Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like

Rubes

Late June and early July. Sports wasteland. So, since movies seem to be a hot topic, how about this one:

What movies that you know are truly just bad movies are you completely embarrassed to admit that you like?

I'll start it off. Just saw some movie called "Pitch Perfect" while channel surfing. The synopsis sounded ridiculous, but Anna Kendrick was in it, so I braced myself and forced my way through a few minutes. I ended up watching the whole thing. Just not a good movie, and I'm not even close to the target audience, but for some insane reason I liked it. Totally embarrassed to admit that.

I also just saw "Pacific Rim" the same way. What a complete mess that movie is, although I guess the special effects are pretty amazing. But despite being described by one critic as "all the unpredictability of professional wrestling plus the magic of synchronized Stairmasters," for some reason I just can't stop watching it. Please don't tell anyone.

Okay, you're next.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late June and early July. Sports wasteland. So, since movies seem to be a hot topic, how about this one:

What movies that you know are truly just bad movies are you completely embarrassed to admit that you like?

I'll start it off. Just saw some movie called "Pitch Perfect" while channel surfing. The synopsis sounded ridiculous, but Anna Kendrick was in it, so I braced myself and forced my way through a few minutes. I ended up watching the whole thing. Just not a good movie, and I'm not even close to the target audience, but for some insane reason I liked it. Totally embarrassed to admit that.

I also just saw "Pacific Rim" the same way. What a complete mess that movie is, although I guess the special effects are pretty amazing. But despite being described by one critic as "all the unpredictability of professional wrestling plus the magic of synchronized Stairmasters," for some reason I just can't stop watching it. Please don't tell anyone.

Okay, you're next.

Pacific Rim is at 72% on Rotten Tomatoes with 254 critical reviews and an average score of 6.7/10. I don't really think that qualifies as a truly bad movie. It also has a 7.1 rating on IMDB.

Edited by Fingon

Pacific Rim is at 72% on Rotten Tomatoes with 254 critical reviews and an average score of 6.7/10. I don't really think that qualifies as a truly bad movie. It also has a 7.1 rating on IMDB.

We could talk for hours about that over a beer sometime: the difference between a good movie (or song) and a popular one...

Starship Troopers. Some of the worst acting of all time, but I still love it. It is a cult classic though, so I don't know if it qualifies. I've owned it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray.

Edited by Mark80

I am sorry to say

Action -- The Quick and the Dead --------(Stone/Hackman/Crowe)

Comedy -- The New Guy

I could not be more embarrassed, but I will continue to watch them when they are on.

We could talk for hours about that over a beer sometime: the difference between a good movie (or song) and a popular one...

Except in this case the Rottentomatoes score is an average of movie critics and the IMDB one is an average derived from movie fans. So it's not only popular but it's also deemed good by critics. Grown Ups is an example of a truly bad movie that is popular.

Maybe not, but I still consider it a pretty bad movie, all things considered.

I disagree wholeheartedly on Pitch Perfect.Love that movie, but I do not think it is a bad movie....I think it is really good!

But I also watch Glee cause I like it, so there's that.

The Flash Gordon from late 70's with the Quenn soundtrack...that is just god awful and I love it.

I disagree wholeheartedly on Pitch Perfect.Love that movie, but I do not think it is a bad movie....I think it is really good!

The Flash Gordon from late 70's with the Quenn soundtrack...that is just god awful and I love it.

Dude.

Early '80s actually. Absolutely likable, just for Brian Blessed's over-the-top performance. Includes the worst line in the history of film, too: "Flash! I love you! But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!"

Maybe not, but I still consider it a pretty bad movie, all things considered.

But that is how you perceive it.

Overall "Pacific Rim" is a well liked movie, and your original point was to pick a film that is overall considered to be terrible.

If this thread was about movies that you think are overrated, then that would be fine.

Edited by Mark Vader

Yikes. Delete the evidence ASAP. I don't want you to have to call your lawyer and make TBD look silly.

Edited by FireChan

But that is how you perceive it.

Overall "Pacific Rim" is a well liked movie, and your original point was to pick a film that is overall considered to be terrible.

If this thread was about movies that you think are overrated, then that would be fine.

The exact wording was "What movies that you know are truly just bad movies". Perhaps you interpret that as meaning what is generally voted on by the public as such, but I don't. And I certainly didn't mean "overrated".

But feel free not to participate if you don't agree.

Yep, there's that.

Bio Dome

Eragon. It's awful and I love it. I'll watch it whenever it's on TV and I even own the piece of $#@%.

I watch it only because I read the books ... I wish they had finished up w/ all of them

Wife watches Pitch Perfect a lot. and yes, so do I

now if it only had some nudity .....

Battleship, seen it a dozen times

Sorcerers Apprentice

and :blush: The Ugly Truth

God how I love the vibrator part - jump to 55 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vg28HCW6WY

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The exact wording was "What movies that you know are truly just bad movies". Perhaps you interpret that as meaning what is generally voted on by the public as such, but I don't. And I certainly didn't mean "overrated".

But feel free not to participate if you don't agree.

I guess I misinterpreted your meaning. The thread title is: "Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like".

To me that means movies that are generally to be considered by an overwhelming majority of people that they are terrible.

So when you said "Pacific Rim", that is a movie that I and others here don't necessarily see as a terrible movie.

When I think of a terrible movie, I think of something from "Mystery Science Theater 3000", like "Eegah", "Invasion of the Neptune Men", "Manos: The Hands of Fate", "Ring of Terror", "I Accuse My Parents", "Monster A-Go-Go", "Danger: Death Ray" or "Castle of Fu Manchu".

But I see where you are going with this thread, and it sounds a bit more subjective than what I was thinking. Hope you understand more of what I meant.

Gotta go with 'Saving Silverman'.... looking back it was a funny but insipid movie, but I'll watch it any time it comes across a cable if I'm flipping through... I was up early 3 weeks ago and 'Eraserhead' was on one the Showtime channels... First saw that movie in '82... and well it was strange then, still today... 32 years on...

I love pitch perfect. The musical numbers are great; I actually downloaded the last two finals songs. If anyone likes that movie, you should check out old clips from the acapella TV show "the sing off"-- which was pretty much the best singing show out there.

I really like niche movies like that, which feature a peak inside some odd world (eg, pitch perfect, drumline, spellbound, king of kong).

I may be incorrect, but I think I saw that they have axed the sing off.

I watched that show. DVD delay to FF through the personal side of the groups.

Sing off was more enjoyable than the other singing shows IMO. Not sure why it didn't catch on.

Seemed liked they rushed thru the seasons.

it seems rushed because they don't show the VERY BAD auditions

I watch the others only in the beginning to see the horrible acts.

I know there are several films I really enjoy that others would deem awful:

"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"

"Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"

"The Blair Witch Project"

"The Village"

Sing off had the best judges too-- eg, Ben folds, Shawn stockman from boyz2 men, sara barellis-- who gave real substantive comments.

The show was just great music by real musicians.

I think they canceled it, but now run it for like 2 weeks around Christmas.

Yep me and the lady loved it. So many good groups. Sara bareilles and Ben are great fun judges.

Some of those Ivy League guy groups were awesome. Let's not lose all our credibility like plezmd and say we enjoy glee.

But #bringbackthesingoff