Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure out why a GM would lie about wanting to move up. What possible advantage could be gained?

I don't know whether he is or isn't lying but a possible scenario as to why he would, and what advantage would be gained, is that if Houston were to trade all the way to 9 (I don't think they will) then they have missed out on the "elite" players and the coast is clear to go ahead and take their QB. Cleveland, however, at 4 want one of the elite players like Mack or Watkins. If they think Bflo is willing to trade with Houston putting them at 9, and they both want Manziel. Cleveland might be willing to trade their 26, 35 overall plus a 6th rounder to Bflo for the 9th pick before they trade it to Houston so they can grab their elite guy AND Manziel.

Cleveland has been throwing a ton of stuff out there about wanting Carr. I think they likely want Manziel for that reason. However, they have a ton of holes outside QB. I think they really want to get him below 4. Houston said today they would be willing to let their new QB sit a year before playing. This seems like a smokescreen to get teams to think they will wait until the 2nd to take one. I doubt they want to roll Fitz out there and hope for the best.

JMO :)

I can't figure out why a GM would lie about wanting to move up. What possible advantage could be gained?

There's always the chance that he thinks that Clowney being the first pick would benefit Buffalo. Maybe he has a certain order of picks in his mind and believes that Clowney going number one would really help ensure that a certain guy is there at nine. Saying you want to trade up might pressure other teams to make the move to get him.

Also, he could be doing Houston a favor. Maybe Houston is close on a couple other fronts in a trade for number one and he's doing a favor for a team. It can never hurt to build a good relationship with another team in case something comes up later and you need the help.

I also agree with these people saying Mack is the target. Well, I wouldn't say he IS the target, but he SHOULD be. Not if we trade to number one, that's Clowney every time, but if Mack gets to five then I think we should move up for him. Then go offense heavy they rest of the way.

I hear you...The point with Barr and Jordan was just comparing the talent from last year to this year...I think they are comparable players...I like Jordan more no question...But I still think they are comparable, and I think Barr is the better pure pass rusher of the two (and I'm not a big Barr fan) with Jordan being the more complete player...Compare their last 2 years in College and Barr had 11 more sacks than Jordan...So anyway...IMHO Jordan is still a borderline top 10 pick if he's in this Draft...In last years Draft I think he was absolutely worthy of #3 overall...Thus the difference in talent and why it will likely take a lot more to move up...

And yes the Bills are not trading up for a QB...But in this completely hypothetical situation they would be trading up for a player considered to be a once-in-a-decade-type...So it still gets back to how much competition there is for the pick...I doubt very much the Bills are the only team interested in trading up for Clowney...There is just as much buzz about Atlanta wanting to get up for him, maybe more buzz...But the Falcons pick 6th...So if the Bills are in competition with the Falcons they have to give up more...If anyone above the Falcons wants to take a stab at #1 overall the price goes up...And so on...That's how this can get out of hand and too rich for the Bills quickly...

Last year Oakland was hellbent on getting out of #3...Because the demand obviously was not much...or just because they are the Raiders...they took what they could get...If the same thing happens this year with the Texans, and the Bills are bidding against themselves, then sure...I could see it being less than 2-1st's, a 2nd, and something else...But I doubt that's the case this year...Maybe I'm wrong...If the only thing the Bills have to give up is a 2nd round pick to get to #1 then I'm all ears...Though I personally would take Robinson over Clowney...But that's a whole different discussion... :lol:

I don't think it would end up being just a 2nd. If I had to guess, and the Texans are desperate to get out of that #1 pick it could be our #9, 2nd, 7th this year and the 2nd next. Or something like that. You just never know, depends on how desperate the Texans are.

I really think we are trading up. To Houston? I am not sure. I think Whaley thinks we are 2-3 players in this draft from making the playoffs so I can see it happening. I can see us trading around and only having say 3-4 picks in this draft and 3-4 maybe next year.

I think this Front office has said 'f'k it...lets go all in and let the chips fall where they may'. Why wouldn't they? None of them are safe with a new owner.

There's always the chance that he thinks that Clowney being the first pick would benefit Buffalo. Maybe he has a certain order of picks in his mind and believes that Clowney going number one would really help ensure that a certain guy is there at nine. Saying you want to trade up might pressure other teams to make the move to get him.

Also, he could be doing Houston a favor. Maybe Houston is close on a couple other fronts in a trade for number one and he's doing a favor for a team. It can never hurt to build a good relationship with another team in case something comes up later and you need the help.

I also agree with these people saying Mack is the target. Well, I wouldn't say he IS the target, but he SHOULD be. Not if we trade to number one, that's Clowney every time, but if Mack gets to five then I think we should move up for him. Then go offense heavy they rest of the way.

What if Whaley and the Texans GM have a plan in which Whaley talks up #1 so much someone else trades up like you suggest, and in turn they are willing to swap 2nd round picks so we choose top of round 2 in return for a pick next year or whatever? Fans don't think GM's do each other a solid but if they know each other they sure as hell do.

I do agree this could all be a smokescreen or the Bills want to trade up to 3 or 4 with how the QB's seem to be dropping. Whaley has said he hopes that all of the QB's go before the #9 pick because he'd obviously like the top talent in the draft to drop to the Bills. If it doesn't look like it's going to happen, and the Bills will be stuck looking at all those QB's or not top tier talent, I could see the Bills definitely trading up. They think they are a couple players away from the playoffs, I say go and get that player. Can't stand idle and wait for them to come to the Bills.

I really think we are trading up. To Houston? I am not sure. I think Whaley thinks we are 2-3 players in this draft from making the playoffs so I can see it happening. I can see us trading around and only having say 3-4 picks in this draft and 3-4 maybe next year.

I think this Front office has said 'f'k it...lets go all in and let the chips fall where they may'. Why wouldn't they? None of them are safe with a new owner.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel it will play out.

Clowney wants Atlanta to trade up for him. He would have a better attitude if he gets his preference.

Well - the Twitter buzz is that both ATL and Bflo ar trying to trade up for him. I would not be shocked if Bflo is just helping driving up the price for Houston and they'll return the favor in another way. I am not saying I don't think the Bills would pull the trigger and trade up a few spots to get a guy they want. But i don't think they'll mortgage next year's 1st rounder to get Clowney. And I don't think Houston wants to drop all the way to 9. Will be interesting to see what else comes out this week.

What if Whaley and the Texans GM have a plan in which Whaley talks up #1 so much someone else trades up like you suggest, and in turn they are willing to swap 2nd round picks so we choose top of round 2 in return for a pick next year or whatever? Fans don't think GM's do each other a solid but if they know each other they sure as hell do.

Well they're not going to give us something THAT big.

I think they could be targeting Mack. Teams that want Clowney will want Mack. If they talk up Clowney at one then they might be able to convince a team to move up while Buffalo negotiates the second or third pick for Mack.

It says they are open to moving up or down, but I think they want to move up. They were 3 pts away from the SB in 2012. They want Clowney. And he wants them.

I was talking about Buffalo moving to 5-7, not Atlanta moving up.

IN MY OPINION (I have to use this language before I get smacked upside the head) the only way to drive up value for anything is to have something that other people want and show it off. For that reason, I think Whaley should make his absolute best pitch to Houston RIGHT NOW (not 1 hour before the draft). Tell the Texans this is the best offer they will get, offer up some picks and a player or two. If the Texans bite, you put the deal in writing and announce it to the other teams. Now you either take Clowney or hold out for that last minute "panic offer" from the Raiders, Falcons, Jets, etc. If it doesn't work out, you tried, but you tend to give away too much when the pressure picks up on draft day. I'd much prefer to see him get a deal together now as opposed to a last minute trade which could be interpreted as anxious or desperate.