Who said Defense doesn't win Championships

mrags

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Top defense and top running game against the most pass happy dominant offense in the history of the league and the biggest game in the biggest stage was one of the biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history.

Defense wins every 14-15 years..

Hmmm. Top defense and top running game against the most pass happy dominant offense in the history of the league and the biggest game in the biggest stage was one of the biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history.

And against a franchise QB who was coming off a history making season. If you look at the QB stats for Manning and Wilson you would think the score was reversed. And look at all the fancshise QB's who didn't make it to the Super Bowl like Brees, Rodgers, RIvers and Brady. You need a whole team of contributors anchored by a solid defense more.

Everyone of Seattle's linebackers are bigger and just as fast as Kiko. Hell I'm not sure Chancellor isn't bigger than Kiko. My God they are good. We need to bring in at least three new bigger guys in FA and the draft.

Can we wait for Chancellor's contract and pay him instead? Chancellor is 10x the safety as Byrd.

You may be right and Thomas may be better too but the Bills may never have the chance to sign them. The Bills have an All-Pro FS in Byrd. If you want to give up on him, give him away for nothing, and then move A. Williams to FS what do you do at SS? That just leaves yet another gaping hole on the defense. Searcy can't cover. He can't even tackle that well.

Everyone of Seattle's linebackers are bigger and just as fast as Kiko. Hell I'm not sure Chancellor isn't bigger than Kiko. My God they are good. We need to bring in at least three new bigger guys in FA and the draft.

Seattle......2 of the starting linebackers are 6'0 240 and 6'0 226.

Manning is done so is Brady their time is over. It is a new NFL, you need mobile athletic QBs. They may keep their teams competitive but neither one will win another super bowl. Mark my words.

Well, on that basis the Bills we be in the bowl next year. I'm not saying which one. Mark my words.

Complete teams win championships. The biggest position being qb, as it's one of the only position of 22 that will immediately knock you out without above average play.

I don't think Wilson's play has been above average at all. He was very pedestrian the last 6 weeks.

Stupid plays don't win games either. It started from the get go when the hotshot Bronco returner decided returning the opening kickoff from 9 yards deep in the end zone was an intelligent move. He got to the 12, which ensured that the errant snap on the next play would reach the end zone. It was downhill from there.

I don't think Wilson's play has been above average at all. He was very pedestrian the last 6 weeks.

Not today. He made key plays on those 3rd downs....EJ needs to watch and learn how Wilson throws the ball to a moving target. You got to have confidence in your receive and release.

Two picks, one for 6, two fumbles, a botched snap that goes for a safety and a KR for a score.

The greatest offense in history could never overcome the culmination of these things. And they didn't.

or.... The Seattle defense didn't allow them to get a first down until the middle of the 2nd Q. At the end of the day, the Seattle defense won the game today against one of the most high powered offenses we've ever seen. It's a fact.

I won't argue that the best offense in the league can't overcome that. At the same time, it wasn't a fluke that there were fumbles and interceptions. It's because the defense was extremely impressive.

Edited by mrags

Not today. He made key plays on those 3rd downs....EJ needs to watch and learn how Wilson throws the ball to a moving target. You got to have confidence in your receive and release.

It makes things a lot easier when your defense is all time great and you have an excellent running game. I can't knock him as he won the Super Bowl but it was his team carrying him not vice versa. The Seahawks victory flies in the face of the you have to have a great qb to win it all stance of many.

In fact I would claim Eli manning (2), joe Flacco, and Russell Wilson are all good but not great qbs. That would be 4 of the last 8. Depending on where you fall with roethlisberger you could claim 6 of 10 (I won't). The first steelers win though I believe he had the worst qb rating of any sb winning qb. So say 5 of 10, again not the end all be all many claim.

Edited by section122

or.... The Seattle defense didn't allow them to get a first down until the middle of the 2nd Q. At the end of the day, the Seattle defense won the game today against one of the most high powered offenses we've ever seen. It's a fact.

I won't argue that the best offense in the league can't overcome that. At the same time, it wasn't a fluke that there were fumbles and interceptions. It's because the defense was extremely impressive.

Definitely. Denver had NO ANSWER for the Seattle D. It was pathetic.

It makes things a lot easier when your defense is all time great and you have an excellent running game. I can't knock him as he won the Super Bowl but it was his team carrying him not vice versa. The Seahawks victory flies in the face of the you have to have a great qb to win it all stance of many.

In fact I would claim Eli manning (2), joe Flacco, and Russell Wilson are all good but not great qbs. That would be 4 of the last 8. Depending on where you fall with roethlisberger you could claim 6 of 10 (I won't). The first steelers win though I believe he had the worst qb rating of any sb winning qb. So say 5 of 10, again not the end all be all many claim.

it's more than that. The defenses outrank the offenses more often then the vice versa. It's late and my phone battery is almost dead and I've looked it all up before but the numbers are there.

The Bills had the #2 rushing team and a top 10 defense and yet the difference between the Seahawks and Bills is the difference between a sand castle and the great wall of China.

The Seahawks have better coaching, a better front office, and an offense that can control the line of scrimmage and clock by both running and passing.

If this game isn't the argument to build the very best O line you can...then I don't know what is!

This is almost the exact same reason Brady has failed in his last two SB's, as his line couldn't handle the pressure from that Giants D line in either game.

The Colts were a one trick pony with Manning at QB, as they get a lead and then pin their ears back and rush the passer. So if they don't get the lead and Manning is under pressure ...its game over. Just like with the Broncos this year!

Reminded me of Super Bowl XXV with Buffalo having the #1 scoring offense being completely shut down by the Giants.

The Bills screwed themselves against the Giants in that game. That year Thurman Thomas was 70% of the offense all season, and once in the SB all Kelly did was try and throw all game.

Plus that Bills defense was built on stopping the pass, and was gashed by the run game...sound familiar?

I think the pressure of the Super Bowl favors defenses. It's easier to play defense when amped up, than to execute a precision offense. It always seems like a few boneheaded plays lose the Super Bowl.

But regardless, if defense wins championship, offense wins games. Right now the Bills need to win games before they can win championships.

The Bills had the #2 rushing team and a top 10 defense and yet the difference between the Seahawks and Bills is the difference between a sand castle and the great wall of China.

The Seahawks have better coaching, a better front office, and an offense that can control the line of scrimmage and clock by both running and passing.

If this game isn't the argument to build the very best O line you can...then I don't know what is!

This is almost the exact same reason Brady has failed in his last two SB's, as his line couldn't handle the pressure from that Giants D line in either game.

The Colts were a one trick pony with Manning at QB, as they get a lead and then pin their ears back and rush the passer. So if they don't get the lead and Manning is under pressure ...its game over. Just like with the Broncos this year!

The Bills screwed themselves against the Giants in that game. That year Thurman Thomas was 70% of the offense all season, and once in the SB all Kelly did was try and throw all game.

Plus that Bills defense was built on stopping the pass, and was gashed by the run game...sound familiar?

I don't think there is an O-line in the league that could stop Seattle tonight. Building O-line's is important, but Seattle tossed around a Denver O-line that didn't let Manning get touched for 2 straight playoff games.

I don't think there is an O-line in the league that could stop Seattle tonight. Building O-line's is important, but Seattle tossed around a Denver O-line that didn't let Manning get touched for 2 straight playoff games.

The Broncos lost their starting LT in Ryan Clady who was a first round draft pick, and in most of the games this year it didn't make a big difference. Although, In this game it made a huge difference!

Marv Levy screwed the Bills against the Giants in that game. That year Thurman Thomas was 70% of the offense all season, and once in the SB all Kelly did was try and throw all game.

Fixed that sentence for you

I guess it's time to draft another cornerback...

Why Gilmore, Robey, and McKelvin are a good starting three. Resign Byrd. We need LB's that can cover TE's, that can hit WR's, and can rush the QB.

Fixed that sentence for you

Marv didn't screw the team in that SB. Don't forget that Ted Marchibroda taught Kelly to call his own plays, and Kelly did just that.

Another Bills fan sitting in the seat next to me made an observation in the first quarter of that game. He stated Kelly passing so much, is he trying to get the MVP?

Coaching is one of the keys here. The Bills have 3 young QBs with no experience. They have a D loaded with talent that should be the backbone of the team. So what do they do? Run a no huddle attack that maximizes possessions for both them and their opponent. Just idiotic. Unless your have the better offense on the field by a decent margin, running an up tempo offense makes zero sense.

If the Bills did what the Hawks did - run the ball, keep the opposing team's offense off the field and allow your D to dominate they'd have a few more wins to show for it, I fully believe that. No, they wouldn't suddenly be the Seahawks but they'd have given themselves a better chance to win.

It's the old saying, if I play Michael Jordan one on one to 30 I have zero chance of winning. But if I play him one on one to 1 I have a chance. Minimize possessions and the teams become more equal. Maximize them and the divide gets wider and wider. It's not rocket science