If you were GM for a week, what would you do?

13player

Looking back over the years at the superbowl winners there is really not much that impressed me. The parity in the league is overwhelming that any team could win, any year. I think the Bills are closer than everyone thinks but they got to make the right moves in the off season. A couple of quick moves and I think the Bills are in the Superbowl discussions.

1) Sign Byrd and make him the highest paid safety.

2) Trade Stevie Johnson (hopefully for a second or third)

3) Draft the best biggest reciever available with the first pick ( get a real #1 reciever)

4) Draft a LG with your second pick

5) sign another big tightend in free agency (the best available)

6) use the second you get for Stevie and take the best pash rusher available

7) Draft a new running back in the third ( freds getting old we need another brusher)

8) remaining draft picks load up on Linemen and corners never have enough of either of those spots.

9) EJ is getting better and will grow more into the position

I think those moves make us a serious superbowl contender next year or two.

IMHO.

Edited by 13player

Looking back over the years at the superbowl winners there is really not much that impressed me. The parity in the league is overwhelming that any team could win, any year. I think the Bills are closer than everyone thinks but they got to make the right moves in the off season. A couple of quick moves and I think the Bills are in the Superbowl discussions.

3) Draft the best biggest reciever available with the first pick ( get a real #1 reciever)

7) Draft a new running back in the third ( freds getting old we need another brusher)

8) remaing draft picks load up on Linemen and corners never have enough of either of those spots.

IMHO.

That would definitely be a world's record for GM productivity in one week.

When you looked at these past Superbowl winners - did you find many that traded away their best receiver the off season before making a Superbowl run?

Except I would argue that next year Stevie wouldn't be our best WR anymore.

If I had to choose one of the 2 scenarios of:

Stevie, Woods, Goodwin

Or

Woods, Goodwin, and an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and the extra cap relief

Then I choose option 2 all day long. Stevie has chronic leg muscle tissue injuries, shows up small in big moments, disappears all the time in meaningful games, and made a career of getting to a measly 1000 yards barely through compiling lots of garbage time stats in blow outs with Fitzy to make his season look more impressive on the stat sheet.

And I say this as a guy who has always liked Stevie and even defended him. But facts are facts, and at this point of his career he hasn't figured out how to matter when it counts the most nor stay on the field. And given his lack of off season dedication to make sure he fixes those areas, he has stopped earning the benefit of the doubt from me and I see more value in starting Woods and Goodwin and dumping his salary and getting a draft pick we can use.

Edited by Alphadawg7

8) remaining draft picks load up on Linemen and corners never have enough of either of those spots.

IMHO.

I'm guessing the week I'm a GM is during draft week. I'm a big fan of Byrd and would like him signed long-term. You can do that and draft a G in the same week.

IMHO.

I am with you on a lot of this. However, I would say its hard to determine how to use this picks this early. I think first round could easily be a top OL, LB, TE, or WR. I also don't think we need a pass rusher in the first 4 rounds. I think OL, TE, WR, and LB are bigger needs as our pass rush has been much improved. I definitely do not agree with taking a RB in the 3rd...we can find value way later, on FA market, etc.

I agree on the Stevie move and even started a thread about it last week. I have never been a trade our better players guy, but Stevie has hit his ceiling and its not that high. He's been around too long to still not be working on strength and conditioning in the offseason and his dropsies.

Lol, we lead the NFL in sacks, have more sacks already than all of last year, and are on pace to set a franchise record for sacks, and we need a pass rusher? Huh?

As much as I like Stevie, if that money is the difference between signing Byrd and letting him walk, I'm giving it to Byrd all day...he can be a game changer, especially in this D where the QB has to get the ball out quick

Edited by matter2003

Not sure why your laughing, your right we are leading at pass rush and you want to stay that way if you want to win, you better get some depth at that position because after you get past the starting 4 and hughes we got nothing. What kills anyteam is no depth at key positions or have you forgot the start of the seand with no great corners, mind you they did ok but we did not win enough games without Byrd, leodis, gilmore you could have argued we dont need and corners in August, you would have wrong.

same thing with pass rushing.

Edited by 13player

That would definitely be a world's record for GM productivity in one week.

:lol:... :worthy:

Build thru the draft. Draft a LBer, TE, LG, RT in whatever order.

Stop letting the top talent on the team leave, sign Byrd. Keep Stevie, and let him get healthy.

They have the QB and defense, so this team is not that far away... if only they figure out how to run the ball to control the LoS & clock properly.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Lol, we lead the NFL in sacks, have more sacks already than all of last year, and are on pace to set a franchise record for sacks, and we need a pass rusher? Huh?

As much as I like Stevie, if that money is the difference between signing Byrd and letting him walk, I'm giving it to Byrd all day...he can be a game changer, especially in this D where the QB has to get the ball out quick

Just to be clear, cutting Stevie results in a lot of money in dead cap space.

I also believe the best we would get for him is a 3rd round pick.

Why are people so eager to take a position that looks to be one of our strongest with good depth and making a need? People talk about having a #1 WR like these big physical specimens grow on trees.

Why can't we have good route runners that get open like Stevie and Woods. Have burners in Goodwin and Graham. And just draft an athletic TE to create another problem over the middle?

That sounds like a better recipe for success. But what do I know?

I agree with you OP.

but instead of Stevie i would put CJ out there.

I think we all know now what CJ is. He is a dynamic back with great speed but he is not a 18-22 carry guy. He is a R. Bush type of back.

You could easily get a second for him in this draft and probably a third in 2015. I believe CJ contract is up after 2014 anyway, and i doubt the Bills resign him.

Draft a RB in the second or third and use Freddie for another year.

Keep Stevie, Goodwin, Woods, and Graham.

Get a TE in the first or second. OG in first or second.

LB's in FA.

CB and OL&DL in later rounds.

Here's what I'd do: (1) Maximize my CAP space in 2014 and 2015 by; moving Fitz's $10M in dead money from 2014 back into 2013; restructure Kyle and Mario Williams, Fred Jackson and move more money into 2013 and out of 2014 and 2015 --- extend Aaron Williams --- in other words, spend every cent of the cap space I have in 2013 and free up as much space as I can for 2014, 2015 -- I want and need financial flexibility in those years to add pieces ---- (2) In FA and draft I'd target upgrades to RG, TE, LB and CB --- I don't know Hairston prognosis, if it is bleak, I'd add OT to that list --- I would look for another RB in mid-round of draft ---- I would leave WR alone for this off-season, I just spent a 2nd and 3rd on two very talented guys -- I'd rather look for a diamond in the rough than spend high pick or precious FA $$ on another WR ---- (3) as for Byrd, I'd be willing to go Top 5 deal (average of top 5 safety contracts) -- I would not got to highest paid -- if that keeps him in Buffalo, great -- if not, I assess what I have with Searcy, Meeks, A Williams and D Williams and decide if I need to go after another safety in draft --- ----------------- ----- what's amazing is with coaching and one very good offseason the holes on this team have largely gone away --- think about it --- A Williams and McKelvin are now solid in secondary (COACHING) ---- one trade (Hughes) gives us legitimate depth at pass rush --- a couple decent FA's (Branch, Bryant) one very good UFA (Robey) and we are okay on D-Line and secondary is very close ------ one very good draft --- gives us 2 legitimate WR's --- Woods and Goodwin --- yes, we don't have a true #1 --- but he might have 3 legitimate #2's --- I'll take it ---- same draft gives us potential Pro Bowl and playmaking MLB (Kiko) ---- EJ remains a big question mark --- if he plays like the Pittsburgh game --- OUCH !! -- I'm drafting a QB in round 1 --- if he plays like he did against Jets --- I'm steering clear of drafting a QB and thinking of adding a veteran QB to help with mentoring ---- ---- Bills had a very good offseason in 2013 --- if they can replicate that again in 2014 with solid draft, one or two key FA's and find another diamond in the rough UFA --- we should be able to fill or upgrade the remaining holes --- again, A LOT -- I mean A LOT depends on QB and Manuel being "the guy" --- if he is not, we will be back to square one --- QB is that important ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Why are people so eager to take a position that looks to be one of our strongest with good depth and making a need? People talk about having a #1 WR like these big physical specimens grow on trees.

Why can't we have good route runners that get open like Stevie and Woods. Have burners in Goodwin and Graham. And just draft an athletic TE to create another problem over the middle?

this!

IMHO.

I like your thread title. So I'll play along. My last post before I get back to my tps reports.

If I was the gm for a week I would bang all the fine looking interns. Fire the ugly ones.

I would give myself a huge raise and I would fire Ralph!

I would throw a real bad @ party paid by Byrd since I would give him an extenstion. But not highest paid safety. I would make him #5 with a huge signing bonus so he takes it.

I would ban Kolb from coming back. Heck I'll make him the highest paid qb as long as he must sign on another team.

I would also put a shock collar on Hackett. Everytime he calls for "Spiller up the middle for 1 yard" gain he gets shocked. My meter would give me a range like this "tiny shock-med shock-high shock-just paralyze the muthafu*** shock"

This is not bad. I impress myself.

I like your thread title. So I'll play along. My last post before I get back to my tps reports.

If I was the gm for a week I would bang all the fine looking interns. Fire the ugly ones.

I would throw a real bad @ party paid by Byrd since I would give him an extenstion. But not highest paid safety. I would make him #5 with a huge signing bonus so he takes it.

I would ban Kolb from coming back. Heck I'll make him the highest paid qb as long as he must sign on another team.

I would also put a shock collar on Hackett. Everytime he calls for "Spiller up the middle for 1 yard" gain he gets shocked. My meter would give me a range like this "tiny shock-med shock-high shock-just paralyze the muthafu*** shock"

I had no idea that the Ex-Mayor of San Diego is a Bills' Fan. Cool. :thumbsup:

Outstanding, love them all. I was going to do everything within my power to fire Littman, but if you can get rid of Ralph, the job is yours. :beer:

A week is not enough time to make any significant contribution to the team. So I would probably see how much swag I could get my hands on and get autographed by Kiko, Mario, and EJ while I still had access to the locker room. Plus I'd try to use my new title to see how far I could get with some Jills.

1. Sign Jimmy Graham, TE. Who would you rather have, dollar for dollar: Stevie Johnson or Jimmy Graham?

2. Trade Stevie for a 2nd round pick. I love Stevie by the way but I feel that our offense will be much better with multiple vertical threats to open things up for Spiller.

3. Draft for best value with an emphasis on a 3 down LB to compliment Kiko, big WR and road grading G. Perhaps we could trade up to get Khalil Mack and Mike Adams with our three picks in the first two rounds? Then load up on OL and CB depth.

4. Re-sign Chandler, Moats and Carpenter to reasonable contracts.

5. Sign Byrd to a long-term deal paying top #5 money.

6. Make sure there is enough cap room to extend Cordy Glenn ASAP.

Mike Evans. Geterdone

I'd love for us to trade up for elite OL prospect Jake Matthews. Put him at RT and move Pears to LG, which gives us (from left to right):

Glenn, Pears, Wood, Urbik, Matthews - which on paper is a dominant offensive line.

Give EJ every chance possible to succeed, Superbowl teams win at the line.

Well if I was the GM with the Buffalo Bills,

I'd sign Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers and hopefully one of them can beat Tom Brady when we play the Patriots.

I bring in Megatron from Detroit, and give them Stevie Johnson.

I'd resign Byrd, I'd Draft the TE from University of North Carolina Effron. I'd bring back Bobby April as special teams coach and assistant head coach.

I'd sign a deal with a developer to build a brand new stadium. I'd make sure that there were 2 Bison at every home game for fans to see, compliments of the Buffalo Zoo in a safely approved holding pen.

I'd ban from the stadium all those old horrible jerseys that we wore during the JP losman, Trent Edwards Terrell Owens era. Id allow people with those old horrible jerseys get to trade in at 50 percent of the value of a New Bills Jersey.

Then Id have a big bon fire and burn all those old horrible jerseys, and exercise the demons of the past. they might even have to sacrifice a virgin, that's if they can find one.

and if the fire start to,die out Id throw in those horrible blue pants at the bills wear.

I'd make a deal with the Jersey manufacturers to come up with a red jersey for the Buffalo Bills.

If you were GM for a week, what would you do?

I'd order a few dozen jerseys of all my star players and get photos, memorabilia, posters and anything else I could think of, have them autograph them all as a retirement plan. Then I'd drive the company car to the airport, hop a plane to Vegas and put the corporate Amex card to the test for about six of those seven days.

good times, man. good times. :ph34r: