Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills trade up (which I don't think they will) I strongly think it will be Cleveland at #4 or Atlanta at #6 or St. Louis at #6 (if St. Louis trades the #2 to Atlanta).

It will cost way too many picks to move from #9 to #1.

Last year I correctly predicted the Bills move from 8 to 16 to pick a QB (predicted the wrong QB), but I have no idea what to think this year. Real mystery. New GM, new way of doing things.

If they wait until the second to draft a WR I want either Allen Robinson or Donte Moncrief. Not a fan of Matthews.

Only if it's pick for picks... but if there's a player included in the deal, the cost of draft picks would be significantly reduced.

I have no idea what they're going to do, but I really don't think it's as expensive to move up as many people on here are fearing. Especially when it's a buyer's market as it seems to be this year. When the Rams got their ransom, it was a seller's market. I really think they could move up to 1 without giving up the farm.

Look how we did last year. We traded down, got the QB they wanted, a starting LOT and nearly the rookie of the year on defense with those 3 picks in the first two rounds. Rather than one player. Duh..........

Um, maybe the timeline is screwed up accidentally but just to be clear, the BILLS traded down to 16 and got EJ, then Drafted Robert Woods with their 2nd pick and then Kiko with their 3rd pick, the second of the 2nd round...their starting LOT, Cordy Glenn if I understood LOT to be an acronym for Left Offensive Tackle, was drafted in 2012. But to your larger point, I agree..

If the Bills trade up (which I don't think they will) I strongly think it will be Cleveland at #4 or Atlanta at #6 or St. Louis at #6 (if St. Louis trades the #2 to Atlanta).

I agree 100%. I can see trading up to get Clowney, Robinson or Matthews. Other than that I suspect we'll go Lewan or Evans or maybe trade down as there seems to be a lot of real talent in late first and in the 2D and 3rd picks. That's a gutsy call, isn't it? We either trade up or trade down or stay where we are. I'll bet the farm on that.

Last year I correctly predicted the Bills move from 8 to 16 to pick a QB (predicted the wrong QB), but I have no idea what to think this year. Real mystery. New GM, new way of doing things.

If they wait until the second to draft a WR I want either Allen Robinson or Donte Moncrief. Not a fan of Matthews.

Not really a new GM - Whaley was quite instrumental in previous years draft, including trading down last year and selecting EJ

But I do agree that I thought last year was perfect for trade down and get a qb and have no clue what they are going to do this year

Houston wants to bail out of the first pick. They want picks. Who ever is foolish to trade with them, I pity. Clowney has 1 skill set, pass rush, above the rest. The differences between the top talent is not that great. This draft class does not have a huge drop off. Bills would be wise to sit at 9 and get a top talent. If 3 QBs are taken in the first 8 picks, they will have a great chance to get a top OT or WR.

Bills shouldn't clown around with '15 pick

Why? The Bills need to save their top 2015 pick for a quarterback. Trading away that selection has the potential to set back the franchise in a way that having Clowney, Watkins or Mack wouldn't overcome.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/9268/bills-shouldnt-clown-around-with-15-pick

Edited by papazoid

Not really a new GM - Whaley was quite instrumental in previous years draft, including trading down last year and selecting EJ

Whaley's way of dealing with the media is completely different than Nix was.

I saw a report earlier that suggested Atlanta's real target is Greg Robinson

He should be...IMHO he'll be a better pro...

I think Clowney is an amazing athlete with an unlimited upside...But while the Draftniks and armchair GM's fawn over all that stuff, it's my belief the real scouts and GM's are ultra-concerned with his red-flags...I think the whole "generational talent" thing with Clowney is a bit overblown...When is the last time anyone has needed to make excuses for "generational talent?" With Clowney...There are a lot of excuses for his hot and cold play...When I watch his tape, and I've seen a ton of it, I see a player with amazing physical skills who, for whatever reason, is not making enough plays even though he bursts though the backfield time and time again...I see a player who does not like to engage blockers at the line of scrimmage enough and instead relies on his incredible quickness to get by...That would seem to be a good thing, but all too often it gets him a "just missed." I don't see him as an instinctive player like Khalil Mack...I'm not going to rip on his effort because he does chase, pursue, and generally shows hustle...But he's not making nearly enough plays where he should...In the backfield...And every time I watch him it frustrates me...Why is this guy not dominating more often? I just don't buy into the excuses...Teams always run away from great Defensive players...Teams always game plan for great Defensive players...But great Defensive players disrupt the best laid plans...And I just don't see Clowney doing that as much as I would like to...

Mario Williams is one heck of a good NFL player...But there are many who are still criticizing his career because he was the #1 overall pick...I think there is some worry about Clowney and whether of not he can live up to the massive hype...I don't think whatsoever he is the slam dunk we all here about...I have no doubt Clowney can live up to all the hype because he is a freak athletically...I'm just REAL uncertain if he's ever going to be able to put it all together...The NFL is a massive step up, even from the SEC...Clowney is going to have to improve his game, and his smarts big time...I'm not of the mind that it's an absolute certainty he will do so...

I think in comparison Robinson is a slam dunk player who is the best OT prospect I've seen coming out since Orlando Pace...If that seems outrageous, then I think conservatively Robinson is the best OT prospect since Joe Thomas at the very least...He's massive, powerful, and he's barely scraped the surface of what he can be...And I'm not saying whatsoever that Clowney is a bad prospect or anything like that...I'm just not convinced at all that he's this guaranteed "generational player..." I would take Robinson over Clowney every day and twice on Sunday...That being said I've been wrong plenty before... And I'm ultra-interested to see how the two careers match up 5 years from now... B-)

Bills shouldn't clown around with '15 pick

Why? The Bills need to save their top 2015 pick for a quarterback. Trading away that selection has the potential to set back the franchise in a way that having Clowney, Watkins or Mack wouldn't overcome.

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-with-15-pick

Please tell me who that QB is gonna be, right now, at this very moment.

...I think in comparison Robinson is a slam dunk player who is the best OT prospect I've seen coming out since Orlando Pace...If that seems outrageous, then I think conservatively Robinson is the best OT prospect since Joe Thomas at the very least...He's massive, powerful, and he's barely scraped the surface of what he can be...And I'm not saying whatsoever that Clowney is a bad prospect or anything like that...I'm just not convinced at all that he's this guaranteed "generational player..." I would take Robinson over Clowney every day and twice on Sunday...That being said I've been wrong plenty before... And I'm ultra-interested to see how the two careers match up 5 years from now... B-)

I won't get into the finer details of a Clowney vs. Robinson debate, but I do agree that Robinson has the potential to be something special. He's not nearly the player that Pace was coming out, but his ceiling is definitely a Pace-like HOF career. Some team is gonna be damn glad they drafted this kid.

GO BILLS!!!

Please tell me who that QB is gonna be, right now, at this very moment.

I won't get into the finer details of a Clowney vs. Robinson debate, but I do agree that Robinson has the potential to be something special. He's not nearly the player that Pace was coming out, but his ceiling is definitely a Pace-like HOF career. Some team is gonna be damn glad they drafted this kid.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed...Pace was unquestionably more polished coming out... I'm speaking of Robinson purely in prospect terms and what he can be if he continues on his upwards curve... B-)

@RapSheet: In talking to people who know #Texans GM Rick Smith well, I no longer believe it’s a certainty that Jadeveon Clowney would be their 1st pick

@RapSheet: After discussing the topic with people familiar with Rick Smith, it doesn’t appear #Texans are 100% sold on Clowney. Thus, willing to trade

@RapSheet: I believe I read a version of this thought process in @theMMQB 2 weeks ago (http://t.co/aXcV40DOKk). Khalil Mack a name to watch this week.

@SI_PeterKing: I should say I absolutely don't know who Houston will pick. But I hear the same as Ian.