Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

YoloinOhio

How can a spanking be negative reinforcement if it doesn't inflict pain? Or are you talking about lasting pain? Injury, I agree.

I doubt DC Tom is as educated as me when it comes to behavioral psychology. But for a stimulus such as spanking to be a negative reinforcement, it would have to be to a degree painful. What DC Tom was trying to articulate, is that spanking has gone to far when you are causing too much pain, enjoying it, creating lasting marks, etc. I think we all know what too much is though, just some of us can't explain it as well as others

Edited by Crayola64

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt DC Tom is as educated as me when it comes to behavioral psychology. But for a stimulus such as spanking to be a negative reinforcement, it would have to be to a degree painful. What DC Tom was trying to articulate, is that spanking as gone to far when you are causing too much pain, enjoying it, creating lasting marks, etc. I think we all know what too much is

If we "all" agreed on what too much is this thread would not exist.

Years ago when my son was 3 (13 years ago), he "blew" in the parking lot of a Culver's (hamburger joint)... I grabbed him and began to carry him to the vehicle where I was going to strap him in the car seat... Just so he couldn't run like a terror all over the place... Man was he putting up a fight! In the parking lot some lady approaches me and says: "Now don't you hurt that boy! You are so much bigger than he is." Oh voy! I said: "I said of course lady, I am trying to get him in his car seat so he doesn't hurt himself... Do you want to help?" Oh my... But I took the critique in stride, she didn't know the whole story. I think a few days ago was the first time I ever went back to that Culver's... :lol: I will never forget that parking lot.

And Billfrom NYC... Very well said!

Parenting is VERY humbling!

It wasn't in NY. Peterson expressed his apologies for leaving marks. Peterson stated that's how he was disciplined as a child.

He said he regretted the injuries he caused.

Seriously, you are now defending Peterson? Those pictures are horrific. The story is horrific. Peterson should be sent to jail. He can tell his sob stories to his cell mate.

Edited by 1billsfan

Also, are we allowed to ask what the kid did? As far as I know, Texas legal code allows the hitting of the child to reprimand and promote their welfare. Maybe he did something really bad.

A four year old isn't capable of understanding the consequences of doing something bad enough to warrant physical abuse.

Tom, in NY this is a felony (Assault 2) if there is a visible physical injury because the "switch" is a weapon. In NY objects are seen as weapons. I wasn't there and I don't know what happened, nor why the mother deemed fit to seek medical attention for her child.

The mere fact that the child had injuries that were not only visible days later but still required medical attention tells me more than I need to know.

When AP got jammed up in a bar, Jim Miller was on Sirius blaming "over-zealous off duty cops." My guess is that AP is just another pampered scumbag. If that kid is injured, I hope that he does lots of jail time.

Jim Miller and most of this board. I though AP was a pampered scumbag back then, now I'm sure of it.

Peterson expressed his apologies for leaving marks. Peterson stated that's how he was disciplined as a child.

Oh well, in that case it's all good.

WTF is wrong with these ppl

Although based on this my mom should hv been indicted a couple hundred times during my youth for hitting me with whatever was in reach...she was like a samurai with a yard stick

Edited by Max997

A four year old isn't capable of understanding the consequences of doing something bad enough to warrant physical abuse.

The mere fact that the child had injuries that were not only visible days later but still required medical attention tells me more than I need to know.

Jim Miller and most of this board. I though AP was a pampered scumbag back then, now I'm sure of it.

Oh well, in that case it's all good.

I didn't say that. It bothers me when someone is condemned based on false information.

You think AP is a scumbag? That's fine. You think he's a scumbag because of something that is untrue, you're wrong.

I doubt DC Tom is as educated as me when it comes to behavioral psychology. But for a stimulus such as spanking to be a negative reinforcement, it would have to be to a degree painful. What DC Tom was trying to articulate, is that spanking has gone to far when you are causing too much pain, enjoying it, creating lasting marks, etc. I think we all know what too much is though, just some of us can't explain it as well as others

Oh, I probably am. And pain doesn't have to be physical. You idiot.

I didn't say that. It bothers me when someone is condemned based on false information.

You think AP is a scumbag? That's fine. You think he's a scumbag because of something that is untrue, you're wrong.

So it bothered you when the Houston cops were vilified after having to deal with an arrogant drunk who refused to leave the bar? Yeah, me too.

In this case there doesn't seem to be much debate that he beat and injured a small child.

So it bothered you when the Houston cops were vilified after having to deal with an arrogant drunk who refused to leave the bar? Yeah, me too.

In this case there doesn't seem to be much debate that he beat and injured a small child.

I don't know this case. So I don't get what you're trying to say.

A useful analogy would be someone saying, "I hate Osama Bin Laden for being a Martian." Then I said, "he's not a Martian."

That's not defending. That's keeping the facts straight.

God knows, we need to keep the facts straight in emotionally charged cases like this.

Edited by FireChan

This seems to support my original view. The grand jury didn't even indict. The DA came back and forced an indictment down the GJ's throat a second time.

http://profootballta...ury-first-time/

Which is evidence of nothing other than our society's continued indifference to violence against women and children. Just look at Rice's 'sentence'; he has to attend anger management class.

I don't know this case. So I don't get what you're trying to say.

A useful analogy would be someone saying, "I hate Osama Bin Laden for being a Martian." Then I said, "he's not a Martian."

That's not defending. That's keeping the facts straight.

God knows, we need to keep the facts straight in emotionally charged cases like this.

I was referring to the last time Peterson was arrested and everyone jumped on the convenient 'over-zealous cops' excuse to give him a pass.

So what allegations are you implying are not true? I don't see how your analogy makes any sense relative to this case.

Edited by KD in CT

Which is evidence of nothing other than our society's continued indifference to violence against women and children. Just look at Rice's 'sentence'; he has to attend anger management class.

So what allegations are you implying are not true? I don't see how your analogy makes any sense relative to this case.

Perhaps the ones I was responding to?

Maybe you didn't read the post I quoted in your race to be snarky.

Edited by FireChan