Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

papazoid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the issue is that the extra point is virtually automatic then make it more difficult. Move the kick to the hashmarks, move it back or narrow the goal posts. Hell do all three, ramp of the degree of difficulty! There's a lot of ways to make it more difficult.

If it has become too automatic, it means at some point it wasn't too automatic. So Roger must address what has changed. The hashmark, distance and width haven't changed recently although they did move the posts to the back of the end zone many years ago.

The kicking teams have become better, so that must be addressed. Have the kickers kick with their non-dominant leg. That would make it more difficult.

It does eliminate the option of setting up for an XP and faking it, but that seems too rare to make much of a difference. How about making teams all go for two? Or they could have a choice of going for one from the 1 or 2 yard line or two from the 5 or 10. Something like that.

How about moving goal posts? Back and forth, back and forth.

Really, though, if they are going to get rid of it, just get rid of the 1 point option and make every team go for 2. What Barley said right above. The taking points off seems unnecessarily complicated.

I think it would be difficult to passionately defend the extra point --- afterall, next to the kickoff that sails out of the endzone, it's the most boring play of any game --- I actually like the idea, 7 points for TD, risk a point to get another point on the 2-point try ---- as for commercials, I hate them like everyone else -- I think we are heading toward commercial scrolls during games and branding in and around the field of play (ala hockey) ---

or the commercial breaks, that their not going to do away with, will occur more often during drives.

Oh man, I think that would be my breaking point. I never understood why they don't simply incorporate advertisement during the game and reduce all the mandatory commercial timeouts. The game would flow so much smoother.

For example, while the players are in the huddle, simply put up a Bud Light graphic on the TV or have a Toyota Tundra drive across the TV and run over Tom Brady in the huddle. In all seriousness, other countries do this with their sports broadcasting and I think it's an effective way to sneak in the advertisement without a mandatory commercial timeout. I understand the regular timeouts during the course of a game, but to have mandatory commercial timeouts makes me want to vomit.

Edited by bobobonators

Seems unnecessarily complicated for something that adds nothing to the game.

Geez how simple could it be. You score a TD and get 6 points like you do now. You can either take the one point like you do now by kicking the PAT, or go for 2, also just like you can now. All this is doing is eliminating the actual kicking of the PAT. Pretty freaking simple.

I am all for it. The extra point adds nothing to the game.

And for those calling for fewer commercials, forget about it. If anything they will replace the PAT with extra commercials. They need to pay for the crazy NFL salaries somehow.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Why don't they just move the xtra point back 20-25 yards??

As long as you can go for 2 from a 'realistic' distance this (and/or narrowing the goalposts etc.) makes sense. I'd be comfortable with the ball being placed anywhere from the 2-5 if a team wants to go for 2.

I'm actually in favor of removing the XP so long as it's done correctly.

1. Keep a TD at 6 points.

2. XP are no longer permitted.

3. You have to run a play after the TD to try and get 2 points. In essence, the XP will be permanently replaced by a 2 pt conversion attempt.

That's how I would do it. It's fairly simple and really wouldn't change anything about the game other than the fact that a 7 point play would never exist again. It would either be a 6 point score or an 8 point score when scoring a TD.

I'm actually in favor of removing the XP so long as it's done correctly.

1. Keep a TD at 6 points.

2. XP are no longer permitted.

3. You have to run a play after the TD to try and get 2 points. In essence, the XP will be permanently replaced by a 2 pt conversion attempt.

That's how I would do it. It's fairly simple and really wouldn't change anything about the game other than the fact that a 7 point play would never exist again. It would either be a 6 point score or an 8 point score when scoring a TD.

Won't work. The commish says he wants to make the game safer. If teams are forced to call a 'real' play rather than an extra point (where guys really aren't blocking, rushing unless it is the end of the game) the risk of injury is raised.

Won't work. The commish says he wants to make the game safer. If teams are forced to call a 'real' play rather than an extra point (where guys really aren't blocking, rushing unless it is the end of the game) the risk of injury is raised.

LOL. Well then I'd tell the commish that he can't have his cake and eat it too. :nana:

LOL. Well then I'd tell the commish that he can't have his cake and eat it too. :nana:

Same thing is true if you move the ball back 15-20 yards or narrow the goalposts (which I advocated above). In retrospect, none of these has a snowball's chance in hell of being successful because of the injury issue. It will either stay as is or move towards the commish's plan.

As long as you can go for 2 from a 'realistic' distance this (and/or narrowing the goalposts etc.) makes sense. I'd be comfortable with the ball being placed anywhere from the 2-5 if a team wants to go for 2.

Try reducing the width and height of the goalposts first. The whole place kicking game is too easy. All the coaches rely on it too much. Lets have more fourth down attempts in opponents territory! Edited by 75Bills

I still think field goals kicked over 50 yards should be worth 4 points...just saying

this where a long snapper will really earn his pay.....instead of attempting a 45 yard FG hiking it from the 28 yard line and spotting it on the 35.....fire that baby back to the 40 yard line and go for 4.

Edited by papazoid

Same thing is true if you move the ball back 15-20 yards or narrow the goalposts (which I advocated above). In retrospect, none of these has a snowball's chance in hell of being successful because of the injury issue. It will either stay as is or move towards the commish's plan.

The way I look at it, the NFL has already pretty much eliminated the kickoff return by moving it up to the 35yd line. So the mandatory 2 pt conversion would kind of even things out again.