Global warming err Climate change HOAX

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not a science man. I’m an educated man, though. What my education taught me was that the overwhelming majority of scientists state that global warming is manmade and bad. Now, if the experts are overwhelmingly convinced of something I’m gonna follow their lead and take the issue seriously. I really wish pollution wasn’t so politicized in America. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

I’m not a science man. I’m an educated man, though. What my education taught me was that the overwhelming majority of scientists state that global warming is manmade and bad. Now, if the experts are overwhelmingly convinced of something I’m gonna follow their lead and take the issue seriously. I really wish pollution wasn’t so politicized in America. 

I'm an educated man, and a "science man," and know of plenty of examples where "the overwhelming majority of scientists" were not only dead wrong, but ignored the evidence they were dead wrong "because there's consensus."  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm an educated man, and a "science man," and know of plenty of examples where "the overwhelming majority of scientists" were not only dead wrong, but ignored the evidence they were dead wrong "because there's consensus."  

I can prove that climate change is natural and has always been a thing. Ancient Mesopotamian settlements prove this. North Africa proves this. 

But ya know what I do understand when it comes to science? Simple things like the greenhouse effect. We don't freeze at night when the sun goes down because of the greenhouse effect, right? Again, I'm not a science man. So, if that's true and greenhouse gasses act as an insulator, how then will we not increase the temperature of the earth when we add to the greenhouse gasses? Again, I'm not a science man. But it seems simple to me. What am I missing?

They cannot properly measure the weather of the past, they are grossly wrong in short term predictions and it’s impossible to predict the future under any acceptable form of definition of science 

unless you just plow ahead and make it up and refuse to admit how precarious it all is

Predicting weather is worse than predicting stock prices, they both have systems that rely on a Jenga tower of assumptions. Of course they are never wrong because they told you about an assumption that didn’t pan out. It’s not pure science.

Edited by row_33

54 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I can prove that climate change is natural and has always been a thing. Ancient Mesopotamian settlements prove this. North Africa proves this. 

But ya know what I do understand when it comes to science? Simple things like the greenhouse effect. We don't freeze at night when the sun goes down because of the greenhouse effect, right? Again, I'm not a science man. So, if that's true and greenhouse gasses act as an insulator, how then will we not increase the temperature of the earth when we add to the greenhouse gasses? Again, I'm not a science man. But it seems simple to me. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that the quality of your theory is only as good as the accuracy of your tests of the theory...and the accuracy of the tests of global warming is questionable, because of issues with historical measurement, data management, and baselines. 

Science isn'y hypothesis, or consensus.  It's measurement.  

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

What you're missing is that the quality of your theory is only as good as the accuracy of your tests of the theory...and the accuracy of the tests of global warming is questionable, because of issues with historical measurement, data management, and baselines. 

Science isn'y hypothesis, or consensus.  It's measurement.  

Well, I'll say that I don't know enough to disagree with the overwhelming majority of scientists and so I side with them.

Just now, The_Dude said:

Well, I'll say that I don't know enough to disagree with the overwhelming majority of scientists and so I side with them.

That's fair.  

For that matter, I disagree with them on issues of process.  The broad strokes of the science are relatively sound...but an honest look raises serious questions about the accuracy of it, and the scientific method is badly warped by people conflating it with public policy (simplest example of that being that the IPCC is not a scientific body, but is a political body with the explicit mandate of being biased - it's in their charter.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

It's fair to say that the general population (and scientists) don't know enough about the climate to make concrete conclusions. It's okay to think that we need more, and better, data to study the problem. However, what makes the whole thing idiotic is creating laws based on predictive models that have repeatedly been proven wrong. 

It's like some dingbat said the sky was falling, ten people agreed with him, and now we're passing laws requiring everyone to carry umbrellas at all times or pay a fine; because it's a scientific fact that it rains.

It’s a politically driven situation and funding is  given when you find the “right conclusions”

since being wrong is never punished then why not say whatever the $$ supply is leaning on you to find

not to say that recycling and thinking about reducing energy waste in your life isn’t a good thing

15 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It's fair to say that the general population (and scientists) don't know enough about the climate to make concrete conclusions. It's okay to think that we need more, and better, data to study the problem. However, what makes the whole thing idiotic is creating laws based on predictive models that have repeatedly been proven wrong. 

It's like some dingbat said the sky was falling, ten people agreed with him, and now we're passing laws requiring everyone to carry umbrellas at all times or pay a fine; because it's a scientific fact that it rains.

So, I can nod my head to that. But here's my issue, I hear people use this to justify pollution. I hate pollution. 

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

So, I can nod my head to that. But here's my issue, I hear people use this to justify pollution. I hate pollution. 

Is your implication that there are people who like pollution?

9 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Where the hell is this happening? I don't know anyone who favors pollution. The attention given global warming has taken attention away from fighting pollution. Clean water and air is something we all should get behind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

When it benefits them financially, yeah. Look at fracking for example -- that's awful but it generates money so it's tolerated. 

That's not what I asked. Tolerate and like are two completely different things.