Doug Whaley joined L.A. Bills Backers to watch games this morning

Was lucky enough to watch the early games in LA with Doug Whaley this morning where we watch the games every Sunday. It was great. Thanks to AKC and Matt for setting it up. He didn't really say all that much that was controversial. We got to spend a few hours with him though. Had some wings and some drinks at 10 am. Was there with his wife and brother who were terrific, too.

First of all, what a great guy. Just as you would imagine. He just introduced himself to anyone who walked up to him as "Hi, I'm Doug." No pretension whatsoever. Really impressive guy.

He didn't say anything I was really surprised by. The most interesting thing was he said Orton at practice is yelling at the receivers, and told them if they weren't trying and open in practice he wasn't throwing to them in the game. And they all smartened up quick. That was great. Which led him to say that EJ tries to please everyone and is too nice, and any leader in any business has to be a dick sometimes, and EJ isn't at that point yet.

Other tidbits:

Loves Robert Woods, couldn't stop talking about him.

Thinks it will be hard to re-sign Spikes. Really wants to re-sign Hughes but has no idea how it will go. Agreed that if they look at it as paying the front seven instead of four, it can be rationalized.

Loves Aaron Williams and that was the reason they didn't try harder to re-sign Byrd.

Said Mike Williams trade thing really was all his agent but he's not happy he's not playing. He wouldn't bite when I challenged him about Williams, Watkins and Woods are better than Hogan. I couldn't read him on that. But we talked about him getting the four guys Watkins, Williams, Woods and Goodwin who all do different things well and it hasn't worked out that way. He also said that they didn't know they would be able to get Watkins when they got Williams so he went from being thought of as a #1 guy to kind of 2a.

Loves Preston Brown. That's why they won't overpay for Spikes, who will probably want a good contract and to play three downs.

Wants to upgrade TE but like everyone, knows they aren't a lot of good ones.

He does not particularly like New England or any of Massachusetts. Ha. That was pretty funny.

He loves living in Buffalo and said it's a known fact around the league that players hate coming to Buffalo and then hate leaving it.

Definitely building the Bills after the Steeler teams that he grew up with. Then said they couldn't take the next step until they got Big Ben.

He spends four to five days a week on the road scouting, he's visiting five different schools in five days this week. Talk about how college coaches will let him know when a player of theirs is trouble, without ever saying it. Mostly because they have to do the same thing with high school coaches about players they are recruiting.

He doesn't like Jameis Winston as the face of a franchise at all.

Loves Kiko obviously, who he says is healing fast.

Said when they were looking for a coach, him and Buddy and Overdorf and Russ got together and came up with an idea of what kind of guy they wanted, before they started talking about any specific guy. And they started with didn't want a retread, wanted a young guy who could be there 20 years, wanted someone out of the box, wanted a tough guy, and they liked Marrone because he fit every one of their criterion. Which would also explain them wanting Chip Kelly who also fit all of them.

Said the only time he was ever nervous at a game was visiting Oakland because he was scared walking through the parking lot. Ha.

He wanted the Dolphins to lose but understood both sides of the argument.

Great day and just a great guy. Perfect ambassador for the Bills. His brother watches the games with us on Sunday in LA. Nothing earth-shattering, and he was diplomatic as you'd expect when I asked him hard questions but he answered them well. Couldn't have been more impressed with him.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely building the Bills after the Steeler teams that he grew up with. Then said they couldn't take the next step until they got Big Ben.

Well EJ is not Big Ben nor will ever be. So we will be looking in round 2 for a Big ben?

Sorry to break this to you but he still really likes EJ. ;)

Was lucky enough to watch the early games in LA with Doug Whaley this morning where we watch the games every Sunday. It was great. Thanks to AKC and Matt for setting it up. He didn't really say all that much that was controversial. We got to spend a few hours with him though. Had some wings and some drinks at 10 am. Was there with his wife and brother who were terrific, too.

First of all, what a great guy. Just as you would imagine. He just introduced himself to anyone who walked up to him as "Hi, I'm Doug." No pretension whatsoever. Really impressive guy.

He didn't say anything I was really surprised by. The most interesting thing was he said Orton at practice is yelling at the receivers, and told them if they weren't trying and open in practice he wasn't throwing to them in the game. And they all smartened up quick. That was great. Which led him to say that EJ tries to please everyone and is too nice, and any leader in any business has to be a dick sometimes, and EJ isn't at that point yet.

Other tidbits:

Loves Robert Woods, couldn't stop talking about him.

Thinks it will be hard to re-sign Spikes. Really wants to re-sign Hughes but has no idea how it will go. Agreed that if they look at it as paying the front seven instead of four, it can be rationalized.

Loves Aaron Williams and that was the reason they didn't try harder to re-sign Byrd.

Said Mike Williams trade thing really was all his agent but he's not happy he's not playing. He wouldn't bite when I challenged him about Williams, Watkins and Woods are better than Hogan. I couldn't read him on that. But we talked about him getting the four guys Watkins, Williams, Woods and Goodwin who all do different things well and it hasn't worked out that way. He also said that they didn't know they would be able to get Watkins when they got Williams so he went from being thought of as a #1 guy to kind of 2a.

Loves Preston Brown. That's why they won't overpay for Spikes, who will probably want a good contract and to play three downs.

Wants to upgrade TE but like everyone, knows they aren't a lot of good ones.

He does not particularly like New England or any of Massachusetts. Ha. That was pretty funny.

He loves living in Buffalo and said it's a known fact around the league that players hate coming to Buffalo and then hate leaving it.

He spends four to five days a week on the road scouting, he's visiting five different schools in five days this week. Talk about how college coaches will let him know when a player of theirs is trouble, without ever saying it. Mostly because they have to do the same thing with high school coaches about players they are recruiting.

He doesn't like Jameis Winston as the face of a franchise at all.

Loves Kiko obviously, who he says is healing fast.

Said when they were looking for a coach, him and Buddy and Overdorf and Russ got together and came up with an idea of what kind of guy they wanted, before they started talking about any specific guy. And they started with didn't want a retread, wanted a young guy who could be there 20 years, wanted someone out of the box, wanted a tough guy, and they liked Marrone because he fit every one of their criterion. Which would also explain them wanting Chip Kelly who also fit all of them.

Said the only time he was ever nervous at a game was visiting Oakland because he was scared walking through the parking lot. Ha.

He wanted the Dolphins to lose but understood both sides of the argument.

Great day and just a great guy. Perfect ambassador for the Bills. His brother watches the games with us on Sunday in LA. Nothing earth-shattering, and he was diplomatic as you'd expect when I asked him hard questions but he answered them well. Couldn't have been more impressed with him.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and when TEs were brought up, he did say Ebron was going to be their pick unless something unforeseen happened if they didn't make the Watkins trade.

Wow! More insight. I thought that was punishable by death in the NFL. How much could it hurt to say we liked Ebron and would have taken him? I love the openess.

Did he say how Marrone, like Kelly, was an "out of the box" type HC?

Nope. He didn't expound on that. I think it was more about "not the usual suspects" type, but that is just how I read it.

Wow! More insight. I thought that was punishable by death in the NFL. How much could it hurt to say we liked Ebron and would have taken him? I love the openess.

Chris Brown had already let that cat out of the bag just after the draft. That they were going to take Ebron. So it wasn't new info.

Oh, because they could not be more different...

For the most part I agree, at least as far as being an innovator goes. But they were known as tough asses, prickly, both were college guys, both have a big ego, both are offensive guys. I don't think he was talking about being an innovator like Kelly is.

So was he really out there scouting for stadium sites?

(Just kidding.)

His brother lives here. He comes out a couple times a year. He came to scout the UCLA Arizona game on Saturday and do family stuff. His parents live in Phoenix and I think he went there, too.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yep.

Then he said it's just a fact of life these days that it's really easy to get a rep, and once it is out there really hard to live it down. But he sounded to me like Winston was trouble, and that it does matter.

FSU asked EJ to be Winston's mentor. He may have some additional insight from that relationship as well.

Re Aaron Williams, I started a thread on here last year saying that I think the Bills should just give Williams the deal they would have given Byrd-- which is what the steelers did with Antonio brown (giving him Wallace's deal and letting Wallace walk).

Sounds like that's Whaley did; I wonder if he thought of that same brown/Wallace scenario too when he offered the extension to AW.

Re Aaron Williams, I started a thread on here last year saying that I think the Bills should just give Williams the deal they would have given Byrd-- which is what the steelers did with Antonio brown (giving him Wallace's deal and letting Wallace walk).

Sounds like that's Whaley did; I wonder if he thought of that same brown/Wallace scenario too when he offered the extension to AW.

Maybe, he ripped off several reasons why, younger, faster, more athletic, hits harder, etc. It was kind of the idea that Williams was almost as good, and younger, and would cost 3m less a year, so it was a better choice for them.

Maybe, he ripped off several reasons why, younger, faster, more athletic, hits harder, etc. It was kind of the idea that Williams was almost as good, and younger, and would cost 3m less a year, so it was a better choice for them.

Great to hear this... Because it is all true and he got great value. This was as smart a move as Whaley has made.

no reason to be a buzzkill at the watch party ;)

Ha. He was very personable and very skilled at this. Like being open but not about to say anything crazy. You could tell when he didn't want to go further, but I never expected him to. I tried a few times to get him to say something but he wouldn't bite. ;) Really a good ambassador for the team as I said. He took pictures with everyone, would engage some fans' kids, wore a Bills backers tee-shirt. Really cool.

and when it comes to trying to sign Dareus and Hughes, that extra 3 mill/ yr is going to come in real handy!

As I read Kelly's OP, it reminded me that Whaley comes from the steelers tradition. And that tradition has been (at least over the last 15 years and with few exceptions) that you let your star OLB pass rushers walk in FA. Now I am worried he lets Hughes walk!!