Stevie Johnson Struggling to Secure #3 Spot with 49ers

WickedGame

No way this happens. While SJ was popular among some fans it was more than apparent his success really came from Chemistry with Fitz and the freedom to improvise in Gailey's scheme. He is not a fit for Hackett's scheme.

I was saying that in jest. Obviously, if presented with the opportunity to have either Chris Hogan or Stevie Johnson the Bills (or any team ever) would keep Stevie 100 times out of 100.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if I missed it, but where in that article does it say Johnson is "struggling"?

Any ideas where this word is used?

Not directly but if our #1 WR last year is fighting for a #3 spot, it is pretty damning

"There are questions in San Francisco whether Johnson has even locked up the No. 3 receiver job. Asked about Johnson's role Thursday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman simply said the team "doesn't put numbers on them.""

I was saying that in jest. Obviously, if presented with the opportunity to have either Chris Hogan or Stevie Johnson the Bills (or any team ever) would keep Stevie 100 times out of 100.

I am not sure it is that obvious. How effective is a WR who runs his own routes and doesnt give the QB a sense of security regarding where is going and where he will be when the ball arrives ? Stevie may be able to juke CBs but he jukes QBs too. If Hogan gets playing time, I would like to see his route running, his hands and how he fights for the ball. I have seen enough of SJ to know that he cannot be the center of an offense. Role player at best.

I am not sure it is that obvious. How effective is a WR who runs his own routes and doesnt give the QB a sense of security regarding where is going and where he will be when the ball arrives ? Stevie may be able to juke CBs but he jukes QBs too. If Hogan gets playing time, I would like to see his route running, his hands and how he fights for the ball. I have seen enough of SJ to know that he cannot be the center of an offense. Role player at best.

I was waiting for this. They are both role players!! The difference is 1 has played a role effectively and the other has 83 career yards. So a team would take a guy that has 20 catches in college (Monmouth) and the NFL combined over a guy with 3 1,000 yard seasons? Seriously?!??!?!? You're better than that.

I was waiting for this. They are both role players!! The difference is 1 has played a role effectively and the other has 83 career yards. So a team would take a guy that has 20 catches in college (Monmouth) and the NFL combined over a guy with 3 1,000 yard seasons? Seriously?!??!?!? You're better than that.

You do make a fair point. Perhaps what I should have stated and didnt was that (1) Stevie may not be comfortable as a role player (2) His salary is too high for that position on the team

I have SJ's autograph and believe he really worked hard to where he is today. But his position in the WR corps grew fast at the Bills due to their serious shortage of talent. With most teams, he would be a #3 at best.

You do make a fair point. Perhaps what I should have stated and didnt was that (1) Stevie may not be comfortable as a role player (2) His salary is too high for that position on the team

I have SJ's autograph and believe he really worked hard to where he is today. But his position in the WR corps grew fast at the Bills due to their serious shortage of talent. With most teams, he would be a #3 at best.

I don't disagree with any of that. Stevie is best served playing a Welker type of slot role IMO. He could be deadly doing that and becoming a possession guy. He is not a threat to burn you deep but throwing him little slants and curls he could be valuable. If Stevie were on my team I would use him how most teams use their TE (at least outside of the redzone). His work would be between the hash marks and every so often he would apply pressure to the safety up the seam.

Link here

Or, as I like to call it, "Buy low, sell high, watch the bubble burst."

So when I hear Shoop and his dog on WGR going off on EJ, and telling all that he had enough weapons last year, I note that in fact he had two rookie receivers, neither a first round pick, and a "number one" in good old Stevie, who probably won't even survive the cut and could only be counted on to drop a big pass or fumble away a game

So when I hear Shoop and his dog on WGR going off on EJ, and telling all that he had enough weapons last year, I note that in fact he had two rookie receivers, neither a first round pick, and a "number one" in good old Stevie, who probably won't even survive the cut and could only be counted on to drop a big pass or fumble away a game

Stevie certainly has had some memorable drops and fumbles. I still remember potential game winning or sealing events that never came to pass against the Steelers, the Jets, and the Falcons because of Stevie. Were there other games too?

Maybe Stevie needs to go and play in Houston where Fitz is the only QB in the league smart enough to know where Stevie is going.

I used to believe this (kind of) but now I wonder if Fitz just threw the ball toward some general area and Stevie got himself there.

Stevie is talented but his creative freelancing was hard on EJ and is apparently hard on Kap too.

It's sad that some people seem to take pleasure in this. SJ is a good guy who has said nothing but positive things since he left.

And it's not even the real season. All this talk means nothing at this point.

Great post- spot on. There's a great tendency here to praise training camp superstars like Hogan, yet bash players like Spiller or SJ. SJ loved being a Bill, and was productive for this team...yet he gets castigated for it.