TC fights, ineffectual play, is Marrone losing the team?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He obviously hates Woods too.

btw these are Chris Brown's awards but you know he doesn't do anything before filtering it through the Bills.

[sarcasm]

Marrone has input on everything, all media coverage of everything related to the Bills, and all the stadium renovations and the sale of the team and the Bon Jovi Group . . .

It is all Marrone's fault!

Doooooomed!!!

[/sarcasm]

Edited by Why So Serious?

All those teams have bad to inconsistent Qbs. That's why they aren't good.

The Chiefs made the playoffs last year. Reid used to get killed in Philly and now he is beloved in KC. If you win, this stuff gets pointed to as a turning and unitying point for the season. If you lose, Marrone lost the team in camp. It's pretty simple.

Let's just play some real games!

Again, you're misreading my post. With regard to KC, I'm referring specifically to teams that oscillate between bad and decent, not simply last season. Since 2001, the Chiefs have had 5 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons, and 1 8-8 season. The teams I mentioned above exist in that large middle tier of mediocrity, occasionally coming up for air and making the playoffs. The Bills are themselves an outlier in that they haven't made the playoffs in 14 years despite possessing a 32 percent chance (mathematically) each season. That's hard to do.

Edited by dave mcbride

I certainly don't think Marrone is anywhere near Schiano on the Captain Queeg-o-meter, so I'm not too worried.

Love the 50s movie reference. :thumbsup: If Doug Marrone turns into Captain Queeg (played wonderfully by Humphrey Bogart) they're in trouble.

Now, where are my ball bearings?

All those teams have bad to inconsistent Qbs. That's why they aren't good.

The Chiefs made the playoffs last year. Reid used to get killed in Philly and now he is beloved in KC. If you win, this stuff gets pointed to as a turning and unitying point for the season. If you lose, Marrone lost the team in camp. It's pretty simple.

Let's just play some real games!

Reid is bleoved in KC?? His team started 9-0 and finished 2-5 and barely assed into a wild card game where they were utterly humiliated and totally outcoached, blowing a 4 TD 3rd Q lead.

Yes, he is beloved, no doubt.

Except the Bills are a professional football team and not part of the military. The Gunnery is not going anywhere if the recruits attempt to quit on him.

If the players quit on Marrone, Marrone is going to be the one being shipped out.

Not quite. Everyone in the military receives a FITREP (fitness report) based upon his/her performance annually and if the Gunny is not successful in turning individuals into team members through BOTH negative and positive reinforcement, this will be reflected on his/her FITREP and he/she will be as you put it "shipped out".

My point is that I do not believe that a few windsprints or f-bombs directed at players by a head coach will cause players to "quit on them". Maybe some of Coach Tomlin rubbed off on Marrone while he was in Latrobe. Also, having a GM who comes from an organization that doesn't tolerate BS and expects players to play hard disciplined football certainly factors in. Coach Marrone is passionate about turning this team around and I believe that the majority of the players have bought into this. He leads by example and sets the bar high for his coaches and players alike. Only time will tell if he is successful in this endeavor and speculation to the contrary either way is premature. GO BILLS!

Marrone threatening Hughes' spot on the team is funny.

If Hughes were to be cut, he'd find 15 teams interested in his services. Most of them likely to finish with better records than the Bills.

And Marrone doesn't know that ? That Jerry Hughes is an asset to the team ?

of course he does.

Where did this come from? I thought we were doing well at safety?

Wait .

What ?

We are not doing well at safety ? Does Jim S know . How about Donnie H ? Maybe Pagac should get a CC ?

This could be big trouble .

Stenbar i am just teasing you a bit. 0:)

I'd take a playoff victory at this point, even if the offense can't score and it takes 3 Dan Carpenter FG's and a INT returned for a TD by Brandon Spikes to do it.

me too . gladly !

Again, you're misreading my post. With regard to KC, I'm referring specifically to teams that oscillate between bad and decent, not simply last season. Since 2001, the Chiefs have had 5 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons, and 1 8-8 season. The teams I mentioned above exist in that large middle tier of mediocrity, occasionally coming up for air and making the playoffs. The Bills are themselves an outlier in that they haven't made the playoffs in 14 years despite possessing a 32 percent chance (mathematically) each season. That's hard to do.

this is a fact . and seriously hard to do

It cannot be denied .

very seriously i agree the fourteen years is an amazing statistic to consider. I think its the Tampa Bay team at eleven years or something horrid.

We are cursed , the game is fixed , or both ?

on a lighter note

The Ralph has been cleansed , the NFL has changed their collective minds and here we go. Enjoy the ride.

Thank me later

this is a fact . and seriously hard to do

It cannot be denied .

very seriously i agree the fourteen years is an amazing statistic to consider. I think its the Tampa Bay team at eleven years or something horrid.

We are cursed , the game is fixed , or both ?

on a lighter note

The Ralph has been cleansed , the NFL has changed their collective minds and here we go. Enjoy the ride.

Thank me later

i won't forget to thank you. Your sig says it all.

I don't know why anyone is critical of this? It's great to see the players with the fire and Marrone as well. Of course he needs to send a message about discipline because that's often the difference between winning and losing? Anyone see the article about Chip Kelly and McCoy? Kelly had the team wearing the same socks last year and doing all these crazy new routines that McCoy hated. Now he understands and is on board. If Marrone loses the team shame on the team. Sure there will be a new coaching staff but they'll fare no better than the last five staffs. The players need to willingly give up their self-centered independence and become a team if they want to have a chance to win no matter who the coach is.

JohnnyGold I just feel bad you can't enjoy the team any longer. I get as upset as anyone but it is preseason. Yes, we are an average team that will likely find a way to lose more than we win but I suggest you find a new team to root for. There are plenty out there that might not be quite as frustrating (well, I wouldn't suggest the Browns or Jets or Cowboys or Redskins but perhaps the Steelers). And I don't think it's about losing good players. Most of those guys people thought stunk anyway like Whitner, Poz and Lynch (he resurrected his career in Seattle). Others like Peters haven't been that good. We just always have a couple weak spots that prevent us from winning consistently which, I grant you, is annoying as heck each year.

I know this is probably too early but I was wondering tonight if Marrone was starting to lose his team. Some of the players were openly complaining after that fight in camp about being worked too hard. Then this lackluster performance tonight. Marrone appears to be miserable during interviews also. I really hope I'm wrong, but the thought entered my mind.

Judging by their performance on the field...they haven't worked nearly hard enough

That being said, JW did have a few tweets earlier about leadership:

John Wawrow @john_wawrow · 2h

After Marrone had attempted to take leadership role to inspire #Bills, it's quite clear that some on team want to pick up the slack.

John Wawrow @john_wawrow · 2h

And I refuse to blame Marrone here. It's on team leaders to address deficiencies, especially the player who should be leading: The QB.

Honestly it is more on the players at this point. After tonight's game and seeing Goodwin's tweet about being booed and Dixon saying that the fans let the team down because even to start the game we weren't cheering loud enough and again didn't like being booed; I'm over making excuses for them. Have a little pride in your performance and admit that you stunk the cheering out of the game. If you don't like it, put the work in and don't get called for penalties either pre-snap or ones that wipe out gains. At one point we were 1st and 30, 2nd and 35 and 3rd and 40. You expect to be cheered for that?

Another thought, try running more than 4 plays over and over again. Yes I get you don't want to show anything for Chicago and you did precisely that.

I like Marrone even more by saying that they deserved to be booed. We may be working on changing the culture of this team, but the leaders need to talk to Boobie, Goodwin and whoever else and get the to be responsible for their performance...

Edited by Reed83HOF