Doug Whaley joined L.A. Bills Backers to watch games this morning

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing he said was "our bad" concerning not having a QB coach last year because Hackett was in his first year on the job and was dealing with all the injuries and really didn't have time to spend with EJ during the season and EJ would often be on his own. Coaches usually hire staffs like that.

Talk about burying the lead! Seems like a pretty damning admission to me - he recognizes they mismanaged the most important position in football. Ugh, I'm sorry, I love Whaley but this pisses me off. "Our Bad" - maybe that should be the title of the Bills 2013 Team Highlights video. Come on, guys.

Talk about burying the lead! Seems like a pretty damning admission to me - he recognizes they mismanaged the most important position in football. Ugh, I'm sorry, I love Whaley but this pisses me off. "Our Bad" - maybe that should be the title of the Bills 2013 Team Highlights video. Come on, guys.

That and tjax being cut early both irked me last year.

Great stuff Kelly, thanks for sharing.

No queries about what has happened the last two years with the OG position? I would have loved to inquire about that to find out what happened with about the only real huge weakness on the team. Is it him, or is he listening to Buddy Nix on this issue, or is it Marrone, Hackett, the O line coach? Or is this the analytic department at work?

I love what Whaley has done in every area of the team except that one position. Finding Kiko, Carpenter, Orton, Spikes, and all the defensive players, a better punter. Henderson at RT. I just don't get the thinking with Chris Williams, Pears.

Well he did sign a free agent guard who promptly injured his back, and he drafted three O-linemen, two of which aren't ready to play. Was there more he could have done? Signed Incognito, a guy who said he hated playing in Buffalo the last time he was here?

Well he did sign a free agent guard who promptly injured his back, and he drafted three O-linemen, two of which aren't ready to play. Was there more he could have done? Signed Incognito, a guy who said he hated playing in Buffalo the last time he was here?

Let's not act like Williams wasnt an odd target. There were a lot available in FA. Otherwise, I don't disagree about the draft.

Let's not act like Williams wasnt an odd target. There were a lot available in FA. Otherwise, I don't disagree about the draft.

Can you name some free agent guards that Whaley should have signed instead of the generic "there were lots available?" Considering the state of most teams O-lines I doubt there we're a lot of good anything just laying around.

Kelly, thanks for the comments. There are a lot of guys on this board very jealous of you. I like Whaley and Marrone. There are too many people who just want to fire people left and right and that is a big part of why we are in this situation.

Continuity is what this team needs right now and we will keep getting better.

I'm glad to hear it on Winston, and the best thing for this team is for Orton to keep evolving with his teammates, and be our franchise guy for the next four years. I'd love to draft a QB in two and actually let him develop like Rodgers.

Way cool story, Thanks Dog!

Would you say the implication is Williams might not be playing because Orton isn't happy with his level of play in practice?

I dunno. Buddy managed to pull Urbick and Pears off the NFL scrap heap, and they're at least servicable. It's not like there's a "name" guard who'd be a known improvement out there, but look at the positive wall of protection the Patriots have around Brady (well OK, I think there's a bunch of block in the back and holding that wasn't being called last night). Where are the names there? The way Pears is playing guard, I think there just might have been someone on the scrap heap who is better.

You bring in a head coach, you give him the right to fail which includes making decisions about his staff. It's really on Marrone and Hackett not to have hired a QB coach.

Way cool story, Thanks Dog!

Would you say the implication is Williams might not be playing because Orton isn't happy with his level of play in practice?

I dunno. Buddy managed to pull Urbick and Pears off the NFL scrap heap, and they're at least servicable. It's not like there's a "name" guard who'd be a known improvement out there, but look at the positive wall of protection the Patriots have around Brady (well OK, I think there's a bunch of block in the back and holding that wasn't being called last night). Where are the names there? The way Pears is playing guard, I think there just might have been someone on the scrap heap who is better.

That is a hope and a guess, not evidence.

Oh, and when TEs were brought up, he did say Ebron was going to be their pick unless something unforeseen happened if they didn't make the Watkins trade.

it's encouraging to see he values TE's that high.....

i'm very pro a double TE formation on offense.

currently none of our TE's can block and only one can catch.

That is a hope and a guess, not evidence.

Frankly, where is there a requirement to have "evidence" to post here? The post I was responding to wasn't asking for "evidence". I was giving my opinion, which is what we all do here. Opinions can be hopes or guesses, or they can have some logic and evidence behind them.

What's the basis for my opinion? When something has been done before, it is typically regarded as demonstrating could be done again. That's the basis of STARS interviewing.

Let me spell it out a bit more for you:

1) Buddy found Pears on the NFL scrap heap in a previous year

2) Buddy found Urbik on the NFL scrap heap

3) Good players can be found on the NFL scrap heap

4) Turning Pears into a guard was an experiment, and by now it's a failed experiment which is risking our season

5) The OP asked what more could be done, I would like to have seen the NFL scrap heap sifted for guards. I think there is likely to be someone out there who is at least as good, simply because of how bad Pears is.

That is my OPINION, and the above is the BASIS for my opinion, which is neither a hope nor a guess.

The only mitigating factor I see is until Orton took over, it was probably challenging to sift apart the effect of a QB taking too long to make decisions from the effect of poor OL play.

We claimed Urbick off the waiver system, I don't know if we could do as such right now given that the team is better. Pears was a good find by Buddy, though.