Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, ya never know with this team. This could easily backfire on the team should Williams find more trouble. The Bills seemed determined to bring in trouble with wanting DeSean Jackson, Kenny Britt, and don't forget they brought in Da Rick Rodgers last year.

OTOH, Every good team has at least two top WR's so opponents can't double or triple one of them. This move should help make the offense become much more explosive...provided they all stay healthy. Plus give EJ more options to throw to.

While I like the move, a lot depends on how everything else works out for the rest of the off season, the draft ect.

Not every good team has at least 2 good WRs. Unless of course, Golden Tate is now "good". Good enough for a stupid team to over pay for a marginal talent, sure. But he's not good. The Seahawks pretty much played the entire year with zero "good" WRs.

These get rid of SJ threads are embarrassing. Part of me wants SJ to go to another team where fans would fully embrace him. He put up 3 1,000 yard seasons in a row with a qb who struggled to throw the ball 10 yards down the field. He never gets in trouble off the field & loves being a Bill. But now that we got a giant knucklehead, let's get rid of our best wr. Makes sense.

This…I fear that the football gods will read these posts, just shake their heads and say to one another "Nope, they are not yet ready to have a winning team…charge them another year - no playoffs"

It makes me wonder just what to heck we are going to draft in the first round? I can't see an o-lineman with the 9th pick.

Jim Kelly had 4 Pro Bowl O-lineman and a 5th who should have been. the game is a lot easier when you have time to throw and holes to run through.

Thurman Thomas and Kenny davis were both 2nd round picks. andre a 4th, bebee a 3rd.

a franchise QB AND ALL PRO OFFENSIVE LINE is the key to success. you can fill in rb's and wr's later.

Not every good team has at least 2 good WRs. Unless of course, Golden Tate is now "good". Good enough for a stupid team to over pay for a marginal talent, sure. But he's not good. The Seahawks pretty much played the entire year with zero "good" WRs.

Seattle have up 14 pts/game and could run the ball down everyone's throat. Unless we can do that, we need 2 good WRs. At least.

Right now, Stevie Johnson is not expendable. Stevie is still the #1 receiver on this team. Woods is expected to pass him, but when? It could be in training camp or it could be next year. Williams has a lot of baggage with him. You've got to see whether he gets his act together before making a commitment with him.

Even if Stevie does get passed on the depth chart, I'd ask him about restructuring his deal before cutting him. Losing talent at WR is not what the team needs.

Bingo.

Some fans, I tell ya..

Why does a thread about SJ13 turn to Graham?

Graham is a plug and play WR who can backup any position on the field. He may not have starter quality but he is talented and fast. You can't coach speed. He has shown more dependency then Goodwin, as well. That does mean something. There are two or three other likely cuts before Graham, including Easley. Easley is a solid special team player, that will be and should be his saving grace.

2013 WR Depth Chart:

Stevie Johnson

Mike Williams

Robert Woods

TJ Graham

Marquise Goodwin

Marcus Easley

Barden Ramses is 6'6" 224#. A wildcard who could show up in preseason and earn a spot.

Kevin Elliot will have something to prove but even if he does that could land him on PS.

Brandon Kaufman and Cordell Roberson are both tall WR's that could end up on PS as well.

--

The thing with TJ Graham is that he knows every position at WR in his experience and would be a valuable backup for this role. With concerns over Mike Williams and SJ13 having some ailments that will come in handy should just one of them go down. Goodwin being oft injured is also a factor and he is only in his second year. I'd rather have him for the long haul - 3 or 4 more seasons - then over run him and break him down.

Graham on the roster for at least one more year - that's all I am asking.

Why does a thread about SJ13 turn to Graham?

Graham is a plug and play WR who can backup any position on the field. He may not have starter quality but he is talented and fast. You can't coach speed. He has shown more dependency then Goodwin, as well. That does mean something. There are two or three other likely cuts before Graham, including Easley. Easley is a solid special team player, that will be and should be his saving grace.

2013 WR Depth Chart:

Stevie Johnson

Mike Williams

Robert Woods

TJ Graham

Marquise Goodwin

Marcus Easley

Barden Ramses is 6'6" 224#. A wildcard who could show up in preseason and earn a spot.

Kevin Elliot will have something to prove but even if he does that could land him on PS.

Brandon Kaufman and Cordell Roberson are both tall WR's that could end up on PS as well.

--

The thing with TJ Graham is that he knows every position at WR in his experience and would be a valuable backup for this role. With concerns over Mike Williams and SJ13 having some ailments that will come in handy should just one of them go down. Goodwin being oft injured is also a factor and he is only in his second year. I'd rather have him for the long haul - 3 or 4 more seasons - then over run him and break him down.

Graham on the roster for at least one more year - that's all I am asking.

With all respect, have you been watching the same TJ Graham as I have? He has been a bust with a capital B.

With all respect, have you been watching the same TJ Graham as I have? He has been a bust with a capital B.

Yes, and I don't want to bog up this thread with TJ Graham stuff.

TJ Graham has a number of threads about him, and a lot of studies done on his play. Over half the throws made to him were poorly thrown and deemed uncatchable. The other half were seldom that good anyway and not between the numbers or in the zone.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/21/5433138/should-the-bills-replace-tj-graham Here you can go view every ball thrown to TJ Graham. Watch how often he was wide open and didn't even get a look because the QB didn't look, didn't have time, didn't take time, didn't try, whatever.

Graham is not horrible.

Stevie isnt expendable yet, but I do fear this coaching staff doesn't value him very much and his days are numbered after this season. Even though he isn't a true number one, I really do like him a lot. Still one of my favorite players and seems to actually like buffalo and has loyalty. I really hope he has a good season this year and maybe he takes a pay cut/restructures because I would like him to stay longer in buffalo. Bills need to bring in a number one still, but I would like to see stevie stay. Say what you want, but he is a decent player and he loves buffalo. Only excuse people have for hating him is because he is over paid and he likes attention, which is silly compared to the crap other players get away with.

TJ Graham has a number of threads about him, and a lot of studies done on his play. Over half the throws made to him were poorly thrown and deemed uncatchable. The other half were seldom that good anyway and not between the numbers or in the zone.

http://www.buffaloru...place-tj-graham Here you can go view every ball thrown to TJ Graham. Watch how often he was wide open and didn't even get a look because the QB didn't look, didn't have time, didn't take time, didn't try, whatever.

Graham is not horrible.

Interesting...point taken.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/21/5433138/should-the-bills-replace-tj-graham Here you can go view every ball thrown to TJ Graham. Watch how often he was wide open and didn't even get a look because the QB didn't look, didn't have time, didn't take time, didn't try, whatever.

Graham is not horrible.

Good stuff Jboyst. I am also glad that you did not put my least favorite player as a viable option to make the team. I am waiting for someone to make that case so that I can lose my mind :)

I'm not trying to get rid of him but I don't see how we are going to be able to use both of these WRs effectively. I read earlier that this trade may be an indicator that the Bills may want to get rid of Stevie. Cutting him isn't a solution because it would only be a savings of about $25,000.00 against the cap. The article offered that after this season it would be a lot more advantageous for the Bills. I don't know if a trade would be feasible but if so I'd be talking to Pettine over in Cleveland if so, they could use a #2 WR like Stevie.

yuuup, trade for an okay number two, and get rid of your number one . . . that makes perfect sense

The only receiver expendable with the Williams acquisition is Chris Hogan- he serves no logistical purpose on the roster whatsoever. Cutting Stevie (which is a reoccurring theme on TSW) does not offer any cap relief of note (at least for 2014). Woods, Goodwin, and yes even Graham are young with upside. Bardem, Roberson and Kaufman have great size. Easley's special teams work is impressive. And even Elliott showed promise before his injury last preseason. Thusly, if there is a WR that should be jettisoned- it has to be Hogan, who is as useless as teats on a bull.

The only receiver expendable with the Williams acquisition is Chris Hogan- he serves no logistical purpose on the roster whatsoever. Cutting Stevie (which is a reoccurring theme on TSW) does not offer any cap relief of note (at least for 2014). Woods, Goodwin, and yes even Graham are young with upside. Bardem, Roberson and Kaufman have great size. Easley's special teams work is impressive. And even Elliott showed promise before his injury last preseason. Thusly, if there is a WR that should be jettisoned- it has to be Hogan, who is as useless as teats on a bull.

But he tries hard....

Interesting...point taken.

TJ Graham is a universal tool at WR. He is not a Swiss Army knife nor a Leatherman. He is a Target brand universal tool. Some times Target has good value.

Good stuff Jboyst. I am also glad that you did not put my least favorite player as a viable option to make the team. I am waiting for someone to make that case so that I can lose my mind :)

His speed, his talent - both belong on the team. His abilities may not. His effort and work ethic belong. His potential may not be enough anymore.

Certainly his window is closing and the ceiling becoming clearer as his career continues. He is a viable option to make the team because he deserves to make the team should cuts be tomorrow.

I could still see this team swinging for the fences with Mike Evans in the first. At that point, I do not know what to think. I'd still keep Graham because we'd not need those bottom rung guys who just have size.