Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, you left out the fact that Byrd only had 10 starts and appeared in only 11 games last year.

What do I care. Average out and explain how Byrd would have projected to have such an incredibly better season than AW. Williams also didn't play safety all season.

I refute Byrd is on some football echelon far above Aaron. The bills should have always played AW at safety. His problem was he was athletic enough they thought he'd hold down a corner. They are both very good players however I believe the bills looked ahead, saw a choice coming their way, and made the better investment in the future of the team.

Certainly a defining play for Williams as a CB...

Who knows what Williams would do at yet another DB position (FS), but I would agree that he may not be any worse than a sub par Byrd, as you say--which is the point I have repeated on this thread.

We got a very good glimpse of what he would do at free safety as he played very well there last season filling in for Byrd and until he had to move back to CB due to injuries. It's that kind of versatility that makes it a bargain as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe its just me, but I think maybe the Bills should have waited until later in the season maybe like October so we can make sure his performance from last year wasn't a fluke. He's had 1 decent year in 3, reminds me a bit of the Fitz deal.

I"m sure Ill get blasted with people saying we waited to long and lost Byrd bla bla bla...

A Williams will be payed more next year than Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Dashon Goldson were this year. Does anyone think that, if Williams was a free agent right now that he would command 6.5 per in the open market based on his career so far?

AW is not yet the football player that Byrd is. Let's see if he can get there.

But he is more athletically gifted than Byrd was, is, or will ever be.

The defining play for me about AW occurred against the Ravens last year. Ironically, when he was forced back to CB due to injuries. Torrey Smith (I believe) burned him deep on a long pass from Flaco late in the game and AW stuck with it, caught up and made the tackle. That play saved the game for the Bills.

That's a play that Byrd simply doesn't make. Can't wait to watch him play center field if that's where they decide he fits best. He won't be any worse than Byrd's down years between his rookie season and 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

I like how he covers TE's, which it seems for the first time in a long time did not kill us last year.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

A Williams will be payed more next year than Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Dashon Goldson were this year. Does anyone think that, if Williams was a free agent right now that he would command 6.5 per in the open market based on his career so far?

Doesn't matter and is utterly unrelated to what the Bills are paying him.

GO BILLS!!!

The cap will be up to (allegedly) 150 million in five or so years. If Williams improves on his play of this past season, you'll love this deal when those guys are asking for raises in 2-3 years.

The cap will be up to (allegedly) 150 million in five or so years. If Williams improves on his play of this past season, you'll love this deal when those guys are asking for raises in 2-3 years.

Also, remember how the McKelvin deal seemed weird, but he turned out to have a career year?

Good move. I never understood why he spent two years at CB, and struggled. He was a safety at Texas, and a good one. Arrogance and poor coaching on the bills part to try him at CB. With much better coaching, he was good/really good at safety this past year, and I wonder what would have happened if he had started his career there. And, he played well as a disaster CB when he had to go back there......I attribute that, also, to his coaching. I think the Bills retained the DB coach, so I am hopefully of continued progress. And, best of all, he is not afraid to hit....so I am looking for big things from him in the next four years. Can't be critical at all at retaining him. And, actually, I prefer him to Byrd.....Byrd is a great playmaker with great reads and reflexes, but much slower than many appreciate....never could go up and play corner. I think Buffalo is a winner on how this all is turning out, and Whaley (and Brandon) got this right. In this case, I like plan B (signing Williams long term) better than plan A (signing Byrd)

I'm pretty sure he played CB at Texas. He was projected as a safety coming out, but he did in fact play CB in college.

Except he won't. It is an EXTENSION. JW can correct me if I'm wrong but the 4 years and 26 million will kick in after his rookie deal expires. Meaning next year he will make $1,673,185.

Thomas - 2013 3,500,000 next year 5,175,000

Chancellor - 2103 3,878,402, next year 5,725,000

Goldson - 2013 8,735,295 next year 9,000,000

So after next year is it reasonable to think he would command 6.5 million on the open market? Considering that would make him the 8th highest safety right now before this year and next year's free agency (TJ Ward and Byrd will certainly command more) which would make it at most the 10th highest safety contract, yes I think it is very reasonable to assume.

edited to include link to cap hits.

Edited by section122

Is Byrd still a punk if he re-signs with the Bills?

Yeah. he is. I don't like him at all. Is he talented? of course, but he's not worth the headache and no free saftey is worth the amount of money we "reportedly" offered him.

Possible but again, highly unlikely. To me, they are NOT going to spend $75 million this year on two contracts for safeties. If they were to spend the 50m to get Byrd locked up, they could wait the one year to see how Williams plays alongside him again. I doubt that AW is going to get more than 26m next year for four years although it's surely possible. And I always thought that if we sign Byrd to a huge contract, we get rid of him after 3 years unless we are on the verge of winning the SB, in which then it may be worth it to slightly overpay.

As reported, this has been a couple months in the making, so it would seem it's (somewhat) independent of Byrd's offer. Not only does it give Byrd an additional enticement, but it sends a signal that the Bills are serious about building a contender and locking up their good, young players. We'll see in a couple weeks or less how it plays out.