Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

Graham is as good as gone.

Hogan should be the first to lose a job here. Drop the guy at the bottom of the depth chart (minus Easley who I assume is safe).

Will be interesting though - I know many around here bought the core special teamer argument and it's possible we end up keeping a gunner in Easley over a receiver like Barden when the numbers shake out.

I'm amazed at the notion that we should get rid of our best WR because he isn't best enough.

And in favor of another teams baggage, to boot.

Given its a 6th and absolutely no guaranteed dollars, there's even a way that it could play out that Williams continues his behavior of not showing up to team activities in time and getting his name in the news for the wrong reason and he ends up not making the 53. The cost to acquire him was that low.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Williams thread, I figured SJ would be traded. Looking like the odd man out in Marrone/Whaley new WR world.

Is that why they brought Stevie to the airport to pick up Mike Williams? Sounds pretty harsh to make a guy pick up his replacement then dump him.

Edited by Fingon

Why are other teams allowed to have multiple good WRs but the Bills aren't? If they both perform well this year and help this team win, they both deserve to get paid. If that happens, I won't be worried about how the Bills pay them. I doubt Bears fans are saying Jeffery or Marshall should be traded because only one can be paid. I am sure they would do what they can to keep both. I am of the opinion that we try to keep the players who perform well in this system, If they don't... THEN get rid of them. The Bills can decide the money part. I don't want to part with Stevie if he helps the team win. He could be a difference-making player in the slot when he isn't always the #1 target. He causes problems for DBs with his style and in the slot he won't be up against the top corner of the opposition to boot. Trading him for a draft pick that would be mid-round at best seems counter-productive, you don't know what that player will become and you may not get his value to this team back in return. He has has some non-clutch moments but let's see what happens when he isn't the #1 WR. The critical part isn't always him, it is the scheme and his connection with the QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This^

Stevie will play his natural position, slot receiver. Woods and Williams will play on the outside with Goodwin as a weapon like Tavon Austin.

This sounds like a real offense. Woods, Stevie and Williams with Goodwin the deep threat. The rest of the WRs really are just filler. If Williams can keep it together and we get a TE who can catch AND be a blocker for our great RBs, we have our offense. Add that TE in the 2nd or 3rd and upgrade the OLine in the draft and we have our offense settled.

Next year is the year it makes sense to deal with the keeping Stevie issue, not this year.

I highly doubt it. The addition of Williams allows them to move Stevie into the slot full time which is where they feel he fits best. Letting Stevie operate out of the slot will really be an asset for this offense. His defining trait is his ability to abuse CB's with his route running; he's an "ankle breaker" to borrow a basketball term. Also, WR's in the slot are much tougher to jam at the line which is another bonus. Then there is the fact he will be facing the defense's nickle back (3rd CB) whom is usually the least talented defensive back on the field.

They will have Mike Williams and Robert Woods on the outside with Stevie Johnson wreaking havoc out of the slot. Johnson has the talent to become a Wes Welker type player in that role.

Then again, he could be a very valuable asset come draft time for teams desperate for WR help *cough* Carolina *cough*. I said it in the Williams thread: I will take a proven NFL player nearly every time over drafting a kid who has not done a lick against NFL defenses. Stevie is a known commodity that has produced consistently against some of the best CB's the NFL has to offer. You can't say that about Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin. I wouldn't just give him away but I would definitely be listening to offers if I was Whaley.

Sorry, not knocking Stevie, he is a good player. But his contract is too bloated for his talent. It would have to be a very stupid GM to trade for his contract, and other than former Bills GMs, there are not that many stupid GMs out there. Stevie should just stay here this year considering his contract.Next year is a different story, but deal with it then, not now.

Yes. Plain and simple yes. Woods was going to take over as the true #1 this year. Woods is more talented, and busts his ass, he is going to be our #1 WR. If Williams can step up and be what he can be, he is better than woods and Stevie. Stevie right now from a pure talent standpoint is 3rd at best on this roster AND has the highest cap number. Yeah I can see him being tradeable come the draft. Maybe they keep him and he rotates in, but his salary is pretty high to do that

SJ was expendable before the Williams trade.

Agreed 100%

Williams hasn't proven himself here yet. SJ ran for 1000 yds three years in a row with an injury year last year. What is the obsession with the guy who schooled Revis Island for three years. I just do not understand it. Why get rid of your best WR? Williams has done nothing yet.

Cut Stone hands Graham and Hogan. A 4 WR set with Williams and Goodwin on th e outside and SJ and Woods on the inside should be potent.

Regarding the threads for Evans, we just answered that with this acquisition. The news out of Tampa is claiming Evans will go to Tampa now as Watkins will get picked in the top 6.

Now we can pick Ebron or a RT. I would rather have Ebron as a stud along with Chandler, and a RT, and G in rounds 2 and 3. Rds 4 and 5 we can take the BPA hopefully a decent RB and LB. I love Fred but he is getting older so groom a young stud. The only last problem is a DE. Not sure what to do there. Maybe Hughes and Lawson could fill that hole.

Right now, Stevie Johnson is not expendable. Stevie is still the #1 receiver on this team. Woods is expected to pass him, but when? It could be in training camp or it could be next year. Williams has a lot of baggage with him. You've got to see whether he gets his act together before making a commitment with him.

Even if Stevie does get passed on the depth chart, I'd ask him about restructuring his deal before cutting him. Losing talent at WR is not what the team needs.

These get rid of SJ threads are embarrassing. Part of me wants SJ to go to another team where fans would fully embrace him. He put up 3 1,000 yard seasons in a row with a qb who struggled to throw the ball 10 yards down the field. He never gets in trouble off the field & loves being a Bill. But now that we got a giant knucklehead, let's get rid of our best wr. Makes sense.

Can we quarantine all the SJ "haters" in one thread so we know who to mock when he's dancing in the end zone ?

SJ hater hater here. Embarrassing stuff IMO.

Check out SJ's last tweet. Flying to Buffalo sitting next to the legend Andre Reed & getting laced with knowledge. Cut this Richard now!!!

Btw, the guy played a game after his mom died the day before. And some of you are trying to get rid of him? Embarrassing.