Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

I'm not trying to get rid of him but I don't see how we are going to be able to use both of these WRs effectively. I read earlier that this trade may be an indicator that the Bills may want to get rid of Stevie. Cutting him isn't a solution because it would only be a savings of about $25,000.00 against the cap. The article offered that after this season it would be a lot more advantageous for the Bills. I don't know if a trade would be feasible but if so I'd be talking to Pettine over in Cleveland if so, they could use a #2 WR like Stevie.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No room for wr's on roster ? Woods Williams Stevie are top 3 w Goodwin situational is what one would assume?

Williams had 200 yards last year, lets no take it that far. Competition will be good for all parties involved.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I'm not trying to get rid of him but I don't see how we are going to be able to use both of these WRs effectively. I read earlier that this trade may be an indicator that the Bills may want to get rid of Stevie. Cutting him isn't a solution because it would only be a savings of about $25,000.00 against the cap. The article offered that after this season it would be a lot more advantageous for the Bills. I don't know if a trade would be feasible but if so I'd be talking to Pettine over in Cleveland if so, they could use a #2 WR like Stevie.

In the Williams thread, I figured SJ would be traded. Looking like the odd man out in Marrone/Whaley new WR world.

Cutting him only saves $25000 to $500000 against the cap this year. However, I have seen, cutting him this year saves us $7 million plus next year against the cap, fyi.

I don't see any advantage to cutting Stevie right now. For better or worse he is our #1 receiver. Williams is a nice and relatively cheap pick up, if he pans out but Marrone said, he"...has the size and athleticism to add competition to our receiver position group." Not exactly a ringing endorsement if he's brought it for competition. Certainly not brought it to replace anyone substantial.

Next year...well, Stevie needs to bring it!!

Hey, ya never know with this team. This could easily backfire on the team should Williams find more trouble. The Bills seemed determined to bring in trouble with wanting DeSean Jackson, Kenny Britt, and don't forget they brought in Da Rick Rodgers last year.

OTOH, Every good team has at least two top WR's so opponents can't double or triple one of them. This move should help make the offense become much more explosive...provided they all stay healthy. Plus give EJ more options to throw to.

While I like the move, a lot depends on how everything else works out for the rest of the off season, the draft ect.

Not sure if its a product of the O Tampa has been running, but Williams has seemed to be more of a vertical threat if anything else in the NFL.

If that is his strength, then a 4 WR set would have Williams and Goodwin out wide working deep, with Stevie and Woods from the slot or bunch working underneath. Could be potent. If that is how they want to use Williams, Graham is done.

I highly doubt it. The addition of Williams allows them to move Stevie into the slot full time which is where they feel he fits best. Letting Stevie operate out of the slot will really be an asset for this offense. His defining trait is his ability to abuse CB's with his route running; he's an "ankle breaker" to borrow a basketball term. Also, WR's in the slot are much tougher to jam at the line which is another bonus. Then there is the fact he will be facing the defense's nickle back (3rd CB) whom is usually the least talented defensive back on the field.

They will have Mike Williams and Robert Woods on the outside with Stevie Johnson wreaking havoc out of the slot. Johnson has the talent to become a Wes Welker type player in that role.

Then again, he could be a very valuable asset come draft time for teams desperate for WR help *cough* Carolina *cough*. I said it in the Williams thread: I will take a proven NFL player nearly every time over drafting a kid who has not done a lick against NFL defenses. Stevie is a known commodity that has produced consistently against some of the best CB's the NFL has to offer. You can't say that about Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin. I wouldn't just give him away but I would definitely be listening to offers if I was Whaley.

Edited by smapdi

No!