Potential veteran QBs available next year

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not going to happen, but we would all get that feeling Chris Matthews had running down his leg if Tom Brady came to the Bills next year. Let's not kid ourselves. It happened with Drew Bledsoe. It happened with Lawyer Milloy, it is happening with Spikes, and it would happen with Brady.

Edited by Peter

As someone who wanted Manuel last year, very surprised that we didn't take a chance on a QB this year. What staff sees their #1 draft pick injured 3 times in one season and says "now we don't need to draft QB for 10 more seasons!"

Maybe the thought the QBs in this draft weren't that good. most of the NFL agreed with this not being a great group by where they were drafted.

As someone who wanted Manuel last year, very surprised that we didn't take a chance on a QB this year. What staff sees their #1 draft pick injured 3 times in one season and says "now we don't need to draft QB for 10 more seasons!"

Give or take 9 seasons.

I don't know who you would want them to draft. Besides Bortles I'd be surprised if any one of them lasted more than 4 years

If EJ had played like Ryan Leaf in his first year, I would buy looking for a QB next year in free agency. If EJ misses 6 more games this season due to various injuries, I would buy looking for a QB next year. Regardless of all that, Brady will retire a Patriot. Eli Manning has been up and down on a team that had a ton of talent at WR and TE. Why would you want someone on a downward slide in terms of performance? Bradford, Smith, Palmer, Vick, and Schaub are all solid NFW's. They've done NOTHING to prove that they would be helpful to this team any more than what we already have. Dalton has 80 TD's to 49 INT's in 3 seasons. There's absolutely nothing that anyone could say that would convince me that he's one and done without the playoffs this season, and certainly not by virtue of a 5th round draft pick. That doesn't have the "writing on the wall" on it at all. Borderline numbskull commentary there. In terms of Romo, if they wanted to put the pressure on him, they would have drafted Manziel. Just more low brow logic there. Could have just titled this thread "chances of winning the Powerball lottery" as it would have added about as much value.

I think pretty much all of the guys mentioned are under contract. I thought that we were throwing out names of people that COULD become available? Tony Romo signed a giant contract for example but if Dallas is 6-10 and about to rebuild what sense does it make to pay a 34 year-old QB $20M? I thought that is we were identifying people that for one reason or another could hit the market? Most of them are extremely unlikely but I could see 1-2 of those guys out there.

No Saint schooled me on this recently...Romo's dead money is massive over the next couple years...It's the exact reason they passed on Manziel...Romo is going nowhere any time soon...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

No Saint schooled me on this recently...Romo's dead money is massive over the next couple years...It's the exact reason they passed on Manziel...Romo is going nowhere any time soon...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

Maybe he is a bad example then. I was just throwing names out of guys that I could see coming available. Bradford & Alex Smith seem like the most likely but I don't know their contract situations either.

If EJ has a real poor year, more than likely they'll blame it on coaching (and could be correct) fire the OC and bring in another one and give EJ at least one more year. You don't give up on a #1 draft pick after two years. He would have to have and absolutely horrible season to do that.

Gabbert was effectively done as a starter in Jacksonville by the end of his 2nd season, and the vet chad henne was brought in. It can happen.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If EJ had played like Ryan Leaf in his first year, I would buy looking for a QB next year in free agency. If EJ misses 6 more games this season due to various injuries, I would buy looking for a QB next year. Regardless of all that, Brady will retire a Patriot. Eli Manning has been up and down on a team that had a ton of talent at WR and TE. Why would you want someone on a downward slide in terms of performance? Bradford, Smith, Palmer, Vick, and Schaub are all solid NFW's. They've done NOTHING to prove that they would be helpful to this team any more than what we already have. Dalton has 80 TD's to 49 INT's in 3 seasons. There's absolutely nothing that anyone could say that would convince me that he's one and done without the playoffs this season, and certainly not by virtue of a 5th round draft pick. That doesn't have the "writing on the wall" on it at all. Borderline numbskull commentary there. In terms of Romo, if they wanted to put the pressure on him, they would have drafted Manziel. Just more low brow logic there. Could have just titled this thread "chances of winning the Powerball lottery" as it would have added about as much value.

Just curious, what were the odds prior to last season you would have placed on Schaub being out in Houston, and ending up on Raiders the next season?

10 seasons? How about one where he actually plays?

Of those you mentioned, Bradford, Smith and an outside chance of Dalton would be my picks based on potential and based on the fact that except for Dalton, both Smith and Bradford would merely be holding a spot for the next Franchise QB....allllll of that said and out of the way, based on the BILLS trading their 2015 1st Round pick, I too believe the BILLS are all in on EJ for at least the 2014 & 2015 season, if he stays reasonably healthy. If he gets seriously injured or he is abysmal in his games this year, then maybe the BILLS do something like what you posted, otherwise, I don't see anyone of worth or value donning the BILLS QB position until 2016, but here's to seriously hoping that NEVER becomes an issue, until EJ's HOF career is over with so...13 more years??

To your second statement, I can't say that I'm a super champion of gay rights or anything of that nature, but in today's modern society, I'm pretty much your statement has no place given that many posters on this board have pictures of women, sometimes visually appealing women, in their avatar. So, why even make a statement such as that? It's his avatar, let it be...you don't like it? Don't pay attention to it and leave it alone. You have every right to NOT like it, but I'm pretty sure you have no right to insist someone else change their avatar based on your personal beliefs, politics, religion, etc. Just a thought for social tolerance.

If he wants to be gay that's his business but having to look at something that most people find uncomfortable we shouldn't have to endure.

My god, you make 0 sense. You hate on EJ yet you want Alex Smith? The same Alex Smith who threw 1 tds, 11 ints, and 50% of his passes as a rookie? but obviously EJ, who was 10 times better than Smith as a rookie, can't improve. :rolleyes:

Also, Hackenberg's family would like to thank you for ruining his NFL career for putting your curse on him. Signed, Casey Paschall, Landry Jones, John Skelton, etc.

the thread was about who you would want if EJ flounders, trying paying attention genius or are you to busy trying to hate on me every chance you get.

Maybe he is a bad example then. I was just throwing names out of guys that I could see coming available. Bradford & Alex Smith seem like the most likely but I don't know their contract situations either.

Right...Romo is an extreme example I'm sure...I would imagine any of the QB's that got the $100 million deals over the recent couple years will be tough to release...

Alex Smith is a UFA after 2014...Bradford is a UFA after 2015... :thumbsup:

Right...Romo is an extreme example I'm sure...I would imagine any of the QB's that got the $100 million deals over the recent couple years will be tough to release...

Alex Smith is a UFA after 2014...Bradford is a UFA after 2015... :thumbsup:

Thinking though if Houston found someone to take Schaub's 8-figure contract and give them a draft pick, a lot of the contracted guys in the OP have the same potential

Maybe the thought the QBs in this draft weren't that good. most of the NFL agreed with this not being a great group by where they were drafted.

Compared to where they were drafted last year you couldn't be more wrong.

To the point of this thread...no retread QBs for me. We have this conversation each off season. If a QB is good he is retained by his team or traded. QBs hitting FA are not ones that you want starting for your team.

Someone will chime in with Brees (injured, Rivers waiting in the wings) or Manning (injured, Luck waiting in the wings) but, please, don't let the exceptions to the rule let you believe that there will be a vet QB worthy of turning the keys to next season.

This is EJ's team. His success will lead the team to success. His failure will lead to another rebuild (this one under new ownership).

Put all your chips on EJ (like the FO did) and hope that he's able to lead this team forward.