Where Were You?

News today of Van Miller being inducted on to the Wall of Fame this season led me to think back on all the amazing games he called. This led me to start thinking about how I could use the Bills schedule for the last 30 years to recall where I was and what was going on in my life at that point in time. The one that stood out the most as I reminisced was “The Comeback.” I was listening in the tiny living room of my second apartment, just off Main St., in the small western New York village of Livonia. In retrospect, I would not have had it any other way...

Despite the fact the game was blacked out, my pre-game ritual was completed without a second thought. Chips and dip were spread out on the coffee table in the hideous ceramic sombrero serving dish, along with veggies, cheese, and sliced pepperoni. I had a can of beer at the ready as Van started the broadcast with “Fasten your seat belts, its playoff time” As soon as I heard the kick-off, I popped the tab.

The next hour was painful to listen to as Miller calmly, almost dejectedly, described the scene, as Warren Moon shredded our defense. I listened in quiet shock as Miller made the call of Haywood Jeffires’ touchdown with less than 20 seconds left in the first half. 28-3, bad guys. The bright little Christmas tree still sat in the corner of the living room in stark contrast with my dark mood as I looked out the window at the grey sky.

In what was likely a profanity laced tirade, I responded to the call as Kenny Davis nearly fumbled away the ensuing kick-off. My fiancee, completely over this experience at this point, had gone to the bedroom to gather laundry. As she walked back into the room she tried to convince me to turn it off and hang out with her at the laundry mat, where I could relax and finish the Dean Koontz book I was reading. Just like any other Bills addict, I wasn’t having any. I rationalized “I just want to see if they can make a game of it. It can’t get any worse, right?”

I helped carry the laundry over and ran back to the apartment, cutting through snow covered yards. I jiggled the key in the lock and walked through the door just in time to hear Miller announce Bubba McDowell’s interception return of Frank Reich on the Bills first possession of the 2nd half. You could hear the silence in the stadium through the broadcast. John Murphy, who was the color analyst at the time, added insult to injury as he informed all of us listeners, that in addition to Jim Kelly being out with a knee injury, the hip pointer that had been bothering Thurman Thomas for a few weeks had caused him to be removed from the game. “Couldn’t get any worse, huh? Maybe I should have just stayed at the laundry mat,” I muttered to myself. As I listened on, unable to turn away, and waiting desperately for something good to happen, Miller announced the mass exodus from Rich Stadium with Bills now trailing 35-3.

Then, the unthinkable happened. It started with a short drive that culminated in a Kenny Davis touchdown off of a great block by Jim Ritcher. Next, there was the “Suicide Onside” recovery by Christie. A few plays later the call with Miller’s voice rising as he exclaimed “Sails it long... Beebe at the 10, at the five, in for the Touchdown!” I remember thinking, “Ok, another one and this will at least be respectable.” With the score 35-17, I also started to do the thing all of us football fans do at that point in a blowout. I considered time remaining and the seed of an idea that we could actually come back sprouted.

The Bills defense, with Pro Bowler Cornelius Bennett on the sidelines with an injury, came alive. Behind some strong play led by Darryl Talley, they forced the Oilers to punt and you could hear the excitement rising in Miller’s voice. I remember Murph describing the scene of the fans who had left the stadium climbing fences to try and get back in. With an Andre Reed touchdown reception, the stampede continued and the sprout began to grow into a firm belief that we would pull it off. At 35-24 we were now within two scores and we weren’t even into the fourth quarter.

It was one big play after another with Miller’s calls getting progressively more exciting. When I heard “It is... INTERCEPTED by Henry Jones!” I could clearly recall screaming at the top of my lungs “Run it back Henry, run!” As Van announced “The crowd is in a frenzy!” I remember having been right there with them. My excitement continued to grow into a crescendo as I stood with my eyes closed, and fingers crossed, when the Bills went for it on 4th down late in the third. I erupted with joy when I heard “Reed for the touchdown!”

After the Reed touchdown the Oilers drove down the field and looked to extend their lead again. Yet the big plays kept coming and Miller put us all right there. When the D stood tall holding them to a field goal attempt, I sat on the couch chanting “Block it.” Time stood still from the point at which Miller announced the botched snap to the point when Tally recovered it. When Kenny Davis ripped through the line and galloped through the Oilers defense, you could hear it in his voice that he wasn’t just telling us to believe, he believed it himself. You could almost hear the relief in his voice when he announced Andre Reed’s third touchdown of the day to take the lead late in the fourth.

Even then it still wasn’t over. The roller coaster continued and the emotions of Bills fans everywhere began to sink again as the Oilers tied the game with just a few seconds left, to force overtime. However, even when the Oilers won the toss and got first possession, something happened that you just don’t see in the Bills faithful today. Rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop and expecting to lose... they believed. They believed that their team would find another big play. They believed because Van told them to believe. That belief was rewarded as Miller exclaimed “INTERCEPTED by the Bills. It is picked off by Odomes.” All Bills fans know what happened next. When Steve Christie booted in the game-winning field goal on the next series, the comeback was complete and Miller had called the greatest comeback in playoff history.

So... Pick a game and think about it, where were you?

Mods - I considered adding this to the Van Miller Wall of Fame thread but I felt that the Miller announcement was only the impetus for the idea of how games can trigger specific memories and emotions. If you feel it is appropriate to move it, feel free.

Edited by faderphreak

I'd like to say thank you for this. I own the NFL greatest games version of the game on DVD and watch it occasionally. Unfortunately it doesn't have Van on it. It's the normal CBS/NBC commentators. I'd give almost anything for a copy of it with Vans calls.

Thank you. I too would give almost anything to have a copy of that call myself. I still have my vhs copy that I had a friend record for me. Even though I haven't had a VHS player in more than a decade I have not been able to throw it out.

Awesome write up! I remember I was watching the game, and we got so far behind and I was so dejected, my mom and dad made me go with them to the mall to pick out a washer and dryer at Sears. I wasn't happy about it, but I had no say being an adolescent at the time. I had largely written the game off at that point as 'game over'. Then, to my happy surprise, I hear over the radios in the electronics department that the Bills were within striking distance...the rest is history. What a crazy day that was!

I'm so jealous of my parents for being at that game. The way my mother tells the story of my stubborn ass of a father refusing to leave is what got me hooked on Kool Aid.

If I had a time machine and could only visit one one event in the past, I know where I would be. Gettysburg Address? Nope. Signing of the Declaration of Independence? Yeah right. Fall of the Berlin Wall? As if. Without hesitation I would be there.

I had to work that day.

I was still in High School and was working at Service Merchandise as seasonal christmas help. The awesome part was that I worked in the electronics department, and most of the 50+ TVs were tuned to the game. It was super busy all day, and it sucked having to help customers being as dejected as I was early on. Then it sucked even worse when the game got interesting and I couldn't stay glued to the TV. I vividly remember nodding at customers without hearing what they said, while only paying attention to the screen over their shoulder.

I'm in Chicago, so I didn't hear Van. We only had the national broadcast.

I was there. I think our season tickets were in section B-26, about 20 rows up at like the 15 yard line on the Bills side. We decided to stay through the half, but that interception return for a touchdown was serious gut check time. My brother and I decided to stay for one more possession and the rest is history. Amazing game!

I had just reported aboard the CGC Mohawk stationed in Key West, FL. The crew was mostly gone on leave so I ended up at an beachside Enlisted Man's club on the Navy base as the only one there in Bills blue. Be assured I took a lot of flack in the first half but I never considered leaving. I did chose to dull the pain by partaking of too many oversized 90 cent kamikazes from a bartender I would later affectionately dub "Satan."

So I am a bit fuzzy about the comeback itself, only a few moments crystal clear. Instead I have a clear memory of an emotional ride such that my enthusiasm won over the squids around me and they began pulling for the Bills to finish the miracle and by the time they had I was voiceless.

Of all the strange places I have watched playoff games (Cuba, Kuwait, Coast Rica, the Bering Sea and other numerous times at sea) that is easily my favorite memory.

I had just reported aboard the CGC Mohawk stationed in Key West, FL. The crew was mostly gone on leave so I ended up at an beachside Enlisted Man's club on the Navy base as the only one there in Bills blue. Be assured I took a lot of flack in the first half but I never considered leaving. I did chose to dull the pain by partaking of too many oversized 90 cent kamikazes from a bartender I would later affectionately dub "Satan."

So I am a bit fuzzy about the comeback itself, only a few moments crystal clear. Instead I have a clear memory of an emotional ride such that my enthusiasm won over the squids around me and they began pulling for the Bills to finish the miracle and by the time they had I was voiceless.

Of all the strange places I have watched playoff games (Cuba, Kuwait, Coast Rica, the Bering Sea and other numerous times at sea) that is easily my favorite memory.

Please, elaborate...

I watched it in Indy. Taking down the Christmas decorations. Called home to ask the family what they thought about the win. They thought I was pulling their legs. Could not believe the Bills won. Great game.

Living in Dansville, NY at the time, our local cable company proprietor was a Bills fan and routinely aired bootleg feeds of blacked out Bills games. Some were so 'hot' no commercials played. When there was a timeout, the cameras stayed at the broadcast and the announcers prepped their video replay for return from commercial or the camera stayed on the Jills! Ha! Seriously! So we watched the 1st half, then went out to play street hockey in the driveway. My son went in to check and came back and said 'it's 35-3, do you want me to turn off the vcr?' "Nah, leave it running. I guess this is our comeupence for 51-3.." So glad I said that! The rest is history and I have it from the live feed. Thanks again, to the now defunct Dansville cable operator!

Was there...walked around like a zombie at halftime trying to be thankful for the two straight Super Bowl appearances. Most lasting memory is that a big percentage of our crowd - virtually the entire end zone crowd - went nuts after we scored to make it only 35-10. I was confused and thought these people either don't know football or had too much to drink. They knew better than I.

I was 14 years old and having dinner at my grandparents house--- they lived on Abbott Road just 5 minutes from the Stadium, so it was always an event even if I wasn't attending the game. I remember my grandfather said I should turn off the radio but I refused because I was a masochist even then... and somewhere inside, I still BILLieved, as always.

Anyway, my mother happened to be shopping with our cousins at the McKinley Mall and the sporting goods/hat store was showing the game on the big TV they had out front, which eventually attracted dozens of shoppers. I listened to the very end, but my mom watched the entire 4th quarter live with a bunch of strangers...

Please, elaborate...

Oh nothing sinister, she just made very large, very strong drinks at EM Club prices and enjoyed watching the sailors get trashed. Our way to cut down on the cost of getting drunk on a Coastie's pay in a tourist town was to "Go see Satan" before we hit the bars on Duval Street. 15 minutes and 10 bucks later we were ready to go.

Thank you. I too would give almost anything to have a copy of that call myself. I still have my vhs copy that I had a friend record for me. Even though I haven't had a VHS player in more than a decade I have not been able to throw it out.

You know it is possible to convert that VHS to a DVD. There are DVRs (like some Toshiba models) that let you edit your material and then burn DVDs from it.

But Van's call of the game was only in the stadium, wasn't it?

At the time, I was living in N. Canton, Ohio, and was driving back there while the game was on. The radio signal faded before the game finished, though.

I was watching the game on satellite at a friends house because the game was not sold out in Western New York so it wasn't on local TV.

This was also the time before everybody had a Direct TV satellite dish and the NFL ticket.

My friend had spent the better part of the morning trying to locate the signal to Orchard Park from his NASA size satellite dish in his backyard.

We were watching and listening to the game and the strange thing was when the commercials came on the tv screen went black, yet we could hear the play by play announcers talking about the game and using some colorful language to describe how the Bills were playing.

We could also hear other reporters talking about where they're going to stay in Pittsburgh next week, and again all sorts of other colorful things.

We should have recorded this because nobody would really believe this story but its 100 percent true.

By halftime we were totally depressed and felt like we weren't going to go to another Superbowl this year so we proceeded to drink heavily and eat to our hearts content at the buffet our host had set up for us.

But then as you know the second half didn't start good either and Frank Reich threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown and we could see the mass exodus from Orchard Park on TV.

We thought I will give him one more series and the Bills scored it was then 35 to 10 and before we know it the Bills has scored 3 more touchdowns and Western New York was rocking, the sleeping giant had awoken.

Fans that had left at half time were coming back to the stadium, security refused their ticket, so they started climbing the fence, it looked like a jail break. Finally, security called Mr. Wilson on the Batphone, who promptly told them to let everyone in.

When the Bills lined up for the winning FG, and then made it, we went absolutely crazy and started throwing each other in into the hot tub, mind you it's January,

We had created our own fandamonium down in Jamestown.

I remember Van telling us to Billieve!!!!

It was pandemonium, fandemonium and it was created By Van Miller.

Thanks Van!

Edited by oman128

I remember that game as if it were yesterday. I was in Tampa, still single with a buddy of mine who was also from Buffalo. We were at the Frat House (wing house and bar with the best looking girls as waitresses).

We were getting so down after the first half accelerating our pitchers of beer. We high fived so many times in the second half, I remember us stating were driving to Pittsburgh the next week for the game. Of course we didn't as that is about an 18 hour drive, but what a game.

Every once in awhile I still go back and watch those highlights.

Thanks for starting the thread. Maybe we can have more of those games with the new regime this year or the next.

I was in the stands. We were talking about leaving but figured we would stay a little longer. Thank heavens I missed Vans call at the time but I have heard it since

I too was in the stands. Woke up that morning and my dad was complaining about the game not being on TV. Finally after a while I said, get your coat dad, we'll go get tickets. We found a scalper looking to unload. He had two different sets of tickets. Agreed to sell me one set, then switched them. I took two steps, looked at the section #, walked back over to him and grabbed the other ones from HS hand, I don't think so.

We sat in the 12th row, at the goal line scoreboard end, where bills scored the 4 3rd quarter TD's. I truly wanted to leave at halftime but my dad would ave none of that. At 35-3 I was let's go. He said we'd go at the end of the 3rd. Glad I listened to my dad.

I was living in the mid-Hudson valley and the house was really in a valley with terrible TV reception. After trying the multiple antenna and tinfoil tricks I drove to a crossroads bar that was open with almost nobody in it except me and the bartender. I almost left at halftime, but, what the hell, it was the last Bills game I would see until next year so I stayed. Glad of it. Making a lot of noise in a place that was empty except for echoes. The bartender thought that I was a crazy man.

Thanks for the write-up Fader; that was really great.

That game is indelibly etched in my mind. I was living in Houston, and I watched the game by myself in my miserable apartment near the old Astrodome (this was pre-internet days, before I discovered the Bills Fan Club at Sam Sansone’s bar in West Oaks). For some odd reason, my sister had given me a blues-harp harmonica for Xmas when I was home in Buffalo the week before. As the game got completely out of hand with the Bubba Mcdowell pick, I slumped into my living room couch and started idly blowing some notes on the harp. Sure enough, the Bills go right down the field and score. Hmm … a few more notes and they get the ball back and score again. What the … ?? I’m playing that thing like crazy now, and Henry Jones picks off Moon!! Pretty soon, I am rolling on the floor, wailing on that harp; I was like Howlin’ Wolf and Elwood Blues combined …

Bills come all the way back and win. In a frenzy, I tried to call home, but all the lines to Buffalo were JAMMED! I thought that only happened in the 1930s. Tell me, what other town could jam all the phone lines over a football game? :worthy:

So I went out on my rickety apartment balcony with my Bills sweatshirt and hat on, and just start screaming abuse at Houston -- everything I could think of. Of course this was Houston, where nobody ever goes outside, but it still felt good.

As for that blues harp, goddamn thing failed me against Dallas a few weeks later …

You know it is possible to convert that VHS to a DVD. There are DVRs (like some Toshiba models) that let you edit your material and then burn DVDs from it.

But Van's call of the game was only in the stadium, wasn't it?

At the time, I was living in N. Canton, Ohio, and was driving back there while the game was on. The radio signal faded before the game finished, though.

As an audio post production proefessional I have access to some of the higher end gear for that kind of transfer. I actually considered it a time or two in the past. However, the tape was not a virgin tape when the game was recorded. I suspect my buddy's mom had been using it to tape her "stories." It is probably about the same video quality as the signal some saw with their rabbit ear antennas back in the day. At this point it just has sentimental value. I smile every time I come across it, with it's faded sticker and my step mother's handwriting labeling it "Stupid Bills Game." She was a Miami fan and she labeled it that way one day when I suspect she was looking to find a tape to record an episiode of M*A*S*H or something.

As an audio post production proefessional I have access to some of the higher end gear for that kind of transfer. I actually considered it a time or two in the past. However, the tape was not a virgin tape when the game was recorded. I suspect my buddy's mom had been using it to tape her "stories." It is probably about the same video quality as the signal some saw with their rabbit ear antennas back in the day. At this point it just has sentimental value. I smile every time I come across it, with it's faded sticker and my step mother's handwriting labeling it "Stupid Bills Game." She was a Miami fan and she labeled it that way one day when I suspect she was looking to find a tape to record an episiode of M*A*S*H or something.

As long as you know it can be done. But Van's audio - is that only over the PA at "Rich Stadium"?

Stupid Bills Game - LOL!

Have you ever seen the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray has recorded over his wedding video to tape a Giants game? Great stuff.

I had to work that day.

I was still in High School and was working at Service Merchandise as seasonal christmas help. The awesome part was that I worked in the electronics department, and most of the 50+ TVs were tuned to the game. It was super busy all day, and it sucked having to help customers being as dejected as I was early on. Then it sucked even worse when the game got interesting and I couldn't stay glued to the TV. I vividly remember nodding at customers without hearing what they said, while only paying attention to the screen over their shoulder.

I'm in Chicago, so I didn't hear Van. We only had the national broadcast.

Service merchandise?! That is old school. I totally forgot about that store.

I was there with my father. He had worked with ex Bills LB Scott Radecic's father in law and we got a hold of some good seats next to him that way. By 35-3 (right after the 2nd half pick six) the father in law had seen enough and decided to leave. You could tell Dad felt really pressured to get the heck outta dodge too but stubborn 21 year old me would have none of it. Next was the "C'mon youre crazy if you think they could....." etc. etc. In those times we had seen that team do enough amazing things with consistency that I did Billieve. Sure enough, the nearly impossible outcome was acheived... Never again will a victory (even a Super Bowl) feel quite that special to both my father and I, that's for sure...

Edited by 34-78-83

Was at the game. At half time, put my head down in my lap, looked up at my brother and said, only half kiddingly "this could be our finest hour"

My eyes got a little wet reading your rehash of Van's game call.

I'd like to say thank you for this. I own the NFL greatest games version of the game on DVD and watch it occasionally. Unfortunately it doesn't have Van on it. It's the normal CBS/NBC commentators. I'd give almost anything for a copy of it with Vans calls.

I think the only way you could have heard Van call that game was on the radio. Van only did the radio broadcasts for regular season and playoff games. Occaisionally, you will see an NFL Films highlight clip from the Comeback, with Van doing the play by play, but that audio would have been takes from the radio broadcasts.

I have to admit, I was never a huge Van Miller fan growing up. But, I think part of the reason was that if I was listening to Van do the games, it meant that I wasn't seeing the Bills game, but having to settle for listeing to them on the radio. For the same reason, I never appreciated Rick Jeanarett as much, back in the days when Ted Darling was doing the Sabres.

Now, when I hear John Murphy (sorry, I think he is alright, but kind of dull) I appreciate him a lot more. In fact, I listen the John Murphy show (or at least part of it) almost every night, and the opening with Van Millers' calls, jumbling players from all different eras, gets me pretty excited. Love that the first guy he mentions is Cribbs...from my favorite era of Bills football.

For me, the Van Miller moment was probably the 1981 game against the Patriots. I had season tickets that year and used to bring a transister radio with me (I was that guy, people in my section seemed to appreciate it)... I remember, Ferguson had thrown a pic in the final minutes, everyone was booing him...people started filing to the exits....not me (have only left a Bills game early, twice, in 100+ games)...but the Bills defense held, and got the ball back for one last desperate attempt to pull the game out... the Bills got about 35 yards, down to the Pats 35 yard line or so... it looked like they had time to try one, maybe two, long passes to the endzone to pull it out. I just remember three Bills recievers (Butler, Lewis , maybe Cribbs) runnig down the right side of the field and getting absolutely swarmed by about six Patriots defenders....one of Pats linebackers swatted the ball, it went up in the air, and Roland Hooks seemed to come out of nowwhere to grab it out of the air, for the wiinning touchdown....Van was just screaming "OH MY...ROLAND HOOKS!!!" People started rushing back from the concourse to see what all the commotion was about..

A little taste of Van...I realize this isn't necessarily the greatest Bills moment...but if you want to hear him call a game...and realize, this is actually the 1981 Wild Card playoff game against the Chargers, not 1979 as the clip is labled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn4Xz8lrXA

Edited by Buftex

I think the only way you could have heard Van call that game was on the radio. Van only did the radio broadcasts for regular season and playoff games. Occaisionally, you will see an NFL Films highlight clip from the Comeback, with Van doing the play by play, but that audio would have been takes from the radio broadcasts.

I have to admit, I was never a huge Van Miller fan growing up. But, I think part of the reason was that if I was listening to Van do the games, it meant that I wasn't seeing the Bills game, but having to settle for listeing to them on the radio. For the same reason, I never appreciated Rick Jeanarett as much, back in the days when Ted Darling was doing the Sabres.

Now, when I hear John Murphy (sorry, I think he is alright, but kind of dull) I appreciate him a lot more. In fact, I listen the John Murphy show (or at least part of it) almost every night, and the opening with Van Millers' calls, jumbling players from all different eras, gets me pretty excited. Love that the first guy he mentions is Cribbs...from my favorite era of Bills football.

For me, the Van Miller moment was probably the 1981 game against the Patriots. I had season tickets that year and used to bring a transister radio with me (I was that guy, people in my section seemed to appreciate it)... I remember, Ferguson had thrown a pic in the final minutes, everyone was booing him...people started filing to the exits....not me (have only left a Bills game early, twice, in 100+ games)...but the Bills defense held, and got the ball back for one last desperate attempt to pull the game out... the Bills got about 35 yards, down to the Pats 35 yard line or so... it looked like they had time to try one, maybe two, long passes to the endzone to pull it out. I just remember three Bills recievers (Butler, Lewis , maybe Cribbs) runnig down the right side of the field and getting absolutely swarmed by about six Patriots defenders....one of Pats linebackers swatted the ball, it went up in the air, and Roland Hooks seemed to come out of nowwhere to grab it out of the air, for the wiinning touchdown....Van was just screaming "OH MY...ROLAND HOOKS!!!" People started rushing back from the concourse to see what all the commotion was about..

A little taste of Van...I realize this isn't necessarily the greatest Bills moment...but if you want to hear him call a game...and realize, this is actually the 1981 Wild Card playoff game against the Chargers, not 1979 as the clip is labled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn4Xz8lrXA

Great post Buftex and thank you for the video linky. A few things I would like to say and maybe one of you old timers can answer this? The kicker for the Chargers at one time was gravely ill with either liver/kidney disease and is he still alive? Also, speaking of the Comeback Game I remember at one time I had it on VHS only to be replaced y the DVD a few years ago and wanted to know with the unedited version and the call from Charlie Jones and Todd Christensen if anyone remembers when they were cutting to a commercial break there was some lag and Jones made a smart azz comment about the Bills as if he were upset that they were making a comeback only to see another round of postseason play again? It was as if Jones wanted Houston to win.

not at the game, but I did seed the entire game on TV the next day.

Someone got hold of a VCR tape and brought it to a bar on Ridge Road in Irondequoit.

I was there with as many people you could pack into the place to watch it. Like goint to a bar for MNF! it was great.

IIRC my brother in-law went to the game, left in the 3rd QTR and had to climb a fence to get back in. obviously the Bills couldn't allow that so they reopened the gates to let the idjuts back in.