Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

YoloinOhio

I absolute care about the welfare of all kids. My point is the fact he has 7 kids to support should not be a consideration when the league disciplines him.

Yep. He will have to face the music sooner or later... He can't live the lifestyle he is living now for the rest of his life... It WILL take a serious drop off in a few years @ around 35 years of age. Especially running, they are out of The League usually the fastest.

He could set up a trust fund for each kid not allowed to be touched by anyone. Like a mil each that they can't touch until they're 18

Do they (star players) even get paid like that... Does he have access to 7 million in liquid cash? All the dough he makes, I would hope so...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that fans should be more responsible in what they demand. The NFL has no desire or reason to administer justice except to placate the low IQ fans that look at the league as a judicial system. If fans didn't demand ill-conceived discipline the league would be less likely to implement it.

Edit: And protecting kids from child abuse by unnecessarily hindering their parents ability to earn a living is perverse.

I wish we could all live in the land of make believe like you!

I still live in reality with you where emotion and moralizing trump logic and practicality. Just because I espouse the virtues of the make believe world where the masses use their intellect to steer their emotions and not the other way around, doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that we're there.

How did this come to light? Was it a routine office visit after a week? Just saying, the mother has no financial stake in exposing her "meal ticket"/"Sugar Daddy" (AP) as an abuser. Put him behind bars and the money dries up. Look @ how Ray Rice's sig other reconciled, actually went on to be his wife.

That being said... God I hope that she immediately went to the authorites (which may not be the case because the pics were shot a week later?)... OR, again did it become an issue after a routine check-up?

I would pray she did the right thing and reported it right away... Get this guy away from the child for good... Even if it meant a financial stress and loss for both of them. Do people really do the right thing anymore. One can hope!

Every year or two a poster like you will come around and be the smartest guy in the room. Usually(and I don't know you personally so I can't say, but you seem to fit the profile) it seems to me that the smartest guy in the room has run out of people to practice their antisocial/narsasistic behaviors on so they troll a message board sadly, and that's okay as you seem to be on point but you're definitely not original.

I'm glad you're here to add to the discussion for now, however I'm sure it will only take a few weeks before you get board and move on.

A switch is a thin tree branch, like from a willow tree. Hurts like a B word by the way and leaves marks. Personal experience.

I don't want to pass judgement on this case, but many of us (notably and publically Oprah) were raised in the "go cut a switch" paradigm, where not only were you switched for bad behavior, you were sent out to cut the stick you were about to be switched with. Some "Christian" authors and congregations (the Pearls) still actively practice "spare the rod and spoil the child" where parents not only believe in corporate punishment, they believe they are endangering their children's salvation if they don't teach them to them obey their parents, with physical punishment if necessary.

So there is a point where this becomes a debate over these values vs a valueset that says any physical punishment of a child is wrong as much as a debate about what constitutes "excessive" physical punishment and what is acceptable.

Texas has a lot of citizens who adhere to the "spare the rod" form of Christian fundamentalism, as well as a good enclave of citizens of more "liberal" and "modern" viewpoints. I can count the number of times I physically punished my daughter on one hand without using my thumb, and it was 3 spanks with a bare hand. There were 3 things that were spankable offenses in our house and that was it. Made a big impression.

My in-laws discipline their girls with a wooden spoon or a belt, I don't agree but the kids turned out fine.

I have trouble imagining a 4 year old who needs to be switched to the point of leaving marks, and of course if a child has shared custody between two parents, then the parents really have to come to an agreement on what discipline is appropriate or it will end up in the courts, I guarantee it. But if the parents feel they are disciplining and it's not outrageous (hitting with fists, outright cruelty), I really hate to see it become a criminal case rather than a referral for family counseling. Though for all we know it had already gone that route.

My point is that fans should be more responsible in what they demand. The NFL has no desire or reason to administer justice except to placate the low IQ fans that look at the league as a judicial system. If fans didn't demand ill-conceived discipline the league would be less likely to implement it.

Edit: And protecting kids from child abuse by unnecessarily hindering their parents ability to earn a living is perverse.

WTF are you talking about? So the league should not discipline a child abuser or a wife beater in their employ? Should they only discipline players without kids while those with get a free pass because "hindering their parents (sic) ability to earn a living is perverse"?

That is some effed up logic you're spinning.

I still live in reality with you where emotion and moralizing trump logic and practicality. Just because I espouse the virtues of the make believe world where the masses use their intellect to steer their emotions and not the other way around, doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that we're there.

This is just plain silly. There's no gray area here if everything that is being reporting is the truth. If the facts hold... This is a case of child abuse. What's illogical and impractical with obvious child abuse? Like JA said, unless somebody else caused that damage, AP is guilty as sin... There is simply no excuse.

The dude abused his 4 year child with a "switch." Unless it comes out otherwise, how much more easier and logical is this to understand. There is NO emotion by the masses here. Simply right vs.wrong. Done deal if the evidence holds true.

WTF are you talking about? So the league should not discipline a child abuser or a wife beater in their employ? Should they only discipline players without kids while those with get a free pass because "hindering their parents (sic) ability to earn a living is perverse"?

Exactly...

I don't want to pass judgement on this case, but many of us (notably and publically Oprah) were raised in the "go cut a switch" paradigm, where not only were you switched for bad behavior, you were sent out to cut the stick you were about to be switched with. Some "Christian" authors and congregations (the Pearls) still actively practice "spare the rod and spoil the child" where parents not only believe in corporate punishment, they believe they are endangering their children's salvation if they don't teach them to them obey their parents, with physical punishment if necessary.

So there is a point where this becomes a debate over these values vs a valueset that says any physical punishment of a child is wrong as much as a debate about what constitutes "excessive" physical punishment and what is acceptable.

Texas has a lot of citizens who adhere to the "spare the rod" form of Christian fundamentalism, as well as a good enclave of citizens of more "liberal" and "modern" viewpoints. I can count the number of times I physically punished my daughter on one hand without using my thumb, and it was 3 spanks with a bare hand. There were 3 things that were spankable offenses in our house and that was it. Made a big impression.

My in-laws discipline their girls with a wooden spoon or a belt, I don't agree but the kids turned out fine.

I have trouble imagining a 4 year old who needs to be switched to the point of leaving marks, and of course if a child has shared custody between two parents, then the parents really have to come to an agreement on what discipline is appropriate or it will end up in the courts, I guarantee it. But if the parents feel they are disciplining and it's not outrageous (hitting with fists, outright cruelty), I really hate to see it become a criminal case rather than a referral for family counseling. Though for all we know it had already gone that route.

Thanks for touching on this.

And on the lighter side... It is "corporal" not corporate.... I know, autocorrect... ;-P ;-P Sometimes I do feel punished when I hit Burger King for breakfast... Just ask my toilet! LoL... ;-P ;-P

How did this come to light? Was it a routine office visit after a week? Just saying, the mother has no financial stake in exposing her "meal ticket"/"Sugar Daddy" (AP) as an abuser. Put him behind bars and the money dries up. Look @ how Ray Rice's sig other reconciled, actually went on to be his wife.

That being said... God I hope that she immediately went to the authorites (which may not be the case because the pics were shot a week later?)... OR, again did it become an issue after a routine check-up?

I would pray she did the right thing and reported it right away... Get this guy away from the child for good... Even if it meant a financial stress and loss for both of them. Do people really do the right thing anymore. One can hope!

Little Man was at Daddy's house for the week. When he got home and Mom saw the damage, she took him to the doctor. I like to think that she was putting her kid first and took him to the doctor for the right reasons.

Sh*t. Only the *Pats could have such luck...smh

right? Coming off a loss to the phins they get that

Yep. He will have to face the music sooner or later... He can't live the lifestyle he is living now for the rest of his life... It WILL take a serious drop off in a few years @ around 35 years of age. Especially running, they are out of The League usually the fastest.

Do they (star players) even get paid like that... Does he have access to 7 million in liquid cash? All the dough he makes, I would hope so...

he's made at least 60 mil so far in his career. Rookie deal was 40 mil, the new deal is like 96 mil. endorsements etc. He should be able to.

This is just plain silly. There's no gray area here if everything that is being reporting is the truth. If the facts hold... This is a case of child abuse. What's illogical and impractical with obvious child abuse? Like JA said, unless somebody else caused that damage, AP is guilty as sin... There is simply no excuse.

The dude abused his 4 year child with a "switch." Unless it comes out otherwise, how much more easier and logical is this to understand. There is NO emotion by the masses here. Simply right vs.wrong. Done deal if the evidence holds true.

WTF are you talking about? I clearly said that if the case came across my desk I'd prosecute and ask for jail time. What exactly is it you take issue with?

I don't believe you were around for the Ray Rice thing so I'll give you a pass. The argument I'm advancing is that discipline for non football related crimes should be handled by the courts and any image concerns should be dealt with by the individual teams rather than the league.

Further, I don't think it is the league's responsibility or place to administer justice for the sake of justice. Again, that is for the court. I acknowledge that the NFL has a right to punish unrelated activity, I just don't think they should. The only rational reason for the NFL to administer justice is to protect its image, and if we the unenlightened masses weren't looking to the NFL for justice, it's likely they would not assume the role. A role they are ill-equipped to properly undertake.

for spankin his kid. Personally I'm on Adrians side if all he did is spank his kid with a switch. Now if there is a huge pattern of abuse thats something different but if he spanked his kid for being a brat that I support Peterson

More kids need to be spanked these days

I'm not saying that it makes it, "okay" if AP got beat the same way, I'm saying it makes it different. Because it does.

You can say that AP should have known how it felt, but you know what? His life may have turned out completely different if he didn't get hit with a switch once or twice as a kid. He probably attributes it to making him a better person and helping him stay on the straight and narrow to make millions in the NFL.

I agree that Peterson thinking it's appropriate because it happened to him changes things. It's precisely why this should be treated harshly and cautiously. As long as he doesn't understand why this is wrong and is willing to do it again, he's an endangerment to that child.

I hope he receives harsh punishment from the nfl and some time off, and I hope he uses that time to become educated. With all the resources available to a multimillionaire there's no reason we should ever accept "well that's what I know" as an appropriate answer. If he wanted to learn the best parenting techniques on the planet he has all the money in the world to do so.

The nfl doesn't care about morals. They have a PRATICAL REASON. You are the person preaching illogic

Every year or two a poster like you will come around and be the smartest guy in the room. Usually(and I don't know you personally so I can't say, but you seem to fit the profile) it seems to me that the smartest guy in the room has run out of people to practice their antisocial/narsasistic behaviors on so they troll a message board sadly, and that's okay as you seem to be on point but you're definitely not original.

I'm glad you're here to add to the discussion for now, however I'm sure it will only take a few weeks before you get board and move on.

Yea you are wrong. But Ignore the two posters that disagree with everyone in these threads. Ignore the two posters who claim to be smarter than everyone. Ignore the posters insulting me and telling me to suck on their balls. And for someone profiling a stranger and throwing out personality disorders.....well let's just say you may have described yourself. I wouldn't go around incorrectly labeling a stranger with two personality disorders, claim the other person thinks they are the smartest person in the room, and profile them. What a joke

I don't believe you were around for the Ray Rice thing so I'll give you a pass. The argument I'm advancing is that discipline for non football related crimes should be handled by the courts and any image concerns should be dealt with by the individual teams rather than the league.

Further, I don't think it is the league's responsibility or place to administer justice for the sake of justice. Again, that is for the court. I acknowledge that the NFL has a right to punish unrelated activity, I just don't think they should. The only rational reason for the NFL to administer justice is to protect its image, and if we the unenlightened masses weren't looking to the NFL for justice, it's likely they would not assume the role. A role they are ill-equipped to properly undertake.

Yes they care about their image. If they didn't think it helped them financially, then they wouldn't do it. I'm sure a multi billion dollar industry knows a little bit more about business than you.

Edited by Crayola64

Little Man was at Daddy's house for the week. When he got home and Mom saw the damage, she took him to the doctor. I like to think that she was putting her kid first and took him to the doctor for the right reasons.

Thanks for the clarification! Wow... He had those wounds for a week... MAY have been a series of whippings... Yikes...

@jasonrmcintyre: Holy Cow RT @thebiglead: Adrian Peterson Has Been Indicted on Charges of Reckless or Negligent Injury to Child http://t.co/aNSaYLcrD1

News story giving details

Nick Wright on Twitter: "Anyone with a #HotTake on this that is on either extreme of this story I feel is misguided and under-informed of the true facts."

Don't take offense to what I am going to say. I am not calling anybody or their family members out here. Honestly, I think people may try and sympathize with the abusers because that's how they may rationalize the behavior that may have been done to them. There are a lot of MAYs in that last sentence. Yes, a lot of people/family members on this very board should do time for some of the abuse they partake in. There is no fine line here. We simply all know what abuse is and what isn't. If he spent a week doing this to a 4 year old... My God. Yes, I am outraged. I don't think my outrage is misplaced. Wasn't there anybody to step in, intervene? We can get outraged about a lot of things in society... AP's a common face we see plastered all over our TV sets during football season. Again, I think the moral outrage is appropriate. Here's a guy with fame, wealth, education and influence... And he's doing this? Just imagine what's not being found or reported? The case like what happened in Blackstone, MA is simply horrific. Like Bill from NYC said: "Something that human eyes should never see." So sad, all I can do is pray for people's strength and courage to do the right thing.

I just can't understand AP's defense of how "it happened to him" and "look how I ended up." He ended up a pretty effed up man if he acts this way... A total scumbag and failure, no matter how many yards he is talented enough to run for. He of all people should realize how bad his abuse made him feel. You can't tell me he enjoyed this type of treatment as a child?

I come from an old school family who's momma and poppa used to deal out the "whoopin's" with a wooden spoon. Never, EVER, on my parents' worst day did they ever leave marks like this. This is a textbook case of child abuse. There's disciplining your child and beating your kid into the hospital.

AP is done.

I'm glad your parents didn't leave marks like this, but honestly - I've had worse scratches 5 days after bushwhacking and had to go through a berry patch and much worse gravel rash when I took a spill off my (pedal powered) bike. And I've seen some pretty good bruises left by a belt or a spoon by loving parents who would say they were disciplining in the child's best interest.

I personally think this is taken too far to be discipline, but I've literally seen textbook cases of child abuse and kids beaten into the hospital - so please, let's not exaggerate. This is a kid who stayed with Dad, 5 days later went home, and had marks which led his mom to file a police report after a previously scheduled dr's visit. That's not beaten into the hospital. I think this belongs in family court and family counseling, not criminal charges, honestly.

I agree with Nick Wright who has been following the case that anyone with an extreme viewpoint (either side) on this is not in possession of all the facts.

Those pics are a week after the incident, and they still look that bad...,also, those are just the marks on his legs. Little man also had open wounds on his back, butt and SCROTUM.

Source? I have not seen a report about "open wounds on his back, butt and scrotum".

It takes a good two weeks for scratches and welts to heal if they aren't treated optimally. One of the precepts of parents who buy into the "spare the rod spoil the child" school of discipline is "what good is a whipping if it's numbed first thing?"