Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

papazoid

Try reducing the width and height of the goalposts first. The whole place kicking game is too easy. All the coaches rely on it too much. Lets have more fourth down attempts in opponents territory!

This seems like it could be the topic of a thread....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't work. The commish says he wants to make the game safer. If teams are forced to call a 'real' play rather than an extra point (where guys really aren't blocking, rushing unless it is the end of the game) the risk of injury is raised.

Then ban running - make everyone walk. And instead of tackling, all you have to do is hit the ball carrier with a pillow.

Why don't they just move the xtra point back 20-25 yards??

this seems like a better idea. I like how Goddell is trying to make the game more interesting, but as someone pointed about above, he is essentially just removing the kick by giving the 7th point, and allowing the option of a "2 pt conversion" which either gives the 8th point or makes it 6. Perhaps this is somehow concussion related but I doubt it. I'd move it back. Then perhaps if you run a fake Extra point you get 3 points. something to think about. 2 pt. conversion from same spot.

I don't think they should get rid of it, but go to something like the Rugby extra point conversion. Wherever you score along the goal line horizontally, you have to kick from there. So if you score in the middle of the field you kick from there, towards the sideline you kick from there. Then remove offensive blockers and make the defense rush from the goal line when the kicker moves towards the ball (can only attempt to block kick not tackly the kicker). This would force kickers back 15 yards at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2deEnqLizE

The high success rate ( 99.6% ) coupled with the injury risk outweighs the very slim drama of a possible miss. Far more significant is the removal from the game of the potential surprise two-point attempt from placekick formation. But that also happens very rarely.

There's also another benefit to dumping the extra point. The ensuing TV timeout would give the replay official a little extra time to determine whether a full review of the touchdown is needed.

http://profootballta...nt-makes-sense/

I think the bolded part is the prime reasoning behind this idea. It keeps the flow of the game going, and I think the league is aware of how all these replays are annoying fans, and taking away from the game.

I think it would be fine to do what one poster said, and just eliminate the kick, but allow a team a choice between 7 or take six and go for a 2 point conversion.

I don't think injuries were a big concern (even if they were to come out and say it played a role, they just like to sound concerned), and there are way more effective ways to cut down on the number of plays in a game.

I think it's the stupidest thing in football............Can we then get rid of the catcher drops the third strike, so you can run to first base in baseball rule?

You could write a novel on ways baseball can speed up the game. Though if they did figure it out, im not sure what I would need something else to watch when I have insomnia

You could write a novel on ways baseball can speed up the game. Though if they did figure it out, im not sure what I would need something else to watch when I have insomnia

Not what I was going for there. I love baseball more than any other sport...........I think that's a stupid rule. Where'd it even come from? And, I think the extra point is just as stupid in football. You score, you should get whatever points it's worth. Why mess with it with an extra point..............If you hit a grand slam, do they let you take a pitch to try to hit one more home run to take another run on?.............In hockey, do you score and then get a free breakaway to tack one on?............It's just stupid.

Lets get rid of the place holder..make it a drop kick and push it back further, that woudl make more sense!

Also think of the scoreboard operator, it takes about 10 minutes for them to figure out how to change the time on the clock, now think how long it would take for them to subtract a point!

Geez how simple could it be. You score a TD and get 6 points like you do now. You can either take the one point like you do now by kicking the PAT, or go for 2, also just like you can now. All this is doing is eliminating the actual kicking of the PAT. Pretty freaking simple.

I am all for it. The extra point adds nothing to the game.

And for those calling for fewer commercials, forget about it. If anything they will replace the PAT with extra commercials. They need to pay for the crazy NFL salaries somehow.

100% agree on this.

This x1000000000. Of all the sports, nfl is by far the worst w commercials.

One drive:

Team x receives the ball. Commercial.

Team x scores. Commercial.

Team x kicks off. Commercial before team y starts.

Sprinkle an occasional injury timeout or regular timeout and you could very well have 4-5 commercials within the duration of a team's single possession, with the drive itself only taking 2-3 minutes.

Its mind-numbingly bad.

Even if they do away with the extra point I don’t think it would stop the commercial barrage. That’s a large part of how the league is making it’s money. Look for more commercials, not less, unfortunately.

And I wish Goodell would stop messing with the game. He’s really irritating at this point.

I still think field goals kicked over 50 yards should be worth 4 points...just saying

I've heard other people talk about that. I absolutely hate that idea. Think about a team down by four late in the game. They would be trying to drive for a TD, but then if the clock was ticking down they would have to choose between going for the touchdown or intentionally losing yardage on a play to try for a four point FG. Similar choices if down by 3. What about a 48 yarder? Coaches would have their long snapper snap it 2 yards further so it would be a 50. It would be messy and really take away from the game IMO.

I know Gronk would be a fan of eliminating the extra point. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/bill-belichick-takes-some-heat-for-rob-gronkowskis-injury/

And, while many remember the Ronnie Harmon dropped pass against the Browns in 1990, on the Bills preceding possession they scored a TD but the kick failed. Had the extra point been good, a field goal would have tied the game after the Harmon drop.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

http://profootballta...he-extra-point/

I knew Roger would come around, he is following step one of my plan to eliminate the kicking game :devil: :devil:

Not what I was going for there. I love baseball more than any other sport...........I think that's a stupid rule. Where'd it even come from? And, I think the extra point is just as stupid in football. You score, you should get whatever points it's worth. Why mess with it with an extra point..............If you hit a grand slam, do they let you take a pitch to try to hit one more home run to take another run on?.............In hockey, do you score and then get a free breakaway to tack one on?............It's just stupid.

Just for argument's sake, would you be ok if they eliminated Free Throws from basketball?

In some ways it's the same. Why should a team be rewarded by getting a free throw on a foul? Can't they just get the ball back with a fresh shot clock?

Just for argument's sake, would you be ok if they eliminated Free Throws from basketball?

In some ways it's the same. Why should a team be rewarded by getting a free throw on a foul? Can't they just get the ball back with a fresh shot clock?

Except extra points aren't awarded for penalties. So it is a bad analogy.