ESPN- Spiller could be traded soon

Frez

I was just watching sports center and the ESPN analyst said Buffalo will NOT keep four RB's going into the season. Look for the Bills to unload CJ Spiller before the season starts according to him.

This could get interesting...........

Trade for another player or trade for an extra draft pick for next season?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, because obviously it could, but if it were going to happen why wouldn't they have one of the other guys (Dixon, Brown) practicing/playing more time with the 1's? When Lynch was going to be traded, his 1st team reps were severely cut almost like the writing was on the wall.

CJ needs to sign a fair extention or a 2nd rd pick could be tempting. The Bills have leverage with depth at RB

Waiting till he is a FA or franchise tag would be crazy (see Byrd result)

Edited by ALF

I think the Bills will do it for either a capable QB, a 1st Rd. pick next year, or even a 2nd round pick next year. The current regime hasn't been able to utilize Spiller like Chan did. They don't seem to want to try, either. Jackson and Brown are the types of RB's Hackett wants to scheme around. Maybe they are afraid they will either have to pony up big dollars to keep Spiller after this season, or they are worried that he might lose his trade value if he has another sub-par year statistically speaking.

Fred Jackson has been great and I really like him as our #2 RB. I think he is one of the best in that role, but does anyone really think that we should pin our hopes on a 33 year old starter at RB? I don't see anyone I'm excited about behind him either. I would not be surprised if this was CJ's agent's way of drumming up an offer to get CJ out of town and on a team willing to give him a long term deal now.

I don't see why they would trade him, personally. They should do the bulk of their running with FJax and Brown, use CJ as a Bush/M. Faulk type, get him in space, use him as an offensive weapon. Not just run him up the gut. But I guess they have their plan.

I don't see Dixon as a real running back, I see him as more of a halfback (FB/TE hybrid)... has Dixon been getting many running plays in camp?

I was just watching sports center and the ESPN analyst said Buffalo will NOT keep four RB's going into the season. Look for the Bills to unload CJ Spiller before the season starts according to him.

They want to win this season right? Why would they trade him unless they get a 1ST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE FOR 2015. That is the price that would need to be paid to trade CJ.

At least when we traded Marshawn he was clearly not the best back on the team.

I have to wonder if they are thinking of leaning on Brown hard. FJax has had problems staying on the field the last few years, and I love the guy, but he is kinda old. Dixon, I just don't see as anything other than a short yardage/blocking back.

I have to wonder if they are thinking of leaning on Brown hard. FJax has had problems staying on the field the last few years, and I love the guy, but he is kinda old. Dixon, I just don't see as anything other than a short yardage/blocking back.

Why are they burying him at 4th string though? Boobie Dixon has been ahead of him all TC, IIRC.

Kirk Cousins or 1st rounder. Otherwise I'm good. Learn how to use him Hackett. I know it may take some special additions to your rigid playbook to throw in a few middle screens, but good coaches know how to utilize their talent.

Kirk Cousins or 1st rounder. Otherwise I'm good. Learn how to use him Hackett. I know it may take some special additions to your rigid playbook to throw in a few middle screens, but good coaches know how to utilize their talent.

Even just having him run a route out of the backfield that crosses through the middle or something would be great. Hit him in stride as he burns a LB and let him be free.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, because obviously it could, but if it were going to happen why wouldn't they have one of the other guys (Dixon, Brown) practicing/playing more time with the 1's? When Lynch was going to be traded, his 1st team reps were severely cut almost like the writing was on the wall.

That's an excellent point. Plus, ESPN sucks.

so maybe trade CJ and Fred-EX?

Throw in a draft pick and the hoody* would trade Mallet to us.

My idea would be keep everyone and try to at least win 7 games this season. Which would be considered a good season in these parts.

For the record, I don't want Spiller going anywhere.

But I've got complete faith in Whaley, something I haven't said about our FO for a long time. If he's gonna move him, chances are he knows the cost of re-signing him are low.

Who was this analyst? When talking about something said on ESPN it really makes a difference. If it was John Clayton, then maybe there’s something to it. If it was someone like Mark Schlereth or Herm Edwards, then there’s probably not. Those guys just like to hear their own voice. A lot of those guys make a bunch of off the wall predictions this time of year so when/if one comes true, they can say I told you so.

Either way, it just wouldn’t make sense to trade him unless a team blew us away with an offer. Despite the belief of some, he didn’t do all that bad last year, especially considering he had a bum ankle for a good portion of the season. 933 yards at 4.6 ypc plus another 185 yards receiving on 33 catches ain’t too shabby when splitting carries 50/50 with another RB.

I know he missed a bunch of holes/cutback lanes early in the season but as the season wore on; he seemed to get more comfortable. I want to see what he can do in the 2nd year with this blocking scheme and certainly don’t want to ship him off for any less than a 1st (which we won’t get for him unless the owner is drunk…looking at you Irsay & Jerry) or maybe a 2nd plus another pick.

We kept 5 backs last season (including the 2 FBs) so I don’t see why we can’t/won’t do it again this season.

Unless they got a 1st round pick for him (they won't) trading him would be dumb. It's a contract year for him, he's going to play hard to try and get a big contract. We need him to make the playoffs

No team is trading a 1st for a RB in today's NFL. I'd like to get a 3rd and a 5th round pick back personally.

Most of you guys seemed to have missed the bigger picture. There was a reason the team traded a 4th round pick and get Bryce Brown and it wasn't to cut him or have him sitting on the sidelines. Allowing CJ to move on has been the plan since before the draft. This team isn't paying a BR 7/8 million a year when they feel they can pay two or three guys the same amount together.

or could not

No team is trading a 1st for a RB in today's NFL. I'd like to get a 3rd and a 5th round pick back personally.

Most of you guys seemed to have missed the bigger picture. There was a reason the team traded a 4th round pick and get Bryce Brown and it wasn't to cut him or have him sitting on the sidelines. Allowing CJ to move on has been the plan since before the draft. This team isn't paying a BR 7/8 million a year when they feel they can pay two or three guys the same amount together.

Sorry, but you are wrong. If the plan was to move on they would have traded Spiller to the Eagles in the Bryce Brown trade instead of telling Philly to kick rocks.

Where did they get that information?

Where did they get that information?

Most reporters these days seem to interpret things in order to spin stories. A big quote recently is that Marrone only plays 2 back systems and being Freddie and Brown are under contract after this year it seem that means CJ Spiller has no spot on this team long term so he should be traded. Toss in there was talk that the Eagles made inquiries about Spiller earlier this offseason and about the time CJ2K was being dangled the Bills were inquiring about him and/or dangling Spiller. Personally I don't see him going anywhere but then again I thought we'd be wise keeping SJ13 around for this season and he got moved.

Edited by The Jokeman