Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

Before I gave AW 4 years / $26m, I would have signed Byrd to 4 years / $40m..............assuming Byrd wanted to stay here

Thank goodness you aren't deciding thing at OBD. This is the type of move that tells me they are making smart business decisions and really building something.

I think it's terrific news. He is not a Byrd's level yet, but he played great last year, looks much more natural at safety and I think could be playing at a pro-bowl level given another year at the position. Now it's about finding him the right partner.

Since he defended more passes, had the same number of picks, had lots more tackles.... What does he need to do to get to "Byrds level"?

Play center field and catch overthrown balls?

Get Parker as his agent?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness you aren't deciding thing at OBD. This is the type of move that tells me they are making smart business decisions and really building something.

Since he defended more passes, had the same number of picks, had lots more tackles.... What does he need to do to get to "Byrds level"?

Get Parker as his agent?

Well since the organization doesn't have a lot of success to point to, I can question whatever I want

Get Parker as his agent?

For some reason, you left out the fact that Byrd only had 10 starts and appeared in only 11 games last year.

Get Parker as his agent?

weird how the bills seemed to be willing to get into the 9-10m range for byrd when they had a better player just sitting there to replace him for a third less money.

maybe you are overstating williams and understating byrd a little.

He's next...Seems pretty logical... :thumbsup:

we will see - with his discipline issues at the tail end of the year, i think they may wait a bit on him. but you never know, sometimes you are hardest on the guys you think the highest of.

Which part do you disagree with? Both seem fairly straighforward statements. Help me out.

I would like to know what makes Byrd a "much" better player?

We would not have dreamed trying to play Byrd at corner

Williams is better in run support

Both have had injury issues

Is it byrds multiple pro bowls? Because you have to know by this point that is a popularity contest

Is it byrds multiple pro bowls? Because you have to know by this point that is a popularity contest

Aaron Williams was ahead of Byrd in fan voting this year too.

For me, this is a great signing for a number of reasons. First, it was Aaron Williams calling defensive audibles last season for the D-backs and not Jairus Byrd. To that point, Byrd even gave credit to Williams for his interceptions and being where he could make plays. That brings me to the second point, which is that Williams had just as many interceptions and forced fumbles as Byrd did last year to boot. There's an important point there in that he made plays, but also helped his team mates make plays as well. Williams was never much of a corner, but that's not what he's being asked to do now. 4 years and $26 million ($27.5 million if he meets incentives) is nothing compared to what Byrd and his scumbag agent Parker are asking for. I wouldn't be surprised if Byrd was looking for more than $26 million in just guaranteed money. To the naysayers, you'll always find a reason to complain. Either the team spends too much on a player or doesn't spend on another. Lose lose for you.

That was my point. It's not clear that Williams is a "bargain" Byrd. Whatever one feels about Byrd personally, there is little doubt he was a top FS. A Williams has played 2 seasons at SS---and 6.5 million isn;t a bargain yet.

Check out A William's wiki page:

"He was then resigned to a REASONABLE deal because he is a TEAM PLAYER. His resigning allowed for him to replace the greedy Byrd. The long term deal will keep Williams with the Bills for the next four seasons.[4]"

Aaron Williams played half of ONE season at SS. Not two seasons as you say.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd has had high level production on a fairly consistent basis (they play different positions) and Williams has had a single decent year out of 3 in the league.

I don't think Byrd has injury issues....

Aaron Williams played half of ONE season at SS. Not two seasons as you say.

GO BILLS!!!

Makes it even less of a bargain...

AW is not yet the football player that Byrd is. Let's see if he can get there.

But he is more athletically gifted than Byrd was, is, or will ever be.

The defining play for me about AW occurred against the Ravens last year. Ironically, when he was forced back to CB due to injuries. Torrey Smith (I believe) burned him deep on a long pass from Flaco late in the game and AW stuck with it, caught up and made the tackle. That play saved the game for the Bills.

That's a play that Byrd simply doesn't make. Can't wait to watch him play center field if that's where they decide he fits best. He won't be any worse than Byrd's down years between his rookie season and 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

Are you sure? Watching tape from last year, i think he may be suffering from a bruised ego. it can be a chronic condition that makes his foot hurt unbearably during training camp only to wane when he actually can bank some cash. i hear it can be a chronic condition.

AW is not yet the football player that Byrd is. Let's see if he can get there.

But he is more athletically gifted than Byrd was, is, or will ever be.

The defining play for me about AW occurred against the Ravens last year. Ironically, when he was forced back to CB due to injuries. Torrey Smith (I believe) burned him deep on a long pass from Flaco late in the game and AW stuck with it, caught up and made the tackle. That play saved the game for the Bills.

That's a play that Byrd simply doesn't make. Can't wait to watch him play center field if that's where they decide he fits best. He won't be any worse than Byrd's down years between his rookie season and 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

Certainly a defining play for Williams as a CB...

Who knows what Williams would do at yet another DB position (FS), but I would agree that he may not be any worse than a sub par Byrd, as you say--which is the point I have repeated on this thread.

Well since the organization doesn't have a lot of success to point to, I can question whatever I want

In my eyes this organization has one season to point to. Last season, and I see a foundation of a team forming, like I haven't seen since 1986.

Take names out and answer this question:

Pick one player:

(1) faster more athletic 23 year old, who was smart enough to run the secondary in a new defense in his first year at a new position in his third nfl season who had by far more tackles than anyone in the secondary, some key stuffs in run support and tied for the team lead in picks for 6 million for each of the next 4 years. He contributed as much or more to the team in every way (also played cover corner and can man up) last season and is likely still improving.

(2) slower less athletic but more instinctive 27 year old who also tied for lead in picks the team, appears intent on driving a FA bidding war, claims to have a chronic foot issue that could sideline him for chunks of season at a price tbd but maybe in excess of 10 million per year (given this was a reported magnitude of deal, not accepted.) who may already have his best years behind him and cannot play man coverage at all as a strict zone read and react cover guy.

Are you sure? Watching tape from last year, i think he may be suffering from a bruised ego. it can be a chronic condition that makes his foot hurt unbearably during training camp only to wane when he actually can bank some cash. i hear it can be a chronic condition.

Maybe, but I think his foot issue was bogus. Either way, he's on his way out the door, so who cares at this point?

6.5mil is a lot to give AW but we've got the money to spend it, so why not?

In two years, this deal might look like a real bargain. Hopefully he won't be asked to switch positions.

I'd give it an Incomplete grade right now (kind of want to see a full season in new scheme) with the possibility of it turning into an "A."

6.5mil is a lot to give AW but we've got the money to spend it, so why not?

In two years, this deal might look like a real bargain. Hopefully he won't be asked to switch positions.

I'd give it an Incomplete grade right now (kind of want to see a full season in new scheme) with the possibility of it turning into an "A."

i think thats a pretty fair assessment. its a generous contract for where he is, but may still become a bargain.

Byrd has had high level production on a fairly consistent basis (they play different positions) and Williams has had a single decent year out of 3 in the league.

Makes it even less of a bargain...

You can't discount other aspects of his experience and skill as a player. He's got a full season under his belt at the safety position, whether it's the easier free safety position or the more demanding strong safety position. He's also versatile, as he possesses the athleticism to play CB in this league. Feel free to knock his CB performance, but that's not the point. The point is that Whaley and Co. have a lot more to go on than a half season at strong safety.

GO BILLS!!!