Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet: In talking to people who know #Texans GM Rick Smith well, I no longer believe it's a certainty that Jadeveon Clowney would be their 1st pick

@RapSheet: After discussing the topic with people familiar with Rick Smith, it doesn't appear #Texans are 100% sold on Clowney. Thus, willing to trade

@RapSheet: I believe I read a version of this thought process in @theMMQB 2 weeks ago (http://t.co/aXcV40DOKk). Khalil Mack a name to watch this week.

@SI_PeterKing: I should say I absolutely don't know who Houston will pick. But I hear the same as Ian.

I think that unless the #1 pick is a consensus top of the draft QB, you should always be willing to trade it because of the king's ransom than you can get if it happens. Houston can field offers and then decide if they think it is worth it or not. I think if they don't get what they perceive to be good enough value in return they will indeed take him. The question is who will be the team to make the offer for him. The Jets have a ton of picks and so does Cleveland. Jets have so much need on offense though, can't see it. Browns... maybe.

If Clowney slips to two then I think the Rams trade back. If Buffalo can get Clowney without giving up a 2015 first then do it.

If Houston doesn't take Clowney at one I think they're going with Mack.

Was it ever a given that they were taking clowney? Am I missing something?

I think it was a large, and fair, assumption for many people since he's the best player in this draft by a long shot. But he just might not fit with them.

I think it was a large, and fair, assumption for many people since he's the best player in this draft by a long shot. But he just might not fit with them.

If he was the best player in the draft, I would probably agree with you.

I think they end up taking Mack or trading back.

If he was the best player in the draft, I would probably agree with you.

I think they end up taking Mack or trading back.

He IS the best player in this draft. 19 out of 20 people will tell you that. 1 out of 20 will be submitted to a mental hospital.

Fairly convincing article in NY Post today that ATL plans to trade with Houston for Clowney. Says the team put Clowney through a battery of proprietary tests recently. This is the first time Clowney has allowed any team to test him, so the thinking is that ATL must have made some assurances to his agent. One of the first rumors that seems to have some substance to it.

Fairly convincing article in NY Post today that ATL plans to trade with Houston for Clowney. Says the team put Clowney through a battery of proprietary tests recently. This is the first time Clowney has allowed any team to test him, so the thinking is that ATL must have made some assurances to his agent. One of the first rumors that seems to have some substance to it.

ATL in the NFC and Jax in the AFC are the only teams who have the ability to use those tests at this time. They have exclusive rights to it for the next 2 years. Falcons used it on 100 players.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/4/27/5657518/falcons-have-put-over-100-players-through-force-plate-testing

Clowney has said that his preference is for Atlanta to trade up and get him...

I'm still not sure Atlanta is going to give up much to get up to #1 overall...The Julio trade got them a great player, but losing 4 net Draft picks...two of which were premium picks (1st and a 2nd)...certainly contributed to their nosedive (along with the injuries)...It will be interesting to see if Atlanta gives up a future #1 again...It would seemingly take a minimum of Atlanta's #1 in 2014 and 2015, along with their #2 this year to get up to #1 overall...I think if Atlanta can get a bargain they'll do it...Otherwise I kind of doubt they have the stomach for it again... B-)

I will say, Houston is playing this draft and having the #1 pick to perfection! I think 31 other teams see nothing thru the smoke, and probably all of them have some sort of offer on the white board that owuld get them the #1 pick!

I will say, Houston is playing this draft and having the #1 pick to perfection! I think 31 other teams see nothing thru the smoke, and probably all of them have some sort of offer on the white board that owuld get them the #1 pick!

I'm hoping there's only 30 teams in such a scenario...Buffalo should NOT be talking about trading UP, let alone to #1, at ALL!!! For any reason! Now, EJ fails to progress in 2014 or just doesn't show he has "it" to win, then I'm ALLLLLLL in for selling and trading everything in sight to get to #1 overall next year so the BILLS can finally put a Franchise QB behind center, IF the man known as EJ Manuel does not demonstrate the capacity to be their Franchise QB in 2014...but if that's the case, I think we'll be having this conversation next year with the BILLS at or near the top of the Draft....ughh!

I say Houston doesn't fool anyone and will get stuck using the #1 pick. probably picking clowney who doesn't fit in their 3-4 defense.

Clowney has said that his preference is for Atlanta to trade up and get him...

I'm still not sure Atlanta is going to give up much to get up to #1 overall...The Julio trade got them a great player, but losing 4 net Draft picks...two of which were premium picks (1st and a 2nd)...certainly contributed to their nosedive (along with the injuries)...It will be interesting to see if Atlanta gives up a future #1 again...It would seemingly take a minimum of Atlanta's #1 in 2014 and 2015, along with their #2 this year to get up to #1 overall...I think if Atlanta can get a bargain they'll do it...Otherwise I kind of doubt they have the stomach for it again... B-)

I suspect that the ATL-HOU trade, if it is going to happen, is already a done deal. The same article pointed out that most teams' draft boards are etched in stone by now, what with the extra two weeks. It may be that Atlanta and Houston are keeping it under wraps in order to keep the other 30 teams guessing.

I suspect that the ATL-HOU trade, if it is going to happen, is already a done deal. The same article pointed out that most teams' draft boards are etched in stone by now, what with the extra two weeks. It may be that Atlanta and Houston are keeping it under wraps in order to keep the other 30 teams guessing.

Why would Houston want to keep it under wraps? What if there is a better offer out there? Say Atlanta offered: 6, a 2nd & next years 1. What if someone else would do 2 1's & 2 2's?

He IS the best player in this draft. 19 out of 20 people will tell you that. 1 out of 20 will be submitted to a mental hospital.

The best player in this year's draft only had 3.5 sacks last year. If this is the case I would trade all of this year's picks for picks in future drafts.

The best player in this year's draft only had 3.5 sacks last year. If this is the case I would trade all of this year's picks for picks in future drafts.

You can question his effort last year, and justifiably so...if you watch his games from 2012, there's no doubt at all: when he felt like playing, he was absolutely unblockable.

Why would Houston want to keep it under wraps? What if there is a better offer out there? Say Atlanta offered: 6, a 2nd & next years 1. What if someone else would do 2 1's & 2 2's?

Again, this is only speculation, but Houston has had a long time to shop the pick and I suppose they think Atlanta's offer was the best one out there, in large part because they only have to drop back to 6, so Houston did the deal.

Again, this is only speculation, but Houston has had a long time to shop the pick and I suppose they think Atlanta's offer was the best one out there, in large part because they only have to drop back to 6, so Houston did the deal.

It may be the best out there but you best believe that Houston is telling people what's on the table. Atlanta isn't saying a word because they want the price as low as possible. I think that your scenario is the most likely (even more likely than Houston staying at 1). There is just no reason for them to quietly agree. If they get a RGIII type offer than pull the trigger before the other team backs out. By all indications that isn't the case this year.

it makes the most sense to trade up with atlanta if we were looking to trade up:

good for us: high enough to get mike evans or jake matthews, both of whom fit our needs very well

good for atl: tanked last year because of a lack of depth, this gives them more picks = more depth, need help on the DL and 9 seems like the perfect place to get donald, early enough to guarentee hes there, late enough to get fair value

if we made this trade id really hate to give up our 2nd this year, as there should be good starters available at 41. maybe our 3rd and 5th or next years 2nd to make the move?