. haters gonna hate

😇

Gonna need to see proof of this now.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Gonna need to see proof of this now.

no trust in the PPP forum NONE. My word is golden ask Kay or Leo LOL

l😇

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Funny how many of the states below are net importers of electricity.  I suspect that as demand increases with the transition to EV's, the importing states will be paying a premium for electricity.

8 states are planning to BAN the sale of gas-powered cars entirely - after Biden unveiled ambitious plans to phase them out by 2032

"According to personal finance site Money, California was the first state to adopt the Advanced Clean Cars II rule, which will put a complete ban to new sales of gas-powered cars by 2035. 

Rhode Island was the most recent state to join the list of states pledging to ban the sale of gas-powered cars, joining Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington.

According to the site, the District of Columbia has also made the commitment. "

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

AL GORE HARDEST HIT: 

‘There’s Been No Increase’: Scientists Debunk Climate Change Claims About Hurricanes.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/article/theres-been-no-increase-scientists-debunk-climate-change-claims-about-hurricanes-5608497

If true, I think Al is ultimately a victim here.  He's spent considerable time, money and effort to buy someone else's ability to pollute the planet on a massive scale, only to find it may have been for naught.  

#tragic

On 3/23/2024 at 6:26 PM, muppy said:

no trust in the PPP forum NONE. My word is golden ask Kay or Leo LOL

l😇

Muppy! Speaking of black dresses…quick fashion question for ya: honest thoughts on a black velvet maxi with torso cut-outs and a thigh slit?? I’m thinking about wearing one tomorrow night to a formal dinner and work-related speaker event with a bunch of fellow engineer types. It’s my go-to L.B.D. variant and among my most favorite selections in my entire wardrobe arsenal. The fashion goals here are confidence, functionality, class, and elegance.

It’s actually not too dissimilar from what EmRata is wearing in the Vogue pic below, which is like straight out of the Garment District. Key differences: one torso cut in the middle, a torso cut on each side, mostly backless, halter choker, side thigh slit, none of the silver ornaments in the front, also no Jimmy Choo heels lol….my dress is probably one-tenth the price of hers. The material is very heavy: a synthetic polymer-based (so no silk-based) velvet fabric that fits very tightly around the waist before collapsing straight down at the hips.

I have no idea how cold the restaurant and speaker hall will be, but I also have the option of a couple cropped black cardigans…off-the-shoulder or regular long-sleeved. Gracias! -Commie Kay

P.S. To those who don’t like me hijacking the global warming thread: just ask me specific questions on “Climate: The Movie.” I’ve already seen it. It’s total trash, and I’ll explain why. Hey, you know what’s not trash?? BLACK VELVET MAXI DRESSES.

EmilyRatajkowski-72.webp

On 3/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, ComradeKayAdams said:

Muppy! Speaking of black dresses…quick fashion question for ya: honest thoughts on a black velvet maxi with torso cut-outs and a thigh slit?? I’m thinking about wearing one tomorrow night to a formal dinner and work-related speaker event with a bunch of fellow engineer types. It’s my go-to L.B.D. variant and among my most favorite selections in my entire wardrobe arsenal. The fashion goals here are confidence, functionality, class, and elegance.

It’s actually not too dissimilar from what EmRata is wearing in the Vogue pic below, which is like straight out of the Garment District. Key differences: one torso cut in the middle, a torso cut on each side, mostly backless, halter choker, side thigh slit, none of the silver ornaments in the front, also no Jimmy Choo heels lol….my dress is probably one-tenth the price of hers. The material is very heavy: a synthetic polymer-based (so no silk-based) velvet fabric that fits very tightly around the waist before collapsing straight down at the hips.

I have no idea how cold the restaurant and speaker hall will be, but I also have the option of a couple cropped black cardigans…off-the-shoulder or regular long-sleeved. Gracias! -Commie Kay

P.S. To those who don’t like me hijacking the global warming thread: just ask me specific questions on “Climate: The Movie.” I’ve already seen it. It’s total trash, and I’ll explain why. Hey, you know what’s not trash?? BLACK VELVET MAXI DRESSES.

EmilyRatajkowski-72.webp

Kay! I've been busy with my gerber baby ggranddaughter lately. I hope you see this in time.

Let me just say this. Kay honey if you have  a dress similar to this JUST WEAR IT. I would definitely have a wrap of some  sort for warmth and dress it up. A black leather shrug? I love off the shoulder. I trust your judgment. GORGEOUS Amiga 🙂 I think that silhouette would be flattering for most women.

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:48 PM, muppy said:

Kay! I've been busy with my gerber baby ggranddaughter lately. I hope you see this in time.

Let me just say this. Kay honey if you have  a dress similar to this JUST WEAR IT. I would definitely have a wrap of some  sort for warmth and dress it up. A black leather shrug? I love off the shoulder. I trust your judgment. GORGEOUS Amiga 🙂 I think that silhouette would be flattering for most women.

I hope you had a happy Easter, Muppy, and I’m glad you were able to spend it with your new granddaughter!

The black velvet maxi turned out to be a little too risque for the speaker event LOLOL! In an auditorium with about 60-70 other chicas, my outfit was easily showing the most skin. I was so self-conscious about it that I ended up wearing my outdoor jacket for the entirety of the indoor event. But the auditorium was refrigerator-level cold, so it was no big deal. Live and learn!

On the bright side, I missed that Sabres game because of this speaker event…ugh…Lindy Ruff for coach??

Okay okay, time to return this thread to the proper subject at hand. I can sense the PPP denizens getting restless…see ya around, Muppy, both here and at BillsFans.com!

On 3/30/2024 at 3:30 PM, Roundybout said:

This is a very odd thread

Yes, indeed! It is quite odd, in the year 2024, to be having a debate on the scientific merit of anthropogenic climate change. And yet here we are…

So my brief review of “Climate: The Movie,” in outline form:

1. A barrage of scientific truths that were presented in non-sequitur form: climate is always changing, Earth’s atmosphere has had much higher levels of carbon dioxide during its history, Earth has had much warmer epochs throughout its history, Earth has experienced much greater climate temperature variations in its past, plants have a Brawndo-like craving for carbon dioxide, blah blah blah.

2. Examples of garbled scientific logic and cherry-picked data: the part on the temperature vs. carbon dioxide relationship was completely incoherent and included chicken/egg causality sleights of hand. The part on extreme weather events was consistently (and deliberately) unclear on the details of factors like geographical locations of inquiry, timeframes, number of events, and severity of events.

3. Examples of scientific lies by omission: the infamous urban heat island effect was presented, but the film neglected to mention that this well-known effect has already been quantified and universally accounted for in the climate data. The cosmic ray theory was cute, too: as solar magnetic field activity increases, more cosmic rays are deflected as they approach Earth, cloud formation (due to the ionizing effect from the cosmic rays in the atmosphere) decreases, less incoming solar energy is then reflected due to the decrease in cloud coverage, and so the planet surface warms. What the film conveniently didn’t mention is that none of the aforementioned (besides the warming planet) have been measured to have occurred at any appreciable extent over the past several decades! Moreover, this theory is undermined by observations of both comparatively greater nighttime warming as well as stratosphere cooling (FYI: this stratosphere cooling is essentially the smoking gun of anthropogenic warming causality…as opposed to a natural solar warming causal explanation…but of course that still won’t stop the right-wing skeptics…).

4. Social commentary on climate change: oh em gee…so much movie time was spent covering all possible groups of people who may stand to benefit from the climate change emergency. Ironically enough, there was no mention of the people who are funding the people funding this right-wing propaganda film.

5. Polemical libertarianism: fearmongering of Marxists, communists, socialists, big government, any critics of laissez-faire capitalism, etc…the movie clearly has a predetermined economics conclusion and works backward to make the scientific narrative fit. This Ayn Rand-inspired economics conclusion is that curmudgeonly misanthropes who hate the social contract and hate paying taxes don’t want to be held accountable for their negative externalities.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I hope you had a happy Easter, Muppy, and I’m glad you were able to spend it with your new granddaughter!

The black velvet maxi turned out to be a little too risque for the speaker event LOLOL! In an auditorium with about 60-70 other chicas, my outfit was easily showing the most skin. I was so self-conscious about it that I ended up wearing my outdoor jacket for the entirety of the indoor event. But the auditorium was refrigerator-level cold, so it was no big deal. Live and learn!

On the bright side, I missed that Sabres game because of this speaker event…ugh…Lindy Ruff for coach??

Okay okay, time to return this thread to the proper subject at hand. I can sense the PPP denizens getting restless…see ya around, Muppy, both here and at BillsFans.com!

Yes, indeed! It is quite odd, in the year 2024, to be having a debate on the scientific merit of anthropogenic climate change. And yet here we are…

1. A barrage of scientific truths that were presented in non-sequitur form: climate is always changing, Earth’s atmosphere has had much higher levels of carbon dioxide during its history, Earth has had much warmer epochs throughout its history, Earth has experienced much greater climate temperature variations in its past, plants have a Brawndo-like craving for carbon dioxide, blah blah blah.

2. Examples of garbled scientific logic and cherry-picked data: the part on the temperature vs. carbon dioxide relationship was completely incoherent and included chicken/egg causality sleights of hand. The part on extreme weather events was consistently (and deliberately) unclear on the details of factors like geographical locations of inquiry, timeframes, number of events, and severity of events.

3. Examples of scientific lies by omission: the infamous urban heat island effect was presented, but the film neglected to mention that this well-known effect has already been quantified and universally accounted for in the climate data. The cosmic ray theory was cute, too: as solar magnetic field activity increases, more cosmic rays are deflected as they approach Earth, cloud formation (due to the ionizing effect from the cosmic rays in the atmosphere) decreases, less incoming solar energy is then reflected due to the decrease in cloud coverage, and so the planet surface warms. What the film conveniently didn’t mention is that none of the aforementioned (besides the warming planet) have been measured to have occurred at any appreciable extent over the past several decades! Moreover, this theory is undermined by observations of both comparatively greater nighttime warming as well as stratosphere cooling (FYI: this stratosphere cooling is essentially the smoking gun of anthropogenic warming causality…as opposed to a natural solar warming causal explanation…but of course that still won’t stop the right-wing skeptics…).

4. Social commentary on climate change: oh em gee…so much movie time was spent covering all possible groups of people who may stand to benefit from the climate change emergency. Ironically enough, there was no mention of the people who are funding the people funding this right-wing propaganda film.

5. Polemical libertarianism: fearmongering of Marxists, communists, socialists, big government, any critics of laissez-faire capitalism, etc…the movie clearly has a predetermined economics conclusion and works backward to make the scientific narrative fit. This Ayn Rand-inspired economics conclusion is that curmudgeonly misanthropes who hate the social contract and hate paying taxes don’t want to be held accountable for their negative externalities.

I love your posts, I learn something everyone you post! Keep posting!!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

A problem with determining the temperature of the Earth is that at any point in time the actual temperature varies from point to point.  It can be -50 at the poles and 100 degrees at the equator at the exact same time. So what's the temperature of the Earth?

The temperature needs to be derived through employment of a method or process.  And unless you understand the method or process used, validate it, and use it consistently you can't conclude with any confidence the results are accurate or a true representation of what is actually happening.