Stevie Johnson Struggling to Secure #3 Spot with 49ers

WickedGame

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie will do fine, it's preseason with a new QB, his third. He runs strange routes, Kap will get used to it and adjust.

That's what I think, too. He won't have great stats but he'll probably be an important cog.

That doesnt mean we needed him. Our top four are a nice complement to each other.

Not gonna lie.. I thought SJ was a selfish, undisciplined, distraction-machine... I was totally indifferent when they traded his a$$ ... I still am.

That said, I'd take him back IF he gets cut... There's a chance he will have grown from the experience... Maybe focus, and not take stuff for granted so much.

Plus, take a look at our receiver corps... Not saying it's awful, but there's definitely some weak spots in there. Looks like Graham is staying. -Why, I have no idea... Hogan is a hard worker, but I don't see any big-play ability with that guy..... One or BOTH of those guys should go. -Graham STILL can't catch, and there's NO WAY Hogan is better than Stevie at anything whatsoever.

So send him on back Frisco... Let's see if he's changed any...

Stevie will do fine, it's preseason with a new QB, his third. He runs strange routes, Kap will get used to it and adjust.

I'm not a SJ hater, but, isn't it the WR who needs to adjust? You expect a non-Ivy League QB to know where SJ will be on every route vs. all other WR's on the team? That's crazy talk.

kap is a young QB with accuracy issues. Rinse and repeat.

A career 93 plus QBR represents accuracy problems?

No, this is Johnson's issue. He breakdances through his route. It's only going to work with short routes where you release the pass at the end of the route. It worked in buf because that was Chans offense and that was about as far as Fitz could throw it due to his arm and the turn style o line.

wait, after two preseason games stevie isn't in synch with an inaccurate qb?

he must suck then.

funny i remember him as a gamer who produced in the clutch and brought a lot of passion to the game.

i also think if it was 4th and 6 and my life was riding on the first down I'd much rather have stevie getting open and making the play than that punk Crabtree.

his injuries always frustrated me because it seemed like he was always hurt, but you guys are laying it on too thick. he's a very good wideout.

This is some good sarcasm . . . "Clutch" . . . You crack me up, man. That's funny. "My life was riding on it" . . . That's a good one. You'd be one dead mofo. This is hilarious.

Good one.

A career 93 plus QBR represents accuracy problems?

No, this is Johnson's issue. He breakdances through his route. It's only going to work with short routes where you release the pass at the end of the route. It worked in buf because that was Chans offense and that was about as far as Fitz could throw it due to his arm and the turn style o line.

he was 31st in the league in completion percentage. IMO while Boldin was an ideal acquisition the year prior, Stevie was not. Edited by YoloinOhio

Hindsight is 20/20 and the 49ers knew exactly what they were getting with SJ. A guy that could potentially fill the 3rd receiver spot and could be called upon to start without much drop off if the 1 or 2 got hurt. If the cap number for a non-starter was troubling then don't make the deal plain and simple. But SF management saw SJ as someone that could be a productive part of their team which has a focus on winning and getting back to the big game this year, not putting cap hits and budget issues first.

The Bills traded a player that had been productive with some mileage left but the team had also grown weary of his antics and what came off at time a 'me first' attitude. The fact they parlayed the received pick into acquiring players that should help the team now is a real plus.

he must suck then.

funny i remember him as a gamer who produced in the clutch and brought a lot of passion to the game.

i also think if it was 4th and 6 and my life was riding on the first down I'd much rather have stevie getting open and making the play than that punk Crabtree.

his injuries always frustrated me because it seemed like he was always hurt, but you guys are laying it on too thick. he's a very good wideout.

Hungover as **** today and needed the laugh. Thanks!

The opposite of this is accurate.

excellent post caveman. very insightful.

i was in the front row last year watching #13 singlehandedly win us the carolina game getting open and catching passes from a rookie qb in his 2nd game.

and those other three 80 catch 1000 yard. 8TD averaging seasons.

thats easy to do in the NFL playing against top corners week in and week out right?

Is Stevie a standout #1 receiver? No... But I like his game a lot and I would gladly welcome him back. I don't think its gonna happen though

As what? Our #4 Cutting Goodman? Our #5 over Hogan, maybe?

Graham and Easely are fighting for the #6 spot and jobs on S/T.

I like him fine - but we don't have a spot for him - trading him was a no-brainer and it's awesome they got as much as they did.

he must suck then.

You're right about one thing - it is "funny [you] remember him" as "clutch". That's actually hilarious. He was a massive choker, and as you rightly point out, too often injured.

Edited by BobChalmers

Perfect, bring him back to fill Hogan's spot!!

No way this happens. While SJ was popular among some fans it was more than apparent his success really came from Chemistry with Fitz and the freedom to improvise in Gailey's scheme. He is not a fit for Hackett's scheme.

Oh good grief...he's going to be on the opening day roster, he's going to play, and he's going to catch passes for them.

I've seen crazy in the off-season before, but this off-season is like none other in terms of the quantity and quality of crazy on this board.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but where in that article does it say Johnson is "struggling"?

I see:

"Needs to develop chemistry..." Which makes sense in my mind, he missed OTA's there and has had what, 3 weeks of practice?

I also see:

"Making the transition to role player..."

Any ideas where this word is used?