Will Pegula Cough Up the Big Bucks for a Big Name HC?

patfitz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 50 yr. Bills' follower, I wonder if Pegula will do what Ralph only did once in his tenure, that is hiring a big name HC? Ralph to his credit or detriment tried iti once with Chuck Knox. The results for Knox were pretty good. In fact I was at the Bills/San Diego playoff game and I am convinced to this very day if Joe Ferguson were completely healthy we would have prevailed. I hope Pegula learned from the Darcy/Lindy fiasco with the Sabres that it is better to cut ties with the past and start fresh. Perhaps we can get a coach/GM that actually have a clue and are not either retreads or unknowns. There seems to be some up and coming and proven talent and Pegula may decide to go for the best money can buy!

see sig

The sooner Marrone and the rest of the wannabe staff are gone, the better. EJ's fantasy about being a franchise QB will also be over. If he's lucky he can carry the Gatorade bottles for the real players.

Sure will be fun to start all over again

again .

I seem to remember a lot of you wanted lovie smith.

Cowher and gruden, Their ability to coach his diminishing year-by-year.

i honestly don't know who would be the "it" guy for hc come the end of the season. but it would be a welcome change to see us going up against the "haves" of the league if and when there's a need for a change. i don't recall winning a bidding war against other teams to sign any of our last half dozen coaches. following conventional wisdom would seem logical after years of failure at being contrarian and pretending to know better than anyone else only to fail repeatedly.

Outside of Buffalo, one of the big knocks on this team outside of Ralph not paying for big name coaches, but then eventually free agents and coaches not wanting to come here is blowing up the team every 2-3 years.

We are constantly starting over and the new regime brings in new systems, have to bring in p,ayers to match their system, and so on. The jury's out on EJ. Not because it was one game, but I'm still Leary of his ability to become an accurate QB who can make his progressions. I'm not a fan of mobilie QB's as I like a lot more not the greats, but the Kirk Cousins, and Nick Foles of the world. If you saw that game opposite the Bills (I was sitting at a sports bar with my son with a bunch of Philly fans), you have to scratch your head. Those guys look so much better with less or equal game experience to EJ. With that said, I get looking for another QB in the future if EJ does not improve.

I do not believe firing Whaley and Marrone is the answer. Give them time to build a successful franchise. I just think we have so many loyal and desperate fans out there we want any change to improve and sometimes you have to stay the course. I'm not a Hackett fan, but there are a lot of good coaches on this team.

Outside of Buffalo, one of the big knocks on this team outside of Ralph not paying for big name coaches, but then eventually free agents and coaches not wanting to come here is blowing up the team every 2-3 years.

We are constantly starting over and the new regime brings in new systems, have to bring in p,ayers to match their system, and so on. The jury's out on EJ. Not because it was one game, but I'm still Leary of his ability to become an accurate QB who can make his progressions. I'm not a fan of mobilie QB's as I like a lot more not the greats, but the Kirk Cousins, and Nick Foles of the world. If you saw that game opposite the Bills (I was sitting at a sports bar with my son with a bunch of Philly fans), you have to scratch your head. Those guys look so much better with less or equal game experience to EJ. With that said, I get looking for another QB in the future if EJ does not improve.

I do not believe firing Whaley and Marrone is the answer. Give them time to build a successful franchise. I just think we have so many loyal and desperate fans out there we want any change to improve and sometimes you have to stay the course. I'm not a Hackett fan, but there are a lot of good coaches on this team.

if any of the blow ups were successful, i believe you'd be singing a different tune. can't imagine the seahawks fans complaining about it happening there a few short years ago. just because the prior regime was an abject failure at rebuilding doesn't mean the future one will be.

As a 50 yr. Bills' follower, I wonder if Pegula will do what Ralph only did once in his tenure, that is hiring a big name HC? Ralph to his credit or detriment tried iti once with Chuck Knox. The results for Knox were pretty good. In fact I was at the Bills/San Diego playoff game and I am convinced to this very day if Joe Ferguson were completely healthy we would have prevailed. I hope Pegula learned from the Darcy/Lindy fiasco with the Sabres that it is better to cut ties with the past and start fresh. Perhaps we can get a coach/GM that actually have a clue and are not either retreads or unknowns. There seems to be some up and coming and proven talent and Pegula may decide to go for the best money can buy!

Which coaches do you have in mind...and don't say Cowher or Gruden. They are retired and not coming back. They have it too good now to start coaching again.

I think it is pretty clear that the Bills need to make the playoffs this year or there is going to be a house cleaning. Pegula had to learn from his mistake with the Sabres giving Darcy & Regier more time then they should of gotten. Don't think Marrone & Whaley don't know it either. I said it at the time of the draft, this is what drove them to pull the trigger on the Watkins trade. THey desperately needed a playmaker & they got the best playmaker in the draft. Their thinking let's roll the dice this year, if it doesn't work out who cares about the number 1 given up because they are not going to be around next year anyways. But let's not push the panic button just yet. The division seems as vulnerable as it has in 14 years, we are still in first place & have a very winnable game coming up against noodle arm fitz and the texans.

He won't be the person making those decisions.

Looks like his wife will....

Though Terry Pegula is listed as the Sabres owner, his wife oversees numerous areas of the operation.

Kim Pegula has played a key role in spearheading the family's purchase of the Bills, including spending an afternoon touring Ralph Wilson Stadium in August. She is expected to have a high-ranking role with the Bills, working alongside current team president Russ Brandon.

Current team President?

Ruh roh Russ......

Just curious, so what big name coaches have gone to a second team and been highly successful?? Shanny, that worked out well! Marty, he's still available, We certainly know Cowler is available, for close to ten years now. My thought is if you're going to pay big bucks to hire some successful former coach, he better do real well, like deep into the playoffs well. And if he's really that good, why did the other team dump him? Or it's some coach who has been out of football for like five or ten years and the longer he stays out of football, the better he becomes.

I think the Bills made the right type of move in signing Marrone, will he specifically work out, who knows, but going after a guy like that is better than going after some re-tread. You have to ask why would a highly successful coach be available? Some of these "successful coaches follow the path of a John Gruden, coach who built a winning program gets fired, new guy comes in and inherits a pretty good team. He wins it all, but over the next few years he now builds his own team and fails and eventually gets fired. But everyone thinks he great due to the one time he won.

Really, can you explain what the signs were that make it pretty clear?? Obviously you must be able to see things much more clearly than the rest of us as I haven't seen or heard anything to support that other than pure speculation. Your argument that he needs to learn from his mistake, OK, Darcy was there many years before he took over and the team was already floundering. But Whaley is only been the GM for two years, and more of his moves have been successful than failures so don't see any argument that he's already had too much time. If he totally fails on EJ, OK, welcome to the club as there are many more 1st round failures at QB than successes. You go back and try another one. Looking around the league, the odds a better that he never finds that true franchise guy, at best he may get a guy who looks good for a few years, like a Cutler type.

I think it is pretty clear that the Bills need to make the playoffs this year or there is going to be a house cleaning. Pegula had to learn from his mistake with the Sabres giving Darcy & Regier more time then they should of gotten. Don't think Marrone & Whaley don't know it either. I said it at the time of the draft, this is what drove them to pull the trigger on the Watkins trade. THey desperately needed a playmaker & they got the best playmaker in the draft. Their thinking let's roll the dice this year, if it doesn't work out who cares about the number 1 given up because they are not going to be around next year anyways. But let's not push the panic button just yet. The division seems as vulnerable as it has in 14 years, we are still in first place & have a very winnable game coming up against noodle arm fitz and the texans.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I have not read the entire thread so I apologize if this is repetitive. Big name coaches are irrelevant. Good coaches are the answer. Mike McCoy wasn't a big named guy but he is 15,000 times the coach that Mike Shanahan is at this point. The game is evolving so fast that past success means so little. Give me the guy that has what's next. Give me the guy that is out in front of the trends like Chip Kelly is. I don't care that Jeff Fisher won 10 years ago or even Coughlin for that matter. If you are going to change coaches follow trends (mainly in college) and watch the people that are the innovators. The guy on top of my list (and he is a big name) is Gus Malzahn.

I see people clamoring for Cowher. How do you think his ultra conservative mentality will translate to today's game? My guess is it will translate about as well as Wanny's defensive scheme. In today's game if people know what you are doing before the ball is snapped you lose. This beat the man in front of you stuff died with analytics and technology. There is too much research and preparation to just win when teams know what you are doing. They just adjust and go where you are not.

Edited by Kirby Jackson