Chris Hogan

SWATeam

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scumbag Patriots stole Welker, literally, from the Dolphins, similar to the way the Colts stole Wil Wolfford from us. They were going to sign him to a contract that gave him an extra few million dollars if he played more than three games in the state of Florida (or something to that affect). The Dolphins would have had to match the deal he would sign with New England, which obviously the Patriots would not have to pay but the Dolphins would. The Dolphins, instead of losing him outright to the blatant scumbag cheaters, decided to trade him for a low round draft pick instead.

it was a 2 and a 7 - which isnt too shabby for what he was at that point.

Austin Collie/Brandon Stokely

i have a dream that one day hogan will make this exclusive list of high motor, blue collar guys that bring their lunch pail to work

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/05/25-best-white-wide-receivers-nfl-history/

apparently it's a homecoming of sorts for him. He's from northern NJ and will have lots of family and friends in attendance

All the better.

Rex will try and take Sammy away.

I'm beginning to think (hope) that maybe Hogie can be a lot better than I thought.

KO seems to have good chemistry with him.

QB always gets the kudos but in reality that was a heck of a catch last week.

Just a lacrosse player I know but who could have known that a guy from Coe College was actually a great player.

Bold prediction: Hogie has a monster day on Sunday.

Nope.

its Woods turn .

Chris takes the abusive routes, and also blocks well downfiled sunday. Robert needs some love for his hard work . Just protect Kyle and the rest will follow

All these receivers can play nfl football IMO.

But i do love your attitude starry

Edited by 3rdand12

Nope.

its Woods turn .

Chris takes the abusive routes, and also blocks well downfiled sunday. Robert needs some love for his hard work . Just protect Kyle and the rest will follow

All these receivers can play nfl football IMO.

But i do love your attitude starry

Woods is quite capable of having a big game.

Our receivers are really pretty good. That's really what separates of from the Jets.

True they have Percival but he's not acclimated and, who knows, he might punch Geno in the mouth before the first half is over.

Now if we can just fix that pesky O-line.

Woods is quite capable of having a big game.

Our receivers are really pretty good. That's really what separates of from the Jets.

True they have Percival but he's not acclimated and, who knows, he might punch Geno in the mouth before the first half is over.

Now if we can just fix that pesky O-line.

Indeed !

God, it's amazing how he is always compared to white guys. I'm waiting for the Don Beebe comparisons!

Hogan's size-speed-strength combo suggests to he that the top-end comparison is Anquan Boldin. Seriously. (Note that I said "top-end" too -- I'm not saying he'll be as good as Boldin.)

Boldin is 6'1" and 220 lbs and ran a 4.5 coming out of FSU. He's also abnormally strong for a receiver and has great catching skills. Hogan is 6'1"-225 lbs, ran a 4.47, and is abnormally strong, leading all receivers in bench pressing at the combine when he came out.

Edited by dave mcbride

God, it's amazing how he is always compared to white guys. I'm waiting for the Don Beebe comparisons!

Has the same knack for flubbing the easy catches and making the difficult ones ...

Chris Hogan takes on increased role with Buffalo Bills

By Sal Maiorana

One day last week, Chris Hogan and his fiancee, Ashley, were walking around a Dick's Sporting Goods store near Buffalo, and the temptation got to him.

Hogan was in the lacrosse equipment section, and he grabbed a stick and started doing a little cradling, no doubt reminiscing about the days when he starred at midfield for Penn State.

"Just messing around a little," Hogan said with a smile.

Hogan's lacrosse career is long behind him and Major League Lacrosse won't come calling, but considering where he is these days in his athletic arc, he's fine with that.

Hogan's size-speed-strength combo suggests to he that the top-end comparison is Anquan Boldin. Seriously. (Note that I said "top-end" too -- I'm not saying he'll be as good as Boldin.)

Boldin is 6'1" and 220 lbs and ran a 4.5 coming out of FSU. He's also abnormally strong for a receiver and has great catching skills. Hogan is 6'1"-225 lbs, ran a 4.47, and is abnormally strong, leading all receivers in bench pressing at the combine when he came out.

Interesting. And I'll admit that I was the first to throw the name of Austin Collie out there. Is that because fans have a mental block? Is it because NFL coaches and scouts do, pigeonholing the white guys as slot receivers (with some exceptions -- the Jordy Nelsons and Chris Collinsworths). Boldin does match up physically, but his style of play just seems different. I'm still thinking of a good non-white comp ...

Interesting. And I'll admit that I was the first to throw the name of Austin Collie out there. Is that because fans have a mental block? Is it because NFL coaches and scouts do, pigeonholing the white guys as slot receivers (with some exceptions -- the Jordy Nelsons and Chris Collinsworths). Boldin does match up physically, but his style of play just seems different. I'm still thinking of a good non-white comp ...

I already gave it earlier in the thread -- David Nelson 2.0. Faster and stronger.

yea but if you call him the shorter, faster, stronger version... its practically identical!

LOL -- hence the "2.0"

I think we all agree Nelson was a receiver everyone would like to have because of his smarts, route-running, and hands, but he just lacked some of the athleticism needed to truly excel. Hogan seems to be putting the whole package together -- although we need to see it consistently going forward.

Does anyone else feel like Russell Wilson is a carbon copy of Drew Bledsoe except for being shorter, stockier, faster, darker, and with a different style of passing?

i thought that once or twice but when i watch the tape i just cant seem to get past something different.... i cant put my finger on it.... but he just doesnt quite look like him. the height, weight, speed, and style points ill give you though. very similar players on those fronts once you make the adjustments.

Does anyone else feel like Russell Wilson is a carbon copy of Drew Bledsoe except for being shorter, stockier, faster, darker, and with a different style of passing?

I also think there's a comparison to Dareus in there somewhere.

i thought that once or twice but when i watch the tape i just cant seem to get past something different.... i cant put my finger on it.... but he just doesnt quite look like him. the height, weight, speed, and style points ill give you though. very similar players on those fronts once you make the adjustments.

I think too many people are too quick to make the Russell Wilson to Drew Bledsoe comparison only because they wore the same number and their teams jerseys look so similar. Otherwise that idea wouldn't pop into your head so fast. It's a distortion.

I like guys who make plays. Hogan has been doing that. Yes, deep and insightful analysis.

As for the Wilson/Bledsoe comparison, I think the point is they are almost identical, just like my house and the airport are both buildings sitting on land. You just have to make the right adjustments.

It's the uniform. It's a different color.

The scumbag Patriots stole Welker, literally, from the Dolphins, similar to the way the Colts stole Wil Wolfford from us. They were going to sign him to a contract that gave him an extra few million dollars if he played more than three games in the state of Florida (or something to that affect). The Dolphins would have had to match the deal he would sign with New England, which obviously the Patriots would not have to pay but the Dolphins would. The Dolphins, instead of losing him outright to the blatant scumbag cheaters, decided to trade him for a low round draft pick instead.

That Robert Kraft had some good lawyers if that's really how they pulled it off. I assume the NFL has closed that loophole? At least we know that Pegula must have some damn good frackin' lawyers if he's worth $4.7 billion ...

That Robert Kraft had some good lawyers if that's really how they pulled it off. I assume the NFL has closed that loophole? At least we know that Pegula must have some damn good frackin' lawyers if he's worth $4.7 billion ...

Doesn't really take good lawyers, just takes not caring if you cheat. The Colts did it to the Bills when they signed Wolford to a FA contract. I won't go back and look up the exact particulars but basically, the Bills had a bunch of stars with large contracts in the SB years. The Colts had few, and gave Wolford a bunch of money that made him the highest paid lineman in the league, but in his contract it stated that he had to be highest paid offensive player. The Bills had Kelly, Thurman and Reed making more so they couldn't match the deal.

The Vikings did it a few years ago with Steve Hutchinson and some stipulation of stadiums he could play in. I think in the latest CBA the players agreed to not let "the poison pill" be used in contracts again but I'm not sure if it's an official rule or anything. There may have been more times it was used but I can only think of those three (Wolford, Welker and Hutchinson, although the Seahawks tried some shenanigans with the Vikings Nate Burleson after the Hutchinson thing).

Doesn't really take good lawyers, just takes not caring if you cheat. The Colts did it to the Bills when they signed Wolford to a FA contract. I won't go back and look up the exact particulars but basically, the Bills had a bunch of stars with large contracts in the SB years. The Colts had few, and gave Wolford a bunch of money that made him the highest paid lineman in the league, but in his contract it stated that he had to be highest paid offensive player. The Bills had Kelly, Thurman and Reed making more so they couldn't match the deal.

Interesting -- thanks for the details, I didn't know about those shenanigans. But I don't call this "cheating." Not cheating like surreptitiously videotaping another team's closed practice. This is being clever, maybe breaking a kind of gentlemen's agreement (which makes you an unpopular guy at the annual meeting), but when the CBA/salary cap, etc. leaves a loophole, fair game to exploit it.

Interesting -- thanks for the details, I didn't know about those shenanigans. But I don't call this "cheating." Not cheating like surreptitiously videotaping another team's closed practice. This is being clever, maybe breaking a kind of gentlemen's agreement (which makes you an unpopular guy at the annual meeting), but when the CBA/salary cap, etc. leaves a loophole, fair game to exploit it.

If it's not cheating, then why would only three teams dare do it only three total times over 25 years when every year there is 20+ chances to do it?

The Bills did something slightly sleazy, more of breaking an unwritten gentlemen's agreement, to acquire Steve Tasker from the Oilers. That was during something called Plan B free agency and teams used to slip injured players through waivers, knowing most teams would not put in claims for them. The Bills considered Tasker too good to pass up so they claimed him. But I don't put that on the poison pill scale.

Because there probably was a kind of gentlemen's agreement not to do it after the first time someone (Kraft?) pulled it. I'm sure the player's union never contemplated that teams would put the franchise tag on a guy like Jairus Byrd -- it was supposed to be to allow a team to keep it's Elway or Montana or Marino, not some pretty-good-but-hardly-legendary safety. The first team that did that probably stunned the player's union, but the other owners immediately thought, "hey, great idea, it screws the players, not us -- I'm in too." This is what happens in business. The owners are all billionaires, they can afford the lawyers who draft agreements that seal off this kind of gamesmanship. I'm not saying it's honorable, but it's not cheating.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Because there probably was a kind of gentlemen's agreement not to do it after the first time someone (Kraft?) pulled it. I'm sure the player's union never contemplated that teams would put the franchise tag on a guy like Jairus Byrd -- it was supposed to be to allow a team to keep it's Elway or Montana or Marino, not some pretty-good-but-hardly-legendary safety. This is what happens in business. The owners are all billionaires, they can afford the lawyers who draft agreements that seal off this kind of gamesmanship. I'm not saying it's honorable, but it's not cheating.

Like I said, the Colts did it in 1993 or so. Everyone in the league knew about it, it wasn't a secret. The Bills threw a fit and the league debated it and let it stand. But no one else did it until the Patriots did it 14 years later.

If it's not cheating, then why would only three teams dare do it only three total times over 25 years when every year there is 20+ chances to do it?

The Bills did something slightly sleazy, more of breaking an unwritten gentlemen's agreement, to acquire Steve Tasker from the Oilers. That was during something called Plan B free agency and teams used to slip injured players through waivers, knowing most teams would not put in claims for them. The Bills considered Tasker too good to pass up so they claimed him. But I don't put that on the poison pill scale.

Heck, the Bills were just repeating the move they made to pluck Jack Kemp from the Chargers waiver wire in 1962....

It's not cheating. But a douchy move to your fellow club members. I'm guessing that despite public pronouncements, there's very little respect towards Kraft.

Like I said, the Colts did it in 1993 or so. Everyone in the league knew about it, it wasn't a secret. The Bills threw a fit and the league debated it and let it stand. But no one else did it until the Patriots did it 14 years later.

IIRC, the NFL did change the rules after the Wolford deal. Then Seahawks & Vikings came up with a twist that got around those rules, and NFL clamped down again.

There's a reason it's only been done 4 times. It's a slimy maneuver.