How long do you give EJ

How long do you give EJ?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do you give EJ to prove himself this season?

• As soon as he starts to struggle
    • Until bye week (8 games)
    • The full season

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full season.

That's roughly 1.5 seasons to see if he realizes his potential on the field.

If it looks really bad and nothing changes in the offseason, Orton starts next year and they draft another project in the mid rounds. Maybe they lose out and get a very early draft pick in 2016 to use on one of the best QB prospects.

I say the full season. Looking over his shoulder all year isn't going to help anything. With that said, we have to wait and see what happens. If it's late in the year and he's absolutely putrid, you of course do what has to be done.

We know that Orton is a bottom 1/3 of the league starter (or at least always was) so it isn't like they should be expecting that playing Orton would make them a playoff team.

I think it is only good business to have EJ play the whole season - unless he is just truly awful. I may be in the minority, but I was encouraged by his rookie performance. 11 TR and 10 INTS - 4 of those INTS came in the Tampa debacle, so the 9 remaining games he had a TD to int ratio of 11-6 - not too bad for a rookie.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Playoffs now. Screw developing a potential QB who has looked like poo so far.

I be we start 1-3 or 1-4 and Orton finishes a game or two before taking the starting nod. The FO and coaches want to WIN. And they need to make sure that Witkins traded draft pick isnt in the top 5

Playoffs now. Screw developing a potential QB who has looked like poo so far.

I be we start 1-3 or 1-4 and Orton finishes a game or two before taking the starting nod. The FO and coaches want to WIN. And they need to make sure that Witkins traded draft pick isnt in the top 5

So lets demote the inexperienced actual EJ for the experienced EJ named Orton? Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

I voted all season.....having said that, I think that if you get near the end of the season, and you are going nowhere.....they you need to find out about others.......give Tuel a game or two to see what he can do......Orton only gets in if EJ gets hurt and you are still potentially going some where. Like it or not, Tuel is our developmental QB...and he needs to be developed if EJ isn't cutting it. It also could come to pass that EJ is getting pounded from lack of protection...and getting him out of there a game or two might be good for him...this in the event the O line is badly overmatched this year. Likely though, this administration gives EJ the whole season.

I picked the full season choice, but I guess it really depends on the size of the struggle.

If EJ looks bad for a game and throws a couple picks, it's not time to panic. If he looks like a bottom-tier QB for a few weeks in a row, I wouldn't blame the staff for trying to save their jobs.

If EJ does have trouble, winning a few more games later in the season isn't going to matter. This whole staff is riding EJ, for better or for worse. There's an old saying: you dance with the one you came with. If he plays well, they all have a good chance of staying with the new owner, and our team should do well. If EJ plays poorly, Orton coming in, in week 7 to have the team go 8-8 isn't saving anyone. Let's just give him the year. Everyone will know then what is what. I don't see the point in putting Orton in unless there is an injury.