Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

YoloinOhio

Tbh yours is just as bad. Nobody knows what happened just that charges were filed. My reaction is wow I wonder what happened. I haven't seen anyone in this thread blame the child here...

Yup it's an old school one for sure. Pick your switch was the worst. Small ones hurt bc they move fast big ones hurt bc they're big. Learn your lesson quick though lol.

Yep. I had neighbors who would make my friends pick a switch. I never got a switch, just the belt. Never had to learn the same lesson twice. I think, by today's standards, there would be a lot of parents and grandparents getting arrested. I saw the photos of his son. Maybe he went a bit too far, but the switch or a belt can and will leave marks. And if the kid is moving all over the place that would explain the marks on his arms. I think this case is more about our new age, hug it out, time-out, everybody gets a participation trophy culture than any thought that AP is an abuser. But it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to children.

Yep, the court of public opinion is very easy to sway.

Honestly, I guess I am defending AP. Clearly, it's something he shouldn't have done, and it's something I never have done. But I won't pretend that I wouldn't use the ways my parents raised me to raise my own children, and AP himself said that's the way he was raised. I won't demonize AP to a child-beating POS just yet. Going on Twitter, it seems like a cultural thing, a lot of southern blacks are saying, "AP arrested? My mom and Grandma would be doing time, too." All in all, it's important to take a step back and try to actually understand the issues.

I said the same thing. I've seen the switch picking ritual. I think AP went a bit overboard, but I don't get the impression he was trying to injure him. That wouldn't be hard for AP to do if that were his intention. Again, a switch or a belt, which is what I got, will leave marks.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that when I posted that, it was before any details were published. The ONLY thing to go on was the initial story of "hit with a switch," with absolutely no indication of severity.

Then why did you claim to know the intent of Adrian Peterson? Why can't you answer that question. Was it because you jumped to conclusions without knowing facts and blew smoke?

I guarantee if there was a video of a 212 pound man beating a screaming 4 year old with a stick repeatedly, people wouldn't be defending this idiot.

Maybe, but unless such a video surfaces, we can just go with a 2-game suspension, right?

Yep, the court of public opinion is very easy to sway.

Honestly, I guess I am defending AP. Clearly, it's something he shouldn't have done, and it's something I never have done. But I won't pretend that I wouldn't use the ways my parents raised me to raise my own children, and AP himself said that's the way he was raised. I won't demonize AP to a child-beating POS just yet. Going on Twitter, it seems like a cultural thing, a lot of southern blacks are saying, "AP arrested? My mom and Grandma would be doing time, too." All in all, it's important to take a step back and try to actually understand the issues.

I am not buying it. My father was raised around corporal punishment and he went out of his way not to make the same mistakes his parents made. I have never laid a hand on my children. It is simply unacceptable. It is the THREAT that is supposed to work. Obviously, I am not talking small smacks, whatever... I can accept those. But when it gets to the point that's seen in those pictures, it has gone way out of control. The threat is having no effect on the child and the actual act carried out is making things worse. The child has bascially called the bluff. So what's the answer? Beat more to where it becomes physical harm? You gotta be kidding me.

Like I said, my grandfather (mother's father) would just have to show the strap and it would get results... We were afraid of the unknown... Of course the unknown that would never come because we towed the line. What happens if the child just doesn't tow the line? Pulls a hard case "Cool Hand Luke" and refuses to give into authority. Its obvious what AP did had ZERO effect on the child. A "switch", you gotta be kidding me... On a four year old? And then he misses/whiffs and hits the child in the privates... Something is wrong here. This is so sad how people are so effed up...

Maybe there more to this story that is shown... I have NO ability to side with a situation that appears to have gotten out of control. If AP was raised like that, then he should know how awful it felt and not repeat the same mistake.

And yes... Some of our family members should be doing or did time... The ones that actually carried the act out. My father ran away @ 9, hitched a freight to Rochester because he was beat as a child. The first thing my grandfather said to him when he went to the police station to go pick him up was: "Wait till I get you home you little SOB!" The police officer said right to my father: "You come running right back here if he hits you!" This was the early 1940's!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yep. I had neighbors who would make my friends pick a switch. I never got a switch, just the belt. Never had to learn the same lesson twice. I think, by today's standards, there would be a lot of parents and grandparents getting arrested. I saw the photos of his son. Maybe he went a bit too far, but the switch or a belt can and will leave marks. And if the kid is moving all over the place that would explain the marks on his arms. I think this case is more about our new age, hug it out, time-out, everybody gets a participation trophy culture than any thought that AP is an abuser. But it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to children.

I said the same thing. I've seen the switch picking ritual. I think AP went a bit overboard, but I don't get the impression he was trying to injure him. That wouldn't be hard for AP to do if that were his intention. Again, a switch or a belt, which is what I got, will leave marks.

One of the strongest athletes went "a bit" overboard when he beat his child with a weapon?

You can try to link this to the evils of participation trophies if you want, but that's not a valid connection. What's valid is that our culture has at least evolved beyond the acceptability of adult men needing to repeatedly hit their children and draw blood to discipline them.

How you got any impression of his intent is beyond me. What he did was flat wrong, very wrong, no matter what his intent. Clearly his intent It's not like he struck him one time and went a little too hard. There are marks all over the kid that show he was hit many times. The only way AP looks OK in this story is if the photos are fabricated or someone else beat him.

I'm with Bill. Scumbag and goodbye NFL career.

One of the strongest athletes went "a bit" overboard when he beat his child with a weapon?

You can try to link this to the evils of participation trophies if you want, but that's not a valid connection. What's valid is that our culture has at least evolved beyond the acceptability of adult men needing to repeatedly hit their children and draw blood to discipline them.

How you got any impression of his intent is beyond me. What he did was flat wrong, very wrong, no matter what his intent. Clearly his intent It's not like he struck him one time and went a little too hard. There are marks all over the kid that show he was hit many times. The only way AP looks OK in this story is if the photos are fabricated or someone else beat him.

I agree with this. I think society has changed. I have a son the same age and I can't fathom doing something like this. I don't use any physical "negative reinforcement" with my kids, and I hope I never have to. My parents used to spank me and all it did was make me more violent towards my siblings and others (because I wanted to "hit back" but I couldn't, so I took it out on others). I believe that violence begets violence. In any event, even if you believe that physical punishment is in some cases acceptable, it's not ok with a four year-old, and it's not ok when taken to this degree.

The NFL is having a seriously bad few weeks.

This post was another one that contained errors.

I find it funny that you are taking such a black and white stance on this. If AP really was raised this way, and had similar "marks," that means nothing to you?

You keep saying that my post was wrong, but it's not. I highly suggest you go read Nick Wright's coverage on the story. He's been working on the story for well over a week, has listened to the police depositions, interviews, etc. He has by far the most in depth coverage on the case.

He makes it quite clear that Adrian Peterson loves his son but has no idea the damage that he's inflicted on him. He also makes it quite clear that the child is extremely damaged psychologically from this incident.

I do not believe that because someone did it to him is an acceptable reason to make it okay. To me, that's a silly argument. Just because ssomeone abused you doesn't make it okay for you to abuse someone else. That just perpetuates a cycle of wrongs and tries to justify it.

Nick Wright posted a series of tweets summarizing his story here: https://twitter.com/getnickwright

Edited by BlueFire

I doubt DC Tom is as educated as me when it comes to behavioral psychology. But for a stimulus such as spanking to be a negative reinforcement, it would have to be to a degree painful. What DC Tom was trying to articulate, is that spanking has gone to far when you are causing too much pain, enjoying it, creating lasting marks, etc. I think we all know what too much is though, just some of us can't explain it as well as others

Actually, a spanking isn't negative reinforcement, it's a punishment. The two aren't synonyms. Reinforcement refers to stimuli that increase the frequency of a desired behavior. Positive reinforcement means adding a desired stimulus when the desired response is displayed. Negative reinforcement means an aversive stimulus is removed when the desired response is displayed. Punishment refers to stimuli which decrease the frequency of an undesired behavior. Punishment can also be positive or negative, depending on if an undesired stimulus is added, or if a desired stimuli is removed.

Thanks, and check this out.....https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/510555310679805952

Nice, huh? Sorry Honey but by the way, while I was beating him and taking skin off of his body, I accidently hit him in the "nuts."

I was told the same thing Darryl Talleys mother told him. Belts and "switches" leave marks or "welts" when hit directly on skin.

I guarantee if there was a video of a 212 pound man beating a screaming 4 year old with a stick repeatedly, people wouldn't be defending this idiot.

If hitting was involved period, nowadays, people would be offended.

I witnessed my friends, on numerous occasions, get beat with switches and leather straps in school in front of classmates and teachers!

What's with running back and pumping out the multitude of children? They have got to have some of the shortest careers in The League and are usually out by the time they are 34... Like Forte said: "They are ground down."

McGahee

Henry

Peterson

Etc...

I wonder if there is a list by position and how many children they are siring... :D

If you exclude mike vick, I bet qbs, kickers and punters are at the bottom of the list.

Going on Twitter, it seems like a cultural thing, a lot of southern blacks are saying, "AP arrested? My mom and Grandma would be doing time, too." All in all, it's important to take a step back and try to actually understand the issues.

During slavery, parents had to be very stern with their children because if they revolted, they could be killed or sold by slave owners. This sickening, ugly period of American history caused untold damage to several generations. I don't think that any sane person could deny this.

That said, let's fast forward to AP, shall we?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/adrian-peterson/

You do the math. Peterson has mega millions of dollars. His children are safe, except of course from predators such as him. He could afford any therapist in the USA if he thought the child had a problem. Instead, he grabbed a weapon and proceeded to beat and yes, torture him. AP does not deserve any justification or sympathy.

I think I might be through with this topic.

I'm confused. Is this stemming from the death of the boy last year? Or is this a current child?

Different child. AP apparently has 7, quoting a former girlfriend: "to my knowledge, he takes care of them all".

I don't know what the domestic abuse police will roll out, but this is one where I'd like to let the legal system take its course and know what happens before judging.

Unless of course the videotape was rolling.

You keep saying that my post was wrong, but it's not. I highly suggest you go read Nick Wright's coverage on the story. He's been working on the story for well over a week, has listened to the police depositions, interviews, etc. He has by far the most in depth coverage on the case.

He makes it quite clear that Adrian Peterson loves his son but has no idea the damage that he's inflicted on him. He also makes it quite clear that the child is extremely damaged psychologically from this incident.

I do not believe that because someone did it to him is an acceptable reason to make it okay. To me, that's a silly argument. Just because ssomeone abused you doesn't make it okay for you to abuse someone else. That just perpetuates a cycle of wrongs and tries to justify it.

Nick Wright posted a series of tweets summarizing his story here: https://twitter.com/getnickwright

I'm not saying that it makes it, "okay" if AP got beat the same way, I'm saying it makes it different. Because it does.

You can say that AP should have known how it felt, but you know what? His life may have turned out completely different if he didn't get hit with a switch once or twice as a kid. He probably attributes it to making him a better person and helping him stay on the straight and narrow to make millions in the NFL.

Edited by FireChan

My dad never hit me once. Which likely explains my first 8 years posting on this site.

That's ok you can now bring the mods up on charges of abuse. We do create good will and positive behavior with warnings and the occasional boot. We would much prefer switching board miscreants but the intended effect of the act doesn't come through the software well.

As for AP I am left to assume the situation is serious if the court was involved. I hope for the child's sake that it is not.