Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

5. Part of the reason you may want TJ gone is because he takes reps away from Goodwin, who has tremendous ability and should have been playing a lot more last year, but Marrone and Hackett kept on insisting that Graham play because he was always open. We need to know if Goodwin can play an entire football season, but the guy has serious skills.

I like Goodwin a lot, and think he is very talented. But you can't overlook the fact that he was injured in nearly every game he played last season.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to be as clear as possible. When a team is losing by double digits ( as the Bills have been in many games for more than a decade now ) the opponent usually plays prevent defense. In this case, the offense plays hurry up and marches down the field getting MEANINGLESS YARDS since the GAME is ALREADY OVER! I believe it will be hard for you to understand this. .

You are correct: it is hard for me to understand your logic. What I believe I do understand is that your theory of meaningless yards is silly. You are trying to match statistics to fit your theory, but it doesn't work. In '10, '11, and '12 (the three seasons that SJ posted over 1,000 yards) the Bills lost a total of 17 games (out of 48) by 10 or more points. Assuming that every single one of those teams played prevent defense for the entire second half (another silly notion), that still only represents about 18% of playing time for those three seasons. And, if you're going to suggest that the majority of his yards were posted in such games during garbage time, you would be very wrong. In fact, his yardage from game to game in those seasons was remarkably consistent, and in only one of his 100+ yard games did we lose by a margin of over 10 points. In my mind (limited in its understanding, though it may be) that would suggest that his productivity was meaningful, indeed. I won't even ask how the Bills playing hurry-up offense would render his yards "meaningless."

Thanks a lot. Now you've got me engaged in this irrational discussion.

I will try to be as clear as possible. When a team is losing by double digits ( as the Bills have been in many games for more than a decade now ) the opponent usually plays prevent defense. In this case, the offense plays hurry up and marches down the field getting MEANINGLESS YARDS since the GAME is ALREADY OVER! I believe it will be hard for you to understand this. .

can you post a bar graph that shows us the ratio of meaningless vs yards that meant something? i know the 3 td day vs cincy meant something.

maybe its 95% meaningless and 5% meaningful ? show your work.

I'm not trying to get rid of him but I don't see how we are going to be able to use both of these WRs effectively. I read earlier that this trade may be an indicator that the Bills may want to get rid of Stevie. Cutting him isn't a solution because it would only be a savings of about $25,000.00 against the cap. The article offered that after this season it would be a lot more advantageous for the Bills. I don't know if a trade would be feasible but if so I'd be talking to Pettine over in Cleveland if so, they could use a #2 WR like Stevie.

I wasn't aware we were stacked with pro bowl talent at the position...

I'm not trying to get rid of him but I don't see how we are going to be able to use both of these WRs effectively. I read earlier that this trade may be an indicator that the Bills may want to get rid of Stevie. Cutting him isn't a solution because it would only be a savings of about $25,000.00 against the cap. The article offered that after this season it would be a lot more advantageous for the Bills. I don't know if a trade would be feasible but if so I'd be talking to Pettine over in Cleveland if so, they could use a #2 WR like Stevie.

Down the road maybe. Not this year or next season. If we draft Evans, it will take him a couple years to get his stuff together...

You can tell we're not used to having good players on the roster...once we get them here, people want to get rid of the few good ones we already had.

Agreed. WTF people??? Let's see if Williams even makes the final 2014 Roster. No guarantees with this guys past transgression history.

I wasn't aware we were stacked with pro bowl talent at the position...

Love your thinking. Stevie is the best WR we have until proven otherwise!!!

Edited by mattsox

Agreed. WTF people??? Let's see if Williams even makes the final 2014 Roster. No guarantees with this guys past transgression history.

He has even had a sit down with Sir Roger, much less been suspended. And he'll definitely make the roster. But still "no" to making Stevie expendable.

Where did the few comments regarding SJ's workout habit and maturity come from?

He may act goofy and do stupid stuff but he comes off as fairly mature for a 20somethjng year old.

Kind of ironic that people would bring up SJ's maturity and think tha Mike Williams is his replacement. After reading Williams press conference transcript, I'll be surprised if he makes it through the season. Took no responsibility for his problems at Syracuse, doing the same thing now. Somebody made up stories about him, somebody else did it, he was taken advantage of, blah blah blah.

Where did the few comments regarding SJ's workout habit and maturity come from?

He may act goofy and do stupid stuff but he comes off as fairly mature for a 20somethjng year old.

Stevie said himself a year or two ago that he didnt work out as much as he could have in the off season.

I have no problem with him at all as far as that stuff goes. He tries his ass off, he plays through pain constantly, he doesn't loaf.

Stevie said himself a year or two ago that he didnt work out as much as he could have in the off season.

I have no problem with him at all as far as that stuff goes. He tries his ass off, he plays through pain constantly, he doesn't loaf.

the comment was very strange IMO. What is not work out as much as he could have? They say with 10,000 hours you become a pro. At that amount of experience, which he is likely ti have what more is there to work out? Should he overwork his body? Did he merely put in 30 hours a week to training instead of 40? Its an obscure and relative statement but I don't think it reflects on his ability, talent or relevant to this - his work ethic. By all accounts he shows up on time. Puts in time with teammates to train and leads groups working/training together in the off season

but...the question of whether he's oft injured because he doesn't prepare himself properly for the season always arises. It's a question without an answer, but he leaves himself open to this criticism by his actions.

the comment was very strange IMO. What is not work out as much as he could have? They say with 10,000 hours you become a pro. At that amount of experience, which he is likely ti have what more is there to work out? Should he overwork his body? Did he merely put in 30 hours a week to training instead of 40? Its an obscure and relative statement but I don't think it reflects on his ability, talent or relevant to this - his work ethic. By all accounts he shows up on time. Puts in time with teammates to train and leads groups working/training together in the off season

IIRC it was more that he was doing his own thing (not following the team's guidelines) vs. not working out at all. Someone with a better memory will set this straight.

I think both Stevie and Mike are playing for jobs this year and one of them will be cut/traded next offseason. Watch the bills draft a mid round WR with the hopes of easing him into the system and replacing one of the higher priced vets.

the contracts say mike will be cut after 2014 and stevie after 2015.

Even if one or both outperform their contracts in 2014?

I just don't see the bills keeping mike at 6.2 mil for 2015 even in the unlikely event he has 10 TD catches in 2014. if things do work out well, I could see them trying to re-do his deal. I suppose if he lit it up bigtime with 15 TD's they probably would keep him at 6.2 mil for another year. but that 15 td scenario seems so unlikely.

I think stevie's dead money keeps him around thru 2015. I suppose they could trade him, but I don't see them cutting him.