A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Is it me, or did anyone else think that unheralded Bills players had a HUGE role in this victory? I will try to explain this as I go along.

2) The field goal with 6 minutes left in the half was a great call by Marrone. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have punted. But ya know, the sack before the half was just stupid and it cost us points. Marrone really needs to stop having meltdowns before the deuce at the half. He has been doing this on a consistent basis since he came to town.

3) In the credit where its due department, Gilmore had his best game as a Buffalo Bill, and it wasn't only the pick. His coverage was spot on and he was hitting people. I was very impressed and happy to see this.

4) Kyle Williams is comparatively small, right? He also has short arms and isn't really fast, correct? Yeah, well who gives a f^$(?!!! And forget that "lunchpail" cliche too. He gets low and gets great leverage. I said GREAT!!! He is also a master at using his weight and motion to get past blockers and run straight lines at the qb. I believe he taught this to Marcel, who seems to be doing the same thing this season. Before the game, I told my dear friend nirvjam that Kyle would be the key to our defense today and I wasn't so far off. Kudos to you KW!!!!!

5) Bradham had a few bad penalties today, but do you know that he had 10 tackles, 1 assist and a forced fumble?

6) Why don't we just give Alabama,

rope enough to hang himself?

No need to worry the jury,

His kind takes care of itself.

Twenty-third Psalm Majordomo,

reserve me a table for three.

In the Valley of the Shadow

just you, Alabama and me.

7) Jarius Wynn? Are you kidding me? He looks like a good DE, and these guys are at a premium as we all know. And speaking of "Jarius," Jareus Byrd can kiss my ass. OK, I shouldn't have stooped to this level and said that. I was wrong.

8) Somebody help me out with the contract status of my man Da'Norris Searcy. We need to keep him on this football team. Another unsung hero! He won't stop making plays!

9) Robey was all over the field today too. Another player who I am proud to have on this football team.

10) Dear Sammy,

Part of being great is simply doing you job. That bonehead move was bush league and far beneath you. Please learn from this and refrain from this sort of behavior because you are on your way, if you keep working hard, to the record books. Do the right thing young man!

11) Hey, far be it from me to try to preach to anyone about Orton. I have been around long enough to see many of the all time great QBs. That said, he is one tough son of a B word and he is fun to watch. At least he is a pro. None of us can dispute this.

12) Corbin Bryant kicked ass today as well, didn't he?

13) Do you realize that we will be looking at scores next week and thinking about playoff implications? :) :)

14) My best wishes to all Bills Fans on this wonderful New York October day.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For once in forever this team has real depth. Everywhere but the OL, at least. Loved Wynn's game in particular. And how about Preston Brown? What growth in such short time.

3-1 this quarter, gotta at least as well this next quarter. This is our easiest stretch and we need to capitalize. The AFC is a total dogfight right now. Will be tight to the end.

1) Preston Brown was all over the field and had a great pick, getting better with every snap. Imagine this D with Kiko back. I want Spikes back though.

2) Great 2nd half adjustments against Vick, Mario and Lawson were a big part of that.

3) I hated the conservative approach on offense, we should have tested that secondary a little more. I will never complain when my team runs the ball but Hackett needs to dial up different ways to do it.

4) Hogan, Chandler, Lee Smith, contributed when they called their names, no negative plays.

5) We are building a terrific depth in the defensive line, Charles, Wynn and Bryant with important playing time and being productive.

6) Go Bills!!

As ever, great reading Bill. Fixxer's point number 2 is a good one. As I said elsewhere I followed the first half from the updates on NFL.com on my way back from Wembley. I was worried that Vick was going to beat us with his legs. They clearly adjusted at HT... think he only escaped once 2nd half, and even then Robey almost stopped him getting the 1st down and he was kept to a relatively short gain.

I will say it again - Jim Schwartz is legit and this D is legit.

1) Preston Brown was all over the field and had a great pick, getting better with every snap.

4) Hogan, Chandler, Lee Smith, contributed when they called their names, no negative plays.

5) We are building a terrific depth in the defensive line, Charles, Wynn and Bryant with important playing time and being productive.

You see depth like this not only wins football games, it effects how teams draft. When a team has depth, they can continue on and draft the bpa. Make no mistake, the term bpa is a bit over used and almost cliché. Imo it does not apply to a team that needs a qb.

That said, depth does provide luxury for a football team and is becoming increasingly rare.

What did I miss?

He was standing around laughing when Woods was laying on the field, injured. Imo he is poison, talent notwithstanding.

As ever, great reading Bill. Fixxer's point number 2 is a good one. As I said elsewhere I followed the first half from the updates on NFL.com on my way back from Wembley. I was worried that Vick was going to beat us with his legs. They clearly adjusted at HT... think he only escaped once 2nd half, and even then Robey almost stopped him getting the 1st down and he was kept to a relatively short gain.

I will say it again - Jim Schwartz is legit and this D is legit.

It is great to discuss football with you.

I thought about what you said about personal preference in terms of defense and your point is well taken.

Even in this game there were time when I would have liked to see more pressure. The thing is, we won! BUT, I think that when as face more prominent qbs, we are going to need to be in more of an attack mode, and we clearly have the horses to do so successfully imo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee Smith had a fantastic game today. About time. I really hoped you would have mentioned this. E threw a great block on the Summers run and was impressive in his drive on the catch for a first.

At a few points Mario, Kyle, and Marcel were on the sideline as Hughes, Bryant, Wynn and Charles took entire defensive series. This was amazing. This is something we need to keep. I am in favor of extending Hughes and spikes to do so, despite Spikes nkt showing up on stats much. I honestly believe teams don't try to run up our middle like they would if we did not have him.

Also, free on Searcy and hope Brooks can be kept for his ST abilities

You see depth like this not only wins football games, it effects how teams draft. When a team has depth, they can continue on and draft the bpa. Make no mistake, the term bpa is a bit over used and almost cliché. Imo it does not apply to a team that needs a qb.

That said, depth does provide luxury for a football team and is becoming increasingly rare.

He was standing around laughing when Woods was laying on the field, injured. Imo he is poison, talent notwithstanding.

I don't think he realized Woods was injured and I think is a non issue

1) Is it me, or did anyone else think that unheralded Bills players had a HUGE role in this victory? I will try to explain this as I go along.

2) The field goal with 6 minutes left in the half was a great call by Marrone. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have punted. But ya know, the sack before the half was just stupid and it cost us points. Marrone really needs to stop having meltdowns before the deuce at the half. He has been doing this on a consistent basis since he came to town.

3) In the credit where its due department, Gilmore had his best game as a Buffalo Bill, and it wasn't only the pick. His coverage was spot on and he was hitting people. I was very impressed and happy to see this.

4) Kyle Williams is comparatively small, right? He also has short arms and isn't really fast, correct? Yeah, well who gives a f^$(?!!! And forget that "lunchpail" cliche too. He gets low and gets great leverage. I said GREAT!!! He is also a master at using his weight and motion to get past blockers and run straight lines at the qb. I believe he taught this to Marcel, who seems to be doing the same thing this season. Before the game, I told my dear friend nirvjam that Kyle would be the key to our defense today and I wasn't so far off. Kudos to you KW!!!!!

5) Bradham had a few bad penalties today, but do you know that he had 10 tackles, 1 assist and a forced fumble?

6) Why don't we just give Alabama,

rope enough to hang himself?

No need to worry the jury,

His kind takes care of itself.

Twenty-third Psalm Majordomo,

reserve me a table for three.

In the Valley of the Shadow

just you, Alabama and me.

7) Jarius Wynn? Are you kidding me? He looks like a good DE, and these guys are at a premium as we all know. And speaking of "Jarius," Jareus Byrd can kiss my ass. OK, I shouldn't have stooped to this level and said that. I was wrong.

8) Somebody help me out with the contract status of my man Da'Norris Searcy. We need to keep him on this football team. Another unsung hero! He won't stop making plays!

9) Robey was all over the field today too. Another player who I am proud to have on this football team.

10) Dear Sammy,

Part of being great is simply doing you job. That bonehead move was bush league and far beneath you. Please learn from this and refrain from this sort of behavior because you are on your way, if you keep working hard, to the record books. Do the right thing young man!

11) Hey, far be it from me to try to preach to anyone about Orton. I have been around long enough to see many of the all time great QBs. That said, he is one tough son of a B word and he is fun to watch. At least he is a pro. None of us can dispute this.

12) Corbin Bryant kicked ass today as well, didn't he?

13) Do you realize that we will be looking at scores next week and thinking about playoff implications? :) :)

14) My best wishes to all Bills Fans on this wonderful New York October day.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line in this game was that the best QB won. Orton didn't turn the ball over. Geno and Vick can't find or don't even know where their first option is. One of the worst QB performances I've ever witnessed and that is saying something being a Bills fan. Obviously if the Jets QB play was better you would have expected Hackett to attack down the field after those turnovers rather than running up the middle and allowing the Jets D to settle back into the game and halt momentum but it just seemed like the Jets QB's were going to blow this game no matter what opportunities they were given.

I love his game, but he cost the Bills points today. In a different game that might be a bigger issue. He's got to play with some control.

Yes, fantastic game by the entire secondary.

Cut Mike Williams, what did he do?

This game was a bit frustrating to watch until we finally got the Chandler touchdown late in the 3rd—then a started to relax. But, a win is a win.

We didn't score as many points as we would like off the 6 turnovers (20), but on the good side, we did score 23 points on regular possession opportunities.

I know the running game was, well not impressive, but give them credit for grinding out a couple of first downs at the end when all 15 people still in the stadium knew they were going to be running it. Boobie & BBrown ground out some tough yards and the opine had some push.

It became obvious today that Pears just isn't very good, as Urbik went unnoticed, which is real progress at that position. I'm curious to see what his rating is in his first game back. And any chance that Cyril R (his natural position) or Kojo, or someone, are starting at RG after the bye week?

Hard to tell if the defensive backfield played as well as the turnovers and score indicated, or was it just that the Jets were that bad (probably a bit of both, or what came first: chicken or the egg?)? Nonetheless, it was an outstanding day for them—their best game of the season.

And here is my contribution to the lyrics for the day:

You can't always get what you want

(Like easy points after turnovers)

But if you try sometimes well you might find

You get what you need

(Like a WIN in NJ in late October)

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by CSBill

I love his game, but he cost the Bills points today. In a different game that might be a bigger issue. He's got to play with some control.

I love his physical style as well. What he really needs work on are his pursuit angles. Gannon talked about knowing your own speed and Nigel needs to work on that.

I don't think he realized Woods was injured and I think is a non issue

I don't know. Woods was laying there obviously in pain, and in a way he is his direct competition.

I don't think the Bills are a great enough team to allow such potentially distractive idiocy from a player who IS talented, but has a history of being a miscreant, and is asking for a trade.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Bradham missed three key tackles in the first half: one against Vick in which Vick converted a long third down to keep a drive alive; one against Percy Harvin in the backfield in which he took a bad angle and in which Harvin converted a long third down by getting to the Bills 7; and a missed tackle on an Ivory td run to make it 24-14 (bad angle again). He also cost the Bills 3 probable points with his taunting penalty, and his hit to the head of Vick also led to a first down that resulted in points. He did not have a good game regardless of all the tackles. Hopefully he learns from the 3 personal fouls he accumulated. He's a pretty good player (although a little stiff) but he can be better.

Edited by dave mcbride

Stats aside, I thought Bradham had a brutal game. 3 personal foul penalties, a false start on offense, and most of Vick's scramble yards in 2nd qtr came at Bradham's expense. Not his best day.

Bottom line in this game was that the best QB won. Orton didn't turn the ball over. Geno and Vick can't find or don't even know where their first option is. One of the worst QB performances I've ever witnessed and that is saying something being a Bills fan. Obviously if the Jets QB play was better you would have expected Hackett to attack down the field after those turnovers rather than running up the middle and allowing the Jets D to settle back into the game and halt momentum but it just seemed like the Jets QB's were going to blow this game no matter what opportunities they were given.

Good point. And the gift from Harvin on that runback to his own 1 was as good as it gets. What a freaking idiot! I respect Carroll for purging him from his football team, talent notwithstanding.

Bradham missed three key tackles in the first half: one against Vick in which Vick converted a long third down to keep a drive alive; one against Percy Harvin in the backfield in which he took a bad angle and in which Harvin converted a long third down by getting to the Bills 7; and a missed tackle on an Ivory td run to make it 24-14 (bad angle again). He also cost the Bills 3 probable points with his taunting penalty, and his hit to the head of Vick also led to a first down that resulted in points. He did not have a good game regardless of all the tackles. Hopefully he learns from the 3 personal fouls he accumulated. He's a pretty good player (although a little stiff) but he can be better.

I agree, he needs to settle down a bit at times. He's very athletic against Vick and Harvin you just can't pin your ears and think you will get them. If he takes better angles he got them.

Is there a more stupid penalty than the taunting penalty? Inexcusable,.

- Refreshing that we had a real announcer today in Gannon. His comments about Bills defense, and secondary were spot on. Theyre both very good

- Which brings me to my 2nd point. So sick of people trashing our secondary on this board. Gilmore and McKelvin make a strong pair. If one pass is completed against a DB, people on this board trash the guy. By that standard Deion sucked too

- Conservative game plan was right call. We have a shaky Oline, going against a strong D on the road. This game was always about letting our Defense shut down Geno & co, and the offense staying out of the way

- I dont really care about the Sammy missed TD. He'll learn and it wasnt bad. People are acting like he was doing an Ocho-Cinco, when all he did was slow down prematurely. The real takeaway is how explosive he was on that play and the TD he did get.

- Orton has all the qualities of a leader (strong arm, audibles, puts guys in position to make plays, can get the ball out quickly, doesnt play scared) EXCEPT he doesn't feel pressure at all. He simply wasn't born with that gene. This more than anything has the risk of costing us some games with him

- With the bye, I expect Bryce Brown to be worked into the game plan better against KC

- Denver about to the give Pats their 3rd loss next week. That puts us just 1/2th game behind

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

- Refreshing that we had a real announcer today in Gannon. His comments about Bills defense, and secondary were spot on. Theyre both very good

- Which brings me to my 2nd point. So sick of people trashing our secondary on this board. Gilmore and McKelvin make a strong pair. If one pass is completed against a DB, people on this board trash the guy. By that standard Deion sucked too

- Conservative game plan was right call. We have a shaky Oline, going against a strong D on the road. This game was always about letting our Defense shut down Geno & co, and the offense staying out of the way

- I dont really care about the Sammy missed TD. He'll learn and it wasnt bad. People are acting like he was doing an Ocho-Cinco, when all he did was slow down prematurely. The real takeaway is how explosive he was on that play and the TD he did get.

- Orton has all the qualities of a leader (strong arm, audibles, puts guys in position to make plays, can get the ball out quickly, doesnt play scared) EXCEPT he doesn't feel pressure at all. He simply wasn't born with that gene. This more than anything has the risk of costing us some games with him

- With the bye, I expect Bryce Brown to be worked into the game plan better against KC

Gannon is the best. I wish we had him every week. He understands the game and doesn't pull punches.

I don't know. Woods was laying there obviously in pain, and in a way he is his direct competition.

I don't think the Bills are a great enough team to allow such potentially distractive idiocy from a player who IS talented, but has a history of being a miscreant, and is asking for a trade.

I think mike Williams just had blinders on to the whole point.

In summation, myself personally, I think its nothing but still file it away to memory because in totality it may be something.

No one taught Williams a damn thing about leverage and quickness, he's been doing it that way his whole career and in college too. Why the dis on Mike Williams (cut him) I must have missed something?? Great effort by QB and the D. OL got stuffed, but not embarrassed like in the last game. Hld their own with Urbek at LG. Pears still looks terrible. Wood was nothing to write home about and had his hands full with a bigger physical NG. He needs help from a OG against this type of physical DL and can't be expected to always be the helper.

Yea Rich Gannon was a massive improvement on the shambles we have had the last few weeks in the comm box.

Was it Gannon who said that Hackett is a friend of his, and he knows that Hackett will be disappointed in the poor running game of the Bills. I started yelling at the TV that if it is not working, then change it up!

The story of this game begins and ends with the offensive coaching. There was great play all over the field, and at times, it looked like Marrone and/or Hackett were purposefully trying to lose. I've never seen a coaching staff continually beating their collective heads against a wall like today. They were trying to do something that just wasn't working... playing to the Jets strength and exposing our weakness.

If not for an amazing defensive effort, the season would be all but over. We won today, but for most of the game it felt like we were losing. Such a frustrating game!

The story of this game begins and ends with the offensive coaching. There was great play all over the field, and at times, it looked like Marrone and/or Hackett were purposefully trying to lose. I've never seen a coaching staff continually beating their collective heads against a wall like today. They were trying to do something that just wasn't working... playing to the Jets strength and exposing our weakness.

If not for an amazing defensive effort, the season would be all but over. We won today, but for most of the game it felt like we were losing. Such a frustrating game!

Seriously? You are a depressingly sad person.

Yeah, only scored 43 points. So frustrating.

Seriously, some of you people need to relax. This is a good team who wins games and has a real chance at the playoffs. This is really the best team we've had in a generation. Nothing frustrating about that.

Speak for yourself, because that was not my case, far from it.

Edited by Fixxxer

Mike Williams was brought in to be the 3rd receiver, not Woods competition. If MW is competing with anyone, it's Hogan.

I love his physical style as well. What he really needs work on are his pursuit angles. Gannon talked about knowing your own speed and Nigel needs to work on that.

Yup, but he wasn't alone. They did a poor job containing Vick prior to the 4th quarter. It was about the only downside on the defensive side today.