TC fights, ineffectual play, is Marrone losing the team?

Who was the GM after Levy retired in 2006?

"Brandon was first named to a high-level executive position within the franchise in 2006, being named director of non-football operations alongside general manager Marv Levy. Brandon, although his title did not change, assumed Levy's responsibilities as de facto general manager after Levy retired. Brandon was promoted to CEO upon the hiring of Buddy Nix as the Bills general manager."

Yes, his title was GM but neither Levy nor Brandon did GM duties. The football side during that whole period was being run by Mosrak and Guy. It went Donahoe - Modrak/Guy - Nix - Whaley

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Marrone's on an interstate doing 80 in icy conditions. There's no telling which direction he'll end up going when it's all said and done.

IMO, this comparison is pretty spot on.

It's amazing how many posters are trying to brush this off as being nothing:

• There are fights in other training camps
  • Tom Coughlin - 1995
  • In another thread - used to play 6 pre-seaon games
  • Herb Brooks

They all have big flaws in their argument.

This isn't 1995.

Marrone is not Coughlin or Herb Brooks.

These are professional athletes, not collegiate.

And it sure as hell not the 1970's.

As for the fighting? Yes, there are TC fights on other teams. Happens every year.

But on those teams that have them, how many instances do the players openly criticize the coaching staff?

Or the HC is willing to punish the whole team for the actions of a few?

The next few weeks are critical for Marrone. If he continually keeps the team on the edge and the team opens the season 1-3, it will be on like MOFO, IMHO.

IMO, this comparison is pretty spot on.

It's amazing how many posters are trying to brush this off as being nothing:

• There are fights in other training camps
  • Tom Coughlin - 1995
  • In another thread - used to play 6 pre-seaon games
  • Herb Brooks

They all have big flaws in their argument.

This isn't 1995.

Marrone is not Coughlin or Herb Brooks.

These are professional athletes, not collegiate.

And it sure as hell not the 1970's.

As for the fighting? Yes, there are TC fights on other teams. Happens every year.

But on those teams that have them, how many instances do the players openly criticize the coaching staff?

Or the HC is willing to punish the whole team for the actions of a few?

The next few weeks are critical for Marrone. If he continually keeps the team on the edge and the team opens the season 1-3, it will be on like MOFO, IMHO.

How many instances have there been of players openly criticizing Marrone? You can try to construe the Hughes as criticism, but thats a pretty minor gripe at worst and an observation at best.

As for punishment for the actions of a few, thats common place. Poor performance in game, taking too many penalties, turnovers, lack of discipline often results in the whole team running sprints. Coaches don't discriminate. You win as a team and you !@#$ up as a team.

Yes, his title was GM but neither Levy nor Brandon did GM duties. The football side during that whole period was being run by Mosrak and Guy. It went Donahoe - Modrak/Guy - Nix - Whaley

IRC, it was more screwed up than just Modrak/Guy.

I remember when Levy was hired as GM he stated he was leaving all player personnel decisions to Jauron.

Then when Levy stepped down, the reports came out that Brandon would get the GM title, but when it came to player personnel,

Wilson went with a multi-headed cluster !@#$ that included Modrak, Guy, Jauron, and himself.

Did I miss the memo showing/stating otherwise?

I believe Freddie criticized Marrone for the Steelers group practice as well.

That wasn't a dig at Marrone, and Marrone had nothing to do with setting up the Steelers practices, that was Whaley. Fred said it would be tough, because it was like playing 3 games in a row, didn't say a word about Marrone.

That wasn't a dig at Marrone, and Marrone had nothing to do with setting up the Steelers practices, that was Whaley. Fred said it would be tough, because it was like playing 3 games in a row, didn't say a word about Marrone.

You honestly want to believe Marrone had zero input on the Steelers practice? Feel free.

I'll choose the reality where the HC has some input on those type of decisions.

I really don't see this as a bad thing.

The players got a little feisty. Good! Players need to have some passion, some fight in them.

Marrone reined them in. Good. A coach is supposed to establish discipline.

Let me tell a story about when I was a tank platoon leader in the army stationed in Korea. A group of my soldiers got into a fight with a group of soldiers from another battalion. My battalion commander asked me about the event. I confessed it was true. He told me that it was unprofessional and couldn't be condoned. But then he added, speaking in a low voice, "But tell me something, do your guys win?" I replied in a serious tone, "Sir, we kicked their asses." And he said something to the effect of, "Great!!! The army's too soft these days. We want soldiers who are fighters - who have that warrior spirit!" He also took consolation that the losers were from another battalion, not his.

I think Marrone is like my old colonel. He has to establish discipline but, at the same time, appreciates the warrior spirit.

If the internet didn't exist, this won't be a story. The only people who are considered about this have never played football in their level. This happens at like 75% of camps.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If there wasn't an internet this wouldn't be news? Huh?

The NFL is more wildly popular than ever before. Off-season, preseason, regular season, repeat. There's stuff going on practically 365 days a year and the demand for NFL news and content is only growing.

But it's sophistry to simply say fights happen "at like 75% of camps" so there's ostensibly no issue here. In reality, there's a coach who's telling the team something and some have openly criticized him. That's news whether there's an internet or not.

Who was the GM after Levy retired in 2006?

"Brandon was first named to a high-level executive position within the franchise in 2006, being named director of non-football operations alongside general managerMarv Levy. Brandon, although his title did not change, assumed Levy's responsibilities as de facto general manager after Levy retired. Brandon was promoted to CEO upon the hiring of Buddy Nix as the Bills general manager."

Regardless of title, Brandon had pretty much nothing to do with the picks.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If there wasn't an internet this wouldn't be news? Huh?

The NFL is more wildly popular than ever before. Off-season, preseason, regular season, repeat. There's stuff going on practically 365 days a year and the demand for NFL news and content is only growing.

But it's sophistry to simply say fights happen "at like 75% of camps" so there's ostensibly no issue here. In reality, there's a coach who's telling the team something and some have openly criticized him. That's news whether there's an internet or not.

Anything to bash the Bills huh? :)

You're right. No other camp has fights and no player has ever stated they didn't agree with a coach 100%. It only happened at Pittsford.

Sure he had input. I don't see how that is relevant to what happened yesterday

Its called a pattern. Hughes and Jackson are not Terrel Owens or Ritchie Incognito.

So when players like Jackson and Hughes start voicing their concerns, they will catch peoples attention.

Why? Because that usually indicates something bigger is going on.

Just to clarify. I am not like OP. I do not think this team has gone off the deep end. IMO, Marrone has the team on a line that defines being on the edge and going over the edge.

And he is pushing on that line pretty hard.

Its called a pattern. Hughes and Jackson are not Terrel Owens or Ritchie Incognito.

So when players like Jackson and Hughes start voicing their concerns, they will catch peoples attention.

Why? Because that usually indicates something bigger is going on.

Just to clarify. I am not like OP. I do not think this team has gone off the deep end. IMO, Marrone has the team on a line that defines being on the edge and going over the edge.

And he is pushing on that line pretty hard.

Wasn't Tom Brady screaming at Bill O'Brien a few years ago? That seems a little worse than what is going with the Bills.

Again, if you've ever played football at any level, this happens all the time. Ws epically during training camp.