TC fights, ineffectual play, is Marrone losing the team?

I doubt he said I told you so, but if he did, any coach on any level at any sport would have lit into him. That's an unacceptable thing to say to any coach in that situation.

Not that I believe for a second that he said I told you so.

And Hughes after he said so many days you're gonna have fights, said "I love it! That's what happens, baby!" Marrone got pissed because Hughes said he loved the fights.

Make no mistake, Marrone got pissed because anger is what shows first when a person is incapable of handling something.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King on the Bills: http://mmqb.si.com/2...l-prediction/7/

'Reading lots of stuff from overnight on the league—and seeing so much negative on the Bills and the Browns. The Bills got down 24-0 at the half at home, in newly refurbished Ralph Wilson Stadium. E.J. Manuel looked awful. Sammy Watkins sidelined with a rib injury. Boobirds out in force. News breaks that rotational defensive tackle Alan Branch was busted overnight Friday for being so drunk in his car that he had to stop, open the driver’s door and puke. (Branch has since been cut.) Quite a job you inherited, Doug Marrone.'

'8. You may recall me reporting that, early in training camp, Bills GM Doug Whaley went up to E.J. Manuel at a practice and said to him: “Don’t be perfect. Be a football player.” One view on Manuel is he tries to be too fine, too safe. He was awful Saturday in the loss to Tampa, the Bucs storming out to a 24-0 halftime lead and the crowd at refurbished Ralph Wilson Stadium booing the Bills off the field at the half. After the game coach Doug Marrone said something that I thought was particularly troubling about Manuel. “He tries to pinpoint the ball … and that’s really just difficult to do,’’ Marrone said. “We have all done that when we were kids. You play baseball and you start aiming it. You’ve just got to look at the mitt and throw it.’’ Alarm bells on Manuel.'

'"Doug Marrone and Jerry Hughes exchanged words. The defensive end didn't back down when challenged by the coach about fighting."--the ESPN.com Bills writer, during a Thursday camp practice. That portends trouble.'

______

I'm not saying King is right, but I do have a couple of reactions. Players read this stuff (King is the most famous NFL writer in the country, and his MMQB column is hugely popular), and this sort of thing has the potential to fuel discontent and pessimism within the team. That is, reactions to negative media reports can be self-reinforcing. Secondly, many here think people are overreacting to these particular episodes, but King goes to a lot of camps and watches a lot of preseason games. It just may be the case that these episodes clearly stand out (in a bad way) relative to other teams, which doesn't bode particularly well given that the Bills can't be viewed in isolation.

Just my two cents.

Edited by dave mcbride

"Quite a job you inherited, Doug Marrone."

This is not what he inherited. This is his team, his boys. He picked 'em and "coached" 'em up. This team has way more talent than the 2012 version. He didn't inherit this mess, he helped make it.

Lovie would have made a great fit here with this defense IMO. Get a good OC (heck, maybe even Chan)... and we would be feeling much differently.

Lovie's team looked way better coached and prepared to play Saturday than our boys did, that's for certain.

"Quite a job you inherited, Doug Marrone."

This is not what he inherited. This is his team, his boys. He picked 'em and "coached" 'em up. This team has way more talent than the 2012 version. He didn't inherit this mess, he helped make it.

Lovie's team looked way better coached and prepared to play Saturday than our boys did, that's for certain.

Lovie would have been a MUCH better Coach. Plus, he would bring in a QB that could actually play, not someone who is still learning. I think the best thing for EJ's development would have been the A. Rodgers route, where he could have sat behind a vet for 1-3 years. Well, we have what we have now, if Marrone can't turn this around he'll be gone, if he does, he could be AFC Coach of the Year. Will be interesting, fun and/or aggravating to watch this play out!

I think people are reading into things way to much.

Some fans seem to thrive on having a never-ending drama. Like it's addictive or something. What's made it worse is that this training camp/pre-season has been almost two weeks longer than the normal length.

I get having apprehension about Manuel's franchise QB prospects or Marrone's abilities as a HC, but there's been an awful lot of definitive negative statements made about a team which has not even played a real game yet.

I could never be this way at the beginning of a season because it would literally suck the life out of something I love so much. I seriously still have optimism that the planets are aligning once more, that EJ Manuel will stabilize the QB position this season, that this will be a top 5 defense and that this team will earn a wildcard playoff spot in a weak AFC conference. My main concern is that Hackett is hindering Manuel's progress, but even that concern won't be answered till a few games in.