How long do you give EJ

How long do you give EJ?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do you give EJ to prove himself this season?

• As soon as he starts to struggle
    • Until bye week (8 games)
    • The full season

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Not arguing that at all, but what is that based upon? Just watched some nice video that pumped me up, but the "low lights" not shown are very perplexing. Hoping he can work into the top half of league QB's and we don't need to spend next year's first.... never mind...

maybe we can find our colin kaepernick/ russ willy/ andy dalton type in the 2nd round or beyond. It happens, occasionally, at least for other teams. Derek Carr has looked promising too for Oakland. Barring him being awful i'd give EJ the season, you've invested a 1st round pick in him and dealt your future 1st away to get him a weapon at WR. You have to give him at least two seasons. Barring him being just utterly awful.

What Madman thinks Kyle Orton will be better than Manuel??? Every QB in Nat Hackett's system has WILTED so far... Peyton frickin' Manning would SUCK under this OC!

As dangerous as it sounds, EJ is going to have to RUN... -Run hard,, run silent, run deep. The sad fact is that NOBODY respects this kids arm. Not even his biggest supporters on this board. EJ needs to establish himself as a running threat before he makes any strides as a passer. A mobile QB provides a dimension that Kyle Orton simply cannot.

I like Orton. He can be third string on any team I own :lol: .. Still the amount of sacks he takes makes for some UGLY-a$$ football. I'd rather risk seeing EJ tuck that thing and RUN.

I wouldn't be surprised if Orton supplanted EJ at some point this season. But that might not mean the end of EJ. Orton is an aging journeyman. EJ is a learning youngster and 1st round draft pick. EJ could potentially sit behind Orton for year or so before taking the reins back from him.

At this point he needs a full season unless he REALLY struggles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Orton supplanted EJ at some point this season. But that might not mean the end of EJ. Orton is an aging journeyman. EJ is a learning youngster and 1st round draft pick. EJ could potentially sit behind Orton for year or so before taking the reins back from him.

Would you really want to go back to him next year if Orton takes over? The thought of that make me cringe, if they replace him during and for the rest of the year it's over and we need to move on.

What Madman thinks Kyle Orton will be better than Manuel??? Every QB in Nat Hackett's system has WILTED so far... Peyton frickin' Manning would SUCK under this OC!

As dangerous as it sounds, EJ is going to have to RUN... -Run hard,, run silent, run deep. The sad fact is that NOBODY respects this kids arm. Not even his biggest supporters on this board. EJ needs to establish himself as a running threat before he makes any strides as a passer. A mobile QB provides a dimension that Kyle Orton simply cannot.

I like Orton. He can be third string on any team I own :lol: .. Still the amount of sacks he takes makes for some UGLY-a$$ football. I'd rather risk seeing EJ tuck that thing and RUN.

The problem is EJ is a terrible runner, he looks slow, doesn't cut well and misses huge holes staring him in the face.

EJ had tenth best rookie season EVER! Choke on that crow... Your assessment is garbage.

yikes rookies are really bad then.

I am not setting time frames for EJ. This isn't on EJ at the moment it is on the whole offense. The questions should be "How long do you give Hackett before moving him on and giving Hostler the reigns?" This offense has just looked so badly constructed in pre-season it isn't even true. As I've said before, could an elite Quarterback cover up the deficincies in the scheme? Sure.... but the vast majority of Quarterbacks, even Superbowl winning Quarterbacks would be exposed in this scheme. It just doesn't seem to focus on what our players do well.

The full season. We have all seen Orton's ceiling - he's a known commodity. He'll turn 32 this season leaving you with a small window to grow with. Manuel is 8 years younger and has shown signs that he can develop into a long-term starter. Assuming Manuel stays healthy we'll have a good 26 game resume. If he proves he's not the guy then we can certainly draft another QB in 2015. I wouldn't even be opposed to packaging a veteran & our 2nd to get back into the first round if necessary.

EJ has a lot of growing to do & he can't if he's on the bench. 2014 is going to be another development year no matter how the Bills FO spins it. I do believe with the ownership change everyone at OBD wants to show well to the new owner. Does a change in ownership mean the FO will back Manuel thru his growing pains? Remains to be seen. I am hoping that they are not this short sighted and let Manuel develop.

I don't like the options. I'd give him the first 4 games almost unconditionally. After that, he'd have to play pretty decently. I'd allow for some growing pains, but I wouldn't throw away the season just to keep testing the EJ experiment.

But there's only 16 of them.

Maybe the best way to view this question is: "How long until Orton is performing better than EJ in practice (against the 1s)?"

'cause at that point you have to play Orton. There's only 16 games.

(( we have to stop thinking of this as year 2 of a 3 year plan. Its year 1 of a 1 year plan. Win. Now. ))

Edited by maddenboy

a lot will hinge on the Oline play.

the kid needs at least an average amount of time to operate the offense, and the runners need average blocking upfront otherwise it doesnt matter who is qb, we won't make the post season.

consider he was a rook who got hurt twice, missed a lot of camp, had injured runners, a new OC with zero nfl experience and a turnstile LG on his blindside, i think he did pretty damn good (except that one tampa game of course).

50 percent of fans are basically giving up on EJ already. Crazy.

This is exactly what I would expect to happen. Face it. People who are still high on EJ are high on him because they analyze him deeply. They see certain things about him like being able to whip the ball a hundred miles an hour way down the field on a really hard throw. They see his physical attributes and are patient hoping the coaches can teach him to correct the things he is not doing well. That allows them to be more patient. They know that if the guy got it straightened out he could really be great, but it will take longer. Could be quite a while longer.

The average fan just judges a QB based on whether the pass was complete or not. They give the QB too much credit and too much blame when things don't go right. Naturally then, many fans are going to think the quarterback must suck because the offense generally sucks. This is why the Bills should have never put themselves in a position where EJ would be starting last year. Now it is a huge risk. Either he performs a lot better right away or else fans are going to start revolting. Most fans are not patient. And I can't imagine why anyone would expect them to be.