Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way our FO thinks, we don't need anything. We are a rock solid team that needs nothing. Every team in the NFL misses the playoffs for 14-15 years straight right? I just don't see us trading up. Not with this brainy group calling the shots.

The way our FO thinks, we don't need anything. We are a rock solid team that needs nothing. Every team in the NFL misses the playoffs for 14-15 years straight right? I just don't see us trading up. Not with this brainy group calling the shots.

Good post, extremely well thought out.

Normally, I wouldn't see any team, not needing a QB, pay the price to move up to #1. What makes this interesting for the Bills is the new ownership issue and the fact that Whaley and Marrone (and for that matter, Brandon) could be lame ducks.

They may be thinking, if we don't win this year we could be out by next season.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Please explain how this front office thinks?

So smart teams trade up, right? Staying put and picking at 9 signals a belief that the team "needs nothing"? Brilliant.

IN MY OPINION (I have to use this language before I get smacked upside the head) the only way to drive up value for anything is to have something that other people want and show it off. For that reason, I think Whaley should make his absolute best pitch to Houston RIGHT NOW (not 1 hour before the draft). Tell the Texans this is the best offer they will get, offer up some picks and a player or two. If the Texans bite, you put the deal in writing and announce it to the other teams. Now you either take Clowney or hold out for that last minute "panic offer" from the Raiders, Falcons, Jets, etc. If it doesn't work out, you tried, but you tend to give away too much when the pressure picks up on draft day. I'd much prefer to see him get a deal together now as opposed to a last minute trade which could be interpreted as anxious or desperate.

:lol:

If Mack doesn't go to Jacksonville and we haven't made our move up yet, then I would want us to right then. We probably wouldn't have to get to five, but we would definitely have to get over Atlanta. So five to Oakland would be a good spot and it wouldn't cost a whole lot.

wow

I am completely against a trade up, but I'm starting to think if it does happen, it will be for an offensive player (probably Watkins, but possibly one of the OTs), not Clowney. Whaley has repeatedly said he wants to provide EJ all the tools he needs to succeed. I don't see how trading half your draft for Clowney accomplishes that.

Edited by mannc

I am completely against a trade up, but I'm starting to think if it does happen, it will be for an offensive player (probably Watkins, but possibly one of the OTs), not Clowney. Whaley has repeatedly said he wants to provide EJ all the tools he needs to succeed. I don't see how trading half your draft for Clowney accomplishes that.

My gut tells me it is Evans. However, I am usually wrong. B-)

If they trade up to one it's for Clowney. If it's for anybody else then this team just paid a steep price for a prospect that wasn't worth it.

If they trade up to two-five it could be for Mack, Watkins or Robinson.

If they trade up to six-seven then it would be for any of the three above if they fall, Evans or one of Lewan/Matthews.

In my opinion.

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 6m

Source: "The Bills have a certain weighted drafted board, calling a few teams in top 6 about setting up for a trade". No secret.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 3m

...and with a little help from @JoeBuscaglia, though not "official," only time #Bills have traded up in Round 1 was 1982 for WR Perry Tuttle

IN MY OPINION (I have to use this language before I get smacked upside the head) the only way to drive up value for anything is to have something that other people want and show it off.

Seriously? That sure looks like a fact to me.

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 6m

Source: "The Bills have a certain weighted drafted board, calling a few teams in top 6 about setting up for a trade". No secret.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 3m

...and with a little help from @JoeBuscaglia, though not "official," only time #Bills have traded up in Round 1 was 1982 for WR Perry Tuttle

We traded up into round 1 for Jp loserman

We need a QB. Period. Don't look at the world through rose colored glasses. I can't understand why we would trade down, use that latter pick to take a QB from a weak class of QB's knowing that there were far better QB's in the following draft. We haven't made the playoffs because the right players, or coaches haven't been put in place. All I am saying is use a little common sense. It will go a long way when drafting or trading picks or whatever. You wouldn't draft a running back if there wasn't a decent running back to draft would you? We do. I can't understand why. Now Kiko was an awesome pick. A definite game changer. An impact player for sure. If they can keep drafting players that impact this team like Kiko has, I will change my opinion of them, but I doubt it. I really don't intend to sound negative, but there is a reason we haven't made the playoffs in over a decade. Shake the tree. Go Bills and hopefully no one gets to terribly offended. I would like to think as Bills fans, everyone would want this monkey off our backs. It just comes down to smart decision making, great marketing, and good business sense. Something we have lacked for far to long.