Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

papazoid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One rule change regarding pat attempts and two point conversions I think should be considered is to allow the defense to score on them. I realize that doesn't address the perceived issue, but I figure this is the thread to post it in.

One rule change regarding pat attempts and two point conversions I think should be considered is to allow the defense to score on them. I realize that doesn't address the perceived issue, but I figure this is the thread to post it in.

If the defense returns a 2 point conversion, they get two points. I agree.

If the defense returns a 2 point conversion, they get two points. I agree.

If the defense returns a two point conversion, the other team automatically forfeits.

Because if you have a 2-point conversion returned for a score, you suck far too !@#$ing badly to win.

If the defense returns a two point conversion, the other team automatically forfeits.

Because if you have a 2-point conversion returned for a score, you suck far too !@#$ing badly to win.

No different from throwing a pick six on the 1 yard line. Didn't we do that?

I think Goodell's proposal doesn't go far enough. After scoring a TD, a team should be able to wager up to 7 points on a one-shot play from the 2 yard line. Very few games would be out of reach anymore!

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

http://profootballta...he-extra-point/

This has been necessary for literally decades. The day the XP disappears won't be too soon.

I still think field goals kicked over 50 yards should be worth 4 points...just saying

Beat me to it - was going to post same - except I might make it 55 or greater. Might even make it fewer than 3 points for shorter field goals. 1 point inside the 15, 2 points for 15-35, 3 points for 35-55, and 4 points for > 55. Ha, this would be an analytics nightmare!

Try reducing the width and height of the goalposts first. The whole place kicking game is too easy. All the coaches rely on it too much. Lets have more fourth down attempts in opponents territory!

I would like to see a crossbar on the TOP of the goalposts - have to get it in the square or else no good. Would also eliminate those judgement calls where the ball sails directly over one of the posts.

I've heard other people talk about that. I absolutely hate that idea. Think about a team down by four late in the game. They would be trying to drive for a TD, but then if the clock was ticking down they would have to choose between going for the touchdown or intentionally losing yardage on a play to try for a four point FG. Similar choices if down by 3. What about a 48 yarder? Coaches would have their long snapper snap it 2 yards further so it would be a 50. It would be messy and really take away from the game IMO.

Snap it 2 yards and then watch it get blocked - by your center's behind. Don't think that's gonna happen.

Edited by ChasBB

Just for argument's sake, would you be ok if they eliminated Free Throws from basketball?

In some ways it's the same. Why should a team be rewarded by getting a free throw on a foul? Can't they just get the ball back with a fresh shot clock?

It's not the same at all.............How does a penalty/foul compare to an extra point?

And, what you're saying actually does happen, unless it's a shooting foul of the team is now in the bonus situation.

If they do away with the extra point, then they can add another commercial to take it's place. That's what this is all about.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

http://profootballta...he-extra-point/

So why not do away with the run the RB up the middle on first down? Just get the ball with 2nd and 9. Get to the exciting plays faster.

If they want to improve the product eliminate half of the commercials, eliminate one ref, get the 300 people that stand on the sideline off the field, and make the players behave like adults. If they want to make it safer replace the helmet with leather.

I agree with House, leave the game alone.

The NFL has the highest viewership and makes the most money out of any sport. Why change it?

From speaking with others and reading this board, the majority hate change. All the QB protection rules, increased reviews/commercials, and new kickoff distance are disliked.

If it ain't broken why fix it?!?

(The only possible answer is corporate NFL greed. If anyone thinks it's excitement or safety, they have at best a learning disability and at worst the mental capacity of Paris Hilton on crack with long term syphallis induced dementia.)