Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

Does anyone remember how bad of a CB Williams was in this league? After the first year everyone including myself thought he was a ginormous bust. He was torched everytime you turned around. They move him to safety and he lit it up. It's good to see that he found his niche. I'm proud to have him as a Bill and look forward to him using the large frame to rock people. They need to work on depth now though if Williams goes down , searcy, then who?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So essentially this is a 5yr deal. Thats a great deal for both sides.

From listening to what Byrd said yesterday on first take it seemed like he was very bitter bout not getting contract extension after his 3rd yr. That was a huge mistake by Buddy hopefully we have learned from this moving forward.. Doug Whaley has to be able to have some vision going forward with the players that deserve extensions.. Identity our building blocks and lock them up early. This helps both sides in negotiations from said player being able to obtain long-term security to us getting these guys for a value we see fit.

Hopefully the Bills offer Dareus a 7yr 50mil extension next. Dareus is just 23yrs old and just starting to touch the surface of his potential. On face value that offer might seem a little high but after the cap goes up these next couple yrs it would be a bargain. Same goes for Cordy after next season I would offer that same type of deal if he continues to progress.

I'd be curious to know what he felt he deserved after that 3rd season, when he'd missed the Pro Bowl for the 2nd straight season.

when Chancellor is up he will probably be the highest paid safety in the league.

Chancellor signed a new deal prior to the 2013 season. Earl Thomas is still on his rookie deal and the one who will probably be looking for a new one soon (this off-season or next), and that will be for more than Byrd gets.

To your point, I'll add that hindsight is 20/20. It's nice to talk about how the Bills should re-sign a guy with 2-3 years left on their contract or trade a guy so that they can make sure to lock in value. On the flip side, how many times has the organization done exactly that with a player that in hindsight DIDN'T deserve what they got in their contract? Also, how many players did the team let linger for far too long that should have been gone? Clearly, no team can keep everyone. It just doesn't work that way in the NFL. Hopefully though for this team, they keep as many of the "right" guys as possible and at the right price.

Exactly.

No team is perfect at doing this; however, the Bills have sucked more than most. Hopefully, they're improving.

This is the way Levitre and Byrd should have been kept or traded while under regular contract. Do this with all good players.

It takes two. For the umteenth time, Levitre and Byrd were never interested in re-signing until they tested the free agency waters. Nothing wrong with that.

GO BILLS!!!

Does anyone remember how bad of a CB Williams was in this league? After the first year everyone including myself thought he was a ginormous bust. He was torched everytime you turned around. They move him to safety and he lit it up. It's good to see that he found his niche. I'm proud to have him as a Bill and look forward to him using the large frame to rock people. They need to work on depth now though if Williams goes down , searcy, then who?

That's why he was projected a better safety coming out of college. He doesn't have the best swivel in his hips. But he is capable of making the athletic play. He'll thrive at safety.

GO BILLS!!!

I have been at work since the announcement.

This is just awesome !

A Williams was my goat for a couple years, and i cringed when he was targeted. He would get sooo burned

Till last season. then the world tipped upside down.

I watched him closely and he did not disappoint , even when moving back to Corner temporarily. He had lost his suckitude . and became nearly All pro caliber

I'm a fan of his these days and for sure delighted about this agreement of terms . for ALL the right reasons .

Lets go Buffalo !

Is Donnie Henderson a genius? How did both A Williams and McKelvin do a total 180 last year?

Could even be Chan Wanny etc down the line were bad at coaching DB play and then the new guys were good.

You are right though, remarkable, absolutely remarkable.

Ironically both these guys should be good players at 11 and 34 overall picks.

We bills fans were just so accustomed to seeing high draft picks come in, blow chunks, then fizzle out of the league or journey elsewhere...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The Bills have a FS that can play SS and CB if necessary. He can play some man coverage if he has to. He still has upside. This is a great deal for AW and the team. Is Dareus gonna get some love next? Cordy Glenn?

Cordy and Gilmore are only entering their third year. I don't think we'll see them next. Dareus and Spiller would be my best guesses.

Is Donnie Henderson a genius? How did both A Williams and McKelvin do a total 180 last year?

I cant see any other answer . Thank gosh he is still the Coach !!

Confidence was the hurdle they each lept gamely over i think .

You can thank Mike Pettine for realizing Williams is a safety. and when it comes to mckelvin, thanks Pettine for playing to Leo's strengths in man coverage which takes more athleticism and less "feel" than zone. Leodis is not a zone corner. He lacks feel and ball skills. Tell him to use his athleticism to blanket one man and you take the thinking out of it.

Edited by FluffHead

Bingo! One of the things that Byrd mentioned that was important to him was his legacy. There is no doubt in my mind that Byrd loves his teammates, Williams in particular. If the Bills, at this point, have any shot of signing Byrd then I believe that offering continuity with players that he's familiar with is about as good as any as an enticement at this time. I don't believe that some other team is going to pay him significantly more than what has been projected as our offer to him. If he signs for the same or even less than it doesn't matter what we offered him, it would be apparent that he just doesn't want to be here and no matter what the money would be it wouldn't be enough. With that being said and now that a couple of days have past and my emotions have settled down I would like to weigh in on this whole scenario if I may.

First off Byrd is not a punk or a bad person/player just because of what's happening. The guy is a great Safety and even a better person off of the field and I am proud and grateful that he is/was a Buffalo Bill. Matter of fact I wish that we had a whole roster full of a guy/player like him. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and I'm quite sure that there's more to all of this that we don't know verse what we do know. Either way no matter where Jairus plays next year I wish him the best of fortune and that he fulfills all of his aspirations.

Secondly, although I have been tortured, like may of you, and have stressed more than I probably needed to over this whole situation I honestly can't fault Parker for doing what he has done. The guy is an excellent agent and did what he was hired to do. Keep in mind that his obligation first and foremost is to his client, not to the Bills', their fans or anyone else. Simply the guy did what he was suppose to do, as unpopular as it is to most of us on this message board.

When some have pointed out that the Bills will not commit this much money to our Safety positions this year I don't think that this is necessarily accurate. This would be the year for us to spend this kind of money, with our cap situation being so far under. As someone has already pointed out that Dareus can't be re-signed this year because of the CBA rules, and if this accurate then very astute to you sir, then Byrd could be loaded up this year with a nice big signing bonus. Whaley and Byrd BOTH seemed very amicable to keeping this offer opened, I believe in both of their sincerity. I can't fault Byrd for being anxious to see what lays ahead of him, he has worked his whole life to get to this position and he has earned the right to see what can happen for him, especially after last off season frustrations and a whole season of waiting and wondering. Hopefully he does come back and sign with us, imagine what our secondary would be like! Imo it would be one of the best in the whole league.

One last thing I would like to point out. All these years, a couple of decades now, which includes even the non-play-off years, we have had more than our share of GREAT secondary players. Even though most have them ended up leaving at one point or another during their careers we have had them, I don't know if this actually means anything but anytime that I can find something positive about this organization than I'm gonna grab it because Lord knows we sure do take more than our fair of bashing around here! LOL!

Go Bills and congratulations to Aaron, we love having ya!

Nicely done, Tipster.

I liked the kid after an interview he made on Buffalo Bills dot com where he talked so fluently and about country music and horses and seemed like a Genuinely down to earth intelligent guy. GOOD FOR US!

Yeah...okay.

Down to earth = can't jump?

Renaissance, thy name is @ajwilliams23. :beer:

You all are going to be shocked as hell when Byrd signs a contract with the Bills.

You know something, stranger things have happened. In a small way, I think it diminishes Byrd's ability to use the Bills' latest offer to him as leverage against other teams. It probably won't matter, but you never know.